Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2017, 07:31   #24391
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimathi View Post
CCTV footage of a cab hitting a two wheeler near Vellore, Tamilnadu.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=FTodlx9S8u0
According to this article in cartoq, the doctors treating her have said that she is out of danger. Very very lucky for her. Also the article states the cab driver has been identified and will be booked soon for the offense.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 08:06   #24392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Saw this on NICE raod on Monday(21st August) just after Kanakapura Road junction. Not sure how it happened but looks like the tyre burst (you can see skid marks)in the first picture and the vehicle veered into the central median and toppled. Total Loss for sure
Sometimes I feel that the large median space is a life saver in NICE road. Adding to it, the way it slopes down makes it safer. If it was not the case then we could have seen many accidents reported due to vehicle going in the opposite lane.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 08:11   #24393
BHPian

In the Swift cab hitting lady on scooty accident, I would say the fault lies 99% with the lady. The Swift driver was observing her cross the road and as per his estimate she should have crossed safely before he intercepts her, but for some inexplicable reason she decides to slow down (almost stops) just when the car reached her, it is then that he decides to break hard.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th August 2017 at 15:36. Reason: We can surely do without any sexist remark here.
chevyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 08:27   #24394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
In the Swift cab hitting lady on scooty accident, I would say the fault lies 99% with the lady. The Swift driver was observing her cross the road and as per his estimate she should have crossed safely before he intercepts her, but for some inexplicable reason she decides to slow down (almost stops) just when the car reached her, it is then that he decides to break hard.
The fault will be distributed in my opinion, a perfect 50-50. 50 on the lady rider who decides to cross and slow down when reaching the lane of the cab which is a big mistake, or for not allowing the cab to move across and THEN cross which would've ensured her safety. 50 on the cab for not slowing down one bit (protocols dictate that in our country wherever a junction or crossing exists and IF a vehicle is actually crossing, the vehicular speed should be decreased to controllable levels in case of stoppage required, no cab driver I've experienced does this and I find that stupid). I would've easily stopped 5 feet away if I were in his position, it doesn't even appear like the cabbie was looking straight. A road requires continuous monitoring after all, its not a railway track.

Quote:
Swift driver's 1% fault is that he should have understood that women are horrible drivers and as a precaution slowed much before he came close to her.
People are horrible drivers/riders for the most part, almost everyday I see male riders/drivers push the limits of craziness on the road and almost coming to or bringing others to the brink of their mortality but that cannot afford me the luxury of calling all men as horrible drivers and riders. There is no road etiquette in India, period. Everyone needs to travel in any form that they deem suitable irrespective of gender, what should be the norm is careful, defensive and mannered driving. Lets not generate a battle of the sexes without need.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 08:44   #24395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Sometimes I feel that the large median space is a life saver in NICE road.
But a pain to drive under darkness and in rains as the glare from the opposite lanes is not something one would want to face for hours together.

For roads like NICE that hardly take 20-40 minutes depending on your exit, medians of these types are OK. They are also helpful to negate any threats due to water logging near medians but the road condition of NICE itself becomes so bad at times that water stays stagnant on dips created on the roads on both the lanes.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 08:54   #24396
Senior - BHPian

One of the most important facets of a highway is signboards. The highway needs to 'talk' to the driver. Typically in this situation there should be a signboard stating to slow down, decrease speed limit, watch out for intersection.
When I was driving in Australia, by the time you reached a junction like this you had naturally slowed down to 60 kmph (or even 40 kmph) even if there was no traffic. This helps to reduce the chances of such incidents.
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 09:24   #24397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
One of the most important facets of a highway is signboards. The highway needs to 'talk' to the driver. Typically in this situation there should be a signboard stating to slow down, decrease speed limit, watch out for intersection.
When I was driving in Australia, by the time you reached a junction like this you had naturally slowed down to 60 kmph (or even 40 kmph) even if there was no traffic. This helps to reduce the chances of such incidents.
Makes sense if we actually follow traffic rules strictly like in other countries.
When we jump signals and drive/ride on opposite sides, if a board is present or not, wouldn't help much.

By 'we', I mean the majority driving attitude in the country.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 09:41   #24398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the Swift cab hitting lady on scooty accident, I would say the fault lies 99% with the lady.
I think it is completely the fault of the lady. Look at that grille next to her- the driver of the car wouldn't have been able to see her when she was standing.

If he could, I think he'd have honked and be prepared to stop.

Quote:
Swift driver's 1% fault is that he should have understood that women are horrible drivers and as a precaution slowed much before he came close to her.
PLEASE DON'T BE SEXIST
I've seen many stupid men also trying to cross highways dangerously.
landcruiser123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 11:40   #24399
Senior - BHPian

The car driver is equally at fault. He should have slowed down at the intersection. As can be seen in the video, he didn't brake until he hit her. What kind of driving was that. Having a 4 lane to drive doesn't mean one can go at will.

My guess is, the driver didn't even notice her until it was too late.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 12:12   #24400
Distinguished - BHPian

Today morning at Silkboard junction, On the service road just before joining the Highway towards Hosur, a Celerio hit a bus from behind.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170824wa0023.jpg

Image sent by a friend taken from his office building
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 12:26   #24401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Makes sense if we actually follow traffic rules strictly like in other countries.
When we jump signals and drive/ride on opposite sides, if a board is present or not, wouldn't help much.

By 'we', I mean the majority driving attitude in the country.
Even if 10% follow the signs, it makes the flow of traffic that much better.
Also putting a signboard helps to decide who is at fault more easily.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:22   #24402
Senior - BHPian

Read this news today in TOI. A TV actor and actress from Karnataka died in an accident. The article says that they were travelling to Kukke subramanya for a temple visit when the vehicle they were travelling in collided with a parked truck near Magadi. RIP!
TorqueyTechie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 14:01   #24403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
I tend to agree with airbus. I highly doubt the car driver could be doing any sort of progressive braking in such situation esp. when the time to impact was fast reducing (from not more than 2/3 secs) nor would he be adept at it....
That is all conjecture my friend. We can have our doubts and suggest many theories. Even I made sure to say "he COULD have been braking". It is true most people do not react appropriately in such situations, I tend to give folks the benefit of doubt or try putting myself in the same situation to see what I would have done. Either way, agreeing with airbus means that you think the skid-marks are conclusive proof that the driver did not brake until the last minute, all I was pointing out, is that we cannot assume that to be conclusive proof of such. That's all.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think it is completely the fault of the lady. Look at that grille next to her- the driver of the car wouldn't have been able to see her when she was standing.
Seriously? I am surprised to see BHPians say blame the lady completely. Sure she was definitely at fault but do you think it is fine to travel so fast though an intersection? Whenever I am on the highway, I know that when passing a town, you need to decrease your speed. We don't have so many stop signs in India, but that does not mean we can bash on regardless

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th August 2017 at 14:05.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 14:25   #24404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Seriously? I am surprised to see BHPians say blame the lady completely. Sure she was definitely at fault but do you think it is fine to travel so fast though an intersection? Whenever I am on the highway, I know that when passing a town, you need to decrease your speed. We don't have so many stop signs in India, but that does not mean we can bash on regardless
What can we do when we have no concept of speed limits. She might have crossed the road like a numbnut but if the cab was within speed limits he could have saved everyone a whole lot of trouble.

Wonder what gives one the guts to cross the road like that. Which is why i hate taking intersections like that. I would rather turn left and then find a u-turn somewhere further ahead and turn at leisure
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 14:55   #24405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
It's inexplicable to see people blaming the car driver here.

Let me clear out the parts where car driver can be blamed first.

Can car driver be blamed for not being defensive? - Yes, but that's not illegal.

Was the car driver speeding? - Looked like he was at 80-100kmph and the highway very well could be marked such. This is an unknown factor.

Now, getting to the faults of the scooter rider or fault of no one.

Was the scooter visible for the car early enough? - No, because of the barricade.

Was the scooter driver at fault? - Yes, 100%. It's the law for the crossing traffic to yield to the traffic on the highway. However you slice it, this accident is 100% fault on the scooter rider.

Should car driver share blame for the accident? - No, at best, he would receive a speeding ticket. Provided there was sign boards with reduced speed limits before the junction.

Any decent lawyer worth their salt would get the case against the car driver kicked out without even trying.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 24th August 2017 at 14:57.
Yieldway17 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks