Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 13:39   #25201
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I thanked all the gods, stars what not today and thanked the bus driver too. No damage to bike and as for me, I have a torn jeans plus a big cut on my leg to show.
Thank God you’re alright, sir.
The sneeze problem scared the living daylights out of me as well while I was driving on the DND Expressway once. I immediately pulled over to the shoulder & took a break, lest risk my life for a mere sneeze.
On a lighter note, you have one of those ripped jeans that are currently trending.
AShubrah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 09:23   #25202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
This is insane. It's one of the reasons why I would suggest buying a used nano or Alto instead of a two wheeler. They are just not safe. Very lucky to escape unscathed
That's a priceless thought, a used Alto vs a motorbike!!! Talking about biking pleasures would be a moot point then I guess.

I wonder what should we do now for our kids when their sneeze moment strikes (on such roads/anywhere) and they fall while bicycling! And then I wonder what would happen if I'm on the highway following other vehicles and I sneeze in my Alto (perhaps a few times) or even in a lighter Nano, and an object appears or the vehicle ahead brakes hard? Or in the neighborhood when I'm about to enter a round about while negotiating our traffic (who are so close that they are almost on the car), with people crossing without looking at my car and more importantly not knowing that I'm about to sneeze.

That was in a lighter vein to put across my point that disturbances can happen and it's up to a rider/driver's instincts, luck and traffic situation if accident (fall in this case) happens or not. Cheers!
Old 7th December 2017, 17:44   #25203
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
That's a priceless thought, a used Alto vs a motorbike!!! Talking about biking pleasures would be a moot point then I guess.

I wonder what should we do now for our kids when their sneeze moment strikes (on such roads/anywhere) and they fall while bicycling! And then I wonder what would happen if I'm on the highway following other vehicles and I sneeze in my Alto (perhaps a few times) or even in a lighter Nano, and an object appears or the vehicle ahead brakes hard? Or in the neighborhood when I'm about to enter a round about while negotiating our traffic (who are so close that they are almost on the car), with people crossing without looking at my car and more importantly not knowing that I'm about to sneeze.

That was in a lighter vein to put across my point that disturbances can happen and it's up to a rider/driver's instincts, luck and traffic situation if accident (fall in this case) happens or not. Cheers!
What logic, man?
1.Kids cycle in societies or inner roads or parks.
2.You'll be safer in a car than in a bike, as simple as that.
3.Biking pleasure @ 50k? C'mon

My comparison is to a basic level of cheap bikes/scooty's
In such a case, a used car makes a hell lotta more sense if safety is of prime concern, now if you want kitna deti hai, then sure 2 wheelers are more economical.
Just different viewpoints, no need to get offended.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 21:04   #25204
Senior - BHPian

I was browsing YouTube, and found this video on crash tests performed on trailer underride protection systems. These tests start after the first few of car crash tests.

Word of warning: If you have a weak stomach or heart, please don't watch this.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 7th December 2017 at 21:06. Reason: Added info
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 21:59   #25205
BHPian

Another example of reckless driving by Private City Bus Drivers in Mangaluru.
One bus passenger dead. Twenty people injured - including bus passengers, the bus and truck drivers, a pedestrian and occupants of a car who happened to me at the wrong place at the wrong time.

cogWheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 22:14   #25206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Clear case of violating the right of way at the roundabout. Bus had no business to enter the roundabout when the truck had already entered.

Either the bus driver knew about right of way but was being reckless. Or he was totally uneducated on this rule.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 23:07   #25207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Clear case of violating the right of way at the roundabout. Bus had no business to enter the roundabout when the truck had already entered.

Either the bus driver knew about right of way but was being reckless. Or he was totally uneducated on this rule.
If you find that more than even one percent of drivers in India who know the correct right-of-way rule at a circle, then I will eat my hat. Going by the way everyone behaves at circles (or roundabouts), I don't think anyone even knows. Even in this crash, the truck had no business entering the roundabout when the car was already on it.

I learnt of the "give way to traffic from the right" rule from my grandfather. RTO published booklets did not have it when I passed my driving test in 1991.

Go figure!
KiloAlpha is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 23:34   #25208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
If you find that more than even one percent of drivers in India who know the correct right-of-way rule at a circle, then I will eat my hat. Going by the way everyone behaves at circles (or roundabouts), I don't think anyone even knows.
So true! Even simply going around a corner or bend in the road isn't accomplished by most. They will take the racing line and cut lanes willy nilly. While it is fine if no one behind you, when you are in traffic it is simply absurd and causes unnecessary jams. Just imagine, a simple turn or bend in the road can cause excess traffic, not a long signal, but a bend in the road? So if that is the state of affairs, navigating a roundabout must be done with utmost care atleast here in India.

Quote:
I learnt of the "give way to traffic from the right" rule from my grandfather. RTO published booklets did not have it when I passed my driving test in 1991.
I did not even know that it wasn't a given and that such a thing needed to be 'learnt', but then Bangalore traffic always proves me wrong
Old 8th December 2017, 01:33   #25209
BHPian

Quote:
I was browsing YouTube, and found this video on crash tests performed on trailer underride protection systems. These tests start after the first few of car crash tests.

Word of warning: If you have a weak stomach or heart, please don't watch this.

https://Youtu.be/c09nCferUXE
Saw this video long back. Send chills down the spine when thinking about trucks and trailers on indian roads. Large percent of them don't even have underrun bars. Most of those which have these bars are too high, not wide enough or not strong enough.

Still dreaming of the day when have and enforce proper rules on vehicle conditions in India. I regularly see big trucks in bangalore roads during night which don't even have working rear break /red lights and reflectors, let alone underrun bars. They shouldn't even be allowed on roads.
Old 8th December 2017, 08:30   #25210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
What logic, man?
1.Kids cycle in societies or inner roads or parks.
2.You'll be safer in a car than in a bike, as simple as that.
3.Biking pleasure @ 50k? C'mon

My comparison is to a basic level of cheap bikes/scooty's
In such a case, a used car makes a hell lotta more sense if safety is of prime concern, now if you want kitna deti hai, then sure 2 wheelers are more economical.
Just different viewpoints, no need to get offended.
Yes, of course we are safer in a car than on a bike but that doesn't mean we stop riding motor bikes or cycles.

Kids or us riding cycles over sand/gravel or in this situation would most likely result in similar outcome at low speeds, no.? And, yes sir, biking pleasure on "cheap" (as you say so) used Dukes/REs/others @50k is exhilarating, one just needs to know riding the steed. Strongly recommended Cheers!

Last edited by wangdu : 8th December 2017 at 08:37. Reason: typo
Old 8th December 2017, 09:13   #25211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I kissed the turf when riding because of my mistake and lucky that I was not run over.------ No damage to bike and as for me, I have a torn jeans plus a big cut on my leg to show.
Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I was wearing Pro biker riding gloves and my TBHP jacket ( I know its not a a proper riding gear but still ) and it helped me in not having scratches on my left arm. It didn't even have a single tear on it. Good quality material Rehaan!

Gloves has a small tear on the palm area but it again took the brunt of my fall.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-gloves.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
One bus passenger dead. Twenty people injured - including bus passengers, the bus and truck drivers, a pedestrian and occupants of a car who happened to me at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Oh man very unfortunate accident. Both the bus and the truck are at high speeds in the round-about. People in the car are very unfortunate but also lucky to escape with injuries.

One reason why I think round-about's wont work in India(for that matter any rule as well) is because of too many vehicles and too few roads plus everyone on the road on a hurry and fragile egos .
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 10:11   #25212
BHPian

Just came across this article :
Man driving on wrong side of road dies as container falls on his car

Funny part : "Cops told TOI that while the unidentified container driver is absconding, the vehicle has been seized."
Bigger vehicle at fault while the car was driving on the wrong side

Last edited by vidyanand : 8th December 2017 at 10:14.
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 10:11   #25213
BHPian

Quote:
..Gloves has a small tear on the palm area but it again took the brunt of my fall...
is that my glove ? I had exactly same cut on my left pro-biker' glove when I had a fall recently. These gloves are cost effective, versatile & do a decent job for minor incidents. And yeah, at the minimum gloves and jacket in addition to helmet always helps.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 10:17   #25214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
is that my glove ? I had exactly same cut on my left pro-biker' glove when I had a fall recently. These gloves are cost effective, versatile & do a decent job for minor incidents. And yeah, at the minimum gloves and jacket in addition to helmet always helps.
Haha. How I wish no one would have any cuts on their gloves leave aside similar/exact ones.

Yeah I do have a leather jacket but I was not feeling like wearing it on that day.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 11:32   #25215
BHPian

An interesting article. Helps in understanding the evolution of safety devices in vehicles.

Quote:
In the past fifty years, the car crash death rate has dropped by nearly 80 percent in the United States. And one of the reasons for that drop has to do with the “accident report forms” that police officers fill out when they respond to a wreck. Officers use these forms to document the weather conditions, to draw a diagram of the accident, and to identify the collision’s “primary cause.”
But veers off topic towards the end while discussing US car safety and gun safety.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episo...-behind-wheel/
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks