Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2017, 10:54   #24781
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

And they should be told not to drive more than 90-100 even on our highways. 140 isn't a safe speed on our roads and it's high time people understand this.
+1

Even in most other countries, 110/120 kmph is the max legal speed in their best highways and for a good reason.

Its not just about the ability of a vehicle but the limitation of human reaction time, the time we take to react to any sitation is about 250 milliseconds.
At 140 kmph, about 38 meters/130 feet of distance would get covered in a second ie., the human mind wouldn't even realize if anything came upto 50 to 60 feet in front of the vehicle let alone react to it (minimum Thinking distance).

Thinking distance combined with about another 100 meters of braking distance at 140 kmph, we are talking about 400 to 450 feet just to bring the vehicle to a stop at these speeds.

Irrespective of the vehicle one drives, 140 kmph is not safe on any roads.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 8th October 2017 at 10:57.
for_cars1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 12:27   #24782
BHPian

The guy in the Verna, Nikhit who was all of 19 years old, was my next door neighbour. I hate seeing the aftermath, so restrained from visiting his house, but my mom did. His parents are heartbroken and sister is semi-conscious. The car did jump over the divider, they say his friend who was driving had slept off at the wheel. No matter how great a driver you are, all you need is a fraction of second and it's all over. Drive safe people.
RSM_TorqueZoner is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 13:30   #24783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
The guy in the Verna, Nikhit who was all of 19 years old, was my next door neighbour. I hate seeing the aftermath, so restrained from visiting his house, but my mom did. His parents are heartbroken and sister is semi-conscious. The car did jump over the divider, they say his friend who was driving had slept off at the wheel. No matter how great a driver you are, all you need is a fraction of second and it's all over. Drive safe people.
The accident spot is only about 20kms from where they were put up and it is told that they had went out looking for an eat out on the highway. Highly doubt the slept off reason. After all, how can it be sure that the driver slept off as none survived to say what they were up to, or no other circumstantial evidences. It could be most likely he got distracted and lost control on those slight curves.

Though it is a divided 4 lane road, it looks narrow, and you do not have enough margins if you step out, and no much room to play around. I always felt that one need to be very careful if cruising on right lane on this highway, as any error on steering will take you on to the divider.
Is the lane width a standard figure for all highways?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 8th October 2017 at 13:55.
Old 8th October 2017, 15:50   #24784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Though it is a divided 4 lane road, it looks narrow, and you do not have enough margins if you step out, and no much room to play around. I always felt that one need to be very careful if cruising on right lane on this highway, as any error on steering will take you on to the divider.
Is the lane width a standard figure for all highways?
The road is of a proper width but it varies from place to place and many a times there are distractions on the left lane, all though its comparatively emptier in the night.

The first problem will be improper banking on many of the curves, they are just too flat for even a 60-80 kph turn, that's just my opinion based on comparison with any NHAI built roads. No one sticks to speed limits on this road. It's set at 40 / 60 and 80 depending on the region.

The second problem is that the raised median is not visible at high due to mud and grime hiding the white lines. Add to this, sudden appearance of animals from the bushes.

The third problem are blinding high beams from oncoming traffic. For some reason people simply cannot drive with low beam and switch to high when necessary.

Fourth problem are freshly tarred unmarked sections.

I have done many late night CCD trips on this road, and still do, the conditions have deteriorated quite a bit over time, the speeds have reduced as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
No matter how great a driver you are, all you need is a fraction of second and it's all over. Drive safe people.
True that. On a curvy road, all you need is 1 second or less of shuteye to get into a large mess.
Old 8th October 2017, 16:59   #24785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
On a curvy road, all you need is 1 second or less of shuteye to get into a large mess.
I've heard it said that a person cannot sneeze without closing their eyes. It is not true. I may reduce to a squint, but I do not close my eyes for sneezing if I am driving: it is too dangerous.
Old 9th October 2017, 12:11   #24786
Senior - BHPian

Pothole menace is not only causing traffic bottlenecks but are also causing fatal accidents in Bengaluru.

An 47 year old home maker was killed when she fell from two wheeler and was crushed by a truck. Her nephew who was riding the vehicle escaped unhurt. Both the rider and pillion were wearing helmet.

There are 2 versions of the accident.

1. The accident was triggered by the road ridden with potholes and the 2 wheeler rider trying to avoid it and came in the path of the truck.

2. The truck was avoiding potholes and nudged the 2 wheeler from back.

The truck driver was captured, thrashed and handed over to police who have as usual put up negligent driving case on him. RIP the deceased.

This is the third death related to potholes. Last week two people were also crushed to death by a bus when they fell trying to avoid pothole.

Source and original article here.

While I am deeply saddened by the loss (and also not being a witness to these accidents), I am not very sure if the fault lies with the truck/bus. I have seen most of the 2 wheelers and autos blindly turn right or left while avoiding potholes without giving a care as to who is behind or beside them. The simply do not understand the consequences behind their stupid act.

That split second decision of looking over your shoulder or mirrors before attempting to avoid any obstacle will help! All of you ride safe out there.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 12:21   #24787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I've heard it said that a person cannot sneeze without closing their eyes. It is not true. I may reduce to a squint, but I do not close my eyes for sneezing if I am driving: it is too dangerous.
I wonder why haven't people ever discussed this; especially while driving at night. You cannot (?) control your sneezing so what do you do?
Thankfully so far I have never been in a bad situation, but I do fear this. 1 second is about the right time you close your eyes. I personally try to fight it, but does not work. I would love to hear suggestions.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:09   #24788
BHPian

Not a major accident but could have been far worse. See Link . Google search throws similar stories on this route
Old 9th October 2017, 13:25   #24789
Distinguished - BHPian

Any reports on the burnt out 3 series on the DND expressway today morning?
Old 9th October 2017, 13:33   #24790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I would love to hear suggestions.
Pull down the window for some exhaust route, take the foot off the accelerator, sneeze and continue.
Never had any fear of loss of control, at least while driving within the speed limits and in a safe condition. (Not while negotiating a hair pin bend, or high speed tight overtaking maneuver) Big deal ?
Old 9th October 2017, 13:51   #24791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I wonder why haven't people ever discussed this; especially while driving at night. You cannot (?) control your sneezing so what do you do?
Thankfully so far I have never been in a bad situation, but I do fear this. 1 second is about the right time you close your eyes. I personally try to fight it, but does not work. I would love to hear suggestions.
With effort and practice you might manage to keep your eyes open just enough. This worked for me... But we are all different!
Old 9th October 2017, 13:55   #24792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejavuTrip View Post
Not a major accident but could have been far worse. See Link . Google search throws similar stories on this route
Saw this on TV too yesterday. I really didn't understand how it was the presence of mind of the driver. it was pure luck IMO.
The Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta (HGB for short) has been closed for personal vehicles for long and all tourists have no other option but to park their vehicles at a parking lot at the foothills and take the KSTRC buses. all tourists are left to the mercy of the drivers. So with so many trips a day and many more over the weekends, the drivers would be overconfident. Also we all know that the buses are not always maintained at their peak. I feel that these 2 reasons created the situation in the first place. All 68+1 in this case are really lucky IMO
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 14:02   #24793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
With effort and practice you might manage to keep your eyes open just enough. This worked for me... But we are all different!
I agree. I can confirm that I don't shut my eyes when I sneeze.

For those who are yet to practice let alone perfect the art of keeping ones eyes open when sneezing, I would suggest that one looks all around to ensure where is what/who etc. before sneezing.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 17:29   #24794
BHPian

Another un necessary death due to over speeding.

A native of Thrissur, and Palakkad Government Medical College assistant professor Dr. Naveen Kumar died after his bike was hit by an over speeding car here. His wife Dr. Jayasree and son who sustained injuries have been admitted at the hospital following the accident.
The incident took place in Palakkad township at 10 pm on Saturday when the bike ridden by Naveen was hit by an over speeding car that came from the opposite direction lost control. Naveen who suffered serious head injury was rushed to a private hospital but could not be saved.
The car has been identified as belonging to Nalakathu Sulaiman who hails from Lakkidi of Ottapalam. It's been also found out that the car was rented out by a 17-year old boy who is a native of Kurisyamkulam of Palakkad.
The police have registered a case making the owner of the car and the 17-yearl old as accused.

https://m.dailyhunt.in/news/india/en...ewsid-74505281

Malayalam news clip
Old 9th October 2017, 18:29   #24795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
An 47 year old home maker was killed when she fell from two wheeler and was crushed by a truck. Her nephew who was riding the vehicle escaped unhurt. Both the rider and pillion were wearing helmet.
She and her nephew took the two wheeler from Shampura to Nayandahalli despite her husband telling them to go by bus. The road conditions are so horrible, I cannot imagine going on two wheeler all the way till Nayandahalli. They were supposed to go to Ramanagar - do not know till what point they were planning to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
While I am deeply saddened by the loss (and also not being a witness to these accidents), I am not very sure if the fault lies with the truck/bus. I have seen most of the 2 wheelers and autos blindly turn right or left while avoiding potholes without giving a care as to who is behind or beside them. The simply do not understand the consequences behind their stupid act.

That split second decision of looking over your shoulder or mirrors before attempting to avoid any obstacle will help! All of you ride safe out there.
1. More so during night when you cannot see the potholes and mirrors reflecting the high beam of the vehicles behind, it gets even more dangerous.
2. To keep a safe distance from the larger vehicle in front because you never know if the vehicle in front has passed over the pot hole without the rider being aware.
3. Riders get caught between the devil (if following close behind) and deep pothole. Brake hard to avoid pothole - you skid / lose balance and fall down and get run over. Swerve and get hit by other vehicles.

Maintain safe distance, expect potholes and ride slow in this minefield called Bengaluru roads.
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed