Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2018, 21:47   #26026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Providing a replacement car within 6 days is truly amazing.
Why is it amazing, does the Nexon have a waiting period of a couple of months for it to be an amazing thing? I'm imagining it to be pretty normal for the dealer to get rid of one more car standing in their yard. What have they to lose? In fact, there may be something in it for them surely.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 21:55   #26027

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Why is it amazing, does the Nexon have a waiting period of a couple of months for it to be an amazing thing? I'm imagining it to be pretty normal for the dealer to get rid of one more car standing in their yard. What have they to lose? In fact, there may be something in it for them surely.

Yes, there is 8 weeks of waiting on nexon in delhi. Unless dealer have the desired stock available (they know which colour is fast selling, so they pre-order to compete with other dealerships), in this case a glasgow gray, which is again a fast moving colour. I guess every 2/5 nexon sold are glasgow gray.
zendavesta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 09:11   #26028
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I am so much fed up of the BS this particular site is serving that I have started ignoring everything automotive in my Google news feed. They just write for the sake of writing, probably Dhinchak Pooja has joined them.

This is how one day my news feed was looking and just take a look at the titles of the articles
Attachment 1747157
Perhaps you're clicking too much on that site. Ignore it, and scroll down, you may get other sites on your feed.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 09:44   #26029
Senior - BHPian

No helmet, driving bike at high speed at a median crossing is quite dangerous. Our roads are full of people who cross roads without looking, a median means danger all the time, one needs to be alert and at slow speeds always while crossing medians(anyone including animals may be crossing it).

Last edited by tanwaramit : 31st March 2018 at 09:57.
tanwaramit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 11:46   #26030
BHPian

No regards for safety. Both the trolley and biker are party to this incident, more of the biker though. Over speeding without slowing down at median crossing itself is the cause of majority of accidents. Not wearing a helmet is a given untold rule in small towns though.
CornerCarver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 12:59   #26031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well, while it is bad that cartoq equates strong build quality with such accidents, we, informed enthusiasts make similar stupid comments here in this thread, equating accidents with weak build quality of Maruti without even knowing the circumstances and factors in an accident.

Misconceptions are everywhere!
Not exactly even a small fender bender equates to much larger damage penetration for cars from the Maruti stable.

Some people may say its crumple zone, etc but frankly when the bodyshell integrity is not "Stable" even in relatively small accidents things can only go worse from there.

I had talked to one of the safety engineer from Hyundai when I went to their regional conference and he explained while they can test a car for impact "Crash test" there really is no equal alternative for mass. High strength metals are used but they are placed in such a way as to absorb certain angle of impact "Strategic placement" instead of whole frame made from the same high strength metal.

I had long ago started this thread seems there was merit in my question that day after all. The commonality of the platform assures best weight reduction with much higher testing rate. Thus a common platform or few platforms which is tested several times to assure a constant bodyshell integrity rating.
Brishti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 14:36   #26032
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai dentist seriously injured in hit-and-run accident succumbs to organ failure.

Quote:
A dentist from Mumbai's Nair Dental College, who was grievously injured in a hit-and-run accident at Marine Lines, passed away on Friday evening of multiple organ failure.

Dipali Lahamate had been on a ventilator since March 24, the day of the accident. She was on her way to JJ Hospital Gymkhana to attend her brother's convocation ceremony as he had completed his MBBS.

The accused Shikha Jhaveri was driving a Honda City car with her daughter seated beside her. Lahamate's kin had alleged that it was a hit and run case.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-121212.jpg

Source : https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...331-2018-03-30
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 19:28   #26033
BHPian

Got this on WA. The driver-less tractor looks surreal flailing in the wind.

WasavaTyres is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:09   #26034
BHPian

Yesterday I met with an accident. This happened when I was traveling from Etumanoor to Kottayam in my 2007 model Alto. The time was around 7 pm and it was also raining. At Gandhinagar Junction traffic signal, I saw the red light from far and was slowing down. Suddenly I felt the car hitting something and the front raising slightly. Before I knew what was going on, the car on the divider. My concentration was on the traffic light that I completely missed the divider . I didn't get down from the car and assess the situation but just reversed the car and parked it to the side of the road. The engine was producing a strange noise while applying throttle. On examining the car it was found that the front bumper had damaged slightly and also the coolant from radiator was leaking. Just as I was assessing the situation another car, this time a Spark, hit the same median. Unlucky for them an auto rickshaw which was right behind them hit them from behind. A lady inside the auto was injured and was later taken to the hospital. The locals said that the divider was put up only 2 days back and till now about 10 vehicles already hit the divider including a KSRTC bus. I later contacted the insurance people (I took insurance from Popular Maruti itself) and they shared my number to the technician. I received a call from him within seconds and he asked me if there was any other damage other than the radiator to which I replied no. Then he asked me to check if the tire had moved backward. At that time only I checked the tires and it had moved backward and was touching the mudguard. He then arranged a pick-up truck and the vehicle was towed to Popular Maruti, Thiruvalla, about 35 km from the spot of accident. I was charged Rs 3500 of which 1500 was covered by insurance and the rest I had to pay from my pocket.

Was that a bad idea reversing the car from the divider without assessing the situation?
The damage caused.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picsart_040208.46.11.jpg
Take some rest dear car
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picsart_040208.47.21.jpg
The spark which met with similar fate
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picsart_040208.24.50.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picsart_040208.41.04.jpg
The median
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picsart_040208.56.24.jpg
deep4u is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:08   #26035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep4u View Post
Was that a bad idea reversing the car from the divider without assessing the situation?
Sorry for what happened. Lucky that there were no injury at your end after going head on with that nuisance of planning by the road authorities. There is not even a reflector to alert drivers.

I don't think reversing will cause any major damage other than what was already scrapped or damaged from the impact. Your SA did the right thing to get the tow van arranged after assessing your situation.

Get the front axle checked and replace parts if you see any structural damage. Check the sump and radiator for puncture holes, deep gashes.

Last edited by prithm : 2nd April 2018 at 10:15. Reason: spelling
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:56   #26036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep4u View Post
It's very difficult to spot such dividers when it rains or when there is high beam lights from other side. There should be a raised reflector to warn drivers.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 13:13   #26037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Got this on WA. The driver-less tractor looks surreal flailing in the wind.
Tractors are being put to many such creative 'destructive' uses these days and without any safety measure whatsoever, accidents are bound to happen.

Summarized another Tractor use i saw recently.
Demolition Derby in a Tractor

Amazing that the driver is able to practice, "how to cause an accident" day in and day out!
Old 2nd April 2018, 22:57   #26038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
The incident has also been covered by cartoq blog praising tata quality. Whats up with the blog and Tata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I am so much fed up of the BS this particular site is serving that I have started ignoring everything automotive in my Google news feed.
Here is another one by them. A Tiago crashed into a Tractor and rolled over twice and the occupants escaped with very minor injuries.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180402_225423.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tatatiago_4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180402_225500.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tatatiago_3.jpg

This is the Link to the tweet by the owner of the car.

Last edited by Shanksta : 2nd April 2018 at 22:59.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 23:39   #26039
BHPian

This accident occured in Udupi, no other details have been shared.

1. Carelessness on the part of the bikers, when crossing the road.
2. Target fixation by the Innova driver?

Last edited by motorpsycho : 2nd April 2018 at 23:40.
motorpsycho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 00:54   #26040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
1. Carelessness on the part of the bikers, when crossing the road.
2. Target fixation by the Innova driver?
Expecting stray vehicles/animals/people carelessly and suddenly crossing the roads particularly at junctions is a given in our country.
This careless behaviour is part of our road landscape (due to lack of proper training, lack of awareness/ignorance, lack of strict law enforcement) and will remain that way for a long time into the future.
Any driver crossing a junction has no option but to drive defensively and slow down enough to be control the vehicle comfortably in such situations (and pray about not getting rear ended in the process)

Look at the way the Innova is speeding at the junction. Without any anticipation that someone may dart across the road suddenly. It was in the Innova driver's hands to avoid this incident by being slow and anticipating that someone would cross recklessly.

Of-course the biker is at fault for that reckless crossing, but thats how most people cross our roads unfortunately. It will remain that way. The car driver had to be more careful.

In this scenario, both parties are required to commit a mistake for such a collision to happen. The car driver could have shown more restraint.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 3rd April 2018 at 00:58.
for_cars1 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed