Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2017, 09:48   #25306
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Had happened on 29th November 2013. My first [& pray to God to be it the last] road kill. No I don't admit to it proudly, but got to say you can't do much.

A completely black goat was sitting in the middle of the road (bang in the middle, between the white strips) and I was doing around 100, climbing an over bridge (was returning from Siliguri) which had curve. Spotted it (maybe) 30-40 meters ago. Had no option...It was around 12:30 am.

The damage Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0129.jpg

Maybe with a higher GC SUV, it would have gone inside or the one with lifts or after market suspension. Don't know if it would be a good or bad thing.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 10:05   #25307
BHPian

One of my traveling companions’ fav past time is to count the number of dead animals, mostly dogs, whenever we take the NH4. It always runs into double digits.
Twice, I’ve had a run-in with animals.. one it was a largish cat that jumped out from some hedges at high speed. I was at 100kmph, I think.. just took my foot off the gas, dont think that helped. It was all over in a split second. Felt a thump from ahead and one from below the car. Looked in the rear view for end results.. was surprised to see the road empty. One of its nine lives, I suppose. Later when I checked for damages.. there wasn’t any. Just some greyish hair stuck to the bottom of the front grill.
Another trip, a crow literally flew backwards into my grill. It crossed and then half reversed.. didn’t have any time to even react. Don’t think that bugger survived.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:19   #25308
Senior - BHPian

Today morning on my way to office saw a white Honda CRV which has banged the wall of Lalbagh Botanical Garden. This was near a slight curve and the car had rammed the wall at almost 90 degrees to the flow of traffic. Front was completely gone and the left tire had sheared from the axle. No one was near the car except couple of policeman so I guess it had happened a while before I passed that route.

Could not take a pic as I was riding but attaching a pic taken from google for reference.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-honda_crv_2013_front2.jpg
Old 20th December 2017, 11:30   #25309
Senior - BHPian

Not an accident , but a nearly fatal one it could have been.

Wonder why the honda city moved to the right without any reason

Source: youtube.com
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 11:36   #25310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post

Source: Youtube.com
Mostly the biker's fault. There was a blind spot at the turn, where the machinery was parked. Plus, the reason why the city moved is:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.png
mayankk is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 12:08   #25311
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened yesterday on my way to office. An Innova belonging to a hotel had knocked a biker down and he was lying unconscious. I am not sure what happened, but it looked like the Innova driver had hit the silencer of the bike after going too close to him and that led him to lose control and fall down. I went to check what happened by when the rider had regained consciousness and the bike was partly stuck under the bumper of the innova.

When I asked the driver what happened he tried to escape by saying that the bike skid and fell down. On questioning why his car was on the bike, he didnt respond. We checked the rider if he could be moved and told the cab driver to take him to a hospital.

Skip to 00:45 in the video

And needless to say, he was wearing a useless helmet which had fallen off elsewhere and had cracked too. His bike was old and had suffered severe damage.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st December 2017 at 14:14. Reason: Adding note to skip the initial part of the video. Do try to trim clips (possible in youtube) in future. Thanks!
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 12:19   #25312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I think the angle we (dashcam) are seeing the road and the angle at which the driver is seeing the road are slightly different and may contribute to the late spotting (or no spotting) of the dog.
I was blinded by the divider and considering the size of the dog, it was impossible to detect the running dog, who appeared out of the blue and picked up the speed well before the impact.
The whole act from spotting to collision was over in 1 second. My speed definitely did not help changing the outcome and should have slowed down after seeing dogs on the left side of the accident spot. An error of judgement from my side.

Avoiding animals on highway may not always be possible as they sometime appear suddenly and we cannot correctly anticipating what those animals’ behavior will be when they are startled by an oncoming speeding vehicle.

This is my second accident involving Animal. While traveling to Goa this year in June, just after crossing Mollem Check post, there is a moderate incline.

I was driving at about 80 kms/h speed when suddenly after the climb I faced a situation with 7 to 8 cows where standing in the middle of the road.
With no vehicles trailing, managed avoiding head on collision with the herd but couldn't stop hitting a cow resulting in damage to the left side bumper, headlight, left fender. The cow just got up and moved on with its life. The Car was motor-able and hence drove back to Bangalore after holidays.

I have driven close to 11 years with 60% of it on highways and not met with any circumstances that resulted in any accidents. This year met twice and on both instances animals where involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170620_123206.jpg  

Last edited by Samurai : 21st December 2017 at 10:02. Reason: Collision, not collusion.
shenoytech is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th December 2017, 13:00   #25313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
At intersections on highways I always reduce my speed from 90 km/h to 60km/h and I start using the horn liberally. I don't mind slowing down @ intersection and let other cars overtake me. I regain my speed in no time. Also I believe in honking liberally whenever I spot a suspicious cut in divider where bikers can cross and @ minor/major intersections/village limits.

I have noticed that animals and other careless pedestrians do respond to the sound of honk and they become more cautious most of the time. Slowing down and honking can neutralize such a dangerous situation to some extent in my view.
This is a good tip. On highways I try to look at signs and follow it. If there is sign of accident zone or intersection etc. I slow down.
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 13:33   #25314
BHPian

Quote:

Source: Youtube.com
The RE guy was very lucky not to collide with the Bulldozer/ machinery or even the Honda City. The only fault that the Honda City guy made was he didn't look at the ORVM (or thought that the Bullet might abandon the overtake) while changing lanes. The RE guy on the other hand could have easily abandoned his overtaking maneuver when he saw the Honda City changing lanes. Instead he kept honking & wanted to pass the Honda City with whatever opening he had until the Bulldozer/ machinery appeared in front of him.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:16   #25315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
^^ Talking about dog hit (and speeds), this had happened 2 months back at around 40-60 KMPH if I can recollect.
0.14 secs on that video is where about 80% of drivers go wrong. One's quick reflex there would probably make him/her to quickly swerve away from the inevitable object. It is at this point where vehicles go out of control at high speeds and flips/bangs on to things nearby.

Props to your sudden reaction, gave in your best effort on the brakes trying to slow down without causing any danger to you or the people around.

Almost everyone (including me, maybe) feel chary about literally standing on the brakes when such a situation pops out.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th December 2017 at 16:05. Reason: Quote trimmed - video link removed
E = mc˛ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:21   #25316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc˛ View Post
Props to your sudden reaction, gave in your best effort on the brakes trying to slow down without causing any danger to you or the people around.

Almost everyone (including me, maybe) feel chary about literally standing on the brakes when such a situation pops out.
Honestly, I didn't really brake that heavily to be able to avoid mainly because I didn't want the Etios Cab which I just overtook to rear end me for that. If there was none behind, slamming brakes may have helped to a greater extent here.
Old 20th December 2017, 14:48   #25317
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, I didn't really brake that heavily to be able to avoid mainly because I didn't want the Etios Cab which I just overtook to rear end me for that. If there was none behind, slamming brakes may have helped to a greater extent here.
By ‘best effort on brakes’ I meant in a way that you took a move which avoided the Etios from rear ending you as well as trying to dodge the dog.

Rest assured, slamming brakes there would have had your car rear ended. But I’d rather favour banging on the brakes if ever I come across such a situation when I’m on considerable high speeds.

Last edited by E = mc˛ : 20th December 2017 at 14:52.
E = mc˛ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 17:37   #25318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
While returning from Hubli yesterday and after crossing Davangere, this happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
You aimed for the dog running across.
RULE: Animals dont change directions suddenly unlike humans.
Speeds are high for this section and little could have been done to save the car or the dog.

I have had the exact similar experience on this exact same section of the road. Luckily I did not have anything behind me, and a dog jumped off the median just as a passing truck sprayed water on it. Since this was 2008 and the road was still under construction, I could come to nearly a stop within a second thus saving the dog but the bill came to 1 Lakh plus in repairs for the fusion due to damaged radiator, condenser and fog lamps. I managed to drive the car back to Bangalore.

Second incident was at a much lower speed in 2011 when a dog popped up suddenly from under a parked truck. Damage to the bumper and fog lamp. There was nothing behind be and I could slow down enough to save the dog. This was on Bangalore - Anantapur section on my way to Hyderabad.

Both cases the dog walked away.

Third hit was a in the night approaching Salem from Thrissur when a cat decided to dart across a busy 6 lane highway. Lost the plastic part under the front bumper and I am sure the cat came under the next car on my left. Cats are faster than dogs and mostly dark in colour making matters worse. Good thing is they are smaller.

Quote:
^^ Talking about dog hit (and speeds), this had happened 2 months back at around 40-60 KMPH if I can recollect.
Sorry to see the damage. You did not have a chance.

1. If you did not overtake and were behind the Etios, they could have braked and it could have been a much worse accident rear ending that car.
2. If you bailed when the dogs first come into view and maintained your lane for some time, you had some chance. But being a two way road, that does not seem to be a feasible idea.

Quote:
Both drivers should be given an award for being the worst at overtaking.

1. Sedan driver can definitely see the bulldozer and yet decides to pass the biker.
2. Bullet rider decides to overtake when he has no idea of what is in front of him on the left or the right.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 20:09   #25319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
One of my traveling companions’ fav past time is to count the number of dead animals, mostly dogs, whenever we take the NH4. It always runs into double digits.
Agree. From Bangalore, there are certain stretches where you have many highway joints and hence a lot of (dead) dogs, namely:
1. AH 47 (Bangalore to Hubli, between Sira and Dharwad)
2. AH 43 (Bangalore to Hyderabad, especially after Anantpur)
3. SH 75 (Bangalore to Tirupati, especially Kolar to Mulbagal stretch)

I had a near fatal collision with a dog in Kothakota, 120 km from Hyderabad in June 2015 while 'riding' to Hyderabad from Bangalore. I was doing 90-95 kmph when a couple of dogs just appeared from the bushes in the median on the road. It's easy to say that one must not swerve and brake instead, but impulse makes one do the opposite! Plus, desi motorcycle brakes aren't 30% as powerful/effective as a car's, add to that its a non ABS Karizma we're talking about. I braked to whatever speed I could in a split second and I even remember downshifting to 3rd to swerve when out of the blue a larger dog followed the first and my right footrest hit it.
The rest is a painful history, a dead dog, a damaged but rideable bike with few parts missing, a concussed head (those present said I took 7-8 flips on the road and hit the divider at least twice before resting), a few fractures and dislocations, unusable riding gear and a little hurt ego.
A good helmet (SOL Metal Man 2) and full riding gear saved my life. I recall and replay whatever I remember almost every time I hit the highway. I know where I went wrong and I feel guilty having killed the dog but I still feel I couldn't have saved it with a 100% certainty. :(

It has not necessarily made me a better rider/driver, but a scared one. But I guess that's fine!

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 20th December 2017 at 20:10.
Divya Sharan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 23:06   #25320
Distinguished - BHPian

A baleno with "L" board crashed on to an electric pole on the wrong side of a narrow road. Airbags deployed and heavy frontal damage as well. Probably a newbie who pressed the accelerator pedal instead of brakes or an overtaking gone terribly wrong.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks