Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2017, 17:08   #24931
Senior - BHPian

Parents of my colleague's friend met with an accident near Yelahanka couple of days ago. A Honda City jumped the median and hit the Swift in which they were traveling.
No one was hurt as they were all belted up.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1509709100677.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 00:49   #24932
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Around 2 years back, I have came across an Aria which rear ended a truck at high speed (Even pushed the truck around 10 feet) and the outcome was nowhere as tragic as in the Innova crashes. I know that my judgement can be wrong, but the way things do turn out in most of the Innova crashes, I doubt if its structure was any good. Mark it, Innova was never a fast car (I have owned 2 of them and over 2 lac kms of ownership) that loves going fast on itself.
My 2 cents!

I feel the main reason we always see such gory crashes of Innova is because of the low arrow like design of the first generation. If you notice the the front of the Innova the height of the hood is really low at the starting and gradually increases towards the windshield. Thereby it effectively acts as a wedge per se.

In this case or the one you have quoted, both times the Innova has collided with a heavy vehicle. In both cases speeds were high. Now due to the speed when the front of the hood just collides with the body of the lorry, due to it sloping upwards at quite an angle the hood effectively just slides below the lorry(acting like a wedge). Further due to momentum by now the A-Pillar has reached and collided with the solid body of the lorry. We all know that in no car can a A-Pillar handle such force due to which it collapses and the passenger cell gets crumpled. Basically it ends up in a similar situation if a hatchback or a sedan were to collide with the lorry. But yes most of the innova's are driven extremely fast north of a ton.

Similarly if you notice in the accidents between an Innova and any other car, the front end does its job and the occupants usually walk away with no/minor bruises if they are belted.

I am in no way supporting the structure or rigidity of the Innova. But this is my judgement going by its design and having owned one for the past 8 years. I do have some faith in Toyota with respect to providing a safe shell. But when the Innova collides with a heavy vehicle I have always noticed this same pattern of the vehicle sliding over the front end and the impact is taken directly by the A pillar.

The Aria, even though has a sloping hood like any minivan, is a much taller vehicle and even the front end height is high. Hence its chances of the crumple zones doing their job is more when it collides with a heavy vehicle.

In the dimensions of both cars below you can notice that the innova's front tip is just roughly 730mm high whereas the Aria is easily 800mm+ those 7cms height make a huge difference in the outcome of an accident with a lorry, with respect to the crumple zones doing their job.

Source
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-9742.jpg
Source
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1059.jpg
Source
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-images-1.jpeg

Again this just from what I've noticed. Mods sorry if this is off-topic.

You tend to get paranoid when you see such bad outcomes in accidents when the car you own is involved. This leads you to do analysis and hence the above is what I've judged after years of seeing such pictures of Innova accidents in this thread.

Last edited by Shanksta : 4th November 2017 at 00:56.
Shanksta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 21:57   #24933
Senior - BHPian

Saw these two trucks while driving to Tirupati.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2017_1101_085521_027.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2017_1101_085812_029.jpg  

Old 5th November 2017, 14:24   #24934
Distinguished - BHPian

As received on Whatsapp. Seems like that same spot on service road where they have blocked 2 way traffic by placing boulders on Hosur road (between Hosa Road Jn and EC Junciton).

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171105wa0021.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171105wa0020.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171105wa0019.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171105wa0018.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171105wa0017.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171105wa0016.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 14:45   #24935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
As received on Whatsapp. Seems like that same spot on service road where they have blocked 2 way traffic by placing boulders on Hosur road (between Hosa Road Jn and EC Junciton).
Looks like he was at quite some speed and saw the boulders very late. Those are huge boulders and they have moved some distance from the impact.

Was there any casualty? Hope not. Feel sorry about the BMW though. That looks like a total loss. Very high frontal impact and there sure is going to be a damage on the engine.
Old 5th November 2017, 15:47   #24936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Was there any casualty? Hope not. Feel sorry about the BMW though. That looks like a total loss. Very high frontal impact and there sure is going to be a damage on the engine.
No such information on any casualties. Just the pics.

But yes, the boulder has moved quite a distance and looking at the number plates, one can expect a split second maneuver into service lane.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 15:47   #24937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
My 2 cents!

I feel the main reason we always see such gory crashes of Innova is because of the low arrow like design of the first generation. If you notice the the front of the Innova the height of the hood is really low at the starting and gradually increases towards the windshield. Thereby it effectively acts as a wedge per se.

In this case or the one you have quoted, both times the Innova has collided with a heavy vehicle. In both cases speeds were high. Now due to the speed when the front of the hood just collides with the body of the lorry, due to it sloping upwards at quite an angle the hood effectively just slides below the lorry(acting like a wedge). Further due to momentum by now the A-Pillar has reached and collided with the solid body of the lorry. We all know that in no car can a A-Pillar handle such force due to which it collapses and the passenger cell gets crumpled. Basically it ends up in a similar situation if a hatchback or a sedan were to collide with the lorry. But yes most of the innova's are driven extremely fast north of a ton.

You tend to get paranoid when you see such bad outcomes in accidents when the car you own is involved. This leads you to do analysis and hence the above is what I've judged after years of seeing such pictures of Innova accidents in this thread.
Its mainly due extremely flimsy sheet metal and thin structural frames by Toyota. 1700 kgs weight of the new Innova on such a large body structure can be possible only by reducing weight everywhere. Since the engines (shared with fortuner) weighs the same, seats and interiors are not flimsy , they cut corners on sheet metal and skeletal components. Hence the extreme deformation.
Old 5th November 2017, 20:03   #24938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
From news reports the driver and owner were returning to Agra after dropping his mother at Delhi airport. So I guess combination of high speed, sleep deprivation and hypnotising effect of endless expressway.....RIP.

Looking closely at the picture the vehicles seem to be on the left hand lanes if inference is drawn from the central kerb stones? SO wrong side overtaking gone WRONG?

Knew the gentleman from his participation in Taj Agra Rally.
RIP
Sleep deprivation is a possibility not a surety. I have travelled on Yamuna Expressway extensively , way i use to my hometown Jhansi.
Below are common observations:
1) Over speeding way above speed limit. Includes all kinds of passenger Vehicles, small cars, SUVS, luxury cars. SUVS/MUV drivers are worst.
2) Overtaking lane ie Right lane being used for cruising. Here again offenders are all category cars with small cars being worst.
3) Drivers driving at insane speeds in left most lane, which is for trucks, buses suppose to travel at 60 kmph. This has resulted in most fatal rear ending crashes not just on Yamuna expressway, but most Indian Highways
4) Driving at low beam 100 kmph+ speeds. A pitch dark expressway with most of the reflectors laid down in 2012 no longer there, this is a disaster waiting to happen. We all are aware, most Indian trucks don't have working tailights/Brake lights . with most low beams providing visibility upto 50-60 m, a car travelling at 100 kmph( 27.7 metres/ sec) will cover 42 metres in 1.5 sec reaction time before taking any preventive action. outcome can be seen in the Innova crash
5) Traffic density has increased exponentially. Attached are pictures taken 22- Oct while returning to Noida after this Diwali. waiting time at 1st toll was 1 hr.I

we keep blaming government for poor highways, but here is a well designed expressway with necessary Infrastructure-Cameras, Patrolling, Ambulance, warning boards etc, still the accident numbers are alarming. The moment we see an open road, the first reaction is to floor the accelerator mindlessly.
Unless we Indians start following "The very Basics " of driving no amount improvement in Infrastructure will decrease fatalities on our roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171022_152112010.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171022_172418959.jpg  

jaspal singh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 10:19   #24939
Team-BHP Support

Here's a glimpse of what happens when an idiot biker cuts off a car and thereafter runs away. People with no fault are caught in the battle:

Caught on my dashcam on Friday:

moralfibre is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 10:42   #24940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Here's a glimpse of what happens when an idiot biker cuts off a car and thereafter runs away. People with no fault are caught in the battle:

Look at that Verna driver and the 2 wheeler guy who bumped into the Verna. They got out of their car and tried to open the door of the car that stopped to avoid the collision! What idiots.

There is a police chowky just across the street. The Maruti driver should have just driven straight towards the university gate.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th November 2017 at 10:54. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.
freedom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 10:46   #24941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also shows the problems when people don't maintain safe distances even inside city speeds.
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 10:49   #24942
BHPian

i10 Grand crashed on the Maduravoyal bye pass towards Tambaram. Parts and pieces of the bumper are strewn all over the road 100m before it has crash landed on the left side facing opposite lane. Seems the occupants are safe, but the bumper is gone and a large dent on the bonnet. Couple of trucks are parked after the crash but none are damaged.

Unable to click any pics since it was pouring heavily. When it rains, drive sedately. Seen few cars zooming even if it pours.
Old 6th November 2017, 11:00   #24943
BHPian

Quote:

A regular occurrence in Pune. People on extreme left take a right cutting the other vehicles or vice versa. The poor swift guy is the one who will bear the brunt - had he/she hit the biker, he/she would have been in trouble and the other case is already visible in the video footage. Ideally its the elantra guy who should be paying the swift if there is any damage as per law

@Moralfibre - maybe your video footage could help the guy. The people in the elantra seem to be a local gaonwala/politico community who will definitely take a lot of money from the swift guy for no fault of his

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th November 2017 at 11:04. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.
Old 6th November 2017, 11:05   #24944
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
@Moralfibre - maybe your video footage could help the guy. The people in the elantra seem to be a local gaonwala/politico community who will definitely take a lot of money from the swift guy for no fault of his
Unfortunately, this happened on Friday and I was rushing for a meeting that was 10 mins away. Couldn't stop.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 11:19   #24945
BHPian

Quote:
Here's a glimpse of what happens when an idiot biker cuts off a car and thereafter runs away. People with no fault are caught in the battle.
The vehicle that rear ends you in such a situation as above is at fault is a rule that is not thought or brought up by even the cops. Sad to see the Elantra driver and the 2 wheeler guy harrassing him.

"Your fault for braking suddenly", is the commonly used phrase by such people.

Sir, if you had the time and space to cut across/take a U turn and come back where ever they were stopped, you could have helped out the swift driver by giving him the footage. Even though there seems to be only minor/minimal damage. It would have saved him some time, respect and money.
EDIT: Saw your reply to BHPian Centaur now.

I bet he is atleast ₹2500 poorer.

Saw the footage again it clearly shows the lack of reaction of the second Activa rider who despite having so much space bumped into the Elantra.

Last edited by Shanksta : 6th November 2017 at 11:27.
Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks