Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2018, 17:22   #25681
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
New version of the story here
This version of the victim being hit by some other vehicle and then the bus picking up the body of the victim under it seems more likely. As the victim might have been lying dead on the road, driver might have run over it resulting in the 'thud' sound and body entangling in undercarriage.
Old 5th February 2018, 18:23   #25682
BHPian

Witnessed an accident and narrowly missed being a part of it myself. People who travel on this ORR flyover - just after Ecospace(going towards Silk board), would remember that it has an 'expansion joint' that is a bit bumpy. The cabbie in front stood hard on the brakes on the joint coming to a complete halt from a speed of around 40! causing a 3 car pileup. Everything was over in milliseconds.

After the hit, looked into rear view mirror and saw a white cab free rolling toward me after colliding with the red car in front. I kept my car moving until i could see the car come to a stop.
Couldn't see anyone seriously hurt. At least all were moving and cursing had started with no visible blood. Moved on, instead of jamming another lane of the super busy road in the near peak hour traffic.

Last edited by TrailBlazer007 : 5th February 2018 at 18:33.
TrailBlazer007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 19:56   #25683
Distinguished - BHPian

Completely astounding why the cabbie just braked like that! The expansion joint was pretty 'normal' by BLR ORR standards.

Totally his fault although the following car will be blamed for the actual accident.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 20:45   #25684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The expansion joint was pretty 'normal' by BLR ORR standards.
This one is worse than normal. I once took it at around 50kmph and since then slow down to 10 or so when I get here. Regulars on this flyover do it too, but all gradually.
Old 5th February 2018, 22:41   #25685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
The cabbie in front stood hard on the brakes on the joint coming to a complete halt from a speed of around 40! causing a 3 car pileup. Everything was over in milliseconds.
Quote:
Completely astounding why the cabbie just braked like that! The expansion joint was pretty 'normal' by BLR ORR standards.

Totally his fault although the following car will be blamed for the actual accident.
No, no, no! So many times it has been said in this thread. Such a rear-end collision is always the fault of the following driver. Driving too close, not paying attention, whatever...

However unexpected, or even downright stupid, the guy in front may be, if we hit him, it is our fault. This is a very clear example. Sure, I'd shout and swear at the guy. Idiot! But I hope I wouldn't hit him. Because: see above.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 23:21   #25686
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
However unexpected, or even downright stupid, the guy in front may be, if we hit him, it is our fault. This is a very clear example. Sure, I'd shout and swear at the guy. Idiot! But I hope I wouldn't hit him. Because: see above.
Out on the road, in peak bangalore traffic, if we maintain proper distance with the vehicle in front, we get nowhere. Even buses squeeze in, forget two wheelers. If we insist on it, with each vehicle that comes into your path, like I did around 5 yrs ago, the right foot is forever going to sit on the brake. Just not practical in bangalore city, plus its an open invitation to be bullied even by the guys in the next lane, who have nothing to do with our lane moving forward. Bangalore has gone to the dogs, only prayers will keep some moron from banging into you on your commute.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 06:33   #25687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completely astounding why the cabbie just braked like that!
I believe he was going at slower speeds in higher gear and as soon as the car jumped over that joint, it jerked and stopped abruptly.

I have seen cabbies doing 40-50kmph in 5th gear
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 06:45   #25688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I believe he was going at slower speeds in higher gear and as soon as the car jumped over that joint, it jerked and stopped abruptly.

This explains the sudden stalling. Spot on. Cabbies always tend to think that they are consuming less fuel if they are in a higher gear. Little do they realise that by lugging the engine is being counter productive.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 06:52   #25689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I think you're correct. More an engine stalling case than braking. Unless he stepped on the brake instead of the accelerator :-)
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 08:05   #25690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you miss the brake lights? He definitely braked to stop.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 08:44   #25691
BHPian

New Twist to the KSTRC bus dragging a man for 70 KMs.

Apparently the bus driver knew he ran over a man at Channapatna, but dint stop to check as he was scared and drove all the way to Bangalore. Police analysed the CCTV installed at the depot and the bus driver was caught checking the under carriage of the bus as soon as the bus reached the depot

https://epaper.timesgroup.com/Olive/ODN/TimesOfIndia/#
chandrda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 09:13   #25692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
New Twist to the KSTRC bus dragging a man for 70 KMs.

Apparently the bus driver knew he ran over a man at Channapatna, but dint stop to check as he was scared and drove all the way to Bangalore. Police analysed the CCTV installed at the depot and the bus driver was caught checking the under carriage of the bus as soon as the bus reached the depot

https://epaper.timesgroup.com/Olive/ODN/TimesOfIndia/#
Correct link to the article: Police identify spot where bus killed man

Aah, the times have changed. Now we have CCTV cameras all around the city. Wonder what the driver thought when he acted innocent. How on earth could someone have not seen a pedestrian coming across the bus.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 10:06   #25693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Aah, the times have changed. Now we have CCTV cameras all around the city. Wonder what the driver thought when he acted innocent. How on earth could someone have not seen a pedestrian coming across the bus.
What if he had stopped somewhere on the highway or at one of the roadside hotels and cleaned up his bus?
That would be the criminal aspect. Now it depends on whether he really saw and knew that he had hit a person; and not an animal.
Old 6th February 2018, 10:29   #25694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, no, no! So many times it has been said in this thread. Such a rear-end collision is always the fault of the following driver. Driving too close, not paying attention, whatever...

This got me googling. You seem to be right. There could be circumstances when both parties are found guilty e.g. non functioning brake lights, but a rear ending car is almost always held 'partly negligent 'in the eyes of law. Good knowledge.
Old 6th February 2018, 10:52   #25695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Witnessed an accident
If the timestamp on your video is right, I passed this spot in about half an hour. The expansion joint is quite familiar for those who take this road every day, but can catch someone new to the place unawares. One must always be aware of the surroundings.

I try to avoid taking it in the middle lane where it's the most bumpy, and always make it a point to slow down well in advance in order to avoid getting rear-ended.

Quote:
...There could be circumstances when both parties are found guilty e.g. non functioning brake lights, but a rear ending car is almost always held 'partly negligent 'in the eyes of law.
Another example is when the vehicle in front cuts into the lane without warning - happens quite often. In Bangalore, some of the BMTC buses and most of the KaSRTC silver & red buses that take the Hosur road have this habbit of pulling out of a bus stop almost at a right angle and without indicators and checking their mirrors.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed