Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:35   #24916
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This accident happened right in front of our office, involving a Milk tanker, a Baleno, a i20, a i10 and 2 of the bikes. From the eye witness accounts, it seems while all the vehicles were waiting in signal, the Milk tanker comes fast and banged all these vehicles.

The Baleno seems the worst hit and turned 180 degree in the impact and gets dragged sandwiching between the tanker and the median. The i20 was a brand new and also took a quite a hit, but was removed immediately after the incident. One of the bikes involved is a Honda Dio and was completely mangled. It was the one which banged the i10 from behind and see the damage it caused in i10. Luckily, there are no casualties and you know what the Police registered - Brake failure.

Photo Credit: My close friend

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-baleno_back.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-baleno_front.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-baleno_left.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-407_front.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-407_left.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-i10_back.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-i10_right.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-i10_front.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-i10_left.jpg

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 2nd November 2017 at 12:37.
jpcoolguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:40   #24917
Distinguished - BHPian

What would you reckon the speed differential for almost entire car to go under a container carrier?

Would under run bar offer any protection if speed differential was so great?

Happened in Yamuna expressway connection Delhi Agra
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1509617333273.jpg  

sudev is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:47   #24918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
What would you reckon the speed differential for almost entire car to go under a container carrier?

Left lane. The truck could have been stationary. That is a horrendous site!!!
And knowing the Eway, that innova would have been north of a ton.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:49   #24919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OMG , with such a speed differential, I think under run bars would have made no difference. Looks like the driver failed to decelerate.
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:53   #24920
BHPian

Quote:

Oh my gosh! what a scary crash it is. With this kind of impact, the engine of the Innova could have been easily shifted into the boot .
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:54   #24921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At first instance, I thought a reckless Wagon R was squashed from the pic.

But damn,..that is a proper 7+ seater reduced to no seater

It really scares me to even think what would happen to human flesh & bone if solid metal can bend & break to that extent.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:59   #24922
Distinguished - BHPian

From news reports the driver and owner were returning to Agra after dropping his mother at Delhi airport. So I guess combination of high speed, sleep deprivation and hypnotising effect of endless expressway.....RIP.

Looking closely at the picture the vehicles seem to be on the left hand lanes if inference is drawn from the central kerb stones? SO wrong side overtaking gone WRONG?

Knew the gentleman from his participation in Taj Agra Rally.

Last edited by sudev : 2nd November 2017 at 16:02.
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:34   #24923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Horror sight that. This shows how the speed differential is so much more significant. This crash would be very similar to the following two crash tests.
https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/m...a-high-speed-1
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ounds-hit.html

No idea if the Under run bar was present or not on the truck. Even if it was present, it would've hardly had any effect on the final outcome.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 2nd November 2017 at 17:03.
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:37   #24924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
No idea if the Under run bar was present or not on the truck. Even if it was present, it would've had any effect on the final outcome.
A terrible sight that!
Maybe if all the trucks had working and effective tail lamps/ indicators it could be useful for other drivers to spot them.

I am not sure if winter has set in enough for us to blame it on bad visibility due to fog. But if that is the case, all the more reason for people to drive more defensively.
Old 2nd November 2017, 19:11   #24925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
OMG , with such a speed differential, I think under run bars would have made no difference. Looks like the driver failed to decelerate.
I disagree. An under run bar would've reduced the damage, even though the chance of survival would be minimal for front seat passengers. With the bar, the crumple zone would've reduced the damage to passenger compartment, atleast for rear row. In this case, it looks like bonnet/engine went under and it still had good amount of momentum when a piller hit the container.

Anyway, it's a terrifying sight and sends chills through my spine just looking at this photo . Any idea how many passengers were in it?
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 19:50   #24926
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that. Under bar would have thrown back or sideways the car at impact and further damage could have been reduced. This was shearing force at that speed rather than crushing force.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 20:09   #24927
BANNED

Quote:

For once i thought its some small hatchback, and then I took a closer look just to get

Reminded me of a similar incident where an Innova carrying some VC of some university met with a similar accident with a truck.

Found it, here it is:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-jntuavcmmmsarcardiedinaroadaccidente1487771611356.jpeg

Around 2 years back, I have came across an Aria which rear ended a truck at high speed (Even pushed the truck around 10 feet) and the outcome was nowhere as tragic as in the Innova crashes. I know that my judgement can be wrong, but the way things do turn out in most of the Innova crashes, I doubt if its structure was any good. Mark it, Innova was never a fast car (I have owned 2 of them and over 2 lac kms of ownership) that loves going fast on itself.

Going by the accident, there are 2 probabilities:
1) Slow moving truck - very fast moving car
2) Parked truck - very fast moving car

Last year, when I was working on a project in Agra, Yamuna Expressway is the route I used to take twice a week or even thrice at times. Day time its good enough with some people doing insane speeds, but most of the people still maintaining 100-120 kph speeds. It is after the midnight that things do change, at times you hit some stretches where not a single living being (except plants) is to be seen in front of you or in the rear view mirrors and that is the moment when your body starts relaxing. Since most of the time I used to return back after a sleep at 3-4 am, the sight of expressway at times used to be horrific and you really won't want to even stop your car anywhere else other than toll plazas. Since I am chauffeur driven, it was a strict rule that we used to stop on the second toll plaza for a tea (I used to sleep in the back, or chauffy used to at times) and there used to be a car or two that was always insanely driven. I have seen Alto or Wagon Rs' doing 140 kph there and the likes of Swift / DZire etc are better not talked about.

So my opinion, the way the Innova has rear ended the truck, I doubt if the driver was awake (I am unable to find any sings of hard braking at all or even hard steer, it wouldn't have been such a straight hit if the car was steered hard at last moment). Late night drives at Yamuna expressway are normally filled with solitude and going to extreme left and rear ending a truck is out of context IMO, had the driver been awake then either it would have been a small frontal overlap or if it was an overtaking attempt, then also there is no chance of such full frontal overlap. The presence of reflectors on the road do help to identify if there is a heavy vehicle moving on the road and any driver can make this estimate even if its a black truck with no tail lamps. When I got to know that it was a chauffeur driven car, my belief that it is a case of sleeping behind the wheel gets even stronger. I have came across many (a huge number) of chauffeur driven gentlemen who are normally lest bit bothered if the chauffeur is tired or not and have a thought process that "get him a cup of tea and he is good to go". I personally used to take a special care that my chauffy is fit for drives and have at least 10% of times taken wheel also asking him to get into back and sleep.

Coming to under run bar, I have these days seen many truckers doing a formality of the same (Now it's mandatory and every truck has it) by just putting an angle there. Had there been a proper under run bar, it would have definitely helped, but yes, at the same time, if a 1.9 tonne (Car + passengers) load hits the bar at over say 120 kph, I really doubt if the under run bar could have done any good there. You guys may have seen bent or broken bars, which already prove how strong they actually are.

Looks like this 165 kms stretch is turning to be the most lethal one in India, other highways may have worse figures but taking the distance to fatality ratio, Yamuna expressway is definitely a red zone going by the speeds, number of vehicles (we can take traffic density to fatalities ratio and I can bet that Yamuna Expressway will be on the top):

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-thequint2f2017022f9853d2ab022c4dfaafe246b710fe85a42fyamuna-express-highway.jpg
548 killed in 5 years in accidents on Yamuna Expressway

Last edited by VKumar : 2nd November 2017 at 20:19.
VKumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 20:55   #24928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

Looks like this 165 kms stretch is turning to be the most lethal one in India, other highways may have worse figures but taking the distance to fatality ratio, Yamuna expressway is definitely a red zone going by the speeds, number of vehicles (we can take traffic density to fatalities ratio and I can bet that Yamuna Expressway will be on the top):
548 killed in 5 years in accidents on Yamuna Expressway
No doubt there is a lot of rash driving on the Yamuna Expressway and action needs to be taken to curb it. Speed cameras that are already present should be used in addition to patrolling. However, the chart you provided ignores the ever rising traffic volume on YE. Every year traffic has risen considerably leading to more vehicles and thus more crashes. Now-a-days the expressway is full of cars at all hours.
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:45   #24929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely horrific accident. There are no tyre marks on the road, so the driver didn't have a chance to brake and reduce speed.
Truly scary.
It is never safer to travel over 100Kmph on Indian roads no matter how inviting the roads are.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 15:00   #24930
BHPian

Hit and run in Kapra, Hyderabad.
The victim was an Assistant Sub inspector, who lost his life due to heavy bleeding and delay in getting admitted to hospital.

Last edited by Hickstead : 3rd November 2017 at 15:01.
Hickstead is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed