Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2017, 20:39   #24151
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Disclaimer : I have nothing against the orange bike or the ones who own them. But I have nothing but contempt against few of the morons who ride them as if the roads are some racing track.

Why am I mentioning this? Well I have been noticing how stupid they are being driven even when its raining or the roads are slippery with mud, water and gravel because of consistent rains every evening in Bangalore. Was unfortunate enough to notice 4 separate accidents on thursday and friday in which 3 of them involved this orange bike. All these 3 accidents was because of the stupidity of the riders.

1. Near Krupanidhi college service road towards Koramangala. Its raining bit heavily and all are driving carefully. Out comes our hero with a pillion riding fast, spots a hump late hits the brake hard skids and falls along with the pillion.

2. Little further ahead near Onesta, koramangala. Roads were dug up here for some work, not fixed yet and as a result there was gravel. One fellow overtakes me from the left , sees that there is a block and tries to cut across me skids and falls. I barely managed to avoid him. I stopped, helped him up and asked him why was he driving so fast. He said it was raining and he wanted to reach early.

3. This was in wilson garden near Bosch back gate. Two bikes (one was a bullet and the other an orange one), involved in a race (I think so) were racing on the streets cutting across multiple vehicles from all directions. A lady driving a scooty slows down to manage a pothole while this fellow trying to cut across her hits her and she falls down. He rides away while this poor lady is injured and her vehicle is damaged.

I somehow feel that these kind of bikes (powerful and easier to own because of low pricing) is not for us Indians who (i) Don't respect the bike nor the fellow bikers (ii) Do not give an iota of importance to safety of themselves or others (iii) think they own the road (iv) ready to fight with the phrase,"Do you know who I am or Do you know whom I know".

Anyways sorry for the rant guys. And please do not think this as a rant against a particular brand. This was just to highlight how even with best of tech available you still have to ride safe mindful of yourself and others on the road.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 15:27   #24152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Disclaimer : I have nothing against the orange bike or the ones who own them. But I have nothing but contempt against few of the morons who ride them as if the roads are some racing track.

... ... ...

Anyways sorry for the rant guys. And please do not think this as a rant against a particular brand. This was just to highlight how even with best of tech available you still have to ride safe mindful of yourself and others on the road.
There are always brands, with all products, that are popular with the young. Absolutely marketing decisions. Therefore likely that certain brands may be seen being driven badly by those who are too young, and have not been taught, to have a clue. Not that I watch it, but I suspect that the whole culture of films, advertising, etc, encourages this. Marketing departments are interested in sales, not lives.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 11:42   #24153
BHPian

Very unfortunate accident last night in Ahmedabad , speed demon snuffed out two young lives , both were 16 year old out on a joy ride in an Endeavour , without belts , sad !!

details :http://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.co...w/59836142.cms

Last edited by bblost : 31st July 2017 at 16:00. Reason: spelling mistake.
Old 31st July 2017, 13:32   #24154
t18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Chevrolet Cruze falls off Mumbai flyover, killing two.
Another Black Chevrolet Cruze.

Yesterday while I was returning from Pune towards Mumbai on the express way after crossing Lonavla saw a black Cruze driving at crazy speeds on the extreme left of the road and continued in that lane.

As I saw it coming in my rear view mirror I switched to the middle lane. And prayed nobody halts in that shoulder lane. A little ahead saw an Eeco with a flat tyre and a big family out in that lane. Fortunately they were lucky. Then after some distance there was a jam and I dreaded it could be the same car and there was an eicher truck halted horizontally. And the cruze ahead of it all shattered. Couldn't take any pictures as I did not want to add to the jam.

Last edited by bblost : 31st July 2017 at 15:34. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 31st July 2017, 14:04   #24155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
Very unfortunate accident last night in Ahmedabad , speed demon sniffed out two young lives , both were 16 year olds out on a joy ride in an Endeavour , without belts , sad !!

details :http://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.co...w/59836142.cms
The news report mentions the parents knew and let the underage kids take out the car. Should be booked for causing death by negligence on top of the 'letting a minor drive' charge. Idiots.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 16:31   #24156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
When I see a orange bike (or one or two other brands known for speed) in my rear view mirrors I just give them a wide berth and let them overtake. It saves my car paint and my blood pressure, possibly also saves me from a police case from their banging into me (bigger vehicle always blamed type).
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 16:43   #24157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The news report mentions the parents knew and let the underage kids take out the car. Should be booked for causing death by negligence on top of the 'letting a minor drive' charge. Idiots.
The article does say that the parents would be charged for letting the drive. Just sad.
Old 31st July 2017, 17:25   #24158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
When I see a orange bike (or one or two other brands known for speed) in my rear view mirrors I just give them a wide berth and let them overtake. It saves my car paint and my blood pressure, possibly also saves me from a police case from their banging into me (bigger vehicle always blamed type).
Orange is nothing. They seem to have mellowed. You should see the ones who ride their Bullets like idiots here in Bangalore. Their sole intention is to bring shame to that "macho" bike. Sorry, i have no respect for people who have no respect for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
And the unforeseen happened to me today in the Technopark campus in Trivandrum circa 9AM. The van carrying packaged milk chose to swerve right by initially moving toward the left, and my XUV500 ended up rear-ending his vehicle. Damage from a cost perspective would be in the range of 35k INR and the vehicle's side-panels suffered the greatest impact.
Is this a sped-up video? If not, isn't it too fast for a road inside the campus? Just curious.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2017 at 07:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 31st July 2017, 18:09   #24159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Is this a sped-up video? If not, isn't it too fast for a road inside the campus? Just curious.
Dash cam footage always ends up looking faster than actual, I have felt.

If you notice speed displayed at bottom of the screen, it is actually slower than what most of us drive inside any campus.
mpksuhas is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 18:41   #24160
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I think he was following the speed limit as the speed displayed in the dashcam video has only touched 25 km/h. In most of the townships or tech parks this is the legal speed limit. He is not at fault at all !
A speed limit is exactly that - the maximum permissible speed. Speeds have to be moderated keeping in mind trafffic and road conditions. One does not necessarily need to be at the max limit. This is also true for motorways
Zed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:54   #24161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Dash cam footage always ends up looking faster than actual, I have felt.

If you notice speed displayed at bottom of the screen, it is actually slower than what most of us drive inside any campus.
I just noticed the speed display on the cam. The video starts with 32 km/h, goes onto 37 km/h. Too fast in my opinion. :( Campus is like an apartment complex and 40km/h is too fast for even city roads with traffic.
Not justifying what the pickup did, but being slower would've given him more response time.

Last edited by Torqy : 31st July 2017 at 19:57.
Torqy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:47   #24162
BHPian

Quote:
The van carrying packaged milk chose to swerve right by initially moving toward the left, and my XUV500 ended up rear-ending his vehicle.
I have had close shaves in very similar situations in the past. What happens is that some of these drivers tend to move to the left to turn right to make a full turn. This is true especially with long vehicles or trucks that are trying a U turn. They will always need a wide margin to turn the vehicle. In some dual lane roads also it becomes necessary due to parked vehicles, traffic etc. in the other lane.
Maybe the driver of this van must have been a driver of a long vehicle in the past, so he must have done it as a habit.
Well, as usual, who uses turn signals and who uses rear view mirrors, right!!!
Now I have learnt that whenever an opening comes in the middle of the road and I am on the right lane, I slow down and let the vehicle beside me pass completely to avoid such situation.

Last edited by sukhoi30 : 31st July 2017 at 20:48. Reason: removed the URL
sukhoi30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 21:28   #24163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I have had close shaves in very similar situations in the past. What happens is that some of these drivers tend to move to the left to turn right to make a full turn. T
Indicators. It doesnt cost anything but they still wont use them.

And I thought Indians liked free stuff.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 21:51   #24164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An uncanny saviour rose to the occasion- It was the Garmin 45 DashCam (purchased last month on my US Trip) and I showed the footage which clearly showcased the van driver in the wrong- please click the YouTube link.
Sir,

Thank your lucky stars you didnt run into any close observers. You accelerated upto 28 kph at the moment you hit the lorry. Your GPS log is unequivocal on that. He was the one causing the accident, but you were no saint either.

If this was a pedestrian that had come in your way - your speed would've unequivocally established your culpability. I don't think any technopark type area would allow speeds of 28 kph under any circumstance.

Yet another example of how technology can sometimes do a self-goal for its owner I'd say count your blessing they didn't observe the video closely!
phamilyman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 22:02   #24165
BHPian

I don't reckon it's wise enough to pick up on a topic the second time, particularly when I did admit there were lessons I've learnt from this snafu. Hope this makes sense
jacobvarughese is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks