Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:40   #25381
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

NCAP looks at frontal and side impact, not rear impact if i am correct. That D'zire took an impact at an excessive high speed
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:19   #25382
BHPian

It seems to me that the dzire took an impact possibly when it was either stationery or travelling at a much lower speed than the innova.

However, I would have to say, if the car was an ameo or aspire it may have held better and for that I feel one of the factors coming into place is the simple physics of mass.

At 965kg the dzire is almost half the weight of an innova crysta weighing 1810kgs. I know my post is going to be ridiculed by many on high-tech trickery like crumple zones and continuous sheet metal but the simple point that is missed in that argument is no matter how well the dzire is designed I dont think it can deflect the effect of being lighter than the competition by over 100kgs because I am sure even ford and volkswagen have all means to give their cars as good crumple zones and sheet metal as suzuki.

I own a swift of the earlier generation and am not too proud about its safety credentials and the current gen dzire felt more flimsy to me than my car when I took a test drive.

For those still not convinced, 'its your choice buddy, its not my job to convince you, but I pray you realise it before bearing a loss that cant be compensated'
The AG 6167 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 21:34   #25383
BHPian

Saw this in Delhi near GTB Nagar. Probably a swerving manoeuvre or loss of control.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-snapchat1713940584.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2018, 22:41   #25384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Without any details of what happened to the vehicles?

No doubt. But not because of pictures circulated, without actual history, on Whatsapp.
+1 to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Yep, but seeing the condition of the other vehicle involved, its quite shocking. The Innova has it's cabin intact totally, while the rear portion of the Dzire is missing. Details available or not, this surely is something to be concerned about, IMO.

Agreed, there maybe similar pictures of other cars, but huge possibility that it wasn't a 4 wheeler that would have deformed it to such state.
Do we even know if both the cars were involved in the same accident?? May be they were just kept beside each other. I am doubting because even the front crash member of the Crysta is relatively unscathed, whereas the hood is ripped off.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 3rd January 2018 at 22:44.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:14   #25385
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this video on Whatsapp today.

Have no idea of exactly what happened there. But the Tuscon mangled like that gives a chill down the spine.
It's near the MH-KA border. From the visuals it looks like It's before Belgaum, before Suvarna soudha. There is a very small upward climbing section and I guess that's the location.

Horrible. Engine lying far away, entire car including the roof crumpled like a waste paper ball ...must have doing really high speeds.

The guy taking the video says "Ye Swift gaadi hain Swift" all while showing the big Hyundai logo
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:47   #25386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It's near the MH-KA border. From the visuals it looks like It's before Belgaum, before Suvarna soudha. There is a very small upward climbing section and I guess that's the location.
To me this one looks more from Vantamuri Ghats than the incline near Soudha mainly because all 3 lanes have the most fantastic cement section in a uniform manner which only existed earlier here (3+3 lanes) while the 6 lane between Dharwad and Belgaum has a surface where you can clearly identify that the 3rd lane has been added for expansion later. Also, the border is 95 kms away from Belgaum.

While rest of the section is just 4 lane till the border and beyond, it is just the Vantamuri ghat and Tawandi ghat (both after Belgaum and before Kolhapur) which are 6 lane.

I may be wrong though the moment I had seen the video and road surface it reminded me of nothing else but Vantamuri ghat due to that distinct concrete surface in the visuals.

One in front of Suvarna Soudha has a curve, descending towards Belgaum and ascending towards Hubli but the concrete is not so great when you compare that to visuals in the video that somehow tells me it's got to be Vantamuri even due to the surroundings (small hill with no buildings) and the super quality of concrete surface.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-earth_postcard_1515002890.jpg

This (above) is exactly the curve where this may have happened!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-earth_postcard_1515002989.jpg

While this is right in front of Soudha that also has a Toyota show room and other buildings facing it which doesn't seem to be the case with the video.

Also, the Vantamuri ghat has really nasty curve exactly where the super fast straight ends towards Kolhapur and if you are approaching from Kolhapur and heading towards Belgaum, it's again the same curve that is tricky.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd January 2018 at 23:56.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 01:23   #25387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Constructive criticism is good, but to say death awaits everywhere on Kerala's roads is too much...

Please look at the below graphic for period 2004 to 2013.
Link ::http://indpaedia.com/ind/index.php/R...e-wise_figures
+1

Though this gives an idea of the state of affairs, what is also important is to look at the population density of the state, count of vehicles on the roads, total length of roads in the state, and then compare the number of accidents - to have a more meaningful comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
When New Year revellers decide to celebrate driving
Simplest way to put it- Final score:
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 04:04   #25388
Distinguished - BHPian

My local newspaper had a report of a very gruesome accident. I won't post the details, but instead take the opportunity of a lighter moment. The vehicle involved was said to be a Maruti Indica. Now, there's a car not to buy! And a great indicator of the reliability of media news reports.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 06:08   #25389
Senior - BHPian

The BETL, claims another life - a two wheeler rider thrown off the elevated highway again

Looks like there was a parked vehicle in the elevated highway which the two wheeler hit and was in turn hit by the following vehicle.

BTP twitter post: https://twitter.com/dcptreastbcp/sta...21026836512768

News report and gruesome images:
http://publictv.in/bike-rider-hits-c...mpo-traveller/

I can't read Kannada; so can't translate the report.
Old 4th January 2018, 06:34   #25390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
The BETL, claims another life - a two wheeler rider thrown off the elevated highway again

Looks like there was a parked vehicle in the elevated highway which the two wheeler hit and was in turn hit by the following vehicle.

BTP twitter post: https://twitter.com/dcptreastbcp/sta...21026836512768

News report and gruesome images:
http://publictv.in/bike-rider-hits-c...mpo-traveller/

How absurd is that Twitter question from BTP!!

Anyway, the Kannada report says that a red Wagon-R was stationary because the diesel ran dry in it's tank (I didn't know Maruti Suzuki made a Diesel Wagon R at all). The two Wheeler hit it from behind and fell down (not off the elevated section but just fell down off his scooter). The Force Traveller (TT as it is fondly called) coming from behind, hit this activa and the rider died on the spot.

And then BTP asks "are long narrow flyovers safe for 2 wheelers?"

The Wagon R didn't have enough fuel for 10kms and still he took the flyover
He stopped without blinkers probably...Forget safety triangle
The Traveller couldn't maintain safe distance. Also the rider to a certain extent would've been guilty of this mistake.
But then BTP blames the flyover construction to be unsafe.

Sorry for the rider though. He paid the ultimate price
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 06:38   #25391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
A WagonR stationary on the Elevated flyover because it's 'Diesel' got over is hit by a 'speeding' 2 wheeler from behind and in turn another vehicle (Force Traveller) hit the 2 wheeler, thus resulting in the instant death of the rider.

However, I notice both the 2 wheeler and the rider both on the elevated corridor itself unlike another recent one where the rider was thrown off the flyover onto the ground.

That said, Elevated road is a dangerous trap,more for the slow moving 2 wheelers. Absence of shoulders compels stranded vehicles to be parked right there and a simple lane change at even 60 KMPH by the 2 wheeler invites dangers due to the tailing traffic that consists of ruffian cabbies and company buses most of the times during the day who care 2 hoots about safe driving.

Edit - Noticed Hemant has already translated

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th January 2018 at 06:40.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 08:54   #25392
Distinguished - BHPian

Bengaluru: Two techies die after car rams into lorry on NICE road

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...d-1743489.html

Quote:
According to police sources, Prashant was driving the car, a black Indica. While trying to overtake a lorry from the left, they crashed into another lorry from behind. An eyewitness claims that the car was being driven very fast, and added that the spot where the accident occurred was on a straight stretch of the road.
Old 4th January 2018, 09:06   #25393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A WagonR stationary on the Elevated flyover because it's 'Diesel' got over is hit by a 'speeding' 2 wheeler from behind and in turn another vehicle (Force Traveller) hit the 2 wheeler, thus resulting in the instant death of the rider.

That said, Elevated road is a dangerous trap,more for the slow moving 2 wheelers. Absence of shoulders compels stranded vehicles to be parked right there and a simple lane change at even 60 KMPH by the 2 wheeler invites dangers due to the tailing traffic that consists of ruffian cabbies and company buses most of the times during the day who care 2 hoots about safe driving.
Sheer lack of knowledge and negligence is erupting out of this incident. I can see the following anomalies:
  • Elevated road was meant for four wheelers only, but two wheelers demanded for access and it was granted. There is no shoulder, and only two lanes, which is dangerous for a two wheeler. Maybe the expressway was designed only keeping four wheelers in mind - Still the lack of a shoulder is a big miss.
  • The WagonR driver could not even estimate how much fuel was left in the car. Who on earth takes the car to the BETL without knowing if it can reach the next petrol bunk? Gross negligence and stupidity. Alright, keep that apart. What stops these people from diverting traffic from a distance? Just sit in car, call everyone you know else leave the car as it is and get a lift. Who cares about others And leaving the bonnet open, what do they expect? Fuel will condense into the engine?
  • Late Activa rider I presume did not have a helmet, or had not strapped it tight. Not to mention he would have been easily speeding. After 40-60kmph, the drum brakes on these scooters take their own time to brake, and swerving to the other lane is again not possible.
  • Then enters our cabbie, whose actions are needless to predict. Since we dont know if he was tailing this activa or was on the right side and the activa rider fell in his path, I will not blame him.
End of the day, there will be a huge blame game, trouble for the cabbie and car driver and nothing else will happen. Even after repeated accidents, the two wheelers still demand to be let to use the expressway. Two places I will never go on my two wheeler in Bangalore are NICE road and the BETL. Totally unsafe for two wheelers.

I had such a near miss incident on the Airport expressway when riding my Dio. While I was on the left most lane, near Jakkur airstrip a microplane was taking off which caught my eye. As I glanced towards it, another car in front of me had completely stopped to see this microplane. I almost rear ended it in the same way, but I was able to brake in time. Never did I expect a car to have stopped completely. But I had enough space to swerve too since the road is wider and has a little bit of shoulder space too to squeeze in if at all there is no other go.

Last edited by audioholic : 4th January 2018 at 09:09.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 09:07   #25394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From the visuals it looks like It's before Belgaum, before Suvarna soudha. There is a very small upward climbing section and I guess that's the location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
To me this one looks more from Vantamuri Ghats than the incline near Soudha
Definitely not in front of the Suvarna Soudha. I don't know the name of the Ghats though but this is where I felt it might have happened.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg

If you are also talking about the same section, then we are on the same page. If you are talking about some other section, then I won't disagree with you knowing how well you know these roads

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 4th January 2018 at 09:08.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 09:32   #25395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are also talking about the same section, then we are on the same page. If you are talking about some other section, then I won't disagree with you knowing how well you know these roads
I can vouch for Parag's analysis. This looks like beyond Belgaum towards Kolhapur. Tawandi ghat has more curves rather than a straight like this. So most likely its the Vantamuri ghat. The straight has a right hander at the end of the incline which is more likely to cause an accident. I can't imagine what caused the accident right in the middle of the straight?! Possible scenario : Dog runs across suddenly, driver at high speeds, swerves, car rolls over and tosses up high in the air spinning rapidly, churning out all internals in the process. The downward slope, flat surface, six lanes and straight road is very tempting for cars to speed up.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks