Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2018, 14:34   #26101
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Himachal Pradesh: 23 kids among 27 killed as school bus falls into gorge.

News Source: https://m.timesofindia.com/city/shim...w/63682355.cms

So sad to see children being killed. It seems the driver was 67 years old. I was wondering if there should be a retirement age for drivers of public vehicles. Apart from slower reflexes chances of involuntary sleep increase with age. Imagine a driver getting a heart attach/stroke or even a cramp on a tight mountain road. Could be disastrous.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th April 2018 at 11:26. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Old 11th April 2018, 15:52   #26102
Senior - BHPian

Local news papers say that the driver was swapped by his dad himself as the latter felt his son was driving too slow and he would not make it back on time as the truck was assigned another task the next day.
That is tragic. As a person who frequents this ghat often, I always find amusing how we Indians take steep slopes as an opportunity to increase speed. Even small cars like Alto's and Wagon-Rs will whizz past you at 100+ kmph on this dangerous gradient. There are enough warning signs on the entire stretch starting from the tunnel itself. Staying within safe limits on this sloping curve is absolutely necessary, especially for bigger vehicles.

I also find it a bit strange why people are saying that there needs to be an alternative road for this gradient as the design of this stretch is defective. I have seen such roads in other countries too, of-course, people adhere to speed limits and respect warning signs there.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 15:59   #26103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Local news papers say that the driver was swapped by his dad himself as the latter felt his son was driving too slow and he would not make it back on time as the truck was assigned another task the next day.
This is terrible then! The owner should be taken to task for putting undue pressure on his employee, causing almost 2 dozen people to lose their lives and a dozen others with serious injuries.
Old 11th April 2018, 16:23   #26104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
people adhere to speed limits and respect warning signs there.
This thread would hardly be a few pages if this was the case here
deathwalkr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 19:32   #26105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Maruti Dzire accident.
The Dzire must have lost control/hit something at a really high speed to roll over so many times, heck it almost crossed a whole road by rolling . Even the Bullet guy should be counting his lucky stars, if he was a bit faster or the dzire had started to roll a bit late, he would have surely been involved in a big collision with the Dzire.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 11th April 2018 at 19:46.
Old 11th April 2018, 22:57   #26106
BHPian

Brother Writes A Short Thank You Note To Skoda For Saving His Sister’s Life

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-skodarapidcrashyamunaexpressway11.jpg

As quoted in the article:
"A 2017 Skoda Rapid met with an accident on Yamuna Expressway on April 4, 2018 while coming to Delhi. Driver was driving with my sister seated at the back. They were coming back to Delhi at around 7:30 in the evening when, suddenly a truck changed lanes and applied brakes. The car went under the truck till the middle of the windshield. The driver and my sister came out without a scratch. I’m writing you this message so you could tell people through a post how well built these cars are made."

Link
Highh5 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 23:26   #26107
Senior - BHPian

Driver should be drunk...thank god, he doesn't jumped the divider resulting in a head on with the vehicle coming in opposite direction.
Surprise is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 06:52   #26108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Driver should be drunk...
Could also be that he was drowsy perhaps although I guess if that was the case the initial scrapes and jolts should ideally have woken him up.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 07:19   #26109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

Driver should be drunk...thank god, he doesn't jumped the divider resulting in a head on with the vehicle coming in opposite direction.
This video is already discussed on this thread. If my memory is correct, this happened near Salem towards Bangalore.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 09:41   #26110
BHPian

Ambulance accident at Kazhakootam.

The boy who fell from the bike escaped miraculously. The roads were controlled by the police to make way for the ambulance all the way from Calicut and the autowaala makes their efforts go down the drain.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 13th April 2018 at 09:44.
--gKrish-- is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 09:48   #26111
Senior - BHPian

A brand new I20's accident at NH48.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180413wa0005.jpg
Old 13th April 2018, 16:51   #26112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Ambulance accident at Kazhakootam.
This just angers me so much. I've have been driving for most of my life and I have never ever got in the way of an ambulance. It's just common sense and courtesy to just let the ambulance go. What exactly does one achieve by getting in the way?

The ambulance themselves weren't helping the case as the lead Omni seems to veer off to the left and the Traveler seems to be on the right. Maybe the auto driver panicked and swerved right to get out of the way without looking in his mirrors. Although it could have been avoided if he had just stuck to the left lane and not leave so much gap.

And it also appears that someone in the ambulance was also injured.
Old 13th April 2018, 17:36   #26113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Ambulance accident at Kazhakootam
The life saver vehicle itself comes without:
1) A powerful motor
2) Decent set of tyres
3) ABS

Had there been ABS, the ambulance wouldn't have skidded out of control like the way it did!

I have nothing to complaint about auto driver, omni passed him from left and force guy squeezed his bus in the insufficient space - lack of co-ordination is there and cops are just waving to pass instead of making sure that the auto wasn't supposed to be at the place at that moment.
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 18:34   #26114
Senior - BHPian

Imagine this...Drives for almost 400KMs, almost reaches destination and gets into an accident which thankfully was not fatal. Wonder what all the cops were doing in the junction. They had one job!
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 18:38   #26115
Senior - BHPian

A petitioner in the Ishrat Jahan case was in a fatal car accident. This article says his car braked suddenly and was rear ended by a truck.

The accompanying picture however tends to show a car that did the rear ending and then got squeezed under the back of the truck due to no under run protection bars.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/gopi...cident-1837264

Last edited by SDP : 17th April 2018 at 08:59. Reason: Factual correction + a typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks