Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 09:32   #25771
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terrorist View Post
Drifting scorpio kills one and injured another.
Ouch! The relative speed of the collision is HUGE! Really stupid driving by all concerned.

I have a Scorpio too. I think this one is from late 2015 or early 2016. It has a black applique in the rear.

The image is not too clear - however, it looks like the Scorpio is undamaged!

Sad to see loss of precious life. Also, sad to see the car driving off.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 09:41   #25772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I don't know why people are still screaming "crumple zone". I strongly suggest people Google up "crumple zone" to see actually which parts are termed as crumple zones. I didn't name them myself. I see them everyday as it is part of my daily work schedule, kind of. Everyone has their own view point and so in this case the discussion is seeming futile. Others might carry on, I'm done.
No point in getting this defensive or worked up, we are all her to have a healthy discussion and to be proven wrong when required. I've worked in the automobile line as well and i think the Creta did rather well!! Some points to contemplate -

1) Speed - The video I feel does not accurately portrait the speed of the Creta. The Piaggio get shoved quite a distance forward. At least 10 feet, maybe?

2) Crumple Zone - From the little i know of automotive engg. Crumple Zones start from the Bumper, move onto Crush Cans or Crush Bars, and then into the area highlighted by you. But the areas highlighted by you not only constitute bars! Wheel detachments, bonnet deformation, etc all act as means of dissipating energy. Whilst they are not 'Crumple Zone's per say, they certainly aid in passenger protection.

I don't think the Crumple zone which you refer to has come into play here. The crush bar/can and its auxiliaries, have taken the majority of the impact and has protected everything behind the radiator.

Again, I am happy to be proven wrong!
Samir Taheer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 09:41   #25773

I personally witnessed this horrific accident yesterday on my daily commute. It took place at the entrance of Udaipur Airport, which is located on NH76. To make an entry into the airport, one have make a dangerous crossing onto the right lane. This is a blackspot for accidents and I have personally seen a lot of accidents and deaths here. The Innova was a local taxi carrying two passengers who were bound to be on a flight to Delhi. The driver crossed onto the opposite lane without proper judgement of speed of the oncoming vehicles, probable he was being hurried by the passengers since they were late for their flight. When he was about to cross the left lane he realized that the truck was too close and he reversed the vehicle in a hurry, only to be hit by the speeding Scorpio and again pushed in front of the truck. The Innova rolled over multiple times and stopped after hitting divider barrier. Fortunately some Airport Fire Brigade officers were present there and they immediately called upon all possible equipment including cutters they had to pull out the occupants immediately. Rear passenger and driver died on the spot and front passenger was still breathing when pulled out and he was air lifted to Delhi later.

This involved multiple vehicles including the Innova, Scorpio, Truck and a WagonR which rear ended the Scorpio and a poor milk man in his two wheeler who fell down after hitting the WagonR. The wagonR and Scorpio occupants sustained some injuries, though not major. Worst part is no one in all three vehicles were buckled up.

It was really terrifying to witness such an accident at a place where I have to go through everyday. In-spite of being a major exit point in the highway, lot of accidents do occur here and the proposed work on a flyover here, as a part of UCHIT highway project is not even started. Sharing a few images and a video I got from friends since I couldn't click one, considering the situation.

Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0002.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0003.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0004.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0006.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0008.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0009.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0010.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0011.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0012.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0015.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180220wa0016.jpg  

Last edited by flyingraghu : 21st February 2018 at 10:08. Reason: change in fact
flyingraghu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 12:50   #25774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Never thought I will post anything here which will be about someone I know

A dear friend and a colleague at my work place had been on a road trip to Rajasthan on his Harley Davidson Street Rod, while coming back something happened near Bharuch in Gujarat, the facts are unknown as the cops and people found him lying on the left side of the road with the bike fallen down and a big dent on the fuel tank.

