Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2018, 21:58   #26326
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Someone has uploaded the cctv footage of the Dzire accident on YouTube. See from 00:20 minutes.
No more speculation, we have the video of the accident. Now, we can make objective arguments on the accident.

1. Looks like the driver got distracted, looking at mobile, music player etc. The vehicle already started to veer to the left side of the road before the impact.

2. The Laura driver failed to stop in time, the hit wasn't small, it moved the Dzire further.

3. The Creta guy almost collected the Laura as well, luckily it was a car that was coming for the opposite side, had it be a lorry or a bus the story would have been a lot different.

4. This accident looks a lot like a "Passenger-side small overlap frontal test", in the above crash, the driver didn't even slow down, I believe.

Like this one, even the "mightier" cars looks bad in above tests.

Last edited by ecenandu : 8th May 2018 at 22:00.
ecenandu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 12:18   #26327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
I wonder why Innova driver didn't try to make any maneuver after hitting the person and end up running over the guy with both front & rear wheels.
Either he was shocked, didn't know how to react or it's case of poor driving, he could have avoided running over the person.

There is no doubt it's a mistake from pedestrian, however there was a possibility of not running him over and perhaps, saving his life.

Unfortunate!
Hitting a person at that speed who suddenly appears out of now where ,and then suddenly finding him across the windscreen is surely bound to startle even the best of divers , the first reaction is that the driver slams hard on the brakes and s either ducks or turns his face away from the road , generally to the right , that being a natural body reflex . This reflexive move on part of the driver was surely going to make him loose track of the poor victim , and plausibly thats the reason he ran over him as in the panic he lost the location of the victim . I can say this , from a personal experience , when once travelling on the highway a calf suddenly bucked from the bushes on the median at night ,coming right across the windscreen. For a fraction of a second I lost all vision of the road as my eyes shut and I ducked , slamming the brakes at the same time . As a reflex I had also pulled away my hands from the steering to shield my face . It was all split second , and them immediately got back the control of the vehicle .Fortunately could control the car and so a major disaster was averted . The windscreen did shatter , buy apart from the fact that it was a lamshield the film on the front also protected me from glass injury.
sanjz is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th May 2018, 12:37   #26328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No need to talk about the quality of the car: lots of need to talk about the quality of the driver. Straight into stationary mini-truck. And then the Skoda (?) was too close to stop... and number three was a near miss.
True, I think the car did its job to the best, just like in an NCAP test. And, it looks like the Skoda walked away unhurt. From the video, it appears that the Dzire overtook the Skoda from the left before hitting the truck.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 9th May 2018 at 12:39.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 16:19   #26329
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Like this one, even the "mightier" cars looks bad in above tests.
The small overlap crash test is against a static barrier (inelastic collosion) and the crumple zone got crumpled, as it is expected. The dzire underwent small overlap crash against the mini-tempo/mini-pickup , which moved (elastic collision) quite a bit, and hence the same structural (forget sheet metal) damage is neither expected nor respected.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 16:25   #26330
Senior - BHPian

I think it the Dezire's accident case, the infamous brakes of Creta saved it by not stopping, but rather the ABS saved the driver to steer away and keep driving!
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 17:05   #26331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
The small overlap crash test is against a static barrier (inelastic collosion) and the crumple zone got crumpled, as it is expected. The dzire underwent small overlap crash against the mini-tempo/mini-pickup , which moved (elastic collision) quite a bit, and hence the same structural (forget sheet metal) damage is neither expected nor respected.
I agree with the point you raised but there is a slight difference between the word, similar and same, right? All I alluded in the previous comment was the similarities in both the crashes.

Well, talking about the crash test. Take a look at the two videos.

The Volvo S90, dissipated most of the crash energy by deflecting from the static crash barrier and going straight on. While, the Audi A4 came to a complete stop and turned 90 degrees.

You can see a similar trend with most of the Volvos. But the latest Audi cars do fare better in these tests.

Indian specific cars, I believe, will fare far worse in this test due to lack of crash members to address this crash scenario. The Dzire accident being a perfect example in that regard.
ecenandu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 17:23   #26332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The Volvo S90, dissipated most of the crash energy by deflecting from the static crash barrier and going straight on. While, the Audi A4 came to a complete stop and turned 90 degrees.
I love the way the Volvo's drop a wheel and carry on

The Audi A4 is unfairly compared as it is a 2012 model
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 18:11   #26333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I love the way the Volvo's drop a wheel and carry on

The Audi A4 is unfairly compared as it is a 2012 model
Quote:
But the latest Audi cars do fare better in these tests.
Did you miss the third video I posted?
Old 10th May 2018, 16:06   #26334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
New Dzire after colliding with a tempo. There is no damage to the tempo.

New Swift after ending in a ditch. Both happened yesterday. Came as a whatsapp forward.

In both cases, the crash structure seems to have done it's job with very little intrusion into the passenger cabin. The goal of crash tests is to ensure that passengers are protected and not to ensure that the damage to the car is minimised.

Given all the discussions raised here I think Euro NCAP must have it's own India specific crash test where things like belted occupants, deformable barriers etc are not used. 65% of drivers do not belt themselves up in the South anyway and crash structures on our trucks and autos that we dash against are unheard of. Aren't discussion and changes on this front needed as well rather than bashing manufacturers for simply designing a car as per safety norms stipulated by "experts"?

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 16:26   #26335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
In both cases, the crash structure seems to have done it's job with very little intrusion into the passenger cabin. The goal of crash tests is to ensure that passengers are protected and not to ensure that the damage to the car is minimised.

Well that clearly does not seem to be the case in which the auto rickshaw has crashed into the Swift. Attitude towards safety in our country is a problem, however that is not an excuse for manufacturers to make unsafe cars for sake of profitability.
shaktisarangi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 17:02   #26336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
Well that clearly does not seem to be the case in which the auto rickshaw has crashed into the Swift. Attitude towards safety in our country is a problem, however that is not an excuse for manufacturers to make unsafe cars for sake of profitability.
So aren't all manufacturers equally culpable or do you think certain manufacturers are worse in this scenario that others? All of them are designing to the same exact safety specifications.

Isn't the auto manufacturer also responsible for ensuring the safety of the auto's occupants?

Doesn't attitude to safety kill far more than perceived lack of safety in cars? Else why is so much time and effort spent on driver education world over. Manufacturers should simply be instructed to build tank like cars and leave it at that. I have driven both German and Japanese cars and have not felt any more or less safe in any vehicle. In fact it is my driving practices and that of others that has enhanced or reduced my feeling of safety.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 10th May 2018 at 17:07.
Old 10th May 2018, 17:51   #26337
BANNED

Quote:
So aren't all manufacturers equally culpable or do you think certain manufacturers are worse in this scenario that others? All of them are designing to the same exact safety specifications.
The arrogance shown by the first responder in this article cannot go unnoticed : http://www.business-standard.com/art...2300806_1.html
Blame the govt, and mint money. Let insurance companies deal with lives lost, we dont care - that seems to be the motto.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 18:30   #26338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
The arrogance shown by the first responder in this article cannot go unnoticed : http://www.business-standard.com/art...2300806_1.html
Blame the govt, and mint money. Let insurance companies deal with lives lost, we dont care - that seems to be the motto.
Why is it arrogant? He was stating the obvious isn't it? I am yet to see a manufacturer other than Volvo perhaps, who builds a car exceeding safety standards in their respective sales geographies. Heck a couple of them saw no issues in blatant cheating and duping their customers. And which is the manufacturer who is not in this for profitability?

If Maruti cars kill and main as it is made out to be then I am sure they would have been labelled death traps and sales would have been hurt. As it is they do serve as perfectly safe transportation for a vast majority of their buyers. I personally feel that statistics are being taken for a ride and conclusions are been drawn from how damaged the cars look post a crash which is never the criteria for safety tests.

By virtue of sheer sales volumes the number of fatalities and accidents that Maruti cars get into would be very high. I would like to see normalised data that compare fatalities in Maruti cars versus those in some other manufacturers who allegedly offer more safety.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 10th May 2018 at 18:40.
Old 10th May 2018, 19:17   #26339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You can see a similar trend with most of the Volvos. But the latest Audi cars do fare better in these tests.

Indian specific cars, I believe, will fare far worse in this test due to lack of crash members to address this crash scenario. The Dzire accident being a perfect example in that regard.
What's insightful for me in these videos is the two different approaches to attaining passenger safety by Volvo and Audi. Even the 2017 Audi Q7 follows the same approach demonstrated by the 2012 Audi. Volvo deflects while Audi stops in it's tracks and does a 90 degree turn.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 21:44   #26340
BANNED

Quote:
Why is it arrogant? He was stating the obvious isn't it? I am yet to see a manufacturer other than Volvo perhaps, who builds a car exceeding safety standards in their respective sales geographies. Heck a couple of them saw no issues in blatant cheating and duping their customers. And which is the manufacturer who is not in this for profitability?
Sorry to have stoked this topic. There will always be two sides to the question of how much maruti suzuki values the life of an indian. There is a dedicated thread here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-s...tatements.html

we belong to two opposite camps. Lets agree to disagree. Peace.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed