Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 08:45   #26536
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Witnessed another one just now was returning with the driver from airport after picking up my dad and suddenly out of nowhere a white Honda city jumps of the divider landing in bang middle of the road on our side. The girl appeared to be drunk got out of the car and just drove off like nothing had happened.
Jumped the divider and drove off? Was that a horse? How high is the divider, no damages to the wheels or axles?
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 10:39   #26537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Jumped the divider and drove off? Was that a horse? How high is the divider, no damages to the wheels or axles?
It was around 1 and half feet length divider those on which plants are not planted , yes even I was shocked but the girl didn't even care. She just came out checked the car visibly and a boy got off the car from passenger side to check and they just really drove off. They were about 15 feet ahead of us when driver stopped the car on my dad's instruction. Seeing the car jump from the other side even our driver had went numb as our car was just rolling towards them until dad told him in a high tone to stop on the side of the road . The car was a white color previous gen Honda city.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 11:14   #26538
Distinguished - BHPian

7 Students Run Over By Bus On Agra - Lucknow Expressway

And the sad reason behind this accident:
Quote:
The students de-boarded the bus on the expressway. They were waiting for it to refuel on the highway when a bus hit them from behind.
How many times we have noticed stranded vehicles on the highway and then the passengers alight from them and group next to the bus nearly blocking a lane! The report says nearly the same and If that is so, If just re-iterates the fact that we have a long way to go in terms of both Parking safely and pedestrian safety.

Few years back when we had hired a Tavera that suffered a flat tire nearing Bangalore, the first thing I did after parking was to lift both the kids as part of our group (around 3 Years and 2 years) and make them stand on the service lane separated by a drain. I was way too paranoid to let the kids stand on the main corridor thinking what if one of them even starts running towards the main lanes.

I have always seen on our highways whenever they travel in groups, they don't realise how dangerously their grouping activity can be when they stand next to the vehicle. Secondly, at nights they become even more vulnerable when they don't realise the importance of wearing light/reflective colored clothes because you are simply not visible.
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 12:43   #26539
BHPian

Yesterday evening around 4.30 - 5.00, I saw an accident between Guestline resorts and Ecity, on Chennai-BLR road. Saw a person lying by the road side.
Traffic piled up badly and hence couldn't take any pics. Anybody has any info on this?
Old 11th June 2018, 12:48   #26540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Both accidents could have been avoided if the Truck in the video and the Brezza remained in their lanes respecting the white line. And the only way to get this done is through imposing some minimum speed limits along with a maximum. Although its a continuous white line, but it can be mighty frustrating and sometimes outright impossible to follow a tractor doing 10 kph on an incline.

Your post reminded me of my German driving tutor who once said this to me (in German so translating to English)

It is frustrating, time/gas consuming and ego hurting as hell to follow a tractor when you are driving a Beamer or Merc but those two solid white lines should never, ever be crossed.

He has had many Indian students and knows how much we respect rules :(

On German single-lane roads with solid lines, we have a small lay-by where the tractors are obliged to stop if the pile up behind is too long. In most cases, even without a lay by, the tractors move to extreme right and make way for cars.

The car drivers are taught to wait and the tractor driver is taught to give way without which either of them will not get a license and if the car driver breaks the rule, we are fined heavily and might lead to license suspension.
Viv3k is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 19:51   #26541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
On German single-lane roads with solid lines, we have a small lay-by where the tractors are obliged to stop if the pile up behind is too long. In most cases, even without a lay by, the tractors move to extreme right and make way for cars.
Exactly. Everyday while going to work I am compelled to cross a solid white line as the entry from Mysore Road onto NICE does not have a dotted line. This is by design teaching people to cross the white line. However surprisingly the Exit at Kanakapura road has a dotted line suggesting that you can cross over!

These are inconsistencies in highway design and execution that can be seen littered around the country because the bid to paint that line goes to the lowest bidder who has no idea why that line is there.

Then there are the impossible bends where a large trailer or even a bus can never make a turn without crossing over to the other side across the solid white.

Net result. No one really follows them.

Same case with Zebra crossings, some have a line before the stripes, some have just the stripes and in some extreme cases you will find just two white lines. Over time we have all learned to accept these, but sometimes on road trips when I try to explain to my 10 year old, one just cannot explain these inconsistencies.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 22:46   #26542
BHPian

A heart rending accident happened Kerala today. Two 4-year olds and their ayah were killed when their school van (Force Trax?) fell off an embankment sans any barrier in to a pond. A total of 8 kids were there in the vehicle, passers-by were able to rescue the rest. CCTV footage here:
Old 12th June 2018, 00:19   #26543
Senior - BHPian

My friend met with an accident on ECity flyover today evening around 7 pm. According to her she was riding her activa on the flyover and was overtaking another vehicle when a cab (she remembers seeing an yellow plate) which was driving fast hit her vehicle. She was thrown off the scooter onto the median and suffered injuries to her hands, legs and also concussion. She was wearing a leather jacket and helmet which probably reduced the intensity.

The cab driver escaped from the scene. Luckily the vehicles behind stopped and helped her. She is right now admitted to the hospital and is under observation!

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 12th June 2018 at 00:20.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 08:44   #26544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
My friend met with an accident on ECity flyover today evening around 7 pm.
Hope she is not having any major injuries and it is usual to observe patient met with an accident for 24 ~ 48 hours. Helmet would have been the saving grace here.
If you have registered a complaint even otherwise hospital would have informed the local police station by now. Since it was on ECity flyover tracing the cab and number won't be a difficult task as they have CCTV at many intervals.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 16:35   #26545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
A heart rending accident happened Kerala today. Two 4-year olds and their ayah were killed when their school van (Force Trax?) fell off an embankment sans any barrier in to a pond. A total of 8 kids were there in the vehicle, passers-by were able to rescue the rest.
Very disturbing video.

Its very dangerous to be on wet kerb during rainy season, specially near lakes, ponds or wetland. Few years back, one of my friends was driving his Ford Ikon on the then narrow tank bund road of now infamous Varthur lake in Bangalore. It was around 8 pm and it was raining very heavily. To give way to an oncoming truck he simply dead stopped his car, with 4 members, including him on the wet kerb. Hardly few seconds, before they could realise, the car started sinking and slipping into the soft soil and very slowly slid into the water. By the time they realised, the car was already inside the water. As it was raining heavily and dark outside, they were not able to realise what was happening. Unfortunately, only the driver could somehow get out of the car.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 16:39   #26546
Senior - BHPian

S-Cross accident pics on https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvku...5854962399565/ . The video is quite scary . The OP claims workshop negligence - there's a mention of a missing cotter pin in the comments - resulting in the accident. Any comments on how this can possibly happen ?
Old 12th June 2018, 18:26   #26547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
A heart rending accident happened Kerala today. Two 4-year olds and their ayah were killed when their school van (Force Trax?) fell off an embankment sans any barrier in to a pond. A total of 8 kids were there in the vehicle, passers-by were able to rescue the rest. CCTV footage here:
Every year with the onset of the monsoons, we see such instances :( And every time politicos and cops will come out with standard replies. Nothing seems to change and innocent little lives get snuffed out for no fault of theirs :(

Could not get myself to watch the video fully...
Old 13th June 2018, 10:02   #26548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
S-Cross accident pics on https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvku...5854962399565/ . The video is quite scary . The OP claims workshop negligence - there's a mention of a missing cotter pin in the comments - resulting in the accident. Any comments on how this can possibly happen ?
I am for some reason unable to find the video. Is it possible to share a direct link to it?
Old 13th June 2018, 13:16   #26549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I am for some reason unable to find the video. Is it possible to share a direct link to it?
Click on the pictures and keep scrolling to the right, one of them is the video.
Old 13th June 2018, 14:41   #26550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
My friend met with an accident on ECity flyover today evening around 7 pm. According to her she was riding her activa on the flyover and was overtaking another vehicle when a cab (she remembers seeing an yellow plate) which was driving fast hit her vehicle. She was thrown off the scooter onto the median and suffered injuries to her hands, legs and also concussion. She was wearing a leather jacket and helmet which probably reduced the intensity.
Sorry to play the skeptic here, no doubt that cabbie should have stopped and faced the music for his actions, but does your friend use her rear view mirrors? More often than not with most of these activas and other scooters, I see the rear view mirrors are so faded and barely pointed in the right direction. These relatively low horsepower slow moving vehicles take very long to pull off overtaking maneuvers and it is very important that they must check their rear view mirror to see if anyone is travelling in the fast lane before coming onto the right of the road to overtake someone.

Seriously, my heart skips a beat every time I see a young woman pull out into the right lane at speeds like 30kmph without even knowing how fast I might be travelling down the road. I keep thinking about how their husbands or boyfriends or parents or children might feel if they get hurt simply because they were not aware that it is imperative to understand how the vehicles around you are moving before hopping lanes. When most folks move about at speeds between 20-40kmph, even if one is travelling at 60 which is under the speed limit, they will seem like they are speeding in relation to these slow movers, because even 60kmph is 50% faster than 40.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 13th June 2018 at 14:46.
IshaanIan is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed