Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2017, 13:32   #24271
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The damage to his Ritz looks substantial compared to your Creta. I believe the Creta has withstood the impact very well. Are you taking any compensation from him or at least is that paying your repair bill?
He agreed to get it repaired from outside but i would rather have it done at the company workshop. However I did take compensation from him for the loss of no claim bonus and a little over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Moron indeed, texting and driving is WORSE than drinking and driving.. here he is fully conscious and yet making a mistake. Hope you have worked up an arrangement of recovering the entire cost of repair through him or at the least the losses of no-claim+a little extra.

That being said, your car has taken it very, very well, the Ritz is crushed.. he needs a side panel, a new hood, headlights, front bumper and possibly new radiator etc.. should cost 30-40k and more if engine damage is involved.
When i got out of the car I was expecting much more damage but my car did take the hit pretty well. Kudos to Hyundai for stepping up the quality of their cars. Im also getting an approximate bill for 35k for the rear bumper plus new boot, paint, sensors, camera, etc.
aparth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 16:32   #24272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

In this instance, though, the car driver deserves a dented door from the foot of that poor lady who could have been seriously hurt. He not only never heard of indicators, but never heard of ORVMs either.

Not her fault here, but defensive driving would advise her not to be alongside that car or overtake at the junction/gap.
It was a 'He' riding the scooter, sir. The black thing suspended over the shoulder is probably an earphone or the helmet strap, and not the flowing hair of a damsel.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 09:12   #24273
Senior - BHPian

Got as a whatsapp forward. Courtesy to whoever shot it:-

Can this happen?

balenoed_ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 09:20   #24274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Can this happen?
IMHO, floor mats, if used, should be specifically designed (shaped) for the vehicle where it is to be used. It is also good to have the mat firmly affixed to the floor. Rubber mats are firm and may have a tendency to stay flat rather than assume the curvature of the floor, unless they are moulded in that contour.

In this case, I presume that one or more are possible reasons
- the mat is not specifically designed for this vehicle
- the mat is not placed correctly
- the mat has moved from the place it was originally placed (this is the troublesome part)

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th August 2017 at 11:38. Reason: Please avoid quoting Youtube link for replies, affects readability. Thanks.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 09:41   #24275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can this happen?
Very much possible. Happened to me earlier once.
Looks like the floor mat does not belong to the car model, and its from a different car model.

1L or 500ML bottles freely rolling on the floor can similarly enter the space behind the brake pedal and jam it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th August 2017 at 11:38. Reason: Please avoid quoting Youtube link for replies, affects readability. Thanks.
arjithin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 10:55   #24276
BHPian

Saw this in the Indian Express newspaper today, without the mention of the vehicle make and model. TOI has a picture at least that shows the make. Can someone guess what could have caused this fire?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60042729.cms
Old 14th August 2017, 11:00   #24277
Senior - BHPian

Leaking fuel + friction maybe. For example if he filled petrol and the attendant didn't close the fuel cap properly.

Happened to me once - drove a few hundred meters from the pump and suddenly got a strong smell of diesel so I immediately stopped and ran to check. Cap was just placed and left there not twisted into place so some drops of fuel had started falling out of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriram.raghavan View Post
Saw this in the Indian Express newspaper today, without the mention of the vehicle make and model. TOI has a picture at least that shows the make. Can someone guess what could have caused this fire?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60042729.cms
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 11:44   #24278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Leaking fuel + friction maybe. For example if he filled petrol and the attendant didn't close the fuel cap properly.

Happened to me once - drove a few hundred meters from the pump and suddenly got a strong smell of diesel so I immediately stopped and ran to check. Cap was just placed and left there not twisted into place so some drops of fuel had started falling out of the tank.
WOW !! I will surely check the cap after each fill from now on. But to think, such a careless mistake can take your life is just too scary!! Any other reasons? What car is this?
Old 14th August 2017, 11:45   #24279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WOW !! I will surely check the cap after each fill from now on. But to think, such a careless mistake can take your life is just too scary!! Any other reasons? What car is this?
What car is mine? A 2014 Fiesta.
Old 14th August 2017, 12:30   #24280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
1L or 500ML bottles freely rolling on the floor can similarly enter the space behind the brake pedal and jam it.
Thank you very very much . I have a 1L Bisleri bottle rolling under my seat, never bothered about it until I read your comment. Will keep this in mind!
shifu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 13:05   #24281
BHPian

Mod note: Post edited, please avoid Quoting Youtube links in reply since it affects readability. Thanks.

Quote:

Can this happen?
Adding to what others have already mentioned, some cars come with a small floor mounted hook against which the floor mat can be anchored. You will need to punch a hole into the mat; most of the mats come with a circle marking at the bottom edge specifically for this purpose.
I have seen these on Ford and Hyundai cars but not sure whether it is provided in other makes. I suppose 3M command hooks can be thought of as a DIY solution when the car does not have a factory fitted hook like this.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th August 2017 at 13:08.
Old 14th August 2017, 13:09   #24282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
... 1L Bisleri bottle rolling under my seat....
Some people have the tendency of leaving their shoes/sandals/sneakers in the driver's footwell before driving barefoot. This can also be very dangerous as there is a high risk of the footwear sliding forward and landing under he clutch/brake/throttle pedals rendering them in-operative.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 14th August 2017 at 13:10.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 13:32   #24283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
I have seen these on Ford and Hyundai cars but not sure whether it is provided in other makes. I suppose 3M command hooks can be thought of as a DIY solution when the car does not have a factory fitted hook like this.
My VW has 2 buttons where the mat can be press fitted on to an it does not move around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Some people have the tendency of leaving their shoes/sandals/sneakers in the driver's footwell before driving barefoot.
Now this is a danger that I have been warning those who drive bare foot with their footwear in the foot well.

I suppose this habit starts from driving school instructors who "advice" learner drivers to remove their footwear and drive bare foot to get a "feeling" of the pedals!
IMHO, the pressure that one can exert with footwear is much higher than what one can exert with bare feet, on the pedals!

Last edited by swissknife : 14th August 2017 at 13:33. Reason: reworded
Old 14th August 2017, 15:16   #24284
BHPian

Quote:

Can this happen?
Yup, in my i10, my replacement (non-original) mats often jam the clutch pedal, that too during on-road driving, resulting in a high rev sound. I then have to pull the mat back towards the seat to release the clutch. I normally don't like driving with those mats, but my wife drives that car and does not seem to face that issue. I guess i tend to push the mat up with my heels when i drive.

So if it can happen with the clutch pedal, it can definitely happen with the accelerator pedal as shown in the video.
Old 14th August 2017, 15:23   #24285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone guess what could have caused this fire?
The main possibilities are electrical fault or fuel leak near hot part of engine. Or a combination.

Of course, it is harder to set light to diesel, but petrol will catch fire very easily. A dirty look is enough to cause petrol vapour to explode! Which, seriously, makes me think of vapour and flash points: surprisingly low for petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Thank you very very much . I have a 1L Bisleri bottle rolling under my seat, never bothered about it until I read your comment. Will keep this in mind!
Oh yes, please do not keep that bottle there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
My VW has 2 buttons where the mat can be press fitted on to an it does not move around.
Mine too. Third-party mats may be smarter, but the basic VW rubber fits and works well and is absolutely secure.
Quote:
Now this is a danger that I have been warning those who drive bare foot with their footwear in the foot well.
There are those that have driving shoes. Keeping their out-of-car shoes in the footwell is potentially dangerous.

(If I drive barefoot it is because I have to. Shoes left outside certain places sometimes disappear. I've driven home barefoot two or three times. After the first few minutes, one just gets used to it. I don't think it enhances "feel." You might be right about hard braking with shoes though)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th August 2017 at 15:24.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed