Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2017, 14:34   #25111
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
But in a scenario where your car is T boned, front airbags etc are not in play and the only thing that can save you is structural integrity and seatbelts.
Add curtain airbags to that. Without the curtain airbags, Tbone hits can be fatal even at low speeds.
Regardless, the kind of hit that we saw for the Ertiga, I don't think, any vehicle could have saved the passenger on the impact side.

Last edited by amalji : 26th November 2017 at 14:37.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 17:01   #25112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Got rear ended by an indica today. I was making a right turn when he tried to sneak in with no space and so slowed but hit the side of my rear bumper.
Unfortunately looks like the damage is more than just the bumper. I returned home and couldn't open the boot. I noticed some misalignment. Managed to wiggle it open but now can't close it. The boot and the bottom of the boot is bent. Looks like he was going faster than I thought. Thankfully my wife, 7 year old son and 3 month old girl were all belted and in appropriate car seats. So no injury.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171126_153646.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171126_153408.jpg
Looks like I have to claim insurance.
I couldn't close the door and have left it parked with a couple of stones over the boot.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 18:40   #25113
BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Not sure how we can figure who jumped the divider. Also, it doesn't take insane speeds to cause this damage. Both vehicles at 70 kph (example) on a divided road is not insane, but when they collide, it's a 140 kph impact.

From the images it is evident that the Scorpio had a major frontal impact and the Ertiga suffered a major side impact. Hence, looks like it's Ertiga that has jumped the divider. Regarding speeds, agree that each vehicle at 70 kph can cause significant damage. However, on this stretch of highway most of the cars cruise above 100kph. Unfortunately, tyre burst incidents are increasing off late. With good highways and fast cars, cruising speeds are increasing. We need to relook at our tyre care / replacing practices.

Last edited by badri : 26th November 2017 at 18:58.
badri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 18:48   #25114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Both vehicles at 70 kph (example) on a divided road is not insane, but when they collide, it's a 140 kph impact.
It will be a 140 kmph relative speed of impact in this case, however there will be transfer of momentum between the cars and each car will face (70×mass of the other car). Assuming both cars are equally built, the lighter car will be at serious disadvantage and its occupants will face the maximum brunt from such a collision.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 21:47   #25115
BHPian

Spotted a truck that rear ended another truck on NICE at around 630 PM. Looked like a left lane overtaking gone terribly wrong. As usual there was a lot of commotion and everyone stopping to take pictures. Damage to the truck on the driver side looked very heavy. Did not stop to get more details.

Sunday evenings are probably one of the worst times to drive on NICE in Bangalore. Everyone is returning from some place of the other and some have little or no regard for others. After giving indicator going side by side, the expectation is that everyone in the other lane will brake and make way for their cars to cut across.
Old 26th November 2017, 22:33   #25116
BHPian

I relocated to Germany eight months ago and have been driving here from day number one (initially on the Indian license and now with the German one).
I have been drawing parallels between the Indian and German driver psychology and driving patterns (you can call it a mini study if you will) and here are some pointers to that:

1. A person's upbringing plays an equal role (along with stringent law) in enforcing rules on the road.
2. A two plus years old kid (including my son) has to wear a helmet when he takes his cycle out on the road. They start early to follow rules and they stick to it.
3. Germany is a land of rules and everything is governed. More importantly, erring drivers are compulsorily penalised irrespective of their political clout.
4. Once caught, bribe cannot get you out. You have to go through the law.
5. Police have more powers and are proud of their job. They have the right equipments and vehicles.
6. Unmarked police cars are everywhere (especially on autobahn) to catch the erring driver.
7. People are generally relaxed. They wait for others to pull-in/out and are accommodating. I have never experienced this in India with constant honking and even cuss words.
8. Women are considered equal to men and are treated the same.
9. Cars are equipped with more safety features (passive protection). Most German cars come with side/rear airbags with ABS/ESC and traction control.
10. Jumping RED light or hitting cyclists/pedestrians is the worst crime you can commit. It becomes messy and expensive quickly (even with a lawyer insurance).
11. Bad drivers have a hill to climb for getting good insurance deals.
12. Getting a German license is not easy and has a through theoretical and 45 minute practical test. It is also expensive to get one (a fresh license costs 1500 euros and a conversion costs 500 euros)

To be honest, we have the same rules (mostly) but we need better ways to enforce them. Also, police should become independent of politics with a decent take home salary. Finally, we need to educate kids and instigate rules following as early as possible.
Viv3k is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 22:42   #25117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Spotted a truck that rear ended another truck on NICE at around 630 PM. Looked like a left lane overtaking gone terribly wrong. As usual there was a lot of commotion and everyone stopping to take pictures. Damage to the truck on the driver side looked very heavy. Did not stop to get more details.
Is this near the BG road junction towards Hosur road? If so, this has happened some time early morning today. Yes, the driver side was heavily damaged and maybe it could be a rear-ending on a parked truck.

I also saw a badly damaged two-wheeler, the rider couldn't handle the curve at the BG road exit(towards hosur road) and crashed in to the barriers.
Old 27th November 2017, 10:04   #25118
BHPian

Another situation of high speed driving gone wrong, on the Chennarayapatna -> Bellur Cross highway (NH75), about 11PM last night. The driver has apparently lost control over his Honda Civic, with the car jumping over the median, and into the truck lay-bye area, which was thankfully empty. No harm to lives, but the car engulfed into flames within about 20 mins of the incident. The driver owes one to all the Good Samaritans that helped pull him out of the car, with some even trying to pour water over the hood to douse the flames (initially, but it was of no help). Sad to see the car helplessly perish
PS: Had only read about vehicles engulfed in flames in short time, and now know what it is like after witnessing this incident.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171126_231200.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171126_231237.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171126_230948.jpg

Last edited by dkamath : 27th November 2017 at 10:06.
dkamath is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 10:47   #25119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Pics received on Whatsapp.
Quite a sad one since an entire family of 5 lost their lives. One of the kids who passed away in the accident is my daughter's classmate in Grade 2 from Orchids International School. I am told that the Ertigas tire burst and that's how the accident happened.

May their souls rest in peace.
Old 27th November 2017, 13:23   #25120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
12. Getting a German license is not easy and has a through theoretical and 45 minute practical test. It is also expensive to get one (a fresh license costs 1500 euros and a conversion costs 500 euros).
Germany is a state where every facet of life is disciplined whether it is recycling or road rules. One good thing, once you get a German Driver License it is valid indefinitely.

I did not know this when I got mine. I got mine in 1995 and when I was visiting about 5-6 years ago I took it along thinking it could be used as a document of identity. When I went to rent a car I showed them my International Driver License and my Indian License and accidently also showed them my OLD German License hoping the rental agency would think "ok this guy has driven here before". I was surprised when the lady at the agency told me that the License is still valid!
navin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 19:08   #25121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Irrespective of the lane, you wont get much time to react if a vehicle jumps lanes and approaches your vehicle.
Wrong here.
You get that split second difference to swerve either right or ditch over the shoulder, my personal experience when I ditched, lucky we had a vegetable plantation. Methi fields on Pune Nagar road just after Ranjangaon on way to Pune.
If it was the fast lane it sure would have been a head on collision.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 20:27   #25122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I am doing this for a couple of years now.
Not expecting revenue share Or free dashcam.
I use screen shots from my dashcam and upload proofs with time, date and area details, offending vehicle details.
I later check to see that the status changed to 'Case booked'.
No provision to follow up any further. So, I am doing my bit and expecting the system to follow up.
Sorry for the late reply but glad to see many of us are already doing what we can. Well the only reason I brought money into this picture is coz since we all are preoccupied with our jobs & lives, unless there is a strong motivation to contribute such a system wouldn't take off. & if I'm asked to implement it I won't provide free dashcams either. Just like the phone that we use for Uber is our own property, the driver will have to pay for the dashcam. Kudos to you for contributing as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
There has been this portal with upload facility for bangalore for the same purpose. Earlier they used to respond to photos uploaded through twitter. Have had encroachments reported and removed by hawkers on 27th Main in HSR using the process. Now their is a portal called Public Eye.

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...icEyePost.aspx

Photos or Screen Shots from footage can be uploaded here for action to be taken and tracked.
That's great! Never knew about that. In Cochin we do have a WhatsApp number for the police but many say it doesn't work & I haven't checked it either.

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 27th November 2017 at 20:31.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 20:59   #25123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I am told that the Ertigas tire burst and that's how the accident happened.
I really doubt, and that is one of the easiest of the root cause speculated in such accidents. And by the way, none in the Ertiga looks to have survived to tell the tale.

The tyre doesn't look to be at its end of life to burst, or are there any other factors that can lead to the burst of a relatively good tyre?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tyre.jpg
Old 27th November 2017, 21:59   #25124
BHPian

Quote:
I really doubt, and that is one of the easiest of the root cause speculated in such accidents.
I remembered about a similar accident which happened near Ramanagara on Bangalore - Mysore highway last month:

http://www.cartoq.com/4-mbbs-student...an-hits-truck/

The cause of that accident was also speculated as due to tyre burst.
Old 27th November 2017, 23:47   #25125
BHPian

Quote:
The tyre doesn't look to be at its end of life to burst, or are there any other factors that can lead to the burst of a relatively good tyre?
Correct. A couple of days back and at around 24k km mark after 1.5 years I had to change all tyres of my car. Case in point was only 1 Puncture, that I repaired in Jayanagar at a supposedly "certified" tyre shop. Anyway, the tyre deflated on NICE before I could reach home. The car has TPM that started throwing up lot of alerts. Checked the tyre with Goodyear chaps in Kengeri, it was ruined due to shoddy repair. Decided to change all 4, 5th one was a Donut.

In this situation, with probably a bit more shoddy repair with a tube inside, anything is possible.

Most Viewed