Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2017, 11:39   #23926
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is just too common here and we have had videos right here on this thread from a route connecting another haven (Daman & Diu) to Saurashtra region of Gujarat.
Having been to Diu so many times by road , I agree with you. Diu is a haven for people from Saurashtra to enjoy drinks. In fact, cops and politicians are involved in smuggling through the Diu-GJ checkpost.

I remember this one time where I was shocked to see once GJ cop at the checkpost telling one group of travellers that they can take bottles of alcohol along but they have to "declare" how many bottles they want to carry to their destinations in GJ and to pay the cops for "protection". If one buys alcohol bottles or beer cans in a liquor shop in Diu, the shop owner usually tips off the cops at the checkpost with the car's registration number. The car would then draw special attention from the cops and they would check each & every nook an corner of the car including body-searching the passengers and driver. If caught, they would demand a big fat bribe to let them go after confiscating the alcohol (as they did not "declare it") Clear case of organised crime that was going on there, atleast when I was there.

Then one time while coming back from Diu(to Veraval) with a group of friends way back in 2006 or 07 in our Hyundai Accent, I was at the wheel and was always the designated driver(I am a teetotaller), one of my friends was completely drunk and was sleeping in the rear seat. After thoroughly checking the car, the cops saw him and this apparently "sanskaari" cop among them was threatening to "inform" my parents and asked where my father worked, in a shameless attempt to extract money. I said "Go ahead, here's the number. My parents know I don't drink". Then he asked for my drunk friend's parents number. I said here it is, call them. Not knowing what to do, he said "Jaava Dio" ,which means Go in Gujarati.

A clear case of drunk driving in "dry" GJ on the Diu-Kodinar highway(NH51) from October last year.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 29th June 2017 at 11:52.
skanchan95 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 12:17   #23927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Fortuner and XUV 500 Crash:

Horrific.

If you look closely the Fortuner tried to shift lanes to avoid bikers and in turn got a light push from bus at back. He then loses control and jumps the divider to come directly at XUV.

This is why I insist on driving in the left / middle lane on multi lane highways. Gives you a bit of reaction time. Though in this case XUV was overtaking the Canter so could not do anything.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2017 at 07:22. Reason: Adding quote linking to the earlier time this video was shared...
Old 29th June 2017, 12:42   #23928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Looked at the video of this accident and it seemed completely to be the rider's fault as he banged into it head on coming on the wrong side at very high speeds. Terrible!!
The condition of the poor auto gives chills to the core and due to the 2 wheeler dude this guy has to pay the price. Great machine comes with greater responsibility is only in papers , god knows when it comes to practice.

Is there a CCTV footage? or post accident video? I need to share it to a dude who owns a KTM and does similar stunts.
Reisender is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 14:53   #23929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
Front on collision between an XUV (looks like Zoomcar) and Fortuner on NH1 (as per video notes). Is there anything that the XUV driver could have done to avoid it
The XUV is not a zoom car, check out the plates. Have to feel for the XUV'ian here, it was clearly a case of the Fortuner trying to overtake the truck from the left and swaying to the right to go through. He should have at least applied brakes on seeing the two wheelers right ahead of him instead of attempting this horrific manoeuvre, crazy idiot.

On another note, the XUV guy literally saved the lives of the two-wheeler riders on his left! Had he not overtaken them and taken the impact of the Fortuner, it would banged in straight into the riders

Any idea about injuries here? Hoping there wasn't any fatal casualty
Old 29th June 2017, 15:25   #23930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Is there a CCTV footage? or post accident video? I need to share it to a dude who owns a KTM and does similar stunts.
deerhunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 15:34   #23931
Distinguished - BHPian

If people will share these videos with younger family and friends, it might help, although in this case there seems to be serious deficiency of eyes and brain.

It is a classic example of going for a small gap, when in a second or two, there would be space to overtake in the clear. Utter stupidity. One of my driving instructors used to say, "Do not be the meat in the sandwich." Here we see the meat being bitten.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 16:13   #23932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Not an accident, but a purely shocking incident.
Source & full article
Very shocking! I travel on this stretch quite frequently, with family too. Never thought this can happen in broad daylight. The area this report talks about is, in general, quite infamous for lawlessness, but something of this sort happening right on the highway in daylight, is alarming. There are quite a few eateries at the start and end of this bypass, wonder if anyone of them has a cctv installed. UP Police should be on top of this to put the culprits behind bars.

Truly sorry for the family. Hope and pray, justice is served soon. May god give them strength in this difficult time.
Old 29th June 2017, 16:18   #23933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
This was in Muvattupuzha, Kerala. The rider was a 20 year old College Student on his friends Duke. He died on the spot, while the AutoRikshaw driver succumbed to injuries later. The pillion rider is in the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If people will share these videos with younger family and friends, it might help, although in this case there seems to be serious deficiency of eyes and brain.

It is a classic example of going for a small gap, when in a second or two, there would be space to overtake in the clear. Utter stupidity. One of my driving instructors used to say, "Do not be the meat in the sandwich." Here we see the meat being bitten.
From what I know, this is less than 100 meter from where they started the bike. They were trying to over-take the Mahindra Bolero Pick-up while they met head on with the AutoRikshaw, who tried his best.

I think the Video has everything evident.

Last edited by bblost : 29th June 2017 at 16:20. Reason: removed embedded video from quoted post.
Old 29th June 2017, 16:19   #23934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
If I have one more light to make people around and behind me as aware as possible, I think there is no harm. Especially in a scenario, where we are not sure if our tail lights are working or not. It happens to all.
If one is not sure whether or not their tail lights are working they should simply use the hazards to stop and check, not bash on regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
But what other option do I have to make myself more visible in pouring rain and warn trailing traffic that I am moving at slower pace due to rain ?
The glow from one's tail lights are more than enough, also driving in the slow lane is enough of an indication that you do not want to speed up, be it during rain, hail or snow regardless of the weather conditions. No one needs to know that you are driving slower due to rain as everyone is experiencing the same weather conditions and driving in the left most lane is obvious that you do not want to go fast. Cars come with a few reflectors, two tail lights that glow even when parking lights are on and 3 that glow when brakes are engaged and one to two rear fog lights if visibility is poor.

For the most part just having your parking lights or headlights on is more than enough during a rainy evening.

If you feel a lack of options then there is just no end to it, you might as well pay 1000 bucks for a bunch of led light strips and stick them all over your car, then install marine speakers behind that loudly announce the speed you are travelling at. Why stop there even? You could rig up an entire laser show also onto the back of your car. Possibilities are endless and if these silly trends really stem from such a serious concern for the need to have multiple options to make oneself more visible, then let me know, as a budding entrepreneur, I would be glad to hook you up

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th June 2017 at 16:34.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 16:33   #23935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
No one needs to know that you are driving slower due to rain as everyone is experiencing the same weather conditions ...
This is mostly, but not always true. Storms can have quite sharply defined edges, and as we suddenly drive into the rain, it is good to tell other to be prepared. This is the situation in which I would use hazard lights. Not in ordinary rain which just happens to be getting heavier --- especially if the guy behind is not far behind.

Each situation has its own appropriate actions. Not all are the same. Don;t have one big dogma, have many small ones
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 16:37   #23936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is mostly, but not always true. Storms can have quite sharply defined edges, and as we suddenly drive into the rain, it is good to tell other to be prepared. This is the situation in which I would use hazard lights. Not in ordinary rain which just happens to be getting heavier --- especially if the guy behind is not far behind.

Each situation has its own appropriate actions. Not all are the same. Don;t have one big dogma, have many small ones
True, that is because folks like you and I have actually bothered to think it all through which is why we can argue that it is okay to use hazards when suddenly embarking into a stormy portion from dry land or when needing to shed a lot of speed due to police barricades or some obstruction that would cause a bottleneck etc.
Old 29th June 2017, 16:38   #23937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
For the most part just having your parking lights or headlights on is more than enough during a rainy evening.

If you feel a lack of options then there is just no end to it, you might as well pay 1000 bucks for a bunch of led light strips and stick them all over your car, then install marine speakers behind that loudly announce the speed you are travelling at. Why stop there even? You could rig up an entire laser show also onto the back of your car.
+1 to that. The point is not about having insane amount of additional lights. They're not gonna help(as we seen some posts before with the Innova guy). The point is to know how to use the ones which are already there in the car correctly. They are there for a reason and are mandatory and are enough to do the job. Provided the owner takes care to ensure they are maintained and operational to the best of their ability at all times.

Agreed, the headlights are quite inadequate in quite a lot of models. But that's another story.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 16:56   #23938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Having been to Diu so many times by road , I agree with you. Diu is a haven for people from Saurashtra to enjoy drinks. In fact, cops and politicians are involved in smuggling through the Diu-GJ checkpost.

A clear case of drunk driving in "dry" GJ on the Diu-Kodinar highway(NH51) from October last year.
Isn't it strange that DIU is an anagram of DUI.

The car was surely driven by someone who was in no condition to be driving. A crash was only waiting to happen, yet another case of "WHEN" rather than "IF". One may call me a sadist, but I sincerely hope the driver of that car is not alive anymore and even if alive, to be incapacitated to drive.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th June 2017 at 17:26. Reason: Removing video from quote...
swissknife is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 20:21   #23939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Isn't it strange that DIU is an anagram of DUI.

The car was surely driven by someone who was in no condition to be driving. A crash was only waiting to happen, yet another case of "WHEN" rather than "IF". One may call me a sadist, but I sincerely hope the driver of that car is not alive anymore and even if alive, to be incapacitated to drive.
For most of the visitors from Gujarat who visit Diu, they only see it as a place where one can drink freely, something which you cannot do in Gujarat(openly). Most of them visit Diu to get drunk and drink alcohol as if there's no tomorrow. I am sure the Eon driver was one such creature. Highly unlikely that he may have survived. The poor truck driver would have landed up in jail for no fault of his.

There was one accident I saw happening near the Diu airport where an Omni turned turtle after jumping over a speed breaker. The driver was pulled out of the vehicle, he was fully awake but was blabbering that the music system in the Omni was on and it had to be switched off. He had a deep cut on his arm and was bleeding profusely. He was so drunk that he could not even stand properly and was swaying around like a drunkard. One good soul in a Zen offered to take him and his friends to the hospital. All of them in the Omni were lawyers from Rajkot. Even after getting inside the car, the drunk driver of the Omni came out again wanting to "switch off the music system". He was pushed back into the Zen and was taken away.

Corrupt and ineffective police further compounds the problem. In the absence of good hotels in Saurashtra, Diu which some good hotels that serve non-veg food, the non-veg food itself becomes an added incentive to visit Diu.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 29th June 2017 at 20:26.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 20:45   #23940
Senior - BHPian

If only Gujarat would allow meat and liquor to be served in the state itself .. those who want to stay vegetarian and sober can definitely still remain so

This is very similar to the chennai to Pondy route a decade or two back when there was prohibition
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed