Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2017, 14:23   #24691
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Usually agree with you, but not on this one. Even if it is a private area, if the child slips and falls (is she attempting a wheelie?? ), without any basic safety gear, there is a chance of a catastrophic injury. What makes the parent let the child take risks like this? I simply cannot fathom. If it was up to me there was no way she would be allowed to get on the bike. Completely the parent to blame.
No problem with the disagreement... I was seeking education and you and bblost provided it. Thanks
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 17:28   #24692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
A very fatal crash for sure, but can't deduce much from the angle of the photograph. Either the ZDI or ZDI+ model by the look of the alloys. No airbag deplyment visible from this angle at least. Anybody have any further info on this incident ?
From the image it looks like the car was sandwiched between two large vehicles probably at very low speeds or while standing behind a larger vehicle. That could be a reason why the airbags did not deploy. A horrible crash for sure.
Old 21st September 2017, 17:49   #24693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
From the image it looks like the car was sandwiched between two large vehicles probably at very low speeds or while standing behind a larger vehicle. That could be a reason why the airbags did not deploy. A horrible crash for sure.
Also looks like the picture has been taken after moving the car from the original accident scene and probably after cutting open the top and the sides for extricating the passengers
Old 22nd September 2017, 14:32   #24694
BANNED

A new Scorpio falls off a grade separator near Avinashi. 5 dead.
R.I.P.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-scorp-acc.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2017, 15:48   #24695
BHPian

Actor Jai Sampath was involved in an accident when he rammed his Audi A4 into the Adyar bridge railing this morning. The Shastri Nagar police that came to the spot conducted a breath analyzer test and he was found to be driving under the the influence of alcohol.

The cops have recommended for his license to be cancelled.

This is not the first time. He was previously fined for DUI in 2014.

News Article

Last edited by Shanksta : 22nd September 2017 at 15:52.
Old 22nd September 2017, 15:51   #24696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
A new Scorpio falls off a grade separator near Avinashi. 5 dead.
R.I.P.
http://www.uniindia.com/five-killed-...ws/997383.html

Apparently the Scorpio fell off the flyover after colliding with a TN transport bus. The article says the Scorpio was travelling towards Coimbatore and Bus towards Selam. Now these are dual carriage, separate flyovers and possibly a gap in between. I wonder how the both collided, unless the Scorpio or the bus was travelling in the wrong carriageway in the opposite direction.

Again, the flyover is on a curve.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/@11.15...!5m1!1e1?hl=en

Edit: I may be wrong, the article says both the vehicles were travelling to Coimbatore.

The rear right part of the Scorpio has a distinct green marks of the TN State bus paint.

Last edited by bejoy : 22nd September 2017 at 15:57.
Old 23rd September 2017, 11:29   #24697
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a few minutes ago on NH75; Mangalore road at Udayapura, few kms away from Channarayapatna. the i20 wouldn't have spotted the fiesta slowing down for the speed breaker. After hitting the Fiesta, it's gone over the median. Luckily the boot of the fiesta was empty. A lady in the rear set was unhurt. No idea about the i20 occupants

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170923_1116211.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170923_1116111.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 11:36   #24698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Just a few minutes ago on NH75; Mangalore road at Udayapura, few kms away from Channarayapatna. the i20 wouldn't have spotted the fiesta slowing down for the speed breaker. After hitting the Fiesta, it's gone over the median. Luckily the boot of the fiesta was empty. A lady in the rear set was unhurt. No idea about the i20 occupants
Why don't people maintain safe distances?

Seems like a populated area, where every conceivable obstruction must be anticipated.
Old 23rd September 2017, 11:56   #24699
BHPian

Not exactly an accident,

It was a 35 year old (approx) banyan tree that fell.

This happened in the rains of 19 September in mumbai, in a by-lane of lokhandwala complex. This is also the only road to my residence which was blocked for 2 days for vehicular traffic.

Cars involved are Mercedes E class, Tata Hexa and Skoda Superb, no human injuries or fatalities to report (Thank God).

Considering the fact that the tree was an extremely heavy one, all three cars have done well to protect the passenger cell.

The real shock of the 3 however was the skoda superb which took the direct impact of the branches of the tree (which were so heavy that they led to the damage of an iron fencing of the adjacent building). The car was hidden under the tree completely and was discovered only after it was chopped off by the BMC officials but still the passenger cell was absolutely intact. Kudos Skoda!

Definitely a company for me to consider for my future purchases on account of the build quality alone.

The hexa is a total loss and is still stuck under the trunk of the tree. I shall upload pics of it once the car is free-d out.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0110.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0108min.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0109min.jpg
The AG 6167 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 16:36   #24700
BHPian

Ok so the Hexa got out of the clutches of the tree trunk and I'll say I am even more stunned than the skoda at how well it has done considering the fact that the tree trunk must have weighed several hundred kilos and it was lying under it since 4 days.

The car started without any drama and was running absolutely fine, however, I like the fact that the owner still had it towed to the service center instead of driving it there.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0113min.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0114min.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0115min.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0116.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the last picture, it was taken from the house window several floors off the ground and its the best my phone could do.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd September 2017 at 22:18. Reason: fixed orientation of an image.
The AG 6167 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 15:33   #24701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The AG 6167 View Post
It was a 35 year old (approx) banyan tree that fell.
.. the tree was an extremely heavy one, all three cars have done well to protect the passenger cell...
There is no doubt about the cabin integrity and build of these cars and they have held up well.

Since it was a banyan tree, it would have had a huge canopy and when it fell, the canopy/outward branches would have hit the ground first taking most of the load, saving the cars from the full weight/brunt of those massive trunk and branches.

Had the full weight of those trunks fallen directly, any car would have been reduced to pulp like in the pic below.
https://goo.gl/images/xwnfoc

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th September 2017 at 15:41.
for_cars1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 15:39   #24702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm not a 2-wheeler rider, and I don't know how much risk that child is taking.
One needn't necessarily be a two wheeler rider to know how much risk is involved with children riding & doing stunts on 2 wheelers.
It is just basic sense of judgement that is required to know the risks involved here, and you have answered it yourself in the same post.

Quote:
but what happens if that thing falls on her leg?
That, exactly is the risk involved.

It is still riskier if she rams it onto a cyclist or a pedestrian or anything for that matter.

Only the parents are to be blamed for encouraging such stupid & dangerous acts.
At that age, the child may not be knowing what is legal, what is safe and it is the parent's responsibility to educate them about all these.

And instead of doing that, here the parents are proudly posting the photos of such dangerous acts on social media!

With such stupid parents, the only hope left for the kid is growing up and learning all these legalities and safety aspects in due course of time by herself, through education and from the society.

My only prayer is that the kid lives long enough to do all that.

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 24th September 2017 at 15:46.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 08:51   #24703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
would have hit the ground first taking most of the load, saving the cars from the full weight/brunt of those massive trunk and branches.

Had the full weight of those trunks fallen directly, any car would have been reduced to pulp like in the pic below.
https://goo.gl/images/xwnfoc
Possibly For_cars1 that may have been the case however the when the tree fell the canopy hit the iron fence of the building opposite to the building in which the tree was planted (can be seen over the skoda) so I presume a significant part of the impact may have been absorbed by that as well, however, I was standing there when the tree was being cut by the bmc and when the skoda got uncovered it had a huge branch (the size of a sports bike probably) sitting on its roof which had shattered the sunroof. Further, the pictures of the hexa before it came out of the wreckage is evidence that it faced the trunk of the tree on its head with significant impact if not all of the impact of the fall. considering that I'd say both cars have still done pretty well.
Old 25th September 2017, 13:23   #24704
BHPian

Students speed to death at 170kmph
Quote:
Two students were killed here early on Sunday when they indulged in rash driving and sped their sports bike at 170kmph! They lost control of the bike, hit a median near Jammichettu Centre in Moghalrajapuram area and crashed into an electric pole. The impact displaced the streetlight atop the pole and flung the bike 150 metres away , with its wreckage found strewn all over the place.
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...25092017010031

Mathrubhumi report has CCTV visuals:
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/news/indi...kmph-1.2264228
darklord is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 13:34   #24705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Students speed to death at 170kmph
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...25092017010031

Mathrubhumi report has CCTV visuals:
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/news/indi...kmph-1.2264228
From the link, it is a KTM Duke.
It also mentions the speedo was stuck at 170 kmph, on a digital speedo too?

Last edited by tharian : 25th September 2017 at 13:35.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed