Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2018, 15:07   #26551
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
but does your friend use her rear view mirrors?
Brother, you just got me break into tears, I just got too emotional to handle this one TRUTH!!

One fine evening I got a phone call from my uncle who stays in another town, he was sounding very angry and simply directed me to reach a place near my home where some 'rowdy', 'illiterate', 'nonsense', 'eve teasers' and many more words to define them, kind of guys have rear ended the Activa of his 'humble and intelligent' daughter. She was riding with her friend who again is a very nice girl (as per uncle; actually she was lost in love world with her BF who was pillion on the scooter).

I reached the spot within 5 minutes, checked everything and the first thing I noticed was "no rear view mirrors on the Activa"!!

The car drivers were college students who had a more genuine story to share as compared to the girl; so we (me and the guys who accompanied me) simply asked them to leave, warned the girl over the things the couple can do in restaurants and parks. Bought her a set of new RVMs instantly and left the place (They were having very minor bruises, so no hospital scene there).

One week later when I saw the girl again, the scooter had both the RVMs; one was pointed in I don't know which direction and one was being leisurely pointed to wards her face so that she can check her face even on the move now!!
VKumar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 17:17   #26552
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, my heart skips a beat every time I see a young woman pull out into the right lane at speeds like 30kmph without even knowing how fast I might be travelling down the road. I keep thinking about how their husbands or boyfriends or parents or children might feel if they get hurt simply because they were not aware that it is imperative to understand how the vehicles around you are moving before hopping lanes. When most folks move about at speeds between 20-40kmph, even if one is travelling at 60 which is under the speed limit, they will seem like they are speeding in relation to these slow movers, because even 60kmph is 50% faster than 40.
I had a close encounter with a girl, who was parked on the sidewalk, and as I approached her, she suddenly enters the road without checking for any traffic. I braked hard, and that is when she sees me, there were a few passengers in her car, but none of them seemed concerned on the narrow escape. She gave me a blank look. I think only then was she aware there was a car on the right side. I just thanked my stars and continued on my way.
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 23:01   #26553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to play the skeptic here, no doubt that cabbie should have stopped and faced the music for his actions, but does your friend use her rear view mirrors? .

You are right being skeptic. And I can assure you that she is indeed a good rider who takes care of her vehicle and also rides safely. The first thing I asked her was did she check RVM's before overtaking and whether she was riding at a reasonable speed. She said she did check the RVM's and her speed was around 60-70kmph when overtaking (I am taking her word on this). She was in the middle of her overtaking maneuver when her vehicle was hit from behind. So I believe that either the cab guy was tailgating very close or there was a mistake from my friend. Without any proof the conclusion is not possible.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 16:33   #26554
BHPian

Six passengers die as bus rolls down gorge near Ooty in Tamil Nadu

Six passengers died and 28 others suffered injuries when a Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation bus they were travelling in rolled down a 100-foot deep gorge near Manthada on the Ooty-Coonoor road on Thursday.The bus was carrying around 40 passengers. It was going to Coimbatore from Ooty.
The injured were admitted to Ooty Government Hospital.

Its been raining heavily over there recently.

source : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64584565.cms
Old 14th June 2018, 17:07   #26555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
One week later when I saw the girl again, the scooter had both the RVMs; one was pointed in I don't know which direction and one was being leisurely pointed to wards her face so that she can check her face even on the move now!!
Actually the latest and in-vogue usage of the ORVM is to hang your helmet while driving!

Can't make out which is the more worst case - drive without a helmet or drive with the helmet resting on the ORVM all the time!
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 18:56   #26556
Senior - BHPian

https://www.rushlane.com/car-rams-in...-12271488.html

Quote:
The driver of the car lost control of the speeding car and went on to hit an autorickshaw with the driver running out of the vehicle to safety. A total of 5 persons were injured in the incident which could have turned very serious if the fuel in the dispenser had caught fire on impact.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 19:20   #26557
BHPian

Dzire and truck accident. If you know the service road stretch between Narsingi and TSPA junction, this is where it happened.
On the opposite side of the road in the rain water drain was a truck, that must have tried to avoid the car and ended up there. When ever I drive on this stretch I get really upset about the fact that no one stays in their lane. You are forced to move to the extreme left of right of the road to avoid oncoming traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2036.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2035.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2034.jpg  

Old 16th June 2018, 11:45   #26558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
You are right being skeptic. And I can assure you that she is indeed a good rider who takes care of her vehicle and also rides safely. The first thing I asked her was did she check RVM's before overtaking and whether she was riding at a reasonable speed. She said she did check the RVM's and her speed was around 60-70kmph when overtaking (I am taking her word on this). She was in the middle of her overtaking maneuver when her vehicle was hit from behind. So I believe that either the cab guy was tailgating very close or there was a mistake from my friend. Without any proof the conclusion is not possible.
My intention is not to pick on an injured person. However, overtaking on a bridge or flyover is inherently dangerous as they are usually narower, more slippery and can often have joints that are detrimental to safety. This is even more true for a two wheeler. In addition, 70 kmph is too high of a speed for a two wheeler, especially on a crowded road. If a larger vehicle like a car is proceeding at say 60 kmph, the two wheeler has no buisness to try and overtake it. If there is rain or wet roads and oncoming traffic along with fast moving traffic behind, then it is downright dangerous to drive so fast and cut across traffic. You have to remember that any little indention, a small rock or a patch of uneven tarmac can cause you to slip and you have no protection at all. You can easily get hit by vehicles around you in case you fall.

I hope the person recovery soon and hopefully learns to drive at a safer speed.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 11:58   #26559
BHPian

Embedding few videos I came across while just checking for Skoda Rapid reviews. Without prejudice this is how people,with even good reach, drive when it suits their purpose. In one of the videos we even see an Oncoming motor cycle almost pushed out of road.

u.be&t=3m20s

Last edited by aadya : 16th June 2018 at 11:59. Reason: correction
aadya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 18:56   #26560
BHPian

Not sure how. Saw this at the entry point of the ORR at APPA junction
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2093.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2092.jpg  

Old 20th June 2018, 13:16   #26561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
As much as I would like to believe that your friend is a good rider, but still I am compelled to believe it was her fault as well in this entire mishap.

She said she checked the RVM before overtaking but if she really did, then I am surprised how she missed the cabbie coming pretty fast. Because it is not possible that the car came out of nowhere. Maybe her mirrors weren't adjusted property leaving blind spots.

Also there are many drivers who don't look towards the left side of vehicles to spot vehicles closing in. The cab driver might be busy seeing straight ahead and didn't see the girl closing in.
Old 20th June 2018, 16:39   #26562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Maybe her mirrors weren't adjusted property leaving blind spots.
Without any of us having been there, all of this is mere conjecture on our part. With that pinch of salt ingested - I like that you brought up the topic of blind spots for 2 wheeler-riders.

Yes, RVMs are highly necessary for 2 wheelers, but they do not show everything behind the rider. Especially before changing lanes, just as you would in a car, 2 wheelers should in my opinion glance over their shoulder after checking their RVMs in order to clear their blind spots. People typically disregard the existence of blind spots for 2 wheelers since RVMs themselves are a rarity to start with; and you can't have any assorted blind spots without them! I guess that's why nobody talks about blind spots for riders.

And when we're talking about Royal Enfield Motorcyclists (except Thunderbird riders, who get the benefit of larger oval shaped mirrors), their puny and vibrating RVMs are of zero help to them. A swivelling neck and watchful senses is extra-necessary for all RE riders.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 20:55   #26563
BHPian

No Details how it happened. Judging by the damaged car and the lorry front axle, i assume it was the car which collided with the lorry. The car must have been doing some insane speed to dislodge the lorry front axle. Most of the damage is one the right side of the car. No news of the car occupants.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-3.jpg
Old 20th June 2018, 21:49   #26564
BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

I don't think it was cab which dislodged the front axle of truck, it was most likely the flyover wall, that starts in the fast lane on all ORR flyovers!

You could see significant damage to flyover wall as well.

My guess is, cab made a sudden change in direction & hit the truck from driver side, which pushed the truck to the wall.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st June 2018 at 15:08. Reason: Fixing small typo ;)
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 11:45   #26565
BHPian

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/more...home-topscroll

"The family of twenty were travelling in the overloaded jeep from Gwalior to Morena to attend the last rites of their relative. Just as the jeep took a turn in Morena's Ghurghan village, a sand-laden tractor coming from the opposite direction hit the jeep. So strong was the impact of the collision that the jeep was crushed and flipped upside down on the road. Police said ten of the people in the jeep died on the spot. All the victims are from Gwalior."

20 People in a jeep & a tractor carrying sand from illegal mining - I don't know if I should feel bad for the dead or get angry over mockery of laws & logic on Indian roads.

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 21st June 2018 at 11:46.
Engine_Roars is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks