Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2017, 01:37   #24976
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

9 students killed near Bathinda:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/chandi...Xi0KiCs8I.html

I must add something here. I have travelled frequently on this Bathinda-Chandigarh road since last 7 years, mostly when it was a single road with oncoming traffic. It used to be a scary experience specially during dense fog, and I met with an accident myself. When the news of the 4 laning of this stretch broke, I was elated thinking that the accidents would now be a matter of the past since there are no oncoming vehicles to be worried about.

Now that this road is finally operational, the accidents have exponentially increased the moment fog (smog) descended!

Which brings me to a sad realization: no amount of human progress or road widening can surpass human stupidity. You provide better infrastructure, people will start to drive like maniacs. I'm beginning to wonder if smaller engines and narrow roads might in fact be better for our own good

Last edited by avisidhu : 9th November 2017 at 01:38.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 06:58   #24977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
What would you reckon the speed differential for almost entire car to go under a container carrier?

Would under run bar offer any protection if speed differential was so great?

Happened in Yamuna expressway connection Delhi Agra
Horrific to say the least. This sends shivers down the spine everytime I look at it. I came across this short video/ gif on Twitter that shows the importance of underride bars. The bars have to be at proper height and also be robust enough to prevent maximum damage. All said and done, speed does matter. Much more details are available on YouTube if you search with IIHS.

https://twitter.com/DebbieHersman/st...92881004019713
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 09:41   #24978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is beyond the comprehension of many drivers, worldwide, not just India, that in those extreme situations when you can't see much beyond the bonnet, the safe speed is walking speed. Those who do know this are regularly rear-ended by those that don't. Then... pileups. (or should that be pilesup?)
True. Any pile up is usually the result of the weakest link in the driving group.
Unfortunately, we have so many weak links in the driver community around us that risk to our lives and limbs is infinitely multiplied.

On the rare occasion that I drive on the NH4, I end up seeing a convoy of tailgating vehicles that don't seem to be travelling in a group, but still blindly trust the lead driver. I usually stay clear of such 'convoys' as I find it difficult to trust the driving sense of someone whose skills I am unaware of.

If I take a few minutes more by driving within my limits, so be it. I don't think I would achieve much by reaching my destination any faster. And if I really wanted to reach sooner (as against faster!), I would plan my departure accordingly.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 11:53   #24979
BHPian

One more Whatsapp Forward.

Although the etios slowed down considerably for the water logged area, the mini truck was driven way above speed for these kind of conditions.

Aquaplaning coupled with poor driving skill. Many times you need to pay for stupidity of people around you.

Any suggestions of evasive action on part of the etios driver?
Suryendu87 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 12:07   #24980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Etios was driving on the lane-dividing line - he must have been in the left lane. If he was alert enough, he would have seen the mini-truck surging ahead and would have slowed down and moved left. Instead, he accelerated and got in the way of out of control truck.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 12:16   #24981
BANNED

Looks like truck driver was in film industry who used to do vehicle stunts ,really stupid driver.
balechaparka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 12:16   #24982
BHPian

Quote:

Although the etios slowed down considerably for the water logged area, the mini truck was driven way above speed for these kind of conditions.

Aquaplaning coupled with poor driving skill. Many times you need to pay for stupidity of people around you.
I don't think this accident was caused by aquaplaning. Truck driver was over speeding and took evasive action of running over the maiden to avoid hitting the car from behind.

Car driver should have been cautious and watching the rear view mirrors before almost stopping in the middle of highway.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 12:20   #24983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wow, What a stunt !

I think the Car driver slowed down seeing the water logging. The truck driver tried avoiding the car and lost control. I agree that car driver should have looked in his rear view mirror while slowing down. He was the lucky one.

Last edited by srishiva : 9th November 2017 at 12:23.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 12:34   #24984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A little off topic, but I am curious to know what happens to the drivetrain when a forward moving car like this Etios suddenly turns 180 degree and starts moving backwards? What exactly breaks? I see that after the crash this car freely starts moving backwards. Was it coasting in neutral?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 12:47   #24985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Etios slows down spotting water and may be to avoid splashing it on the biker duo and the way it abruptly slows down is quite evident in the clip.

The LCV with such load on its back would not have expected this, tried its best to avoid a collision and ended up climbing the median and then the sequence of events.

Forget the Etios slowing down for water or the biker, I have seen morons slow down even more aggressively upon spotting a fuel station of an eatery.

All in all, each one of them here including the trucker was lucky to have possibly escaped with no injuries at all and that Etios too seems to have suffered limited damage, thanks to the water that it could glide over the water without offering much resistance to that speeding truck.
Old 9th November 2017, 12:50   #24986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Definitely not aquaplaning. The mini truck was tad too fast to brake behind the car. He very quickly realised this and looks like calmly averted an accident of a larger scale.

The car should have been on one of the lanes, preferably the left.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th November 2017 at 13:00.
Old 9th November 2017, 12:52   #24987
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Accident avert as Loco driver chase electric loco in a bike and stops it!

Quote:
KALABURAGI: A driverless electric railway engine ran upto 13km from Wadi station in Kalaburagi on Wednesday before the panicked loco pilot rode after it and brought it around. In a dramatic 'chase' lasting 20 minutes, the driver followed the engine on a bike and caught up with it around a kilometre ahead of the next station, Nalwar.

Source
Lucky escape!
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 12:56   #24988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Accident avert as Loco driver chase electric loco in a bike and stops it!
Reminds me of this and definitely lucky as you say which otherwise would have proved extremely damaging:

paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 14:36   #24989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balechaparka View Post
Looks like truck driver was in film industry who used to do vehicle stunts ,really stupid driver.
and very likely as a cop even pulling off the PIT maneuver towards the end, that he himself went off road doing so can be discounted
Old 9th November 2017, 14:57   #24990
BHPian

Accidents in Delhi Smog.

Found a couple of links. Scary Picture

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/928153156759912448

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/928194844794568704

Most Viewed