They called the ambulance and the doctor declared him dead as soon as he got to him when the ambulance arrived. All his stuff was there except the Go Pro on the helmet which was missing, sounds very fishy. From the pictures the cop sent, there was blood on his nose, everything else seemed fine.

They performed his last rites today, first at the church and then to the burial ground. I was totally numb ever since I heard this as I was following his trip and he had shared a post on Instagram just some hours back before this incident happened. They were 4 in the family, his sister, mother, father and him.

He was such a keen rider that every weekend he used to head to the highway somewhere or the other, in a years time he had rode the bike for around 15-17 thousand km.

I wanted to buy a KTM 390 just for kicks when I got my appraisals and PLI in April-May, but looking at how people around you become, specially the closest ones like your parents when something untoward like this happens, I have decided to never touch a bike in my life, drive the car with utmost care and let the fun part during a drive take a backseat while enjoying whatever I can south of 100 kmph.

Today has left a very big impact on my mind, a jolt almost!
So an update on this

I went on my first highway trip after my friends accident, it was for a family marriage to Ahmadabad, I stuck to 90-100 for 99.99% of the trip, sometimes a short burst while overtaking someone took me till 120 but after which I kept it 90-100 for the entire trip, felt super good and most of all less tiring. The other advantage of this turned out to be amazing mileage I got 22.50 for the entire trip with AC on 100% of the times and 5 people and luggage in the car from Baroda to Ahmadabad and back while from Mumbai to Ahmadabad it was just mom dad and me. I filled her up at Daman while going for the trip and filled her back up while coming back, she ran 810 kilometres between the fills and this is the highest I have run the Swift Diesel between fills, the speed checks helped the cause. I plan to continue with this forever now!

Went to the spot where my friend had passed away, that section was super big with 4 lanes wide, a factory on the left side of the spot and not one bit desolate. Put some flowers there which I had got only for him as that was the last place he was alive at.
humyum is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 13:22   #25775
BHPian

A major road accident happened on Hyderabad - Bangalore highway near Mahaboob nagar. A verito cab collided with another car (Looks like Nissan Micra) by jumping the divider on the high way. 9 out of 11 people lost their lives and 2 severely Injured.

@Mods: Pics are very disturbing. Please remove the link, if it is not acceptable.

http://www.andhrajyothy.com/pages/ph...GllryID=192500

Last edited by Hickstead : 21st February 2018 at 13:34.
Hickstead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 15:22   #25776
BHPian

Accident on Gujarat highway-Mahindra Bolero pick-up truck, driven at high speed, hits a family of three on a commuter motorcycle.
Luckily all three are said to have survived with minor injuries.

Source:- cartoq.com

I think fleeing from the accident scene has pretty much become the norm for car drivers in the country, especially after hitting a 2-wheeler or pedestrian.

In this case, as well as the previous case of the drifting Scorpio, I don't understand why the drivers are so heartless that they have to flee from the scene without even caring to check what happened to the victims, or offering assistance to hospitalize them.

Are they so senseless that in today's age with CCTV cameras everywhere, it is only a matter of time before they are traced?
It only complicates matters further for them, by fleeing the scene.
If caught with help of CCTV visuals later, a simple negligent driving case will turn into hit-and-run case.

In certain circumstances, to avoid mob-fury, one may be forced to leave the scene, but in that case the driver should immediately report the matter to the nearest police station.
If that is also not done, then it is just pure criminal offence.

I personally feel that getting caught later after fleeing from an accident scene should be charged with attempt of murder itself and nothing less than that.

Mistakes can happen to anyone, but trying to escape after causing such a mistake without giving any value to human life writhing in pain on the road, caused by ones own carelessness, is nothing short of murder attempt itself.

I feel the officials/authorities or whomsoever concerned should include these aspects too in the driver's learning programmes and awareness campaigns.
They should be educated that fleeing and getting caught later will only make matters worse for them, and would only help in increasing the number of charges against them.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 15:52   #25777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Accident on Gujarat highway-Mahindra Bolero pick-up truck, driven at high speed, hits a family of three on a commuter motorcycle.
Luckily all three are said to have survived with minor injuries.
What happened is bad, no excuse for the bolero driver for not stopping. But why blame is on the bolero driver why not on the motorcycle rider. He may be crossing the road without watching the road.
tht'snotME is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 16:22   #25778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht'snotME View Post
... But why blame is on the bolero driver why not on the motorcycle rider. He may be crossing the road without watching the road.
+1
From my experience I can confirm that usually, two wheeler riders are very, very careless. Though its not shown in this video, there is a high probability that the bike was coming from wrong side and joined the correct lane from the cut in road divider. The cut itself should mean the Bolero driver should slow down, but he didnt.

In the video, no individuals on the bike are wearing helmet. I could not even notice rear view mirrors. Most two wheelers either dont have rear view mirrors or are not used. Any directional change has to be first planned by looking into rear view mirrors. Usually, this is not done. I reside in Vadodara and enroute to my native place I have to cross Dakor. Vadodara to Dakor on NH (not expressway) is horrible thanks to high number of two wheeler on highway that change direction without any thought to traffic on the road. Its not unusual to have a couple and kid on a bike.

While Bolero driver should be have been more careful and have slowed down, the error could not be only from his side. The way Bolero swings from right lane to left lane itself proves the erratic movement of bike.
Why Bolero hit bike is also as important as putting any charges on Bolero driver.

To be honest, senseless driving on our roads is getting way too irritating. We notice two wheelers more due to higher number of two wheelers plying on roads.

Quote:
In ... I don't understand why the drivers are so heartless that they have to flee from the scene without even caring to check what happened to the victims, or offering assistance to hospitalize them.

I personally feel that getting caught later after fleeing from an accident scene should be charged with attempt of murder itself and nothing less than that.
Here is a case where a crowd was already gathering but not aggressive, but then usually its not the case. Once a mob gathers, there is very little time to react to it. But I do agree, it should be reported to Police after the accident. Saves from a lot of trouble later on.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st February 2018 at 16:31.
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 16:52   #25779
BHPian

Quote:
..But why blame is on the bolero driver why not on the motorcycle rider. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
+1
.. Though its not shown in this video, there is a high probability that the bike was coming from wrong side and joined the correct lane from the cut in road divider. ....
+1 to both of you, additionally look at the angle at which the bike is trying to move to the left most lane. Keep a track of the Bolero after hitting the bike, it drove on two wheels for some distance & could have toppled. Not sure if he was able to control the vehicle further on the road.
Running away from the accident spot could be due the avoid himself from "Mob Justice"; who come out with an assumption that the bigger vehicle is always at fault.
Does the VDO carries Audio, if it does can we check if there was honking from the Bolero driver, when he saw the bike crossing the road sharply & he realized that he cannot avoid hitting him.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 16:53   #25780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
A major road accident happened on Hyderabad - Bangalore highway near Mahaboob nagar. A verito cab collided with another car (Looks like Nissan Micra) by jumping the divider on the high way. 9 out of 11 people lost their lives and 2 severely Injured.
There is something uncanny an eerie about this highway. I don't know if it's just me, but some of the worst mishaps occur here. Really bad one's. Maybe it's the kind of traffic here or the type of drivers using this road, or the way it's built/constructed or then some other statistic, but the worst accidents I hear about are mostly from this particular highway. The really gory ones, I mean.
R.I.P the deceased.
Old 21st February 2018, 19:02   #25781
BHPian

That Pickup truck was in his lane no doubt, however he was way to fast to even anticipate if anything was thrown at him. The right lane is all CLEAR he COULD have changed lanes if he was within speed.

Cant decipher the sign but there is a Blue instruction board in the center of that divider.
But then how would he understand that, another liability let loose.

oh just got the last line in bold from Cartoq.
It’s extremely important to stay alert while crossing highways, and also slow down for intersections.

I am just highlighting what is required as common road sense.

Oh yeah and methinks, the two wheeler riders and their families are NO less than the bravest of warriors to ride on motorways with NO rules, no safety gear and carefree attitude. I shudder to take anyone as pillion on the motorways.

In this clip, I feel its criminal for the rider to travel with his wife and child on a two wheeler and he should be booked too.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 21st February 2018 at 19:13.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 21:59   #25782
BHPian

Quote:
What happened is bad, no excuse for the bolero driver for not stopping. But why blame is on the bolero driver why not on the motorcycle rider. He may be crossing the road without watching the road.
I never said that the 2-wheeler rider was not at fault.

The accident might have been 100% due to the motorcycle rider's carelessness.
But that is another topic for debate.

What I was trying to point out is the general tendency of drivers to continue driving without even caring to stop and see what happened to the victims.
Especially after seeing 2 such videos today, I felt like putting forward my 2 cents.Thats' all.

And regarding this Bolero incident, I think the Bolero driver was over-speeding way beyond the limits.
So there is no point in telling that the 2 wheeler rider alone needs to be blamed.
Both have contributed to the accident.

Maintaining safe speeds and reducing the speeds at junctions and crossings/U-turns on highways is what is expected of all drivers.

In our country, there is no point in arguing that someone crossed the road / junction carelessly, if you are doing insane speeds and hit them without being able to apply brakes on time.

So the best option is to always maintain safe speeds, anticipating the unexpected at all times, so that there is greater chance of success in case of a panic-braking.

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 21st February 2018 at 22:01.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 22:10   #25783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post

@Mods: Pics are very disturbing. Please remove the link, if it is not acceptable.

http://www.andhrajyothy.com/pages/ph...GllryID=192500
Man, that one is gory.

This jumping the divider has become the norm of the day. Looks like single carriage road is safer than divided lanes. At the least, you can be sure no vehicle will jump in front of you from the bushes.

Reading all these similar cases, I tend to stick on to the left lane these days.
Old 21st February 2018, 23:18   #25784
BHPian

Quote:
What I was trying to point out is the general tendency of drivers to continue driving without even caring to stop and see what happened to the victims.Especially after seeing 2 such videos today, I felt like putting forward my 2 cents.Thats' all.
My comment here is a general one, and not specific to this Bolero. If you don't speak the local language, it would take a lot of courage to stop, and return to talk to the villagers/mob. Especially when there was a small child without a helmet involved. After seeing instances of mob violence on random highway vehicles after an accident involving a child, one cannot expect any rational/logical discussion there. What if that car had a couple children who were also injured after impact? Should they have stopped? I do not see such instances in black and white anymore. It is hard to judge without full info. If it was me in that car, unharmed, with no one else in the car, I would have certainly returned to help that family. I am not sure what I would have done, if I had my kids in that car who were also injured after impact. I would be more than willing to help this child and family as a third party who stood witness to this. I have taken training in first aid and emergency care, and I always carry an emergency first aid kit, that would probably be of help here.

Another observation here is the lack of awareness of the dangers of fast moving highway vehicles. So many people sitting standing on the highway after an accident is scary. It is common for another overtaking vehicle to not see these people. Some of these people need to walk several hundred meters from the accident spot to flag down/alert approaching cars. If they are sitting on the highway, they are sitting ducks for drivers affected by target fixation, overtaking cars, or cars with bad brakes and bald tires.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 21st February 2018 at 23:46.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 00:55   #25785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terrorist View Post
Drifting scorpio kills one and injured another.
To all, to understand the issue better, how can a Scorpio drift like that? Can it be caused due to blown rear tire? Can the blame solely be placed on the driver for negligent driving?

Edit: It looks like the rear passenger side tire is blown?

Last edited by govigov : 22nd February 2018 at 00:58.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed