Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2017, 00:03   #24856
Senior - BHPian

stop, look, proceed, how hard can it be?

Last edited by Aditya : 24th October 2017 at 08:11. Reason: Back to back posts merged
ecenandu is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 08:05   #24857
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

In the 2nd video, the Polo could have easily braked instead of swerving. Looks like a new car too.
samaspire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 08:18   #24858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
In the 2nd video, the Polo could have easily braked instead of swerving. Looks like a new car too.
Yes, he/she didn't brake at all. Maybe a newbie driver in a new car. Even after swerving to his left to avoid the other car, he didn't try to turn right again nor brake.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 08:47   #24859
Senior - BHPian

The way the Innova Crysta tried to swerve and turn, looks like a maniac behind the wheel, trying to impress the occupants. Needless antics, and the guy in the Safari has to share the burden.

The Polo driver in the 2nd video was simply under-skilled. However, Eon driver took a really stupid U-turn without even looking out for oncoming traffic!

Feel bad for the Safari owner, as there was nothing really he could do. We are all driving safe, only till we meet up with an idiot behind the wheels I suppose.
aravind.anand is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 09:48   #24860
Team-BHP Support

I slow down whenever a zebra crossing and or a turn comes and shift to the middle lane after watching the RVM's. Anticipation is what most lack as well as patience and discipline.

And I don't think what I practice is something extra ordinary, it is just common sense.
Sheel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 09:49   #24861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

The Polo driver in the 2nd video was simply under-skilled. However, Eon driver took a really stupid U-turn without even looking out for oncoming traffic!
In this case, the traffic is in fact IN FRONT of him, while he is attempting the U. If he does not consider what is in plain sight, shudder to think how he will deal with the traffic that is coming behind him?
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 10:08   #24862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
At a glance, it appears that she lost her balance because of a difference in the level of the road and fell in the path of the crane following immediately behind her.
we have so many sections all over Pune where the road is not even at all. Neither in terms of road surface, nor in terms of carriage/ lane width.

The merging section at crossroads is always lower than the concrete section by a few inches. This is usually tarred or even worse filled with those interlocking pavement tiles with underlying sand. It takes just a passing shower and a few vehicles to create further undulations or potholes. The 2 wheeler drivers are at massive risk of skidding over these potholes either directly or getting run over while trying to swverve and avoid them.
Most of the traffic jams and/ or accidents are caused due to uneven lane width. At some places, the road is 5 lanes and within some distance you would have a bottleneck where traffic from 5 lanes merges into 1.5 lanes. Either because the road design is poor or due to illegal encroachments or squatters.
How difficult would it be to design roads with uninterrupted (minimum 2 lanes) of flowing traffic?
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 11:00   #24863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Totally stupid on the part of Innova driver to take a u-turn without checking oncoming traffic. However, Safari driver could have moved to middle lane unless the intersection was on a curve.

This reminds me on what happened during our road trip last week. I had to take a u-turn on four-lane NH6 highway and I initiated the turn and by habit, stopped at intersection to look for oncoming traffic. At that very instant an oncoming truck passed close to the median. Stop, look and proceed is what saved my life.
Old 24th October 2017, 11:20   #24864
BHPian

Our neighbor's Son-In-Law expired in this accident near Kanchipuram last evening.

In fact both the front seat passengers expired and the rear seat passengers severely injured.

The car is Hyundai Accent.

Actual cause of accident not known yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171023wa0029.jpg  

Srikanthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:07   #24865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I slow down whenever a zebra crossing and or a turn comes and shift to the middle lane after watching the RVM's. Anticipation is what most lack as well as patience and discipline.

And I don't think what I practice is something extra ordinary, it is just common sense.
This common sense should becomes a uncompromising rule when the road pass through the city like shown in the Innova Incident.

Drive with anticipation of a mishap at every Uturns and unmanned crossings and you will avoid casualty and damage.
Old 24th October 2017, 12:30   #24866
Senior - BHPian

Car hits road divider, results into 5 casualties.
The family was traveling from Gujarat.

Link

Images from the above mentioned link :
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-honda-city-hits-divider-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-honda-city-hits-divider.jpg  

Old 24th October 2017, 13:10   #24867
BHPian

Quote:
Stop, look, proceed, how hard can it be?
It's apparently very hard to do so. Drive in Bangalore and you have these new blind spots that have propped up behind every Metro Pillar in Vajayanagar, Kanakpura Road or CMH Road. I regularly see people just pop up with their Activas, Swifts, Autos and stop only when they are a few feet into the road. Same goes for Pedestrians and Cows as well. There seems to be no difference in the thought process regardless of the species.

I have seen and experienced this kind of a U Turn menace in 2006. Then fairly new at driving with a Ford Fusion on Inner Ring Road near EGL at night. Had to brake, change to second and brake again to get the car to stop from 60 on the outer lane (No ABS). The person taking the U Turn meanwhile froze in front of me realising his mistake.

1. Take a U Turn but maintain lane
2. Just look before taking one, its easy to spot a car coming towards you

As a learning I prefer to move to the left or middle lanes if available while approaching a gap in the median. It just has a much wider view and consequently a lot longer reaction time.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 13:35   #24868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
In the 2nd video, the Polo could have easily braked instead of swerving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, he/she didn't brake at all. he didn't try to turn right again nor brake.
It looks to be easy to brake and swerve. But practically that will not be the case. The moment he swerved seeing the car ahead, he must have panicked and not in his natural sense any more. And then there was no room left before he was jolted by climbing on to the raised area on the left nor there was any room to swerve right again.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 14:00   #24869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The way the Innova Crysta tried to swerve and turn, looks like a maniac behind the wheel, trying to impress the occupants.
Also happens when people take their bad city driving habit to highway - the me first attitude.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 14:15   #24870
BHPian

Quote:
Second video.
This place is quite close to where I live. Looks like the Eon had in fact overshot the break in the divider, reversed to come back in line and then went into the U turn blindly. I suspect he was too close to the divider there when he began the turn and hence was unable to see oncoming traffic. Utterly irresponsible.This being a reasonably well surfaced concrete road on the airport route, speeding is common. All the more reason for being cautious.
The Polo driver probably could have reduced the damage and drama by braking more aggressively. Looks like a new / unregistered car. Could be a test drive as there is a Volkswagon dealer showroom about an kilometer down that road.

Last edited by cogWheel : 24th October 2017 at 14:34. Reason: video link removed
cogWheel is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed