Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2017, 10:40   #24466
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
^^ Is it tyre burst?
At around 1:51 seconds in the video just when the car overtakes the Creta, it looked as if the video was shaking and later we can see that the driver is turning the steering to the left. I thought it could be a tyre burst.
I think the driver misjudged the gap between the Creta and divider.

Also, may be the car ahead (of Creta) squeezed into the space and forced him to hit the divider.

May be something hit them from behind ?

I agree, there is loud music, they aren't wearing seat belts but the entire video doesn't show much of reckless driving !! At-least from the footage and comparing with relative traffic in the road, it doesn't look like over speeding.
Old 30th August 2017, 11:24   #24467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
This is a new one of me, literally “shooting yourselves to death”.
What all titles do we have to see!!

Like someone mentioned, it does not seem to be a rash or high speed driving.
And by looking at the damage done to the car, it doesn't look like it was caused just by toppling. Instead of the roof crushed during a topple, it looks to be crushed as if it has collided with something. Did it jump the divider and something from opposite side rammed?
Old 30th August 2017, 11:52   #24468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Luckily, there is no cabin intrusion on both cars and hence passenger must be safe.
Higher chance of the occupants emerging safe only if all of them were wearing seatbelts.

Even if one of the passengers was not wearing a seatbelt, it could turn catastrophic as a result of the unbelted person getting tossed about and banging into all the other belted passengers and injuring them.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 30th August 2017 at 11:54.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 11:53   #24469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
What happened there? How can someone lose control of heir vehicle like this? Nothing was there for such a thing to happen. I just don't understand! It just reinforces the saying "The most dangerous part of an automobile is the nut behind the wheel"
The driver distracted for a while for the FB live video and then a sudden panic move towards the divider is the only reason I can think of.
Exactly what I feel. Since it is a small car at a high speed, one sudden steering movement could have upset the control over the car, which would have caused the crash. At one moment, we can see that the driver is trying to give too much steering corrections and try to get back control, but that aggravates the problem and causes whatever happened later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What all titles do we have to see!!

Like someone mentioned, it does not seem to be a rash or high speed driving.
IMO, it is definitely fast, at least for M800 standards. Even if the Creta was doing a sedate 60kmph, it was approached quite quickly by the M800. And the Creta being at 60 is just a very conservative estimate of how fast a car on such a plain road would be. The driver of the M800 would have been fooled by the nature of the road and would have gone faster than he or the car could handle. Rash I am not sure, but definitely negligent to have been almost dancing inside a car and driving at high speed. Given the light weight of the car and a full load of people, the dynamics can change drastically.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 12:16   #24470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Higher chance of the occupants emerging safe only if all of them were wearing seatbelts.

Even if one of the passengers was not wearing a seatbelt, it could turn catastrophic as a result of the unbelted person getting tossed about and banging into all the other belted passengers and injuring them.
My hope is based on the observation that windshields of both the cars seem to be intact. If they had internal hits, thats just too bad.
Old 30th August 2017, 14:54   #24471
BHPian

I wildly suspect Tyre burst/punctured of M800 once he overtakes Creta at relatively high speed and collided with the footpath/curb which in turn toppled the car.
Old 30th August 2017, 16:15   #24472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
This is a new one of me, literally “shooting yourselves to death”.
For me, it looks like
1. Carelessness of the driver - Reason: The Road divider line for Creta was clearly in the mid of the car. So, driver, if careful, would not try to overtake the vehicle since half the track is occupied by right side of Creta. The car driver realised his mistake very late.

2. Wrong driving skills of Creta driver- Driver should ensure that he is on HIS track while driving. This concept is missing in our country.

Auto drivers think (Especially Auto drivers ) that the white dividing line is for their front wheels to run. All others think that their vehicles should be such that the line should be in between their two wheels
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 16:44   #24473
Senior - BHPian

The Maruti passengers were not simply driving to get from point A to point B. They were obviously trying to have a good time. Whatever triggered the final crash, it looks like they were driving beyond their capability (car and driver). I shudder to think what those who survived will feel when they look back.
Old 31st August 2017, 00:36   #24474
Team-BHP Support

The video of the M-800, or rather the bit after the footage cuts out but the audio remains, is absolutely horrifying.

Pointless loss of life, simply because youth refuses to understand or believe a moving car is not a safe place to have carefree fun.
Old 31st August 2017, 05:21   #24475
Senior - BHPian

I went through the video a couple of times, and can't figure out the part about zig zag driving. Nothing suggests the driver was being rash. Maybe fast, but not rash. Not wearing seat belts has obviously proved fatal.

The gap between the Creta and the divider does seem adequate for the M800 to pass, and I think the driver may have misjudged the direction and swerved to the right to avoid hitting the Creta and then lost control.

Another possibility is rhat the M800 hit the right rear of the Creta and toppled over, but that's just a wild possibility.

Edit: found the article on CarToq and went through the photos. Surprisingly, the front seems to be pretty much intact from the impact, while the biggest hit seems to have been at the roof that has been pressed in and nearly severed the cabin from the engine bay at the passenger side.

Indicates the car turned on its left side as it turned turtle, IMO.

Last edited by honeybee : 31st August 2017 at 05:32.
Old 31st August 2017, 10:27   #24476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
: What happened there? How can someone lose control of heir vehicle like this? Nothing was there for such a thing to happen. ...
The driver distracted for a while for the FB live video and then a sudden panic move towards the divider ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
...Nothing suggests the driver was being rash. Maybe fast, but not rash. Not wearing seat belts has obviously proved fatal.
After seeing the photos posted online, it is clear that even wearing seatbelts in this case would not have saved the passengers.

The right wheel has directly rammed into the median and sheared the engine bay completely to the right by 90 degrees. This twisting force has pushed in the right A pillar and engine bay completely inwards towards the driver and co-passenger leaving no survivable space for the driver, front passenger and the right rear seat occupant. Only the rear left seat has some survivable space left.

It is a clear case of driving dangerously close to divider and sudden slight move to the right causing the car to ram into the divider and twist.

On our roads, many people have a tendency to drive dangerously close to the divider at high speeds for long stretches. This is a very dangerous practice, a small uneven irregularity on the road or an un-intended very slight twist of the steering wheel can turn catastrophic causing the car to plough into the divider.
The right lane closest to the divider is only to be used for overtaking manoeuvres befor returning to the mid or left lane.

In any present day cars with proper safety cage monocoque design, there would have been a chance for the occupants to survive had they been belted up, but unfortunately in this case the 800 just doesn't have a monococque passenger safety cage and is devoid of all mimimal passive safety features (possibly didn't come with rear seat belts even), the whole car just collapsed inwards on impact to the median.

There is a video in the same thread of how a well built car with rigid passenger cage handled a similar mishap of ramming into the divider
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
..... the driver walked away without a scratch.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 31st August 2017 at 10:39.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 11:26   #24477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
It is a clear case of driving dangerously close to divider and sudden slight move to the right causing the car to ram into the divider and twist.

On our roads, many people have a tendency to drive dangerously close to the divider at high speeds for long stretches. This is a very dangerous practice, a small uneven irregularity on the road or an un-intended very slight twist of the steering wheel can turn catastrophic causing the car to plough into the divider.
The right lane closest to the divider is only to be used for overtaking manoeuvres befor returning to the mid or left lane.

... but unfortunately in this case the 800 just doesn't have a monococque passenger safety ...
I guess you need to watch the video again. The car is actually travelling quite far from the median, and if you pause it a couple of seconds before the overtaking you will observe the median is perfect and there is no other obstacle, not even a loose stone in the lane.

The driver turns to the right upon realizing he will hit the vehicle in front. This alone should tell you the driver was not driving in the rightmost lane. If he had been, there is enough space for the M800 to pass safely without changing course.

M800 is a monocoque design, I think. Also we do not know if the engine bsy was sheared off, or just the roof crumpled in and the passenger compartment was crushed in the toppling over.

At high speeds, any reckless maneuver will be catastrophic. It doesn't have to be near the divider. Even at seemingly moderae speeds, even low sitting sedans can bump into other cars, launch in the air and topple over. Enough videos on Youtube of them.

Last edited by honeybee : 31st August 2017 at 11:38.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 11:51   #24478
BHPian

Here is my analysis:

The Creta first appears at 0:55.
From 1:04 to 1:14 recording is paused.
After 1:14 the Maruti 800 is moving significantly faster than earlier.
Creta appears again at 1:45 and the Maruti seems to be in a hurry to overtake it and looks like the Creta is begrudgingly trying to block it. Mysteriously the Creta slows down significantly, almost stops as the M800 approaches it.

Was it road rage?
Old 31st August 2017, 13:29   #24479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The driver turns to the right upon realizing he will hit the vehicle in front.
You are spot on and this is when the right wheel hit the divider.

Quote:
.... Also we do not know if the engine bsy was sheared off, or just the roof crumpled in and the passenger compartment was crushed in the toppling over.
The link to the pics is included my previous post (the word "online" underlined). Did not upload them here as it is from another site. It can be clearly seen that the right A Pillar is fully caved inwards with the whole front shearing and curling towards the right, a clear sign that the point of impact was the right side hitting the divider.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 31st August 2017 at 13:32.
Old 31st August 2017, 13:52   #24480
BHPian

I viewed the video by slowing down the speed by 50%. I think there was enough space on the right of the Creta to pass without jumping on the divider. Also, the driver turns the steering to the right as soon as they are parallel to (or have almost completed overtaking) the Creta.

The only reason for this could be either the Creta or another car pushed them or else the driver lost control. Until the maruti met creta, it was being driven maybe fast but not rashly.

Last edited by luvDriving : 31st August 2017 at 13:58. Reason: Additions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks