Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2018, 15:09   #26566
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
The Volvo driver probably fell asleep at wheel, and entered the lane of an oncoming 40 ton Scania truck filled with gravel.
Great example on how a momentary lapse could cause a bigger accident. Glad that the driver and passengers came unhurt from the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Also I doubt the speed was 112kmph. It felt more like 80kmph.
I guess Rushlane was mentioning about the speed limit of the road, which is 70 mph, and not about the speed of the vehicle.
Old 21st June 2018, 16:11   #26567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
No Details how it happened.
According to Bangalore Mirror, the lorry was speeding. It hit and the divider and then fell on the car. The cab driver died on the spot.

Link
Old 21st June 2018, 21:41   #26568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
According to Bangalore Mirror, the lorry was speeding. It hit and the divider and then fell on the car. The cab driver died on the spot.

Link

This is the 3rd accident I have seen on the ORR from KR Puram to Hebbal Stretch, A truck crashed into another at 1 AM in the morning, the cabin suffered major damage. Another truck ran into the divider infront of the BEL office near Manyata, same day as the above.

The recent one mentioned in your link, the truck ran into the divider at very high speed, most of the load and the tuck fell on an Etios going towards Thannisandra, using the service road. I saw this accident site, the Etios was not even visible.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 22:09   #26569
BANNED

What is the most painful feeling for an enthusiast? To see / post his / her (if any) own car in this thread!!

Murphy's Law states the following:
"Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong"

Something similar happened to me on a recent trip which had multiple states, high passes, ice, water, snow, clouds, poor to no roads, water crossings and whatever horrific item you may think of.

What happened?
Let the picture below explain:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-crash.png

Back to Murphy's law:
What all can you expect to go wrong on a hilly road?
  • A state transport bus on a hilly route (they are already a pain even on expressways, imagine on a narrow hilly road)
  • A bus taking a corner at high speed
  • A bus overtaking a truck on the corner
  • A bus completely in wrong side around the corner
  • A bus approaching the corner without blowing horn
  • YOUR CAR ENTERING THE CORNER AT THE SAME MOMENT!!
  • The bus didn't even slowing down
  • The bus hitting your car and then run away
  • Your Dash-cam to be off at the same time!
What can go wrong, will go wrong; and it all went wrong at the same time with me.

Somewhere on a narrow road of Himanchal pradesh, I was leisurely driving my car at a really slow pace (30-40 kph), blowing horn at every single turn and strictly following "first you sir" rule for letting others pass by stopping my car wherever I got the opportunity. Now this is a speciality of 90% of the drivers at least, neither they blow the horn on blind turns, nor they blow back when you do! Hence I was a bit extra careful too.

The Wicked HPRTC (Himanchal Pradesh Road Transport Corporation)
Now, as it can be seen in the picture posted above; this guy was overtaking a truck on a straight stretch, that was neither straight enough, nor long enough to pull out a clean overtake. Hence he was fast (As they say, overtake as fast as you can - well, he was right at his point then) and was probably right in trying to do it very fast (I was at the wrong place at a wrong time).

While doing this maneuver, he had approached the turn (right hand side blind corner, probably 240 degree turn or maybe even more), neither he blew any horn nor was he attentive if anyone can be there on the other side. I blew my horn but didn't get any response (My car has windtones), so I entered the corner keeping my car on my side and that's when I had that magical moment (Wow!! I have a hill, a cliff, a bus and a truck... what a confusion, what shall I drive into?)

I applied hard brake and gave a very quick steering input towards left and then heard a sound like 'BAM'!

My car literally jumped around 6 inches and my left front tyre landed in a roadside pit, the left ORVM hit the hill and said goodbye to me (Oh yes, he was swinging) and my right ORVM was already smashed by the bus, and he was gone too.

Let some more pictures do the talking now:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180618-11.20.39.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180618-11.20.55.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180618-11.20.56.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180618-11.20.391.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180618-11.20.551.jpeg

What I liked about the Ecosport is the way it took the impact. And this particular crash has made me believe that I took a very very wise decision by not going with some fuel efficient SUV (Yes, Vitara Brezza) and took something whose sheet metal itself is strong enough that no impact easily reaches inside to the main parts.

For once I was surprised to see that it's only and solely the front quarter panel which has literally taken the hit from the rear wheel arch of the bus, and faced the force that was strong enough to entirely deflect the car to its left. There is absolutely zero damage to any criritcal components and all the damage is focussed to is:
  • Front bumper
  • Both ORVMs
  • Front right hand side headlamp and foglamp (Indicator)
  • Front right quarter panel
Nothing else, absolutely nothing. The car was driven to Delhi and then to Meerut in same condition and it worked perfectly (Got it inspected at Saluja ford, Solan).

Does sheet metal play it's role? Well, after multiple such experiences; I would say that even if it doesn't, it still takes a lot of the impact; if the manufacturer is not someone who sells the FE. I don't want fuel efficient cars which easily get ripped apart, my baby took a kick from a bus and still brought me home, I got what I paid the money for (Safety).

I rest my case, thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
If I was in your shoes, i would gun down to find him, as after hitting he did not care to stop!
Actually I couldn't for two reasons:
1) My car was stuck for say 1 minute and my driver side door was jammed against the quarter panel until I opened it with a hard blow and it made a loud thud sound.
2) I saw the impact and I was suspecting that maybe the impact is transferred to wheel hub or knuckle and a rupture may occur -you will never want to have a dislodged wheel while driving fast on a narrow hilly road.

Hence, as a precaution; I decided to let him go as neither I could identify the bus (there are hundreds on them on the route while look exactly same) nor I wanted to take the risk of driving a dmaaged car fast on a narrow hilly road.

Last edited by VKumar : 21st June 2018 at 22:33.
VKumar is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 22:23   #26570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
What is the most painful feeling for an enthusiast? To see / post his / her (if any) own car in this thread!!
I feel you bro, I was in a similar situation when i was traveling from Mumbai to Goa via Gaganbavda. But by Gods grace I could manage to get the car off the road on the left hand side in just right time. I was barely doing 40-50 on a straight road, and their was a right turn from were a double axle Volvo was overtaking a truck. They have careless attitude while overtaking, they think this road is not used by much hence it will be clear.

If I was in your shoes, i would gun down to find him, as after hitting he did not care to stop! Applaud to keeping your cool. Hate to see a car being damaged due to stupidness of others.

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 21st June 2018 at 22:40.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 00:25   #26571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
... just as you would in a car, 2 wheelers should in my opinion glance over their shoulder after checking their RVMs in order to clear their blind spots...
Totally agree that RVMs are necessary for every vehicle including 2 wheelers. I was at times ridiculed for wearing what seemed like an over size helmet when I started riding on a moped and the amount of attention I paid to having the RVMs properly aligned. This has kept me in good stead for my 25 years of riding. I strongly recommend managing situational awareness, but IMHO the guidance to "glance over the shoulder" seems like a dangerous exercise...
Old 22nd June 2018, 02:29   #26572
BHPian

Quote:
I can understand the pain you are going through. But, on a lighter note, I have to say your narration of the incident was quite hilarious.

Anyway, glad you and the other passengers are safe. Hope you get your car back in it's original condition real soon. Cheers!
Old 22nd June 2018, 05:37   #26573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowNew7 View Post
Totally agree that RVMs are necessary for every vehicle including 2 wheelers...but IMHO the guidance to "glance over the shoulder" seems like a dangerous exercise...
I am open to learning something new everyday!

I am of the opinion that blind spots will exist with most RVMs, 2 wheelers' included. Of course, I only suggest glancing over the shoulder to clear the rider's 4 O'clock and 7 O'clock positions before changing lanes. This would only require a slight swiveling of the neck.

The bigger blind spot at the rider's 6 O'clock can't and shouldn't be helped by turning one's head, just as with when driving 4 wheelers.
Old 22nd June 2018, 06:52   #26574
Distinguished - BHPian

@vkumar I like your style and humor of narration despite such potentially horrific incident. Thank God you are safe.

I would suggest write email to HPRTC describing the incident location and time. From this they should be able to work out the bus and driver involved. Keeping silent is to sin further in letting a errant driver go scot free. He can be cause of further tragedies. I know it will take effort and time but it's worth. You can find the contact details on their web pages.
sudev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:58   #26575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
If I was in your shoes, i would gun down to find him
Never ever do that please. Hills and rage is a bad combination!
avingodb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 08:30   #26576
BHPian

Quote:
Good to see that you are safe and sturdy build qualify of Ford had literally held up to its expectations.

This incident of yours reminds me of similar situation which I was in sometime last year and only difference was it was night and we both could stop in time. You were know many things can go wrong but lucky for me things didn`t go wrong on that day

Last edited by DragonHawk : 22nd June 2018 at 08:35.
DragonHawk is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 08:37   #26577
BHPian

Grand I-10 hits parked lorry, loses structural integrity, all of the family die. Incident happened in state of Telangana. RIP.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Last edited by MercFan : 22nd June 2018 at 08:39.
MercFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 10:07   #26578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Good to see that you are safe and sturdy build qualify of Ford had literally held up to its expectations.

This incident of yours reminds me of similar situation which I was in sometime last year and only difference was it was night and we both could stop in time. You were know many things can go wrong but lucky for me things didn`t go wrong on that day
I believe this is the dreaded Gundya-Uppinangadi route? I traveled "N" times in this section well past 11PM and even now its scary as hell. Thanks to night service buses to Bangalore. For these buses anything post 11, the road becomes race track and expect no vehicles from opposite direction. I ensure to honk continuously on every turn here,despite which everytime I have atleast one bus coming in wrong side.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 10:57   #26579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Gods were with you.

Though constant high beam should be avoided.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:58   #26580
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
narration of the incident was quite hilarious
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@vkumar I like your style and humor of narration despite such potentially horrific incident.
What to say gentlemen, when I was getting the car inspected after the hit, I was also standing and laughing while I was thinking about that scene.

Imagine it man, you are enjoying a song, driving leisurely and suddenly in the mid of a corner you have a truck being overtaken by a bus which have covered the entire road and you have hardly the space of a motorcycle to squeeze your Ecosport into. Add to this, the bus is coming downhill and it's already impossible for it to stop.

Heck, let me make a change in one line I wrote above:
"It was a magical moment, I was confused over what to drive into - I had a cliff, a hill, a bus and a truck, yes so many options; but no road"

Quote:
Thank God you are safe.
Thankfully I was on the hill side, if i was on the cliffside then the story may have been different (Or may haven't been at all, no story teller - no story, simple). The speed wasn't as high, but yes; the impact was real hard and I was not expecting the Ecosport to stay driveable any more - she surprised me.

Quote:
I would suggest write email to HPRTC describing the incident location and time.
Done and not expecting any revert from their end.

Quote:
Seriously man, this baby from Ford has taken the impact better than I expected it to take. Many may look and say that it's just a fender bender but it was a lot more. Front bumper, fog lamp, quarter panel, and ORVM broke - the car literally hit the bus near the rear wheel and got very hardly deflected towards the hill side, from my past experiences; I wasn't expecting that mechanicals of the left front tyre and internals will be perfect; but heck, even the coolant bottle etc everything was simply intact - that's how strong sheet metal makes the difference; it just got bent but didn't get torn apart to let the impact reach internals.

Quote:
This incident of yours reminds me of similar situation which I was in sometime last year and only difference was it was night and we both could stop in time.
Luckily the bus driver was in the middle of the overtake in your case, had he completed say 80% of it (like mine), then maybe he would have tried to pull it out completely. but yes, the bus driven in your case seems to be attentive too. You are lucky there or maybe because this wasn't a state transport bus :-D

I can also notice that there was no space for you to maneuver in the left, you are indeed lucky then!

Ford India Is Really Funny!!

I shared the link to this post with Anurag and a few fellow Ecosport owners and then this followed:
Name:  anurag.PNG
Views: 7830
Size:  12.5 KB

Anurag happily gave a word of thanks but I guess the customer service teams don't even bother to read the e-mail sent by the customer. they simply search for the dealership name in the e-mail and add it to the complaints!

Look at their yet another goof up:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-custmail.png

They not only filed my e-mail of appreciation which read "I am impressed with the way the Orchid Ford team is handling the car and the quality of workmanship", as a complaint by the customer, but also asked the dealer for an explanation - for which they called me surprised asking me "sir we have been updating you daily and the car will be ready today, why you filed a complaint?"

Ford India needs to understand that customer service is a very fragile kind of relation making job and over interaction is at times more dangerous than not interacting with the customer at all.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2018 at 13:43. Reason: Removing 3rd smiley as per the rules :)
VKumar is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed