Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2017, 12:30   #24451
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

An unfortunate incident in the UK, involving Indians. May their souls rest in peace.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/n...w/60248985.cms
Old 28th August 2017, 13:23   #24452
BHPian

New Compass already met an accident. I am guessing its a TD vehicle but not sure since I received in WA group.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20170828-12.45.39-pm.jpeg  

vin_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 14:00   #24453
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
New Compass already met an accident. I am guessing its a TD vehicle but not sure since I received in WA group.
Going by the sticker/sheet on the windshield, it looks like a registered Compass delivered to a customer. Though details are unknown, overall impact absorption seems to be good!
Old 28th August 2017, 14:01   #24454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
Link to the details of this accident is here

It has stupidly been mentioned " the vehicle lost control". How can a vehicle lose its control unless the nut sitting behind the wheel loses his/her control. Wonder what the reporter was smoking while putting down this article

Last edited by centaur : 28th August 2017 at 14:08.
centaur is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 14:24   #24455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I have a healthy dose of fear whenever I drive. And I am not ashamed of my fear.
Very good point. Old fisherman's saying:
You should be afraid of the sea,

If you are not afraid of the sea, you will go to sea when you should not and you will be drowned. We are afraid of the sea, and we are not drowned very often
It's a fear that breeds respect. We should have the same fro roads, vehicles and driving,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
An unfortunate incident in the UK, involving Indians. May their souls rest in peace.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/n...w/60248985.cms
Horrible. Arrests have been made... and not just because they were driving the bigger vehicles. Possibility of alcohol was mentioned on the BBC report.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 18:51   #24456
BHPian

On seeing this Compass crash, it’s a case of over speeding. What gets my goat is how do these chaps have the courage to do excessive speeds in these crowded roads. It’s a common sight everywhere i guess, until something disastrous happens. If this was a TD vehicle, it’s the 3rd one that has happened in the last few months. There was Ciaz which a fool was testing and he managed to break the vehicle in two, due excessive speed, this was in Madurai. Another incident was a Hexa in Coimbatore, which again got trashed again due overspeeding, but no fatalities occurred due to the well built car.
Old 29th August 2017, 09:02   #24457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
It has stupidly been mentioned " the vehicle lost control". How can a vehicle lose its control unless the nut sitting behind the wheel loses his/her control. Wonder what the reporter was smoking while putting down this article
Seems your remark has been taken note of. The text is changed now.
Quote:
Sadly, it is true. Here is the first Jeep Compass to have crashed. The crash is set to have occurred Bengaluru. The reason for the crash is not yet known but what is known is the fact that the driver lost control, climbed the footpath and collided against a tree, that too on the opposite side of the road. There is no clarity on what speed the vehicle was travelling at and what caused the crash. In the video, it is evident that the road is narrow and it looks like it has rained too, which means it is slippery as well. If you look closely, it seems like the driver was trying to turn left and carried way too much speed that he went straight into the tree instead.
Just now received more pictures of this accident on Whatsapp.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

With these pictures, I can easily identify that the location too.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg

In another incident, today morning on NECE road, I saw a Blue Scorpio badly damaged and lying in the centre median near Purva Highlands. Damage suggested that it has rolled once. This has become quite alarmingly common now on this stretch. Anyone has any pictures of this?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 29th August 2017 at 09:11.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 09:08   #24458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is this how they cross roads when on foot? It really is a mystery that they live so long.
You will be astonished at how many people cross a road on foot being perfectly unaware of their surroundings. Looking straight ahead, glancing down at the path they are treading, looking to their left, but NEVER to their right - almost as if on purpose.

Sometimes they will cross the road halfway in perpendicular and suddenly start walking along the road in the same lane as your car. As if all they wanted to do was cross one lane and then die under the wheels of the car in the other lane.

And then there are walkers with mobiles.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 09:55   #24459
BHPian

Saw two badly damaged cars while returning from Tirupati yesterday, somewhere near Palamneru. One is i10 and I think the other is a WagonR and similar. These cars were not there on Saturday, while I was going to Tirupati. So, its a weekend crash and looks like head on. Both cars have substantial frontal damage. anybody have any further info on this? Luckily, there is no cabin intrusion on both cars and hence passenger must be safe.

Last edited by FORTified : 29th August 2017 at 09:55. Reason: One small typo to be fixed to -> two
Old 29th August 2017, 10:20   #24460
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
In another incident, today morning on NECE road, I saw a Blue Scorpio badly damaged and lying in the centre median near Purva Highlands. Damage suggested that it has rolled once. This has become quite alarmingly common now on this stretch. Anyone has any pictures of this?

This quite common on the NECE road. I have seen morons trying to overtake in this section by going of the tarmac well onto the grass on the central bank/median which also is a rain water drain. Little do they realise the slope and the wet grass. At those speeds a slight skid of 2 wheels on the wet grass is enough for an SUV to topple. I saw a Ford Ecosport attempting a similar overtaking manoeuvre yesterday. Luckily the guy got away.
Old 29th August 2017, 11:19   #24461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Seems your remark has been taken note of. The text is changed now.

Just now received more pictures of this accident on Whatsapp.

With these pictures, I can easily identify that the location too.

?
The only trees exposed on the pavement are the Brigade Hulkul building. This is bang outside my mothers apartment. He must have been trying to overtake and went wrong.

10 metres ahead of that, one of the partners in an old well known restaraunt, suffered life changing injuries when a Fortuner owned by the JW Marriot overtook another car at that very spot and ploughed into his Kawasaki superbike. Luckily another club member saw this and got him rushed to HOSMAT. Three years on, he has only just recovered but his badminton and bike days are over.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:21   #24462
BHPian

This is a new one of me, literally “shooting yourselves to death”.
The accident took place on the open roads of Srinagar on 14th August. Srinagar is located in a wide valley which allows it to have wide and straight roads compared to the other mountainous regions. The youths were seen driving through the roads in an old Maruti 800.
The co-driver was doing a “Facebook Live” session while the car was being driven. It shows that none of the occupants, including the driver, were wearing a seat belt. The car was being driven at high-speed with loud music. The driver is also singing along and driving in a zig-zag way on the nearly empty roads.
After crossing a few stretches at high speed and overtaking a few vehicles, the car finally reaches a crowded stretch. The driver tried to overtake a Hyundai Creta and in the process lost control of the vehicle. The Maruti 800 turtled on the spot and three of the occupants died on the spot.
http://www.cartoq.com

Old 30th August 2017, 09:57   #24463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post

Heart wringing. What exactly happened after overtaking the Creta? Looks like they hit the divider and turned turtle? Also can we consider the Maruti 800 as overloaded?

Few years ago my father was driving a Maruti 800 Deluxe on Hyderabad-Vijayawada highway, his colleague being the only co-passenger. Out of panic my father swerved to the left when a truck ahead took a sudden u-turn (near Narketpally, a notorious accident spot) and the car veered off the road and fell off the highway which was significantly elevated above the shoulder of the road. His colleague died on the spot while my father survived due to God's grace.

I wonder if Maruti 800 and other such small cars have road grip issues?
chevyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 10:08   #24464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
What happened there? How can someone lose control of heir vehicle like this? Nothing was there for such a thing to happen. I just don't understand! It just reinforces the saying "The most dangerous part of an automobile is the nut behind the wheel"
The driver distracted for a while for the FB live video and then a sudden panic move towards the divider is the only reason I can think of.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 10:17   #24465
BHPian

^^ Is it tyre burst?
At around 1:51 seconds in the video just when the car overtakes the Creta, it looked as if the video was shaking and later we can see that the driver is turning the steering to the left. I thought it could be a tyre burst.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed