Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2017, 17:29   #24346
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
In regards to the biker accident, the father has made a statement regretting buying his son the bike. He is now asking for all Superbikes to be banned as our infrastructure is not suited for such bikes.

Ban Superbikes, Says Father Of 24-Year-Old Killed Racing At 150 Kmph
My deep sympathies to the grieving father. But asking the super bikes to be banned is not in order. While gifting such toys to sons, however grown up they are, one should think whether the person can drive it in a responsible manner. Long ago, I lived in Mandi house area, and its not a road to drive at 150...Many a times, love, coercion and affluence affect our decisions behind such purchases and we cannot shift the blame.
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 18:09   #24347
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

About Kerala, yes, traffic laws seem to be something nobody seems to know exist. Ditto for other south states like Karnataka etc. TN seems better of except the Bus guys.
Actually I have felt in the exact opposite way. Kerala follows traffic rules better compared to some of the other states. It will be clear if you drive at night. Atleast 75% drivers will switch to dim if a vehicle is approaching in opposite direction.
anb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 18:46   #24348
Senior - BHPian

Another accident that made it to the news. Three people died. This is on the Mumbai Ahmedabad highway. The Fiat Linea looks quite damaged - even the roof looks ripped off. Wonder if the car went under the truck or whether part of the damage was due to the attempt to rescue the car passengers.
http://m.ndtv.com/cities/3-killed-ca...ome-topstories
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fiatlineacrash650ani_650x400_81503138815.jpg

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 19th August 2017 at 18:48.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 19:48   #24349
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened on 11th August when I was returning home.

The road is dug up and concrete is poured. So it's uneven. This guy had jumped over one such concrete thing previously. He didn't learn fast enough.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 20:25   #24350
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate incident.

That can happen to any one, not just a super bike rider.

Our road manners, skills and reflexes do not match the leap of of technology that produces faster, more powerful vehicles. Its as simple as that. And the other factors like road conditions, other users make high speed driving dangerous for self and others.

I used to see regularly a guy doing rounds on his superbike only after 11 pm, and that too at reasonable speeds.

I had an opportunity to see a super bike zipping past me. I was doing about 110 kmph and he just zipped past me. I was just about slowing down for a toll gate and couldn't catch up with him. And that was about 2 am somewhere between Trichy and Dindigul. He was probably enjoying a very good highway with sparse traffic.
Old 19th August 2017, 20:48   #24351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Another accident that made it to the news. Three people died. This is on the Mumbai Ahmedabad highway. The Fiat Linea looks quite damaged - even the roof looks ripped off. Wonder if the car went under the truck or whether part of the damage was due to the attempt to rescue the car passengers.

Here is the view from another side. Looks like the car has been cut open for rescue. News reports say that the car skidded in rain and hit a stationary truck. 3 budding TV artists lost their lives. RIP.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1503155896.962098.jpg
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 21:47   #24352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Three people died. This is on the Mumbai Ahmedabad highway. The Fiat Linea looks quite damaged - even the roof looks ripped off.
http://m.ndtv.com/cities/3-killed-ca...ome-topstories
Attachment 1667985
This looks really scary :o. Part of the damage seems to be due to rescue operation, still considerable amount of damage due to accident.

It's high time that underrun bars of proper specs is mandated and enforced on rear & side of all trucks, including old vehicles. Is this already part of motor vehicles act?
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 22:02   #24353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This happened on 11th August when I was returning home.
Ouch! That's a nasty section. The only way is to go slow. Small wheeled vehicles like Activa are very unstable on these bumps. Sad that he didn't learn from the previous bump!! Of a fast lorry was talking him, he would have been a goner.
Old 20th August 2017, 15:30   #24354
BHPian

CCTV footage of a cab hitting a two wheeler near Vellore, Tamilnadu. From the footage, it looks like the cab was driven at a high speed and he was not concentrating on the road. The two wheeler, also crossed the road without judging the speed of the car. As per the news channel, the girl is admitted in a hospital near Coimbatore with multiple bone fractures.

ravimathi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 19:59   #24355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimathi View Post
CCTV footage of a cab hitting a two wheeler near Vellore, Tamilnadu. From the footage, it looks like the cab was driven at a high speed and he was not concentrating on the road. The two wheeler, also crossed the road without judging the speed of the car. As per the news channel, the girl is admitted in a hospital near Coimbatore with multiple bone fractures.
This is most definitely the fault of the two wheeler. The rider should have waited to make sure it is all clear before crossing. These kind of intersections should not exist on four lane roads in the first place as they will most definitely cause accidents as most two wheeler riders especially in rural areas have zero self preservation instincts.

It is a four lane highway and even a legitimate 80km/hr would seem the same as in the video. One can't expect a car doing highway speeds to stop on a dime if a two wheeler suddenly appears in front of it!
reignofchaos is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 20:28   #24356
Senior - BHPian

The car should have slowed down as it was approaching the junction. Had it slowed down , the incident would have been avoided or the impact would have been minimal.

Goes without saying, that the two wheeler should have been more vigilant.

Last edited by F150 : 20th August 2017 at 20:50.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 20:34   #24357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
This is most definitely the fault of the two wheeler. The rider should have waited to make sure it is all clear before crossing. These kind of intersections should not exist on four lane roads in the first place as they will most definitely cause accidents as most two wheeler riders . ......

One can't expect a car doing highway speeds to stop on a dime if a two wheeler suddenly appears in front of it!
All the above statements are true and the situation will unfortunately continue to remain the same.
People will keep crossing the roads all the time without giving any thought and their actions are not in anyone's control.

The only solution is to follow defensive driving. At any point, the question a driver should ask themself is whether (s)he would be able to stop/control the vehicle if something suddenly darts across and then should accordingly drive at the appropriate speed for the given situation.

In this case, the driver is maintaining the same high speed unmindful of the intersection, he should have slowed down on seeing the intersection and should have anticipated that someone is most likely going to come the vehicle's path and be prepared by slowing down to the right/controllable speed.

Most drivers are very reluctant to cut down their speed at intersections. Everybody expects the other vehicle to slow down and let them pass. High time for drivers to correct this attitude and drive more defensively being more mindful of their surroundings.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 20th August 2017 at 20:53.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 20:39   #24358
BHPian

I know my statements are blunt but they are facts.

The complete licensing system, driving (road & street), traffic signs, peoples attitude, infrastructure needs a change, which is NOT possible now.

Passing through junctions, cutting through traffic, insane overtaking, parents buying light powerful scooters / motorcycles for teens, wearing expensive motorcycle gear, becoming a member of a car club or motorcycle club, etc. the list can go on and on, is some stuff most people like to "brag on".

This "brag on" trend is more with educated people. I am an O365 engineer and I am surprised when my colleagues "brag". If I correct them, that this is incorrect. They will say, Arey Sir aap toh foreign country meh gaadi chalaya. If you can drive in Pune, you can drive anywhere in the world.
My down South colleagues will say there is no driving skill greater than the TN & KL bus drivers.

The system cant change unless we can have something like "Demonetisation of the currency".
Till then "SEE" Scan, Evaluate and Escape.

The above video shows a Pedestrian crossing but the surprising facts
1) There is NO thought of where the pedestrian crossing should have been marked / placed.
2) There is iron barricade at both ends of the pedestrian crossing??
3) There is no road signage to warn traffic on either side.
4) Ohh yes and this unfortunate woman chose to ride from the makeshift pavement.

Finally pedestrians can cross anytime it is the person driving / riding who has to be in control.
Hazard Perception Test.

So most of the roads, road signs are after thoughts.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 20th August 2017 at 20:43.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 21:02   #24359
BHPian

Had a minor incident 2 days back. Was on a service road and was going behind a bus doing around 20-30kmph. Suddenly an Ape decides to take a sharp left. I brake hard and in an instant an idiotic biker kisses the rear end.

He starts abusing me saying I braked hard and that his bike cannot brake so hard. I asked him as to why he cannot keep that in mind and he cannot keep a safe distance ? He just kept staring. The damage out of the entire episode is a bruised rear bumper. Had just got it replaced a month or two back. Thankfully it's in place and not dented.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170818_180735.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170819_094856.jpg

Any pointers on how this can be brought to it's original glory without an entire replacement or repaint would help.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd August 2017 at 07:59.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 21:15   #24360
BHPian

Wash it clean of all dirt. Use preferably 3M rubbing compound. I did it on my Linea - shines back to showroom condition

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th September 2017 at 12:20. Reason: Properly formatted the post. Thanks
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks