Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2017, 18:06   #24541
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We have talked about this one before: "lost control" actually means failed to, or could not, control the vehicle. Or actually never had proper control of it in the first place. But the phrase is used as if some unknown force took a hand, at which point what happens ceases to be the driver's responsibility.
This is probably off topic, however there are a multitude of reasons and factors behind an accident. Unlike we armchair experts look at the photos and the newspaper description and conclude someone guilty or not, if a proper research into the causes of an accident were to be conducted, it would have to take into account so many variables, including service history of the vehicle involved, condition of its tyres including pressure before the journey, data about what worked and what didn't in the vehicle, the driver, his/her history of driving etc etc etc. There are just so many variables, one can't study them all and present a credible hypothesis in a day.

And most newspapers and websites need to report the accident asap. So the phrase used is "the driver lost control of the vehicle". This phrase is merely a description, and has no legal sanctity. The legal sanctity is accorded to the FIR registered by the police, the evidence gathered through photographs, eye witness descriptions etc etc and it is the duty of the court to decide who was at fault.

When a case is presented in the court and is analyzed, that's when we shall find out why the driver might have lost control of the vehicle.

So let's put our arguments over this to rest and move on.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 22:51   #24542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
So let's put our arguments over this to rest and move on.
Honeybee, the reason that the words matter, whether it is this lost-control thing or the two-wheelers that are always the victims in the reports, is that they influence the way people think and the attitudes with which we drive.

So lets move on remembering this, not putting it to one side.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 13:17   #24543
Team-BHP Support

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2017090613h13m59s165.png

Picture taken from video recorded on my dashcam.
Happened on the Chevala Road, Hyderabad. Near the Shadan College.

This car lost its tire, overturned and came to a rest on its side.
Happened on 05-September(Yesterday) at around 7:30 PM.

Luckily no injuries.
Old 6th September 2017, 14:55   #24544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... the reason that the words matter, whether it is this lost-control thing or the two-wheelers that are always the victims in the reports, is that they influence the way people think and the attitudes with which we drive.
For the perceptions to change, media would have to publish court verdicts of each and every accident reported. Not possible.

And I surely don't make my opinions by reading news. I know the news is just a view point of someone, and not the true and complete account of what happened.

Anyway, enough OT.
Old 6th September 2017, 16:14   #24545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
For the perceptions to change, media would have to publish court verdicts of each and every accident reported. Not possible.
Wrong!

It is what we are doing right here. We may not be reaching millions, but everything has to start somewhere.
Old 6th September 2017, 19:22   #24546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wrong!

It is what we are doing right here. We may not be reaching millions, but everything has to start somewhere.
I don't believe we have enough information on most of these accidents to discuss and conclude who is in the wrong or 'what made a driver lose control'. I do believe that a lot more details would be needed to decide that.

At best we can put forth theories, probable causes, our opinions.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 21:39   #24547
BHPian

A small accident caught in my car DVR. Both the car and bike just went on their way after the accident (the car didn't even stopped to check what happened).

r_devakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:18   #24548
BHPian

This happened last week and the driver was caught. This is what he said:

Quote:
"I was supposed to reach college by 7.45am; even a one minute delay would have led to adverse consequences,"
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60385309.cms
AltoLXI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:26   #24549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
This happened last week and the driver was caught. This is what he said:......
I read it i yesterday's TOI. The adverse consequences were him either losing a day's salary or a day's leave.
It was also interesting how the police traced the driver from just the last 2 digits of the registration number.
jayantvs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:56   #24550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60385309.cms
The same pressure is applied to the BPO/Company cab drivers
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:57   #24551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
The adverse consequences were him either losing a day's salary or a day's leave.
Now the guilt of causing a death will remain throughout his life...

Do not understand why people are in such a tearing hurry. Is reaching a destination a few minutes earlier more important than the lives they snuff out? Can't they imagine what would have happened if they were in the victim's position?
Old 7th September 2017, 11:07   #24552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
It was also interesting how the police traced the driver from just the last 2 digits of the registration number.
Shows that the cops can indeed crack a crime if they put their minds to it.

Quote:
Now the guilt of causing a death will remain throughout his life...

Do not understand why people are in such a tearing hurry. Is reaching a destination a few minutes earlier more important than the lives they snuff out? Can't they imagine what would have happened if they were in the victim's position?
It usually comes with the notion that 'nothing will happen to me, I have driven on this stretch for so many years without an incident, I know it like the back of my hand, and nothing will happen to me'.

As for the guilt, if a professor does not stop and help the victim, I don't know what to say.

Good job by the cops to have caught the culprit so quickly.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 11:19   #24553
BHPian

Quote:
It's probably a cultural thing. Everyone underestimates the time taken to reach somewhere like office and overestimates the drive back. It's just easy to start early and reach early, but no one really does that. Net result is speeding, honking and just hoping somehow that they make it on time.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 16:46   #24554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
It's probably a cultural thing. Everyone underestimates the time taken to reach somewhere like office and overestimates the drive back. It's just easy to start early and reach early, but no one really does that. Net result is speeding, honking and just hoping somehow that they make it on time.
Add to that the impatience of having to wait. The advent of information technology and the availability of information at one's fingertips in seconds make people accustomed to having anything they desire very quickly. This in turn makes them impatient if they have to slow down or if they have to wait for their turn.

This is in addition to all the other causes.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 18:06   #24555
BHPian

Quote:

[url="http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/hit-and-run-case-professor-held-says-he-was-rushing-to-college/articleshow/60385309.cms"]]
It shows the callousness on part of the Professor, he has knocked down a person and he has made a run for it.
He should have rightfully taken her to the hospital. The sad part is he is a teacher, a person who imparts knowledge, and there he is acting in this manner. Whatever the reason, a life was lost since he was in a tearing hurry. The less said the better.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks