Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2017, 09:18   #25246
BHPian

Three persons died when a bus overturned into the Mayyazhi river in Peringathoor in Kannur today by 6 in the morning. The deceased include the cleaner of the bus and a woman. The identity of the third person is yet to be ascertained. The injured driver was rescued and hospitalized.

The bus overturned into the river by breaking the handrail of Peringathoor bridge. The bus was coming from Bengaluru to Thalassery. There were only two passengers in the bus at the time of the accident. Fire force and the native continue with the rescue operations

Source:

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/mobil...51816?pq=1.310
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1513050444842.jpg  

Old 12th December 2017, 09:35   #25247
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

while we debate and discuss the Baleno vs Dio accident, here is a picture of a similar accident that happened a few hours ago, near Bharathnagar, west Bangalore. Was sent to me by a friend who passed by the spot a few minutes after it happened.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20171212-9.30.39-am.jpeg

Last edited by sandsun7 : 12th December 2017 at 09:36.
sandsun7 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 14:18   #25248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Yes, the reliability of a Japanese/Korean vehicle cannot be questioned upon, but not by sacrificing on build quality. It’s a very important aspect of a car, which can not only can save your life in the future, but also protect your car from minor dings in everyday driving. For example, our month old Innova Crysta already has a couple of tiny dings on the doors, thanks to the insanely flimsy sheet metal used.
I am NOT saying that people should stop buying cars like these, but it is the duty of the manufacturer to step up their game in this aspect & provide better built cars to the consumer. Producing cheap cars & selling a tonne of them only makes you a good company, but selling well built cars that a consumer will appreciate & thank their stars for one day, makes you a much better company.
In the above mentioned post, one can see why the Fiat Linea, in EVERY ownership thread, is called built like a tank.
But then, one can’t forget that owning a Fiat Linea comes with its own share of niggles that a Maruti Swift owner will never go through in their ownership period.
Yeah. Though in my case the Linea has been trouble free for the past 8 years and even the service has been good until now. But I feel the experience may deteriorate as Fiat is slowly getting absorbed into Jeep.
I had a Polo too and that car had so many niggles at later part of its life, that I became friends with many of the mechanics at this FNG. When it started scaring me with a new warning on the cluster every two weeks I decided to part with it. However when I look at the over all picture, given an opportunity I would still go for a Polo(not the 1.2 TDI I had) with the newer better engines or still consider Punto despite Fiats weak future. I would feel cheated if I bought a Baleno for the same price of a Polo/Punto. Yes the Baleno may be more reliable than the European counterparts but I would trade in reliability for safety, use the car till my patience snaps & sell it off rather than live with a flimsily built car. With the Europeans reliability may be a hit or a miss as stated above.

I simply can't stand the idea that a big corporate like Maruti Suzuki considers lives of their customers as irrelevant. Well they are making enough profits too unlike many others. Same about Renaults smaller airbag. How much do they even save on that? May be a thousand. That's the value Renault puts for your life when you spend 15 lakhs of your hard earned money on their product.

The only reason why I was asking to refrain buying them was because there's no other way we can make them learn & have a trust on our own car that it would provide a minimum level of safety when things go wrong. Remember how Maruti reduced prices of S-cross due to poor demand? What if Maruti would provide better built balenos if we start demanding them? As mentioned earlier if Maruti can sort out the built, baleno is a brilliant product in my eyes. Now though I feel they are trading safety of customers for thick profits. And another trouble is that when Maruti tried giving us a better built product through Scross, it struggled. So who's to blame? In the end its we ourselves for poor choices. It's a vicious circle that has to be broken by informed buyers/govt involvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
while we debate and discuss the Baleno vs Dio accident, here is a picture of a similar accident that happened a few hours ago, near Bharathnagar, west Bangalore. Was sent to me by a friend who passed by the spot a few minutes after it happened.

Attachment 1705163
Similar accidents with some differences too. Seeing the bumper broken down into pieces, shattered & dislodged headlamps as well as the wipers flung on the windscreen (without rain) I would assume this was a high speed impact compared to the Baleno(there's significant damage on the bike too- broken shocks/ even the tank has moved up). Even if it's not, clearly seen is how the impact beam on the Polo has taken the hit and restricted the bike from caving in unlike the Baleno which looks like "hot knife through butter". I may be very wrong on the speed aspect though. Hope the riders survived here.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 17:59   #25249
BHPian

3 of a family from Mumbai perish in an accident. The car apparently hit a truck from behind. Video shows the underrun bar lying on the road and seems to have broken on impact.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62024985.cms
Old 12th December 2017, 19:12   #25250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
.... The car apparently hit a truck from behind. Video shows the underrun bar lying on the road and seems to have broken on impact.
Rear ending a truck is one scenario which unfortunately always ends in fatalities, no matter how well the car is built.

Most under-run protection bars look like flimsy after additions just to meet the compliance requirements. They easily break away on impact resulting in direct impact/intrusion of the trucks high chassis into the passenger compartment. No car is designed to withstand a direct impact of a solid truck chassis on its pillars, it totally by-passes all the passive safety mechanisms of the car.

With our roads getting better by the day, the overall bumper/chassis height of trucks and heavy vehicles can be brought down to better match with a typical car's front to prevent under-running of the smaller vehicle, like it is the case in many countries.

or, at a minimum, the under-run protection should be solidly built to withstand such hits without breaking away and its rigidity should be stringently enforced.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 12th December 2017 at 19:16.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 19:58   #25251
BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post

Attachment 1705163

I passed by this accident site this morning, apparently the bike rider and pillion didn't survive. Polo's cabin was intact and airbags had deployed.

Last edited by spiler : 12th December 2017 at 20:00.
Old 13th December 2017, 00:00   #25252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiler View Post
I passed by this accident site this morning, apparently the bike rider and pillion didn't survive. Polo's cabin was intact and airbags had deployed.
Good build quality, but not good enough crumple zones?
Old 13th December 2017, 06:50   #25253
Senior - BHPian

That's bad! Looks like the biker was riding on the wrong side. I see so many taking this risk on ORR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiler View Post
apparently the bike rider and pillion didn't survive.
Old 13th December 2017, 11:00   #25254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
3 of a family from Mumbai perish in an accident. The car apparently hit a truck from behind. Video shows the underrun bar lying on the road and seems to have broken on impact.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62024985.cms
More on HT
Sigh!, yet another fatal accident which could have been avoided.
The family drove down from Mumbai to Satara over 8 hours I reckon and then a visit to native would have left them fairly tired. But then there was "elephant in the room", the 20yr old guy in a fit of youth bravado, throwing caution to the wind who would have taken upon himself to take the family back to Mumbai starting from Satara after dark. Given that the accident happened ~4AM, they most likely would have left Satara at around midnight. Four hours into the journey, the young guy must have been stomping the gas pedal to cover the distance and/or might have dozed off a bit. And then the truck drivers as always without regard to any, would have parked the truck on road side without any hazards or were pathetically slow.

A tired inexperienced boy, unlit roads, truck parked on road proved to be a death trap for the four. RIP.

It seems the police has booked case against the boy (driver), no action against the truck driver!. Another file will be buried in the heap of such cases. Hope the 'sarkar' wakes up and pulls up the truckers to help avoid such terrible instances in future?
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 13:23   #25255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post

A tired inexperienced boy, unlit roads, truck parked on road proved to be a death trap for the four. RIP.

It seems the police has booked case against the boy (driver), no action against the truck driver!.

As per news in Maharashtra times, the truck was traveling, after the car hit from behind and got entangled, it got dragged along with the truck for another 100 meters or so.

https://maharashtratimes.indiatimes....w/62027778.cms

Also, http://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pun...w/62028294.cms which says "rammed into a moving truck from behind"

Last edited by anandpadhye : 13th December 2017 at 13:25.
Old 13th December 2017, 14:43   #25256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
As per news in Maharashtra times, the truck was traveling, after the car hit from behind and got entangled, it got dragged along with the truck for another 100 meters or so.
Is this the section after the tunnel where on a downward slope, 3 lanes merge into 2?
Though there are rumbler strips at 2 different places in this area, visibility is poor. Especially after the bright lights inside the tunnel, it would be extremely difficult to spot a vehicle with poor rear visibility. Along with driver fatigue, it seems multiple parameters contributed to the unfortunate incident.

Last edited by selfdrive : 13th December 2017 at 14:49.
Old 13th December 2017, 15:48   #25257
Distinguished - BHPian

A road range incident reported in Rushlane, article says that video has resurfaced, so maybe posted before.

AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 16:31   #25258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
A road range incident reported in Rushlane, article says that video has resurfaced, so maybe posted before.
How do we know if it was a road rage or the car guy was changing lanes? What ever it is, scary, to say the least. The bike rider was real lucky to not have come under any car/bus/truck after falling down.
Old 13th December 2017, 16:43   #25259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
How do we know if it was a road rage or the car guy was changing lanes? What ever it is, scary, to say the least. The bike rider was real lucky to not have come under any car/bus/truck after falling down.
i20 had quite lot of road space to change lanes, and it does not even seem that the bike was in his blind spot. That said you are right, very scary, and biker was real lucky to be not run over.

PS: On a lighter note, The bike keeps running like a boss, like nothing ever happened.

Last edited by AtheK : 13th December 2017 at 17:00.
Old 13th December 2017, 20:27   #25260
BHPian

Saw an accident near metro construction site before ITPB, Whitefield today noon at around 12.30 PM. Was not able to capture as I was on a bike.

On this stretch(Big Bazar signal to Hope farm junction), the middle of road is blocked for metro construction and traffic flows as usual on both sides. A crane was lifting heavy structure(rods arranged for pillar). Attaching a representational image below taken from Google. The load hit a container truck and pierced through the container like a cardboard box

This is a sample image to show the pillar structure(Iron rods).
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg

When I reached the spot, the crane operator was trying to move the load sideways to take it out of the container. The container had multiple holes. Just behind the container truck was a BMTC bus, I wonder about fatalities if the bus had arrived at the spot a minute early.

Most Viewed