Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2018, 22:39   #26191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They call that a road?
Apparently it's not technically a "road". Yet. It's under construction so maybe we could term it as a "soon-to-be road", eh? 😇
pixantz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 23:11   #26192
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They call that a road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Apparently it's not technically a "road". Yet. It's under construction so maybe we could term it as a "soon-to-be road", eh? 😇
Actually it was a well paved double lane road till last year. This year the work of widening it started under Char Dham All-weather-road project. So, it is in a very bad shape due to the ongoing construction work.
Udit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 23:41   #26193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit View Post
Yesterday I was on my way back to Dehradun from a village near New Tehri. It started raining with thunderstorm. There were very few vehicles on the road and it was dark outside. After taking a turn near Eco-Park Dhanaulti, all of a sudden I saw a tree fallen on the road along with some electricity lines hanging with it. I slammed brakes and my Alto came to halt with a small skid on the wet road. Immediately I reversed the car to make a safe distance from the hanging live electricity wires. Informed local people about it and also to the vehicles coming in that direction.
Whoa! I spent a few years of my childhood in New Tehri and remember the Chamba-Dhanaulti stretch, which was very picturesque but too narrow and with many patches of broken tarmac. Last I used this road was some 6 years ago so don't know about its current state. I am happy to know that you spotted the tree well in time and avoided anything serious.

Regards

Last edited by bblost : 2nd May 2018 at 01:14. Reason: removed embedded videos.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 23:46   #26194
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this just a few metres before the Ambiance Mall, Gurgaon. A friend who was in my car told me that some people lost their lives in this accident. Apparently, the Alto was hit by a truck. Sad!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180501-1.57.34-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180501-1.57.35-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 1st May 2018 at 23:46. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:28   #26195
Distinguished - BHPian

Just read about a Fortuner getting totalled and the link to the story by the owner. The airbags did not deploy. The explanation by Toyota is that sensors were not hit so airbags did not deploy. It does look plausible but looking at that car, I feel airbag sensors should be configured in a way to get triggered by shock also. Or is it some flaw with last generation Fortuners wherein airbags fail to deploy? Read on - https://medium.com/@divyjaising/targ...e-f66317453c8a
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:09   #26196
BHPian

Aren't air bags designed to deploy only when seat belts are fastened? Is it not quite possible that seat belts weren't fastened?

Last edited by swissknife : 2nd May 2018 at 12:10.
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:08   #26197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Looks like the tractor was idling, the impact from the other tractor forced the tractor into gear?

People who have driven a tractor can explain properly.
To me it seems the second tractor hit the first one, which was parked in gear, the push got it started, note the smoke.
aspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:23   #26198
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Kiran Kranthi shares these images with us.

Quote:
Accident at Nizamabad District, Telangana on April 30th.

Car involved: New EcoSport
Survivors: None
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1-4.jpg
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:48   #26199
BHPian

Four people of same family lost their lives in this Nizamabad district (Dichpally) Ecosport accident. Two parents and their two kids.
Very unfortunate and scary too. It was mentioned in the news article that the car suffered from a sudden tyre puncture, lost control and rammed into a truck coming in opposite direction. I have attached the pic of the same Ecosport tyre after the accident.
I really doubt that the reason for accident could be something else like unexpected dozing off at the wheel as they were returning from a marriage in Hyderabad and the tyre blast could be due to impact of the car hitting the median during the crash.

Pics of the deceased.

Source: Eenadu, a Telugu Daily.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ecosport.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ecosport1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ecosport2.jpg  

Last edited by Hickstead : 2nd May 2018 at 14:03.
Hickstead is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:57   #26200
Senior - BHPian

+1

That is a Titanium variant (16" wheel) and not Titanium+ (17" wheel is what many reported tyre issues).
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 14:54   #26201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Four people of same family lost their lives in this Nizamabad district (Dichpally) Ecosport accident. Two parents and their two kids.
Feels all the more sad and scary to learn this because I returned back taking the same route to Bangalore from Nagpur with my family.

The section near Nizambad is usually empty and super fast that one needs to really concentrate even when driving during the day. Its FAST but it can create near hallucination of a still image ahead for hours!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hyderabad-adilabad.jpg

Good Roads or super awesome roads; Good car or extremely good car - Somehow, I have comfortably settled between 100-120 KMPH that helps take care of a lot of aspects together. I am too paranoid and glad that I still drive with a lot of fear even today.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd May 2018 at 14:55.
paragsachania is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 15:16   #26202
Distinguished - BHPian

Ghastly.

Looks like a full-fledged T-boning of the ES by the fully loaded truck. No seat-belts or airbags (front/side/curtain/knee blah blah) can help in such cases. Appears to have hit the truck side-on and then ridden under the truck due to the crumpled roof.

RIP.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 16:54   #26203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Just read about a Fortuner getting totalled and the link to the story by the owner. The airbags did not deploy. The explanation by Toyota is that sensors were not hit so airbags did not deploy. It does look plausible but looking at that car, I feel airbag sensors should be configured in a way to get triggered by shock also. Or is it some flaw with last generation Fortuners wherein airbags fail to deploy? Read on - https://medium.com/@divyjaising/targ...e-f66317453c8a
The concept of deployment of an airbag isn’t as simple as the sensor being hit. I read through the article and it seems the vehicle has gone and hit the tow truck at an angle and if I remember what I read for airbag deployment it depends on many factors including the speed and angle of impact, location of impact and also the rate of deceleration. The aspect of deceleration is paramount as airbag deployment in normal collision scenarios will harm than protect. In this case the car has gone under and damage has also occurred to the A pillar so it is possible that sensors may have missed being hit. The right side door damage is also minimal and it isn’t a full frontal crash so possibly the car decelerated within safe limits.

Recreating an accident or commenting on how it happened is impossible so I will not judge the comments of the affected person but the mere fact that everyone escaped unhurt can throw light on the magnitude of the crash and why the airbags didn’t deploy.

I for one will have more faith in a car which got me safe out of an accident and go ahead with a re purchase.. but then to each his own
RajeVenu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 19:10   #26204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kiran Kranthi shares these images with us.
This accident gives me chills. I don't want to speculate on what was the cause of the accident but this is a terrible way to go. The car appear to have jumped the median and hit the lorry sideways with full speed. There is no surviving that unfortunately.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 19:18   #26205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
To me it seems the second tractor hit the first one, which was parked in gear, the push got it started, note the smoke.
Yes, your explanation makes sense, quite plausible. Diesel engines, old ones, a lot easier to push start it seems.
ecenandu is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks