Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2017, 10:53   #24001
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Saw this badly damaged car this morning right at the VIMS U-Turn, Marathahalli with damage on both front and rear. Not sure if that is the accident spot or traffic police is using this car to block the U-Turn.
I passed this spot at around 7:20 and the U turn was clear. Guess it happened after that time. This U turn should be in the hall of fame for one most absurd ideas implemented in Bangalore along with a few other things. It looks like the car is a Gen 2 Dzire but with its back now no more.

Last edited by audioholic : 7th July 2017 at 10:54.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 15:17   #24002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I always wonder why they decided on such a sharp curve on this bridge because its a good long straight stretch that leads to this curve. So, there is every chance that vehicles will be having a good momentum when they reach this spot and first-timers can easily miss this sharp curve.

Here is the accident spot, I have circled it ,

But I think recently they have put some rumble-strips before this curve, I am not very sure though.

Thank god that the car didn't fall off from the fly-over.
One more accident on this flyover(this is on the Dindigul bypass while going from Bangalore) , a Dzire hit the parapet wall and toppled. I am not sure about the casualties.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture5.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 10th July 2017 at 16:11. Reason: Embedded post had a large picture. Removed.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 16:00   #24003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
One more accident on this flyover(this is on the Dindigul bypass while going from Bangalore) , a Dzire hit the parapet wall and toppled. I am not sure about the casualties.

Attachment 1655736
You are very right - that flyover curve is among the sharpest ones I have encountered on the usually well designed KA/TN highways.

It can catch many long distance drivers unawares as the camber is not well designed and nor is the surface smooth due to the span joints. If I remember correctly, they have put some caution signs and a orange light (?) at the curve.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 09:10   #24004
BHPian

Came across this high speed crash in Hyderabad. 1 dead in the crash

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/v...w/59555260.cms
Old 12th July 2017, 11:59   #24005
BHPian

Here are the CCTV footages of yesterday's I20 crash in Banjara Hills Road no:3, Hyderabad.

It is good to see that the driver of the Honda City coming in the opposite direction has enough time and presence of mind to observe the I20 and to steer away from it's path.

Last edited by Hickstead : 12th July 2017 at 12:05.
Hickstead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 12:03   #24006
Distinguished - BHPian

In another news-piece:

"Big car" syndrome in the courts as well.

In no situation should a driver lose control over vehicle: Court
New Delhi
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

A driver is not expected to lose control over his vehicle even if another driver is not driving properly , a tribunal court has said while awarding Rs 19.60-lakh compensation to the widow, minor children and parents of a vegetable seller who died in a road accident.
The victim, Jugendra, was accused of driving his rickshaw-cart on the wrong side. The tribunal also pointed out that Jugendra's rickshaw-cart was on the extreme right side of the road, whereas the car which hit it had considerable road width available for driving his vehicle.

Jugendra, 28, died of head injuries on October 28, 2016 when a car rammed him. The erring driver, however, contended that the deceased was driving his cart on the wrong side of the road and it was the victim who hit the car.The insurance company with which the car was insured asserted that the accident took place due to the vegetable seller's negligence.

“Even if it is accepted, for the sake of arguments, that the deceased was moving with his rickshaw-cart on the wrong direction of the road, it cannot be brushed aside that rickshaw-cart is a slow moving vehicle...,“ said the motor accident claims tribunal (MACT) presiding officer Sanjay Sharma.

Source: http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...12072017007024

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th July 2017 at 12:30. Reason: Splitting post between 2 threads :)
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 12:32   #24007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Here are the CCTV footages of yesterday's I20 crash in Banjara Hills Road no:3, Hyderabad.

It is good to see that the driver of the Honda City coming in the opposite direction has enough time and presence of mind to observe the I20 and to steer away from it's path.
The first couple of seconds of the first video makes the real cause of the accident quite obvious.
The i20 was going considerably faster than all other traffic around him. He tried cutting between the autorikshaw and the Verna at that speed, encountered understeer, went into the divider because of the understeer, and flipped when the front-right wheel "dug in" due to hitting the divider.
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 14:29   #24008
BHPian

Another fact that could have contributed to the Hyderabad i20 crash is that the road at that spot slopes downwards. Even if the i20 did not make the sharp right to overtake the auto, it was still at too high speed for the downward sloping curved road at that location.
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 14:43   #24009
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
The first couple of seconds of the first video makes the real cause of the accident quite obvious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Another fact that could have contributed to the Hyderabad i20 crash ...
Only one relevant factor in this accident: irresponsible, crazy, stupidly bad driving.

The speed is inappropriate and the driver couldn't handle it anyway. Wrong, wrong and more wrong.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 17:33   #24010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Yes, the Honda City drive used his presence of mind to move away from the path of i20. But the two wheeler coming near the City was lucky to have escaped unhurt. The City made a very sharp cut into the two wheeler lane.
LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 18:42   #24011
Distinguished - BHPian

When I first watched that video, I was concentrating on the junction, thinking this would be the scene of the accident. The actual accident happens so fast I missed it completely first time round!
Old 12th July 2017, 19:07   #24012
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When I first watched that video, I was concentrating on the junction, thinking this would be the scene of the accident. The actual accident happens so fast I missed it completely first time round!
Exactly same thing happened with me as well. Completely missed it the first time around. Saw some debris flying and then realized that something has happened. Had to replay from start.

But the car was too fast for city roads.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 19:13   #24013
Senior - BHPian

The Hyderabad i20 accident is a clear display of carelessness. What so many youngsters don't understand, is that anyone can mash their right foot down on the accelerator and go fast, but being able to maintain those speeds is where skill comes in. My friend's sister had toppled her car on the very same road a couple of years back and just yesterday I was sitting in one of my friend's Honda City while he was recklessly chasing my other buddy in his Accent on the highway to the airport. The whole time I had my heart in my mouth and seat pushed as far back as possible to account for footwell intrusion incase of an accident. It is not the speed that scares me in these instances, but the clear lack of control and sheer levels of luck showered upon us during such ego fueled blasts. It is so obvious that 99.9% of drivers overuse the clutch, don't shift down gears as often as is required, don't look into the horizon and chart out their way through traffic instead flooring it and stopping and making bad decisions and getting stuck and pissing off other road users, they simply don't perceive the shift of weight and forces encountered thus cannot even be expected to control weight shift. It is such a sorry state of affairs, and although it pains me to admit it, seeing and experiencing this lack of skill amongst my peers, makes me support the addition of speed cameras and enforcement of what would otherwise to me, be overly strict speed limits.

It is sad how under appreciated the skill of driving is, thus how under nurtured it becomes allowing such mediocre idiots to be given these powerful (yes even a i20 can be considered overly powerful in the hands of such fools) machines to use on public roads. I wish more folks between the ages of 17 and 25 understood how embarrassing it is when cracking low triple digit speeds has become a display of whose got the biggest rocks instead of who has got better skills.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th July 2017 at 19:15.
IshaanIan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 19:33   #24014
BHPian

According to the reports, the I20 driver's head hit the divider when the car toppled and he died on the spot due to severe head injury. Two others escaped with minor injuries. These guys were engineering students of age group 20-22 and they were out on the road for a restaurant to have lunch and this happend around 1:20 PM on Tuesday.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 02:25   #24015
BHPian

There is something mysterious about this age group of 18-24-ish these days. They do insane stunt-like driving without even being on something like weed or some other drug. Just like that! Mature folks at least need to be drunk or totally sloshed or something to act like that but here it's for free. Like, what the heck let's have some fun and just die. What fun! While going out for lunch or a drive or college or some other seemingly simple thing. And the way they pull off these stunts is in a very scary reckless mindless sinister way. Mostly leading to death. Nothing less.

Now I don't have anything against the age group, but if you do a bit of survey, this is very sinister. And sad.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed