Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 12:19   #25711
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Modi's wife Jashodaben injured in an accident in Chittorgarh, Rajasthan.

Looks like a head on nasty collision.

https://twitter.com/timesofindia/sta...17528054534144
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 13:52   #25712
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Fatal accident on BETL last night where a PEDESTRIAN was fatally hit by an unknown car. Not sure how the BTP got to know its by a car.
How the heck a pedestrian ended up on BETL?

As far as I remember BETL was off limit for pedestrians and non-motorized vehicles. Again, why someone climbs the stiff ramp to walk on a 35 KM elevated road without pedestrian zone is something beyond my understanding.
Might be possible suicide case misinterpreted as accident.
Old 7th February 2018, 14:01   #25713
BHPian

More news about the unfortunate deaths mentioned (1) here (2) here & (3) here

Bengaluru car fire : Faulty vehicle killed mon and son? Police book Kalyani Motors

Quote:
The Whitefield Police have now booked Kalyani Motors - an authorised service centre for Maruti Suzuki, for the fatal car fire which killed a Bengaluru-based woman and her 4-year-old son on February 2.

On Tuesday, the police booked Kalyani Motors under section 304(A) (causing death by negligence) under the Indian Penal Code.

According to Assistant Commissioner of Police, Whitefield, Sudam B Naik, police suspect that 30-year-old Neha and her son Param died due to electrical and mechanical faults in the car.
Read the entire story here.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th February 2018 at 15:48. Reason: Please always quote your source. Avoid copy-pasting an entire story/article from an external website.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 15:13   #25714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

The road was built for both.
Thanks.

I do agree that road is built for both. However under the circumstances(Unlit road, near static speed, absence of any kind of reflective sticker) makes it a strict NO for such (mis)adventure. When we pay ~1.5-2 rupees per KM as toll for driving on such highways, it should in return provide some driving pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
As much as my sympathy lay with the villages which now have a highway running through them or near them, they cannot remain static on how they need to navigate such roads at night. For me, this was just irresponsible way of travelling on a NH at night as far as those bullock carts are concerned.
+1

They do have right to use the road but under favorable circumstances, i.e. during daylight or if used at night, with appropriate pre-cautions. But again, such road manners is too much to expect in today's circumstances.
Old 7th February 2018, 16:12   #25715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Why were these unfortunate people standing on the road or so close to the road that they were caught by this door? If you are near a road, you should move at least a few feet away from the traffic. I would be scared to have buses hurtling past me just three feet away.
Roads have mutated into areas less used for pure transit and more for all purpose mass usage. When pavements are occupied by vegetable sellers and road shoulders by vehicles parked even 2 lines deep, where will people walk?

This is even before we start talking of public processions, people waiting for buses, or as may be the case here; just stopping by the side of the road because you met someone.
Old 7th February 2018, 16:28   #25716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post

Bengaluru car fire : Faulty vehicle killed mon and son? Police book Kalyani Motors

Why is Kalyani Motors booked here ? What do they have to do with all this specially since the service was done 7 months back ?
Old 7th February 2018, 17:51   #25717
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
The bullock cart driver must be thinking don't these car wallahs realize what risk their speeds pose to us! The road was built for both.
The bullock cart driver understands vision ? If he does not think
"i must atleast be visible to others, I myself cant see ahead due to blinding headlights of opposite traffic, may be I should light a lantern and hang it on my cart"
, then he does not deserve to be on the road. It is harsh, but it is the truth.
I have no issues with carts on left lane in daytime. Some years ago, in KL during festival season, mahouts used to walk elephants from one temple to another overnight. Caused many accidents. Thankfully, now its illegal to walk elephants on tar roads.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 18:38   #25718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More news about the unfortunate deaths mentioned (

Don't understand how a clutch and brake shoe change 7 month is 'suspected' to be a cause of fire trigger; anyone else understood?
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 19:05   #25719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That is the most bizarre and most stupid set of conclusions drawn. How on earth can the service center be accused of death due to negligence when the service was done seven months back? Anything could have been done to the car after that. Its not like the car caught fire just after a few hours/days after service. Not sure what is running in the heads of Bengaluru police these days. Next comes the service supervisor, who shot his own foot by telling that the electrical fault can cause the doors not to unlock. Doesnt he know that the lock can be opened manually also? And that too in the most simplest way. And for the first time, I have heard someone saying that the fire can cause the fuse to blow and hence the systems in the car failing. There is a long time duration between the heat melting a wire, causing a short and blowing the fuse. By then the occupants could have easily got out of the car. This incident is yet another one showing the lack of awareness, competence and most importantly common sense.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 20:41   #25720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
It is an unlit highway and hence, pretty everyone on that road at that hour needs to be prepared for the circumstance. Leave aside a speed of 90, a person doing 40 on that road too can end up with a challenging situation with such a bullock cart. As much as my sympathy lay with the villages which now have a highway running through them or near them, they cannot remain static on how they need to navigate such roads at night. For me, this was just irresponsible way of travelling on a NH at night as far as those bullock carts are concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Thanks.

I do agree that road is built for both. However under the circumstances(Unlit road, near static speed, absence of any kind of reflective sticker) makes it a strict NO for such (mis)adventure.

They do have right to use the road but under favorable circumstances, i.e. during daylight or if used at night, with appropriate pre-cautions. But again, such road manners is too much to expect in today's circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
The bullock cart driver understands vision ? If he does not think
"i must atleast be visible to others, I myself cant see ahead due to blinding headlights of opposite traffic, may be I should light a lantern and hang it on my cart"
, then he does not deserve to be on the road. It is harsh, but it is the truth.
I have no issues with carts on left lane in daytime.
Gentlemen, contrarian opinions - the joys of a discussion thread. We car owners often have a strong inbuilt assumption that we are the primary users of the public road. Our vehicles may be powerful and big and faster than a bullock cart or hand cart or cyclist but our rights are not one millimeter more than the other users on humbler vehicles. Please read my earlier post #25709 where I emphasize an aspect we car owners rarely think of. That is that just the way we find the bullock cart driver simply not understanding our challenges when driving at night at say 90 kmph we too, despite our education, do not understand the challenges and risks the cart driver copes with - cars whizzing past, trucks driven by drunk drivers, pitch darkness, exposed to the weather through cold, sun and rain and so on. The way we expect him (an uneducated man) to understand the risk of double blocking a road we also need to get beyond our blinkers and understand him and what he as an animal vehicle driver may simply not be able to comprehend risks he has never experienced. If we expect him not to double block he expects us not to be zipping at 90 on a pitch dark road which we know has mixed and reasonably busy traffic. We may think he should instinctively be able to understand. But if he has never driven a car at night he wont. He believes you have lights and powerful brakes and believes you ought to be using them. I rest my case.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 7th February 2018 at 20:44.
V.Narayan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 20:57   #25721
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen, contrarian opinions - the joys of a discussion thread. We car owners often have a strong inbuilt assumption that we are the primary users of the public road. Our vehicles may be powerful and big and faster than a bullock cart or hand cart or cyclist but our rights are not one millimeter more than the other users on humbler vehicles. Please read my earlier post #25709 where I emphasize an aspect we car owners rarely think of. That is that just the way we find the bullock cart driver simply not understanding our challenges when driving at night at say 90 kmph we too, despite our education, do not understand the challenges and risks the cart driver copes with - cars whizzing past, trucks driven by drunk drivers, pitch darkness, exposed to the weather through cold, sun and rain and so on. The way we expect him (an uneducated man) to understand the risk of double blocking a road we also need to get beyond our blinkers and understand him and what he as an animal vehicle driver may simply not be able to comprehend risks he has never experienced. If we expect him not to double block he expects us not to be zipping at 90 on a pitch dark road which we know has mixed and reasonably busy traffic. We may think he should instinctively be able to understand. But if he has never driven a car at night he wont. He believes you have lights and powerful brakes and believes you ought to be using them. I rest my case.
Education teaches us to be humble and considerate. Traffic sense and road etiquette teaches us to drive defensively within all odds to make the roads a safer place. The video was an attempt to highlight surprises that can pop up on a highway and the takeaway should be to never let our guard down. We cannot control what else occupies the road, so it's much better to keep ourselves in control.

As correctly pointed out by you, we members derive pleasure in anything related to automobiles, be it a healthy discussion on the net or a long drive out on the open roads.
Suryendu87 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 21:01   #25722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Education teaches us to be humble and considerate. Traffic sense and road etiquette teaches us to drive defensively within all odds to make the roads a safer place. The video was an attempt to highlight surprises that can pop up on a highway and the takeaway should be to never let our guard down. We cannot control what else occupies the road, so it's much better to keep ourselves in control.
You say it beautifully. In much of our society, economy and means of production we are a nation where the 21st century, the 20th century and the 19th century co-exist and jostle for physical, political, social and economic space.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 23:33   #25723
BHPian

Regarding the bullock cart debate, i have only this to say:
Being a regular highway rider with 1.1 lakhs kilometers on the odometer, all i can say is, there is nothing wrong in a slow moving vehicle occupying the left most lane but what is wrong is, occupying both the lanes and thereby blocking the entire road and bringing the traffic to a standstill. This is wrong and unsafe.
n_naik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 00:11   #25724
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
We may think he should instinctively be able to understand. But if he has never driven a car at night he wont. He believes you have lights and powerful brakes and believes you ought to be using them. I rest my case.
While I agree with your perspective, I cannot fathom the man who correctly knows he has to be on the leftmost lane, but yet goes about his business without a single reflector or lantern on his cart. When a vehicle zooms past him and lights up the road ahead, is he able to see his mate's bullock cart that is going 50 metres ahead of him ? It does not need thinking, instinct should make him aware of the danger he is in. Lets agree to disagree. Cheers.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 00:31   #25725
Distinguished - BHPian

I find myself agreeing with most of the points of view on this, but for sheer uncommon sense, this nails it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
... ... there is nothing wrong in a slow moving vehicle occupying the left most lane but what is wrong is, occupying both the lanes and thereby blocking the entire road and bringing the traffic to a standstill. This is wrong and unsafe.

Added to that, although I consider that one should be able to stop within the distance one can see, I think it is utterly irresponsible to be on any road, especially an unlit one, without making any effort at all to be lit. Even a pedestrian out there, hugging the side of the road, should have a torch!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed