Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 20:53   #24241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2017080820h45m49s641.png
This happened today morning on the NICE road Bhannerughatta road exit coming from Mysuru road side. A dozing driver in the wee hours of the day may be the reason.
Old 8th August 2017, 23:14   #24242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I haven't really driven in Mumbai ever, but I have noticed that people drive in an excruciatingly laid back manner in Bangalore; they brake unnecessarily a lot of times, begin slowing down way too early and way too much IMO, and they just lose it as soon as it starts to rain, they crawl at snails pace. I think it is because people over-use the clutch or they stay in higher gears that they brake so much. I make it a point to always be in the right gear and if I'm following someone, I drop a gear and maintain the same speed.
So damn true! Even me and my dad talk over the same issues every time on the roads. Excruciatingly laid back, and even slower when it rains! Your observations are spot on!
Although, the fact about over-using the clutch and staying in higher gears is universal. In all my cab rides, I haven't once seen a cab driver practise engine-braking. Most of them just shift it into neutral from whatever gear they are in, when they have to stop. This, if I'm not wrong, also imbalances the car, and puts more load on the brakes. This is commonplace everywhere.

Even I stick to a lower gear if the road ahead isn't clear enough. The higher the gear, the more the car feels like its freewheeling.
Old 9th August 2017, 01:41   #24243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Apart from that, I have to admit, traffic is much smoother in Mumbai than Bangalore.
Adapting to driving in Mumbai surely needs a couple of tweaks coming from just about anywhere else.. but what you've seen is not always necessary, its just that the taxiwallahs are famous for such driving - late braking, leaving inches in the sides alongside their fellow taxiwale and going arrow-straight at it. Delhi and Bangalore are more similar in terms of driving because both are circular cities with a lot of depth whereas Mumbai is a straight city.. basically its one straight line. Certain city veterans also have picked up a similar style of driving, and yes it is shocking (though they know what they are doing) for the first few moments, expect to overtaken with mere inches on the side by expensive vehicles.. we Bangaloreans love to leave a safety gap.

As for traffic being smoother.. it depends on which areas you covered? Did you go to Fort, Peddar Road, Dadar TT, Sion station limits, Andheri etc in peak hours (7 am-11 am/5pm - 9 pm)? It is just as bad if not much worse than Bangalore. I do know that discipline and lane keeping is there for most of the time but when the going gets bad.. there is no escaping that traffic, you'll feel like you've jumped into a sea and its tossing you about. Surely, driving there needs some getting used to as also the city in general. You've to enjoy the chaos.

Overall I prefer Bangalore roads as its more predictable, next comes Chennai and then Delhi.. last Mumbai and yes I've driven in all of them. Delhi was so much better just 5 years back.. I was shocked to see the mess that is going on there currently.

Last edited by dark.knight : 9th August 2017 at 01:42.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 02:02   #24244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Adapting to driving in Mumbai surely needs a couple of tweaks coming from just about anywhere else..
Certain city veterans also have picked up a similar style of driving, and yes it is shocking (though they know what they are doing) for the first few moments, expect to overtaken with mere inches on the side by expensive vehicles.. we Bangaloreans love to leave a safety gap.
Yes, indeed! 1st day, admittedly I was a bit overwhelmed. Then I sort of adapted to it, by expecting this kind of driving. Also, it's because Mumbai is inherently fast, quick, and everyone is in a hurry to get somewhere. Bangalore, as a city itself is quite laid back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
As for traffic being smoother.. it depends on which areas you covered?.
I do know that discipline and lane keeping is there for most of the time but when the going gets bad.. there is no escaping that traffic,.
Overall I prefer Bangalore roads as its more predictable, next comes Chennai and then Delhi.. last Mumbai and yes I've driven in all of them. Delhi was so much better just 5 years back.. I was shocked to see the mess that is going on there currently.
No no, I meant discipline and lane-keeping wise itself, gives a feel of smoothness. Peak traffic is the same - chaos.
Even I prefer Bangalore. But that could be because I have gotten used to it now. The highways around Bangalore definitely feel safer to drive. Highways around Mumbai, I found way too many reckless drivers, zigzagging between lanes, squeezing into non-existent gaps, at speeds that beggar belief.

Anyway, this is an accidents thread and I seem to have gone way OT here, so apologies.
Rohan24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 22:46   #24245
Senior - BHPian

Biker entered ORR Service Road (under Bellandur flyover) violating one way rule. I was preparing to take U-turn under the flyover and he came directly in front of me. As I had vehicles on my left, I decided to stop. He could not even stop the bike properly.

If educated professionals don't follow the rules, where from discipline will come on Indian roads

Please ignore the beep sounds towards the end of the video, I was locking the video.

Last edited by airbus : 9th August 2017 at 22:52. Reason: Minor correction.
airbus is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 09:32   #24246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
If educated professionals don't follow the rules, where from discipline will come on Indian roads
Educated or uneducated doesn't matter.
I think it is a manufacturing defect

This happened to me inside a tech park where so called intellectual workers are supposed to thrive. Road is lightly loaded and this gentle man comes on the wrong side of the partition on a 2 wheeler. I am in my car and refused to budge. He came to my left [ie., to the middle of the road on wrong side] and went off.

On old madras road near Byappanahalli signal, I see luxury cars jumping signals. So, only option we have is to GRIN and bear [and make sure that we don't do the same stupid acts.]
FORTified is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 16:25   #24247
BHPian

Quote:
Biker entered ORR Service Road (under Bellandur flyover) violating one way rule..
There are no one ways for motorbikes in India no? One might even run into a few out there who in this situation would have asked the car driver to leave some space for the bike. Here, I reckon the biker over did the front brakes and that too on mud. I liked the good Samaritan though coming to help even in the slightest of falls, nice.
Old 10th August 2017, 16:43   #24248
BHPian

Quote:
He bought the bike to save on fuel costs, he took the wrong way again to save on fuel costs.
Why only bikers, I have seen mid end cars do the same! Try the blocked service lane at Central Jail / E-City RTO, junction on the road going towards Hosur, people actually drive on the wrong side of the road (not service lane, Hosur Road) from Audi Showroom all the way till the signal. With their headlamps and hazards on pretending to be an ambulance.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 08:32   #24249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
... I am still running this scenario in my head to see what I could have done to prevent it..
Guess one can't do much in such situations. RIP Dog.

Well, here in periphery of NCR (and northern region in general) I've to anticipate a bigger animal like a cow/calf besides dogs popping out of bushes from the other side. These bovines have a free run here in most parts hence we have to consider 'em in the equation too.

Over time i learned that driving in the middle lane is the safest best (if there are 3 lanes). That way I get few precious milliseconds if animal/human pops out of the bushes in the median. Trust me besides keeping manageable speeds as per the conditions (e.g. slowing when nearing village), being the middle lane (especially when there are bushes in median) has helped avoid accidents a few times. Now on 2 lane road setup, I would be on the left most even if it minor inconvenience overtaking slow moving traffic at times. This practice has helped me whether riding or driving and hope it stays this way

Another approach that I follow is to consciously believe that 80+% of people out there today, everyday driving/riding are dolts so I should accordingly *anticipate* their stupidity and plan my action in advance. If one builds his/her experience based on this theory, I guess their will be fewer mishaps besides keeping BP in check. Cheers!
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 10:29   #24250
BHPian

An accident that the Dashcam captured circa 45 minutes ago- this was at the Mukkolakkal junction in Trivandrum.

A good sign, if you notice closely, is that most bike motorists have worn their helmets.

jacobvarughese is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 10:32   #24251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Educated or uneducated doesn't matter.
I think it is a manufacturing defect
And the problem is that this manufacturing defect is not covered under warranty by the manufacturer!

Everyday on NICE road I see lot of the so-called educated IT executives driving cars given to them by the company (it's a prestige and privilege in many cases based on their designation). And driving worse than the many so-called uneducated truck drivers
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 11:12   #24252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
And driving worse than the many so-called uneducated truck drivers
Logically speaking, the truckers have to drive more responsibly. It's not a matter of choice but of necessity. Because they have to drive much more and have important cargo than your regular IT guy. If they end up acting like the educated monkeys, they won't go far as truckers and will spend most of their time in police station or garages or worse, in hospitals. So it's a given that they have to reach their cargo safely and so drive accordingly. They develope the necessary skills for that automatically, I guess. No need to enroll for an IT course for that....
Old 11th August 2017, 12:08   #24253
Distinguished - BHPian

A horrific accident happened in Paschim Vihar, New Delhi on Tuesday morning involving a XUV5OO and a scooty rider and a pedestrian. Sadly both have succumbed to their injuries. The XUV also crashed into a drain. I wonder why would someone drive so fast at an intersection. http://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-xuv-j...up-in-a-drain/

The person is thrown off the ground, the video sends a chill down the spine.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 11th August 2017 at 12:10.
BoneCollector is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 12:57   #24254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I wonder why would someone drive so fast at an intersection.
My guess is that the driver of the XUV was trying to beat the signal as it was turning red. Quite stupid if that was indeed the case.
mustang_shelby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 13:16   #24255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
My guess is that the driver of the XUV was trying to beat the signal as it was turning red. Quite stupid if that was indeed the case.
That looks like the case indeed, but honestly who is stupid? the XUV who was trying to cross the junction before the light turns red or those morons who just thought its alright to jump the red light without looking at the oncoming traffic. Sad that lives were lost, I would blame the scooterist entirely for this incident.
Also looking at the video either the XUV driver panicked or the ABS didn't engage as that XUV just kept skidding all the way to the death of the driver. Since it looks like it toppled in the end I assume the airbags, if were deployed, couldn't do much to save his life.
wrongturn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed