Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:33   #24181
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
isn't it supposed to be fatal if the airbags deploy in a car where the occupant isn't belted up? Isn't that why we have safety stickers asking the occupants to sit as far away as possible from the airbags? It is highly confusing!
Fatal? It could cause injury but I am not sure about death. The death statement is only made to warn against placing children in the front. Also it's much better than having nothing happen and flying out of the windscreen to a much worse fate. Sitting as far away as possible is another very misleading statement. I think you're supposed to make sure to adjust the seat in such a way that your arms and legs have sufficient leverage over the wheel and pedals, and the steering is supposed to be adjusted in tandem with the seat in such a way that the airbag doesn't deploy in your face. Most safety stickers I have read just warn about not leaving kids in the front seat. Some cars come with weight sensors in the seats to monitor whether or not someone is sitting in them and whether or not they are of sufficient age/build (indicated by weight), depending on which the airbag is deployed. Multistage systems also use the weight sensors in the seats to regulate the force at which the airbag is deployed if the seatbelt isn't worn but a person of sufficient weight is seated in the front, the airbag will in most cases, still deploy. I have personally been a passenger in a 25 lakh sedan while it crashed at high speed and observed that the airbags deployed regardless of who was wearing a seatbelt, and all of us walked out of it with minor injuries. Anyway, all I'm saying is that it isn't a thumb rule that airbags do not deploy if seatbelt isn't worn or that if they do, it is fatal. There are way too many other factors at play in the event of a crash, way more forces, measurements and thresholds to be taken into consideration. A little more research ought to make things less confusing for you

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd August 2017 at 23:45.
Old 3rd August 2017, 00:49   #24182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
With the Endeavor being an american product, I would be skeptical about why the airbags haven't deployed until there is a full crash report available on it. Alas this will never happen.
"CCTV footage from a shop near Sunrise Park show the vehicle turned turtle before it hit a tree and somersaulted some distance away."

The airbags probably didn't deploy because the vehicle turned turtle before impact. And it looks like the impact with the tree was on the upper part of the bonnet. Don't think there are airbag sensors at that place.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 04:37   #24183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Don't think there are airbag sensors at that place.
What about the side airbags? Or was this an old model?
Old 3rd August 2017, 07:35   #24184
Senior - BHPian

Of course. This is the previous generation Endy with only the front airbags.
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:24   #24185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Thank you, Sparky. Yes, we saw this on the news and incidentally was posted here too. I am concerned to note that the air bags have not deployed?
The report says that both the kids were not belted up , and the moment the vehicle flipped both were thrown out through the front wind screen.
sanjz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:41   #24186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
The report says that both the kids were not belted up , and the moment the vehicle flipped both were thrown out through the front wind screen.
The parents must be booked for abetting suicide. It's been a while since i've visited this thread, the loss of lives, especially young lives, is too tragic to read on a daily basis and does not set the tone for the day.

However, no amount of horor stories seem to make an impact on the youth, overconfidence, arrogance backed by well connected parents with fat purses will keep creating incidents like this. Unfortunately, I do not see any solution to this unless harsh measures are taken to eradicate the problem at the root.
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:07   #24187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
The parents must be booked for abetting suicide. It's been a while since i've visited this thread, the loss of lives, especially young lives, is too tragic to read on a daily basis and does not set the tone for the day.

However, no amount of horor stories seem to make an impact on the youth, overconfidence, arrogance backed by well connected parents with fat purses will keep creating incidents like this. Unfortunately, I do not see any solution to this unless harsh measures are taken to eradicate the problem at the root.
The main culprits are the parents, in a similar incident near my place a few years back, a 12th std boy crashed his Verna onto the median on the highway and flipped over onto a oncoming santro and killed everyone in the santro, a family of four and the driver, including himself. The police had registered the case against the boys father.I hope the same happens here, of course money speaks in these matters.
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:48   #24188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
The parents must be booked for abetting suicide.
Isn't there something like negligence resulting in death? In some other countries, behaviour that puts children's life at risk can result in the children being taken away.

My dad let me drive the car at a very young age. In fields, sitting on his lap, thus under very close supervision, and I doubt that we ever got out of first gear. To my frustration (but probably his wisdom) he would not allow me to seriously learn/drive the car until a full year later than the minimum UK age. If I had ever even started the engine by myself, I think I would have been severely punished.

Children are no more qualified to judge their parents than they are to drive. At the time it seemed very hard, but I can appreciate all that now.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 19:31   #24189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
This is why you never swerve when you encounter an animal in front of you. In all likeliness, the animal you hit may die but your manoeuvre might just kill somebody else on the road. It just isn't worth the risk.
Are you pointing out that only human lives matter not animal lives? That is an extremely sad statement to make.
beingyukeit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 19:45   #24190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingyukeit View Post
Are you pointing out that only human lives matter not animal lives? That is an extremely sad statement to make.
Isn't it sad to keep some one else life in risk for saving an animal ? What createrkid mean to say is sudden swerve when you are at high speed to save an animal might be risky. So, it will be a better option to have a look at rear view mirror and slam the brakes first when you encounter an animal suddenly on the roads rather than swerving.
No life is inferior to other. But we will have some preferences in panic situations.

Last edited by Hickstead : 4th August 2017 at 19:48.
Hickstead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 20:43   #24191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe, but he's right.

As a teenage learner, I braked hard for a flock of birds (who all flew away anyway, of course ) and got a big telling off from my father. Sure, not many of us would kill or hurt an animal if we can avoid doing so, but do not endanger pedestrians or other drivers.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 20:57   #24192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
This is why you never swerve when you encounter an animal in front of you. In all likeliness, the animal you hit may die but your manoeuvre might just kill somebody else on the road. It just isn't worth the risk.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Isn't it sad to keep some one else life in risk for saving an animal ? What createrkid mean to say is sudden swerve when you are at high speed to save an animal might be risky.No life is inferior to other. But we will have some preferences in panic situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As a teenage learner, I braked hard for a flock of birds (who all flew away anyway, of course ) and got a big telling off from my father. Sure, not many of us would kill or hurt an animal if we can avoid doing so, but do not endanger pedestrians or other drivers.
I learnt driving from my late father. He in turn learnt it in the UK in 1950. He was in the Indian armed forces and sent there to train. In those days folks from the armed forces (even of non-UK countries) could opt for a higher level driving course which the police used to train their personnel in. My dad opted for that. One thing they were taught by the UK police service was 'do not swerve' to save an animal darting across the road. The reason was that you do not want to endanger other humans using the road or the ones in your own car. Animals are important but only after humans.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 4th August 2017 at 21:00.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 20:59   #24193
BHPian

Quote:
Well, there is something called priority. A human life is anytime the bigger priority than an animal's, the way I see it. So I, for one, wouldn't swerve/stomp on the brakes etc to save an animal if I think that people's safety inside​ my vehicle or vehicles around me would be at risk. Actually you have to have that in mind always because mostly there is no time to decide at the particular moment.

One situation which might make me do an evasive maneuver would be if the animal in front is a large one like a horse or one just as big or bigger, just so that I don't have it crashing and coming inside the vehicle through the windshield. That would hurt people badly too.
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 21:55   #24194
BHPian

I still don't get the argument of why a human life is more important than an animal life! They are both sentient beings! If that is a valid excuse to kill an animal, then by extension, there are certain humans who don't value other human life and does that make it okay for them to kill other people just because it's a matter of their priority? A better suggestion would be to stay within limits of our driving capability, and learn to brake in panic situations rather than blindly swerve out of control. As Thad mentioned, it's not needed to brake for birds as they may fly away, but for other animals, most of the time it would suffice to just honk, unless it's cattle.

I get that there might be freak situations were it might not be possible to save an animal's life, as there are accidents with human fatalities, but to just suggest not even to attempt to save another life is quite scary.

Attaching a picture of a rescued dog, who was the victim of a road accident. Someone who didn't consider a dog's life as valuable had mowed down this dog causing his upper and lower jaw to break away and leaving just the tongue hanging. This person didn't bother to help the dog and this dog dragged himself away and spent three months just the same way. Obviously because of his condition he couldn't eat or drink which made his body just live off its own flesh. In the meantime, he had maggots in his body, and there was a hole in his windpipe which meant that any food that was forced into his mouth went directly to his lungs and came out of his nose.

All of this just because someone wasn't careful enough to value a dog's life.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1501863517738.jpg

This was the last picture taken of this dog. He passed away that night and I had him buried the next morning.

This dog could have been saved if someone was just kind enough to have taken this dog to a government veterinary hospital that does treatment for free. It was just sheer luck that I chanced upon this dog. He was under my care for 11 days before he passed away. I got solace from the fact that I atleast knew that the dog was cared for in his final days and was given a decent burial. And this isn't the only such instance. I see dogs with broken limbs almost every single day. Team BHP is a huge community and we need to be responsible in what is being said on this forum and this will influence people. To say animals are not a priority or their lives are lesser than a human life is highly disrespectful to animal rescuers all around. No offence meant to anyone! Cheers!
esoticoreventon is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 22:17   #24195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
I still don't get the argument of why a human life is more important than an animal life! They are both sentient beings! If that is a valid excuse to kill an animal, then by extension, there are certain humans who don't value other human life and does that make it okay for them to kill other people just because it's a matter of their priority? A better suggestion would be to stay within limits of our driving capability, and learn to brake in panic situations rather than blindly swerve out of control. As Thad mentioned, it's not needed to brake for birds as they may fly away, but for other animals, most of the time it would suffice to just honk, unless it's cattle.
There is no valid excuse for killing anything if it can safely be avoided. We are not being hard-hearted or cruel here. I think (couldn't find it afterwards) that I might have run over a cat once, and I have never forgotten that. Not just the cat itself, but, if I did kill it, that, to someone, was like a child. I don't know. Of course, I hope I was mistaken.

My dad was born a British animal lover, a generation before V.Narayan's dad learnt in UK. In fact, he was old enough to not have ever taken a driving test. Still, he gave the lesson that he did. He also pointed out that running into a cow would damage the car almost as much as the cow. Great lessons. I think we've run too much on this off-topic.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed