Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2018, 22:13   #26221
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
[ People have gone mad is all I can say.
Having travelled extensively for 20+ years on work on surface transport throughout India, I can only say that this kind of idiocy is very common amongst all the parties in the video.

Each of the mini incidents was caused by a super inflated ego
itwasntme is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 22:36   #26222
BHPian

The Hayabusa rider goes behind a reversing truck while other vehicles are waiting and giving way to the truck. He goes on to hit a cyclist.
Not sure who deserves respect after such antics.
As such this kind of behavior has become commonplace by riders. Many riders think its their right to cut a turning vehicle, overtake from wrong side and drive on non-existent gaps!
Acharya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 23:27   #26223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This one is crazy, stupid and scary too. The rider cannot wait for the truck and just as he goes behind the truck starts reversing. He freaks out moves a bit more to the right, realises a cyclist is waiting there to cross slams the rear brake, loses balance and falls.
His Parents (if own bike) or Friend (if borrowed from friend) should have told him that it was not a Hero Honda Passion that he would be riding.
Old 4th May 2018, 01:52   #26224
BHPian

Quote:
The Hayabusa rider had no patience to wait which definitely burned a nice little hole in his wallet and the scary part was the Punjab roadways green bus just barreling down on him.
It's only the bikes that are getting upgraded; It's not our discipline, not our intention to share the road nor the road manners.
Everyone's just plain lucky in this case. It looks like the bus driver was trying to teach him a lesson or something by trying to intimidate him.
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 07:34   #26225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
In another news, I read that as the car nose-dived in the canal, water started gushing inside.
She tried to get out of the car, but couldn't do so because the doors were locked. She went for the rear seats but that didn't help her saving her life and she died of drowning.

Now, this has always baffled me: why do doors get locked in case of an accident? What's the logic behind it? I've read this in many cases.
I also have the same question why the doors are locked after accidents. I have read that one should keep a glass hammer for such unfortunate times but is there any specific reason that doors will not open inside water. Agree that it may get jammed after a severe accident on road but apart from that needs an explanation.

Last edited by roby_dk : 4th May 2018 at 07:35.
Old 4th May 2018, 08:06   #26226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This one is crazy, stupid and scary too.
As you've already said, Patience was all that was needed and none of this would have happened. I pity the poor cyclist waiting to cross the road.

Bus drivers do not care and there is nothing you can do about it. You need to watch your back.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 08:24   #26227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I also have the same question why the doors are locked after accidents. I have read that one should keep a glass hammer for such unfortunate times but is there any specific reason that doors will not open inside water. Agree that it may get jammed after a severe accident on road but apart from that needs an explanation.
I think same kind of scenario was discussed earlier. One can use the removable head rest to break the glass.
As an helicopter pilot it was part of my training as to how to get out of the cockpit if one crash lands /ditching in water. Most important thing in such scenario is keeping ones wits intact and act fast as once the vehicle is inside water the water pressure is too much to open any door and as such with power windows being electrically operated won't work once inside water same will be the case with central locking. An accident on land is a different case altogether.

Last edited by techfreak : 4th May 2018 at 08:26.
techfreak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 08:53   #26228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Four people of same family lost their lives in this Nizamabad district (Dichpally) Ecosport accident. Two parents and their two kids...
It's extremely sad and has been haunting me since a while now. A family like mine on a pleasure trip, with the usual chirping happening inside the car and then in matter of seconds it's all over.

If the cause is tire burst, who in our apathetic system takes the responsibility of investigation? Was the tire manufacturer at fault supplying cheap quality cheap cost tires? or was it the bunk from where the tire pressure was "checked" and (over) inflated with faulty gauge? or was it indeed a case of driving on right most lane and dozing off? or as the family was on the way back from marriage so might be sleep deprived as such; we wouldn't know. But as Ford & Tyre burst are being called out in all articles would there be a meaningful investigation done by some one to rule out/confirm in the interest of human lives.

In developed countries, this would be brought to conclusion but we know that in India it will be logged as just another accident case and authorities will move on ignoring such "minor" bumps in their visionary journey of 'sabka vikas".
wangdu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 09:16   #26229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
once the vehicle is inside water the water pressure is too much to open any door and as such with power windows being electrically operated won't work once inside water same will be the case with central locking. An accident on land is a different case altogether.
I agree that central locking/power windows won't work inside water, but what about road accidents?
Several years ago (I guess in 2010), a guy got burnt alive on Pune's FC road in his VW Vento (AFAIK).
People tried to save him, but the doors were locked. By the time they tried to break the windows open, the car was engulfed in flames and nothing much could be done.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 09:32   #26230
Distinguished - BHPian

Today morning at the NICE road Electronic city exit in Bengaluru, this loaded truck leaned on the toll gate.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180504_074803.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180504_074806.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180504_074822.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 10:27   #26231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Today morning at the NICE road Electronic city exit in Bengaluru, this loaded truck leaned on the toll gate.
These guys never learn. A simple rule of thumb of not loading anything beyond the cabin height is too complicated for them.

Must have been a lucky escape for the toll booth employee. Had it leaned on the last pillar, it would have bought down the structure on everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu13uk View Post
Good to know that.
The only saving I have, if they confiscate my mobile is, the phone is worth of Rs 2,750 only. I had bought it as an emergency/backup phone.
These things are recording of offences which has happened in public domain. Infact these footages are not pre planned, hence these are vital clues for the Police Department and the Court.

In any event, this piece of information will help both these institutions to bring it to closure with least doubt in mind. Hence, they have revised the condition for evidence presentation.

Last edited by navin : 4th May 2018 at 11:44.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 10:45   #26232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
this loaded truck leaned on the toll gate.
And we always blame NICE authorities for not providing proper customer support .

I am imagining that these loads which I saw on Delhi - Kanpur stretch would never make it through the narrow lanes of NICE tolls ever.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-d-29.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 11:57   #26233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post

If the cause is tire burst, who in our apathetic system takes the responsibility of investigation? Was the tire manufacturer at fault supplying cheap quality cheap cost tires? or was it the bunk from where the tire pressure was "checked" and (over) inflated with faulty gauge? or was it indeed a case of driving on right most lane and dozing off? or as the family was on the way back from marriage so might be sleep deprived as such; we wouldn't know.

...in India it will be logged as just another accident case and authorities will move on ignoring such "minor" bumps in their visionary journey of 'sabka vikas...
Just as you pointed, the exact reason behind this mishap will never be known. Could be anything from tyre condition/quality/under inflation/driving senselessly at high speeds close to the divider and hitting the same/hitting an obstacle, stone, pothole in the middle of the road/ plain sleep deprivation/over speeding and losing control, the list goes on.

End of the day, the cause is largely due to the ignorance of the people involved, people must take responsibility for their actions, must take informed decisions. Decisions make all the difference between being safe and getting in harms way.
We would never know if, they chose to buy high rating tyres, checked tyre pressure before the drive, drove after taking adequate rest, were within speed limits, took care not to drive at high speeds inches away from the divider, drove without distracted by occupants, were alert on the lookout for people/animals crossing the road suddenly and driving at slower speeds to be able to stop, wary of other vehicles breaking rules and kept a buffer to account for other's mistakes, every aspect counts.

Without any particular reference to your post, the general Indian mentality of skipping personal accountability and holding some "authority" responsible has to stop. Sabka vikas will happen only with better understanding of precautions and knowing consequences of decisions that people choose to take. Government is just a manifestation of the general people's mentality and awareness. People need to gain awareness and rise to higher levels of safety and everything slse.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 4th May 2018 at 12:03.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 12:48   #26234
Senior - BHPian

27 charred to death as bus catches fire after accident in Bihar's Motihari.

Quote:
At least 27 passengers are feared dead after a bus travelling from Muzaffarpur to New Delhi turned turtle and caught fire on NH-28 near Belwa village in Bihar's Motihari on Thursday.

State disaster management minister Dinesh Chandra Yadav said that East Champaran DM has confirmed the deaths of 27 people.
Kotwa police station SHO Vijay Sinha told TOI that only four people could be rescued from the ill-fated bus.
News Source & Full Story : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64016561.cms
Old 4th May 2018, 12:57   #26235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The general Indian mentality of skipping personal accountability and holding some "authority" responsible has to stop.
Though I really did not want to comment on such unfortunate event, this point that you mentioned hold true for every aspect of life.

Govt gives you the direction but it is upto you to not over utilize it or over do. When a situation arises where there is higher degree of uncertainty, being cautious should be the first step. A road that govt has laid for its citizen might be good enough even for 250 Kmph, but does that mean I can flatline or drive irresponsibly stating that I am driving at speed limit that the road is graded for ?

If this is a case of part failure, then there is nothing much that can be done. But if its negligence, then responsibility lies on the person who is in driver seat.

Scenarios like these should be used as education material by RTO to educate future drivers. And for folks like us who are witnessing such unfortunate event, it brings our feet back on the ground. It makes me renew my vow to not over speed, challenge or be a slack behind the steering caring less about people around me (inside and outside the car).

Most Viewed