Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2017, 09:54   #24646
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Yesterday observed accident involving Swift Dzire, which had gone completely under a parked container truck on NH after Walayar check post, the driver seat was completely flattened under the lorry, I passed by without stopping as too many people and cops were around the site and I was in a hurry. Anyone has news if there were causalities? This was around 10 AM. My take is that the car may have been over speeding and lost control, and it was raining heavily to boot.
Old 18th September 2017, 10:10   #24647
Distinguished - BHPian

The deadly accident has happened at the descent of the BETL flyover. Those of you who are regulars here must be aware about one spot at the end where the road surface dips badly and lifts again where the metal grills have been placed for water to drain.

Daily drivers here mostly slow down to avoid a bad jolt to their cars due to this.

If anyone of these teenagers were driving way too fast that they either braked right here or passed over this grill at high speeds that then resulted in unsettling of one of the cars, it may have caused side swipes and then the sequence of events that followed.

Also when traffic is thin (Late nights), most of the traffic that is merging from ground level to BETL descent tries to invariably deviate towards the median and often slowing down the traffic coming down from BETL.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-betl.jpg

In the pic you can notice how the distance between the uneven/dangerous surface and point where lanes converge is less than 75 meters. In fact, the BETL wall ends much before this and there are people who just try to move to right lane when coming from Bommanahalli signal.

The representation is to show how higher speeds right at this post can result in accidents.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 10:18   #24648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
They deserve this. I have no pity on these kids at all. One less moron who would have grown up and may have been responsible for the deaths of a few more innocents in the future.
The survivors and parents should be made to rot in prison for a few years to teach them a lesson.
I pity the kids but not the parents. Teenagers have no idea what it is to drive so dangerously. Blame it on the hormones but the parents should have the responsibility not to hand over the vehicles to kids. Unfortunately if the parents are also such nitwits, how can one expect them to teach their kids on the dangers of driving in rash manner. Fate teaches them in a harsh way
Old 18th September 2017, 11:25   #24649
BHPian

The news about the teens in TOI.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60725643.cms

I think as a part of CSR activities some company should take up the perils of underage and highspeed driving.

Last edited by redcruiser : 18th September 2017 at 11:30. Reason: correction of quote
Old 18th September 2017, 11:53   #24650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I pity the kids but not the parents. Teenagers have no idea what it is to drive so dangerously. Blame it on the hormones but the parents should have the responsibility not to hand over the vehicles to kids. Unfortunately if the parents are also such nitwits, how can one expect them to teach their kids on the dangers of driving in rash manner. Fate teaches them in a harsh way
To correct your line regarding blaming the parents below is an excerpt from TOI which states that the parents were not aware of their kids taking the cars out.

Quote:
Police said the three boys took the cars out when their parents were asleep around midnight.
Its another discussion altogether as to why keep the keys of the vehicles so easily accessible especially when you have teens (with their testosterone levels high) at home!

While one of the kid is no more there, it would be a very sad loss for the parents to lose the kid at the age! I pity them.

I was shocked to read when I read the highlighted bit from the report:

Quote:
"Arfhan first lost control over his car after they got down the ramp and entered Hosur Road. He hit the barricades to his right in the median. In the impact of the crash, the car banged against the barricades, severing his head. Arfhan's head fell off, while the torso remained in the car that toppled before coming to a halt," the officer explained.
How can this happen? Was it because of such high whiplash and him not wearing seatbelts?
Old 18th September 2017, 12:45   #24651
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

How can this happen? Was it because of such high whiplash and him not wearing seatbelts?
No seat belts and maybe the driver window was down. Again the window could have shattered and his torso was thrown half out.

That is why on track, we are told to keep the windows up and cracked open by a few inches only
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 13:09   #24652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To correct your line regarding blaming the parents below is an excerpt from TOI which states that the parents were not aware of their kids taking the cars out.
Without knowledge of parents 16 - 17 years teens don't become driver overnight. Same ToI news reported:

Quote:
"They come from affluent families. Srinivas and Aniruddh are students of prominent international schools and children of software engineers. They claim they regularly go on in early-morning drives with schoolmates," a police officer said.
Quote:
I see airbags deployed in the Skoda. I am not sure about Skoda, but the Mahindra guy came for demo of my TUV3OO told me that driver must be wearing seat belt for airbags to deploy. Looks like the Skoda was the leading car, was it so that he took out his head to claim his win?

Last edited by airbus : 18th September 2017 at 13:12. Reason: Added quote.
airbus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 13:11   #24653
BHPian

Quote:

Its another discussion altogether as to why keep the keys of the vehicles so easily accessible especially when you have teens (with their testosterone levels high) at home!
Bangalore Mirror has this version:

Quote:
Madiwala traffic police said, though the parents claim they were not aware of their children taking the cars, they did know their children had gone for jolly drives earlier.
It is not that the parents were not aware that their child was taking the car earlier. Anybody driving a car at 150 kmph is not a rookie who has just learnt how to drive a car.

Quote:
Maybe he was doing something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-download.jpg  

AltoLXI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 13:15   #24654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
excerpt from TOI which states that the parents were not aware of their kids taking the cars out.

?
To me, though it might be a harsh thing to say, the parents claiming they weren't aware of the kids taking out the cars is a way of avoiding the charges on fathers. They can only be booked for the act if they have permitted the children to use the cars illegally. But if they claim that they were not aware of the kids taking out the cars how can one charge the parents for this? The blame then will entirely fall on the kids for using the car illegally and unauthorised. Hence it looks like the statement was made to reduce the charges.

Thinking of it, how can the kids sneak out of the house in the middle of the night that too with a car and still slip under the watch of parents/family members/pet/watchman and then go for a joyride and expect to come back without alerting anyone? Are the parents in such a deep sleep they they wont even realise all this?
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 13:46   #24655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
To me, though it might be a harsh thing to say, the parents claiming they weren't aware of the kids taking out the cars is a way of avoiding the charges on fathers. They can only be booked for the act if they have permitted the children to use the cars illegally. But if they claim that they were not aware of the kids taking out the cars how can one charge the parents for this? The blame then will entirely fall on the kids for using the car illegally and unauthorised. Hence it looks like the statement was made to reduce the charges.

Thinking of it, how can the kids sneak out of the house in the middle of the night that too with a car and still slip under the watch of parents/family members/pet/watchman and then go for a joyride and expect to come back without alerting anyone? Are the parents in such a deep sleep they they wont even realise all this?
Initial reports said, the parents were aware of the ride and they gave them the keys. Later the official version might have changed maybe based on lawyer consultation. There is FIR filed against parents. Actually, such rides were not the first time for those teenagers. The parents were senior folks in IT sector. It is not that they were unaware of underage driving and safety habits.

Quote:
This was the photo shared by BTP.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-21586948_1502953683103667_1995670273808323185_o.jpg

Last edited by msdivy : 18th September 2017 at 13:51.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 13:54   #24656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
They deserve this. I have no pity on these kids at all. One less moron who would have grown up and may have been responsible for the deaths of a few more innocents in the future.
The survivors and parents should be made to rot in prison for a few years to teach them a lesson.
Even though I feel sad for the Parents, who lost their young one, I do agree with you. They got what they deserved.

Had the almighty not punished them now, they could have potentially killed some other innocent road user in the future.

The blame for this mishap should go directly to the parents, and prompt punishment should be handed out to them.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 14:08   #24657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was shocked to read when I read the highlighted bit from the report:
The ToI link states the boy's head hit the barricades too. That could be the reason.

Mere whiplash would not dismember the head, although a severe whiplash could be fatal.
Old 18th September 2017, 14:23   #24658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was it because of such high whiplash and him not wearing seatbelts?
I just watched the news9 video and airbags in the Rapid have deployed, so i'm guessing he was wearing seatbelts and couldn't have put his head out like in the pic posted above.

I wonder if hitting the barricade severed his head.
Old 18th September 2017, 14:47   #24659
Team-BHP Support

Guys, in the entry level VAG cars, airbags' deployment does not have any link with the seatbelts. There are no electric connections with the seatbelt buckle that links to the ACU (airbag control unit). The crash sensors registering the hit is sufficient for the airbags to deploy.
Gannu_1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 14:50   #24660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I just watched the news9 video and airbags in the Rapid have deployed, so i'm guessing he was wearing seatbelts and couldn't have put his head out like in the pic posted above.

I wonder if hitting the barricade severed his head.
I remember, some members had reported that on Skoda cars, airbags are deployed without seat-belts. Is that the case here?

Most Viewed