Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2017, 20:29   #24436
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
This does not seem too different from the crash on the highway. Girl does not look for vehicles that she may "enounter" while going across the road.
What a dumb rider. Makes me wonder how they survived in this world so far.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 21:22   #24437
Senior - BHPian

Whatever nitpicking may go here, biker and the driver are both equally responsible. I have done about 7 to 8 lakh km in a car and about 5 lakhs km on a bike. A rider or a driver has to be responsible for the doings, mostly. I don't have a scratch on my car, I dont have a scratch on my bikes, I don't have a scratch on me nor on anybody.

I wouldn't have been this immodest on the forum. Having seen various opinions here, i was just tempted to say the thing.

Last edited by simplyself : 27th August 2017 at 21:24.
simplyself is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 23:26   #24438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This does not seem too different from the crash on the highway. Girl does not look for vehicles that she may "enounter" while going across the road.

The only difference is that this car has stopped and the biker continues to go across and hits the front of the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
What a dumb rider. Makes me wonder how they survived in this world so far.
This is a perfect example of locked-neck driver/rider that can be seen coming out of many streets. Yes, drivers as well as riders, but more riders. Why? Is this how they cross roads when on foot? It really is a mystery that they live so long.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 23:27   #24439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Whatever nitpicking may go here, biker and the driver are both equally responsible. I have done about 7 to 8 lakh km in a car and about 5 lakhs km on a bike. A rider or a driver has to be responsible for the doings, mostly. I don't have a scratch on my car, I dont have a scratch on my bikes, I don't have a scratch on me nor on anybody.
I would really love to know for how many years you have been driving because a mileage of 13Lakh KM as told by you is an awesome feat that too without a scratch in my beloved country where traffic sense is mostly missing, I hardly know anyone with such high mileage. Anyways my wishes to increase the track record.
Old 27th August 2017, 23:47   #24440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. I don't have a scratch on my car, I dont have a scratch on my bikes, I don't have a scratch on me nor on anybody.
Wow! If it is true, you have been incredibly lucky!

I have done 6 lakh km on cars and 2 lakh km on bikes. I have had at least half a dozen minor scratches on cars for no fault of mine.

No one is perfect. Humans are bound to error. Some of us are lucky, others are either unlucky or stupid like the ones who end up in this thread.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th August 2017 at 23:49.
Old 28th August 2017, 02:02   #24441
BHPian

Quote:

I wouldn't have been this immodest on the forum. Having seen various opinions here, i was just tempted to say the thing.
Yet you still blame the car driver? What should he have done better than what he did in your opinion? Please enlighten me.
Old 28th August 2017, 03:41   #24442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Yet you still blame the car driver? What should he have done better than what he did in your opinion? Please enlighten me.
Please read the previous posts I think this has been debated to death over here. Anyway, I'd blame the car driver for not appropriately lowering his speed when passing through a village area. By law the speed limit decreases, and even if one is not going to adhere to the speed limits stated by law, atleast they need to take their vehicle's capability and skill into consideration and lower their speed when passing through a small town on the highway. It was very clear from the video that the driver of the car lacked the skills needed to shed speed. The car nosedived towards the very end and he locked up the wheels. If that was his level of driving skill, he had no right to be travelling so fast.

PS: just realized you could be referring to the video posted by swissknife. In which case the scooterist is totally at fault. That said, I am also the kind of person who would think that 99.9% of the car and bike drivers/riders, lack appropriate skills to drive/ride. Even the car in that video, did not slow down or react fast. Whether the driver is required to react quickly and appropriately is a separate debate, but forgive me for treating this in the same manner that one might treat an air crash investigation

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th August 2017 at 03:48.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 06:31   #24443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only difference is that this car has stopped and the biker continues to go across and hits the front of the vehicle.
The car hadn't stopped and was rolling at quite a decent speed albeit in deceleration when the girl hit. Again, this is something that could've been easily prevented had either of them paid attention. I've had similar situations happen quite a lot, including once when a TVS 50 crossed over the median illegally, moved at 20 kmph (TVS 50's top speed) crossing 2 entire lanes without looking and into my lane where I was not speeding but was doing about 50, I couldn't believe the audacity of the rider and hoped he'd at the least wait for me to pass but nope.. he slid even faster directly in front of my way. That is when I stood on the brakes and did a slight turn to the right and again released and stomped on the brakes. Disaster averted by over 5-6 feet.

This is what I feel is missing in car drivers and riders, they drive or ride in every situation like its a normal wide open road. Chances are most of these drivers and riders do not know how to exploit the brakes to the fullest possible potential.. emergency braking and maneuvering are core essentials to being on the road. Also when intersections are lying await its better to let go of the gas pedal and let the engine do some slowing down while keeping the right foot primed on the brake, easiest method.

Yet again here, both are at fault - no two ways about it in my view.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 07:35   #24444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I would really love to know for how many years you have been driving because a mileage of 13Lakh KM as told by you is an awesome feat that too without a scratch in my beloved country where traffic sense is mostly missing, I hardly know anyone with such high mileage. Anyways my wishes to increase the track record.
I have been riding since 1993 and driving since 1997. I used to drive a newspaper transport vehicle from 1999 till the start of 2014. Hence the high mileage.

Our beloved country has all sorts of maniacs on road but as I drove mostly during nights on highways, I missed them, mostly. Truck drivers are lot more disciplined compared to car drivers.

Even after such a long time and kilometers, I am almost afraid whenever I drive. May be that is the reason for 'scratchless' condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Wow! If it is true, you have been incredibly lucky!

I have done 6 lakh km on cars and 2 lakh km on bikes. I have had at least half a dozen minor scratches on cars for no fault of mine.

No one is perfect. Humans are bound to error. Some of us are lucky, others are either unlucky or stupid like the ones who end up in this thread.
I have a healthy dose of fear whenever I drive. And I am not ashamed of my fear. I don't boast about my long innings but having read through the posts regarding the car hitting the step thru, I, for once, had said it. And I am ashamed of my boast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
I firmly believe the driver didn't see the biker till he came upon her. That's what I had observed. That's sheer negligence.

I might be wrong on that, I agree. But, if he had seen her and misjudged the speed of the step thru, it was criminal negligence.

As to what he should have done, it's imperative he slowed down/ ease off the accelerator on approaching intersection with or without a biker across. That would have been safer for everybody.

I too had such moments but as I invariably slow down through the villages, intersections, I had escaped.

For me, life is far more important than speed, with or without caution boards, speed indicating signs.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th August 2017 at 08:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
simplyself is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 08:53   #24445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't have a scratch on my car, I dont have a scratch on my bikes, I don't have a scratch on me nor on anybody.
If you still have the option to edit your post, I highly recommend you add "touch wood"
Sorry . Anyway, Kudos to your incredible feat!

Last edited by balenoed_ : 28th August 2017 at 08:54.
Old 28th August 2017, 10:21   #24446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
If you still have the option to edit your post, I highly recommend you add "touch wood"
Sorry . Anyway, Kudos to your incredible feat!

Hey, I haven't retired yet. Am only 44 now and going strong. But mile munching had come down considerably.
Old 28th August 2017, 10:51   #24447
BHPian

Quote:
No helmet on this one as well.
The car seems to be doing good speed and i dont think he had come to a standstill. As a basic precuation it always pays to slow down at these kind of intersections, which i dont think the car driver was doing. The lady on the bike was driving like a walk in the park with no helmet to boot. That nothing happened is just luck.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th August 2017 at 12:10. Reason: Removing video from quoted post.
Old 28th August 2017, 11:23   #24448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Girl does not look for vehicles that she may "enounter" while going across the road.
Entirely the 2-wheeler's fault here. From the camera picking up a visual of the rider to the point of impact, there's ~1 second of elapsed time. No way the car could have averted the impact, considering an average reaction time of 0.7 seconds. Driver seems to be doing reasonable speed for the given traffic conditions, and has right of way (err... what's that? ).

Learning to drive in India does not include learning to stop/slow down/allow right of way. Oh, well...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 28th August 2017 at 11:25.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 12:01   #24449
BHPian

http://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.co...w/60250031.cms

Very unfortunate accident about 110 kms from Ahmedabad . Entire family and extended family wiped out , seems the driver of the Toofan dozed off and hit the oncoming truck .
Old 28th August 2017, 12:03   #24450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Driver seems to be doing reasonable speed for the given traffic conditions,
I too felt the same the first time I looked at the video - At such speeds, his natural wide angle lens (eyes) would fail to notice anything unusual like the emergence of this little one from a by-lane. His concentration would be merely focused in finding the right gap ahead without compromising on his current speeds.

Little slower knowing that the place was already crowded with misc elements around would have certainly reduced the impact if not completely avoided the collision this way.

Quote:
and has right of way (err... what's that? ).

That's a conditional rule with its own set of dynamics that define who has the right. We can go on and on and on and you know that.

Quote:
Learning to drive in India does not include learning to stop/slow down/allow right of way. Oh, well...
Forget learning about it while learning to drive, we fail to learn it after enough of experience behind the wheels too. Remember that someone driving a City transport bus who's not got into any accident in his 20 years of service is not necessarily a good driver; But he gets to take away all the bouquets!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed