Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2018, 11:17   #26371
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Overspeeding resulted in this wrecked Nexon in Goa. Looks to be a test drive car, had three occupants who recieved only minor injuries apparently. But then the source of this article is known to praise all new Tata cars on great build quality.

Source

Last edited by Shanksta : 18th May 2018 at 11:22. Reason: Adding information
Old 18th May 2018, 11:52   #26372
BHPian

What’s with Tata cars getting into all these mishaps of late.? One thing in particular is that almost every car has the temporary plates on them and passengers come out unscathed. They are then scooped up by various pages, applauding their build quality.

I never thought I’d be posting my weird thought here, but anyone suspecting an intentional foul play here.?
E = mc² is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 12:47   #26373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Overspeeding resulted in this wrecked Nexon in Goa. Looks to be a test drive car, had three occupants who recieved only minor injuries apparently. But then the source of this article is known to praise all new Tata cars on great build quality.
It's quite obvious that they appreciate the build quality because the occupants survived. Isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc² View Post
What’s with Tata cars getting into all these mishaps of late.? One thing in particular is that almost every car has the temporary plates on them and passengers come out unscathed. They are then scooped up by various pages, applauding their build quality.

I never thought I’d be posting my weird thought here, but anyone suspecting an intentional foul play here.?
Really?! You mean to say that the people inside willingly get involved in a crash of this magnitude for the company to make news? Isn't that quite far-fetched?

There are 100s of crashes each day that happens in India and this topic is witness to it. How many instances of people surviving such horrific crashes come to mind? Just because we have seen a lot of Tatas (Tiago, Hexa, Nexon) get involved in such crashes but the occupants are safe, isn't the assumption that these are staged events a wild accusation/rumour?

The new generation of Tatas are much safer in build quality, probably better than their predecessors and the current competition in their respective segments. That's a fact as these accidents prove. So, let's give credit where it's due.
discoverwild is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 14:05   #26374
Senior - BHPian

Came across this accident site in April when I was driving from Bangalore to Vellore. Not sure how it happened but there were no fatalities.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 15:01   #26375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
It's quite obvious that they appreciate the build quality because the occupants survived. Isn't it?
Recently, I scuffed the front bumper of my car, misjudging a tight turn. Thanks to the incredible build quality, I survived!

(Just to illustrate the ridiculous levels that these assumptions of build quality from accidents where people hardly know what happens could reach. Fellow Team-BHP members included.)

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 16:10   #26376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Recently, I scuffed the front bumper of my car, misjudging a tight turn. Thanks to the incredible build quality, I survived!

(Just to illustrate the ridiculous levels that these assumptions of build quality from accidents where people hardly know what happens could reach. Fellow Team-BHP members included.)

Pardon my ignorance, Thad. The Nexon accident isn't a scuff as far as I can see. Nor are those of one tumbling down in Jammu that was shared a while ago, nor was one of the Hexa that missed a turn and tumbled twice somewhere in Kerala.

Assumptions of build quality are fine as long as you don't end up in an accident. On the fateful day, in a crash, the build quality defines whether you are still breathing or going to be buried six feet under.

Have spent almost 25 years of my life driving various cars and clocking an average 20k kms every year, I think I can safely assume what build quality is all about. Having also worked on building highways and seeing accidents on a daily basis then, I can say, 90% of the time it is the driver's fault - fatigue, overconfidence, street racing, driving long hours, slow reaction times, miscalculations, road rage, bad upkeep etc.

Exaggerations exist everywhere. You need to know if you need to take it with a pinch of salt or a bucket load. Acche Din, for instance.
discoverwild is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 16:20   #26377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Exaggerations exist everywhere. You need to know if you need to take it with a pinch of salt or a bucket load. Acche Din, for instance.
Nobody should take my post personally. Well, OK, perhaps some people should, but they are the ones who won't take any notice anyway. Take it as salt to add to the bucket

Just to stress: it was aimed at a common state of affairs and set of assumptions made by a lot of people who do not understand how a car is built and what it might be expected to withstand.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 17:15   #26378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The new generation of Tatas are much safer in build quality, probably better than their predecessors and the current competition in their respective segments. That's a fact as these accidents prove. So, let's give credit where it's due.
I remember asking the same question a couple of months ago (can't remember on which thread exactly) and many other members had agreed with me on this - something's up with that particular website. There have been one too many articles published by them where-

1) a Tata car turns turtle
2) the owner (of all the things he could do as a survivor) praises Tata's build quality
3) A particular website publishes an article relaying the same, where the owner specifically talks about the superior build quality. In fact every owner-survivor seems to have used the exact same words in every article. There's no variation to be seen - no "superb vehicle" or "badiya gaadi", as the common man would likely speak, especially after surviving a potential trauma.
(I would paste the links to the articles in question, but I don't want Team-BHP to get into a stinker of a legal defamation case because of me!)
4) The website publishes no similar articles about other cars

About #4 above - Maybe other cars crash and no one really lives to tell the tale! Who knows? I admit that I have a suspicion that this isn't true, but I could be wrong. Or maybe they won't publish such articles about other manufacturers' cars, for reasons that we shouldn't speculate openly.

I don't want you to feel singled out here mate. But maybe you can allow us to have our suspicions, and let us agree to disagree. Cheers!
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 19:04   #26379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I don't want you to feel singled out here mate. But maybe you can allow us to have our suspicions, and let us agree to disagree. Cheers!
No offense taken, mate.

I don't base my opinions on what others have had to say (media, speculative media, followers, nay sayers) but mostly based on personal experiences. I have been through quite a few cars from the time I have been driving them. I don't spend a great deal of money on cars. Always under a million bucks. I don't baby my cars, don't attach any kind of sentiment to it. I do drive cars above the million mark, but not my own.

My comparison is based on cars of the same price range +/- a lakh and a half. I never said Tata is the best. I said comparative build quality in their respective segments is better. Not comparing a Nexon to a Fortuner.

We all have our opinions and our biases. My bias is on VFM. I don't worry about brand value or what my neighbor thinks about my ride.
discoverwild is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 19:53   #26380
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps Tata could be requesting these owners to praise the car's build quality but crash or not I think there is no other manufacturer offering strong build quality at such value in every segment. Just the other day my friend and I went to the garage to have his Ciaz inspected the issue was excessive vibration during start up I suspected something wrong with the engine mounts but the workshop fellow said it was all fine and then proceeded to show us another Ciaz that had a similar vibration when switching off the motor he said that the Ciaz, Ertiga etc. All use some sort of weight saving implementations with regards to how the engine is mounted onto the chassis. Maruti even charges a premium for these cars these days. Tata on the other hand feels (atleast in the showroom) to be far better built than their price might suggest.

Another reason for this spike in reported crashes could be because nobody is interested in an indicab crash. Also the Nexon and Tiago have sold in much larger numbers than any other Tata car so more such vehicles on the road just equates to more numbers of crashed vehicles and them all being new models, every Tom dick and Harry will want to talk and speculate over them.

Just my 2C
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 20:05   #26381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We all have our opinions and our biases. My bias is on VFM. I don't worry about brand value or what my neighbor thinks about my ride.
Ah! A man who takes after my own heart I bought a Mahindra TUV 300, despite what most people think of sub 4m cars and the TUV's looks in particular. What does it matter when I love it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Perhaps Tata could be requesting these owners to praise the car's build quality but crash or not I think there is no other manufacturer offering strong build quality at such value in every segment
.............<snip>...............
the Ciaz, Ertiga etc. All use some sort of weight saving implementations with regards to how the engine is mounted onto the chassis. Maruti even charges a premium for these cars these days. Tata on the other hand feels (atleast in the showroom) to be far better built than their price might suggest.
Actually, if Tata's cars are indeed so well-built and if they are trying to spin some PR buzz via these articles, I'm all for supporting them. I just wish they would share their cars' crash test results officially to cement their claims. There's a difference between sneaky PR articles versus scientific data. (Caveat: NCAP tests do not reveal all or enough, given their fixed speeds, points of impact, nature of the colliding obstacle etc.)
As it is I'm seeing posts shared here which makes me properly doubt Maruti cars' build quality (and thus did locusjag open himself up for censure by Mr.Thad E Ginathom. Thou shalt not utter 'build quality' in vain, after all!)

Last edited by locusjag : 18th May 2018 at 20:07.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 10:01   #26382
BHPian

Another high speed crash of Toyota Fortuner

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fortuner_11.jpg

This is a previous gen Fortuner and looks like airbags have worked perfectly. The passengers in the Fortuner included an actress Prarthana Behere famous for her TV series.

The accident happened when the driver was approaching a stationary tempo parked on the expressway. After realising that the tempo was not moving, the driver tried to swerve but it was too late. The sudden turn caused the vehicle to lose control and hit a rock. The SUV was going towards a deep ditch but the fall was saved by the rock. Had it been not there, the accident could have been more severe. The actress who was in the rear seat suffered from a broken arm and an injury to her knee. Other passengers and driver escaped without any injuries.
Link
Flyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 13:40   #26383
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the rock has taken that impact very well!

Now, with apologies, I am going to take my turn at making assumptions from little evidence. The story of that accident may have begun at "high speed," but I think the impact was modest. Rock does much more damage to fast cars.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 14:08   #26384
Senior - BHPian

News Courtesy: Times & Pictures courtesy: http://www.mpcnews.in
5 from Nigdi killed in accident at Bhigwan

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180519_scorpio_accident_6.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180519_scorpio_accident_5.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180519_scorpio_accident_4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180519_scorpio_accident_3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180519_scorpio_accident_2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180519_scorpio_accident_1.jpg
PUNE: Five persons were killed, while two suffered serious injuries on Friday evening when a speeding sports utility vehicle jumped the road divider and crashed into a car after one of its tyres burst near Dalas village at Bhigwan on Pune-Solapur highway.
The Bhigwan police have identified the deceased as Sandeep Prakash Gaikwad (35), his wife, Sheetal (32), son, Abhiraj (5), father, Prakash (67) and mother, Sunita (58). They were residents of the Yamunanagar area in Nigdi. They died on the spot.

The identity of the two injured persons is yet to be ascertained. They are undergoing treatment in a private hospital in Bhigwan. The condition of the injured woman is serious, while the man is out of danger.

The accident occurred around 5.30pm when the Gaikwad family was returning to Pune from Tuljapur in neighbouring Solapur district, famous for Tuljabhavani temple. The driver of the sports utility vehicle (SUV) lost control over the wheel after the tyre burst.

A police officer said, “We strongly suspect that the tyre did not have adequate pressure, and this often leads to disastrous accidents. It is quite certain that the SUV driver was speeding.”

The SUV rolled a couple of times before hitting the car. Both the vehicles were completely damaged, the police said.

The four occupants of the car suffered minor injuries because of airbags. Its driver also managed to control the speed of the vehicle. They were treated in a private hospital and discharged in the evening.

The residents of Dalas village rushed to the spot after the accident and used gas cutter to break open the SUV. The police had to stop vehicular movement on the highway for an hour to carry out the rescue operation.

Another police officer said the road condition had improved in the past two years. “We have been observing that commuters drive vehicles at a very high speed without paying much attention to other factors, including the vehicle condition,” he said.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th May 2018 at 10:53. Reason: Typo
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 18:32   #26385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Someone has uploaded the cctv footage of the Dzire accident on YouTube. See from 00:20 minutes.
We must consider the aspect of pedestrian safety as well and on the basis of that I think I will not criticize the MSIL build quality here.

The passenger cabin is intact, the crumble zones did their job fairly well. As for the damages, they will be covered by the insurance. Nothing can compensate for a loss of life.

Put a pedestrian inplace of the vehicle in this scenario, I assume he would also have suffered less damages.

Good Job MSIL.

Criticize the driver only, in a better world he would get banned for driving any vehicle for the rest of his life.

I first came across this subject of pedestrian safety when I went to check out the TUV 300. The SA mentioned the front part and the hood/ bonnet of the car was designed and built (what we call tin can like?) considering the pedestrian safety. In case of a front on hit, the head of a person hits the bonnet of the car with a huge force and this impact leads to severe head injuries. The reason why all the new cars come with the hoods we can't sit on anymore to enjoy the sunset (how I miss my OHC).

Last edited by SDP : 20th May 2018 at 10:10. Reason: Removing video from quoted post
wrongturn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed