Lucky S-Cross owner!!

Dr.Naren is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 00:11   #24557
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Lucky S-Cross owner!!
The driver must thank his lucky stars. At one point I thought the car would topple or hit something but thank god it did not happen. The driver must be in shock after this incident.

The road looks very slippery and wet. Looks like he braked hard at high speeds.

Last edited by jayantvs : 9th September 2017 at 00:12.
jayantvs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 00:25   #24558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lucky S-Cross owner!!
It seems, over-speeding on a wet road caused aquaplaning.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 08:02   #24559
Senior - BHPian

Typical Indian thinking.
Time of event/appointment - 6 pm
Travel time expected - 30 min
"If I leave at 5.45 pm I'll be ok."
Leaves at 5.55 pm
And then -
"If it wasn't for other drivers driving rashly I would have reached on time".
BenjiRoss is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 10:31   #24560
BHPian

Just saw this post on Facebook, I am not related to the concerned party in anyway but a according to the post, a brand new Ignis Bridgestone tyres burst and the car toppled. Bridgestone is denying quality issue, blaming it on a sidewall cut due to a pot hole. But from the picture, seems to be a tyre explosion, nice big hole in the sidewall.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1472754243
MODS: please remove this post if it doesn't belong here.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1504932969534.jpg  

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 9th September 2017 at 10:32.
Old 9th September 2017, 11:12   #24561
Senior - BHPian

A hole in the sidewall could also be caused by brushing against a foreign object. I had a fist sized hole in my tyre when I accidentally drove into a broken divider.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 11:24   #24562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lucky S-Cross owner!!
Wow.
This guy is so damn lucky. Even in the last frame if he had toppled driving side may have hit the stationary auto. God has been kind to him. Hopefully, he will repay by driving sensibly now on.

Clearly a case of losing control while overspeeding without considering the wet road conditions.

We have so many ignorant people in our country behind wheels without any knowledge of how to drive in what conditions. That's why while giving or renewing a driving license all these things should be taught to every driver.

Mod's note: Entire quoted post trimmed in the best interests of readability

Last edited by theMAG : 9th September 2017 at 17:53.
Old 9th September 2017, 11:39   #24563
BHPian

IMHO, the good build quality i.e. the weight and the body dynamics along with luck that saved the S-Cross from topple. If we imagine a boxy SUV here, it would have been toppled at least twice 😊.

Last edited by Hickstead : 9th September 2017 at 12:08.
Hickstead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 11:48   #24564
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not clear what happened and why, because, if I am seeing it right, the car is moving sideways as comes from behind those trees?

Clearly, the driver had "lost it" badly and may have made things worse by having no clue how to correct the situation or at least not make it worse. I say that humbly and without claiming I could have done better.

But the fact remains: what causes skidding? The driver.

We don't know if it began with rash driving, or perhaps swerving to avoid somebody else's rash move.

It is a good example of something I was saying earlier. We don't know what we can and can't do until it gets tested. Luck saved this guy.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 12:18   #24565
Senior - BHPian

I am not quite clear from where the car starts to skid, but why do i get a feeling that the S Cross was trying to avoid that Scooter who is standing right on the road, near the median and that might have caused him to panic and lead to what ever happened ?
Old 9th September 2017, 12:33   #24566
BANNED

Quote:
Lucky S-Cross owner!!
Is it only me or some more people also think that the dynamics, weight balance and the chassis of the S Cross also played their role quite well here? Although slipper surface means less friction, hence the lower part (tyres) moved as much or more than the upper part (cab), so no chance of toppling. But, had it been a bigger UV or maybe some tall hatch or even a Creta, then?

So, for me, it has to be the chassis of S cross + his lucky stars = safe out of accident.

Mod's note: Entire quoted post trimmed in the best interests of readability

Last edited by theMAG : 9th September 2017 at 17:52.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 14:21   #24567
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, COG always plays a roll in stability. A high, slab-sided vehicle (a truck even!) is easier to blow over, never mind roll.

I think the car actually put the back wheel over the edge first. It must have grabbed in the soft ground so that the front spun around enough so that the car went down the slope forwards rather than sideways. Tempted to say one couldn't do that if you tried but... I wonder how hard that would be, say, for a stunt driver.
Old 9th September 2017, 15:12   #24568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, COG always plays a roll in stability. A high, slab-sided vehicle (a truck even!) is easier to blow over, never mind roll.
You can say that again.

Quote:
But the fact remains: what causes skidding? The driver.
A couple of years ago I had read some research report online that said 90% of car accidents are due to driver's fault while 90% of plane crashes are due to faulty or poor maintenance of aircraft. Unable to recollect and locate that report now.

I think its a mix of attentive, defensive driving and choosing a vehicle which has good stability, all round visibility and most importantly good brakes.

Also I personally feel drivers who indulge in chatter with passengers are most inattentive and poorly poised to handle unexpected situations.
chevyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 18:06   #24569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
... A couple of years ago I had read some research report online that said 90% of car accidents are due to driver's fault while 90% of plane crashes are due to faulty or poor maintenance of aircraft. Unable to recollect and locate that report now. ...
I would say that almost all road accidents are the fault of a human, not necessarily a driver. With the percentage increasing when only vehicles are involved.

Mechanicals, tyres, etc are pretty reliable these days (or years even). Of course, nothing is foolproof. Sometimes things break or burst. The truck guy is just following the script when he gets out of the cab and says, "brake failure," but with ancient, badly maintained trucks and buses, with barely any rubber on their wheels, on the roads, mechanics is more likely to be a factor. Which is the fault of a human: except that human is sitting behind a desk, not driving the vehicle
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 19:48   #24570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not clear what happened and why, because, if I am seeing it right, the car is moving sideways as comes from behind those trees?

But the fact remains: [i]what causes skidding? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I am not quite clear from where the car starts to skid...
This is a familiar stretch full of curves after descending the Shiradi ghats.

The rear wheels slipped/acquaplaned on the slippery wet road and fish-tailed towards its right when the driver applied brakes on a curve bending left. Clearly the Driver's fault (over speeding on a wet road).

Once the rear starts to fishtail, it is extremely difficult to regain control of the vehicle.
Not many people realize the dangers of speeding on a wet rainy patch. Have to be very slow and cautious especially on curves in these conditions. A slight tap on the brakes on a wet curve can unsettle the vehicle, a very scary situation having experienced it once on the same road but after climbing the ghats and regained control thankfully the speed was lower.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th September 2017 at 19:50.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks