Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2018, 09:35   #26626
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
this pic depicts a simple rule, which is not followed often
But the in the joint seen at the rear of the car is proper. I think the material shearing off easily is the main issue. Using vertical members with less gap might solve this issue but it will be way more expensive and time-consuming.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 6th July 2018 at 09:36.
Old 6th July 2018, 09:38   #26627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Video of a 6 year old hit by a car in Muzafarnagar, UP.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e=facebook.com
This is my biggest fear on Indian roads - someone loses their life through their own stupidity, and I pay an unreasonable price for a life they never valued in the first place.

Simply from the video, I can't tell whether the car was over or under the speed limit (contrary to the media with their "speeding car" branding), but I do know that even at legal city speeds, no driver could've avoided this sort of an incident - if it were an adult, it would seem that the pedestrian wanted this to happen.

Certainly, a child will not have a fully developed pre-frontal cortex for making the right decision (same reason why 18 year olds drive so idiotically), and will likely not have had the experience to have developed the requisite judgement for gauging the time and distance - so it's not that I'm blaming the "victim" here. One could possibly broach the subjects of lack of awareness, supervision and education.

But the way I see it, the driver's the victim here. On top of everything else, it's easy to intellectualise stuff like I am doing, but there's a good chance that such an incident would weigh on the average human's conscience, no matter how the blame is apportioned.
Mu009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 09:39   #26628
BHPian

Quote:
Video of a 6 year old hit by a car in Muzafarnagar, UP.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e=facebook.com

It is distressing to see how the headline implicates the car driver, despite the fact that he was not at fault at all. The girl has jumped out on to a wide open road from a raised divider which definitely prevented the driver from seeing her as well. Responsibility lies with the girl's parents for not watching over her. It is almost impossible for the car driver to avoid collision.
shaktisarangi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 09:51   #26629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
It is almost impossible for the car driver to avoid collision.
Adding to that, the girl was in a blind-spot due to the electric pole & the divider. It would have been almost impossible spotting her.
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 10:08   #26630
BHPian

Quote:
Adding to that, the girl was in a blind-spot due to the electric pole & the divider. It would have been almost impossible spotting her.
And that is exactly why I am against the idea of growing plants on the divider. Most barricades on the dividers also have advertising boards hanging on them. You cannot see what is happening on the other side of the road. The bushes/advertising boards etc, can easily hide a child or an animal who will decide to run across when it is just too late. The only advantage I see is that they offer some sort of protection from the headlights on the other side of the road. If a vehicle were to jump the divider and come straight at you, you wouldn't know until it is too late to take any avoiding action.

In this video, I have a feeling that if there had not been so many contraptions blocking his view, the driver could have spotted the child running across to the divider from the other side of the road from a good distance. It does appear to me that the vehicle was indeed moving quite fast. I would have given the driver the benefit of doubt, but the fact that the cops are looking for the driver implies that he may not have stopped to help the poor child, even if it was fear of being lynched.

It is sad to see a little child become a victim of such apathy, either from her parents or her guardian. Poor thing! Hope she recovers quickly.

Last edited by SCORPION : 6th July 2018 at 10:20.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 10:13   #26631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
You cannot see what is happening on the other side of a road. The bushes/advertising boards etc, can easily hide a child or an animal who will decide to run across when it is just too late.
It has happened to me. 6 years ago, when I was driving from Kolkata to Puri, at a place called Soro, the bushes were as tall as a truck. A cow was resting inside the bush & suddenly decided to jump onto the fastest lane. Had to to take an emergency evasive maneuver to avoid hitting it head on. The right side ORVM wasn't so lucky, it brushed the cow & broke.
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 10:22   #26632
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure how this happened but today morning at 7:35 on NICE road, just before Bhannerghatta road, coming from Mysore road ride, saw this new Swift overturned on the central median. The driver was still inside and the highway patrol was helping the driver get out. Airbags had inflated. So it must have happened just a few minutes before we reached there. No other vehicle was seen that was involved in this accident. My co passenger took this picture.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180706_073528.jpg
Old 6th July 2018, 10:42   #26633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
And that is exactly why I am against the idea of growing plants on the divider.
True! Growing bushes on the highways are not good. The centre median should have a fence rather than bushes to avoid vehicles crossing over and coming to a wrong lane.
Many a times, drivers sleep and their vehicles cross the divider and comes on to wrong lane creating head-on collisions.
deemash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 10:53   #26634
BHPian

Quote:
It is distressing to see how the headline implicates the car driver, despite the fact that he was not at fault at all. The girl has jumped out on to a wide open road from a raised divider which definitely prevented the driver from seeing her as well. Responsibility lies with the girl's parents for not watching over her. It is almost impossible for the car driver to avoid collision.
Quote:
If the pedestrian is breaking the traffic rule, the car driver cannot be at fault. Like the US where you can get fined for not crossing the road as per traffic rules. That said and done, defensive driving would have helped in this case
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 11:28   #26635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
If the pedestrian is breaking the traffic rule, the car driver cannot be at fault. Like the US where you can get fined for not crossing the road as per traffic rules. That said and done, defensive driving would have helped in this case
I am not sure what defensive driving could have been done here. The only defensive driving is probably to go at very slow speed at all times, looking at the dangers that we face each time. Or better, use public transport only. I feel very sorry for the car driver, and hope that he gets out of this mess. He will be scarred for life, I suppose though. I would be.
arvind71181 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 12:28   #26636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Zigzagging Hyundai Eon collides with an oncoming truck.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is a very old video, at least 2 years back and happened in Gujarat.
Link to the last time it was discussed here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-s...ml#post4225328
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 11:34   #26637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
this pic depicts a simple rule, which is not followed often
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
If you see the picture of the accident after zooming, just outside the rear screen you can make...
Often things are designed and executed the way they are supposed to be but there will always be that element of surprise. This car could have found itself in an unfortunate location where a previous accident has left the guard rail exposed. In most cases, post accident repairs are far from actual specs.

Quote:
It is distressing to see how the headline implicates the car driver, despite the fact that he was not at fault at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I am not sure what defensive driving could have been done here.
Defensive driving in this case would have been to spot blind spots and drive accordingly. However in this case there seems to be a short wall as well on the median which the child takes some time to cross over. It's beyond anyone's scope of understanding why the child would choose to jump over when a perfectly marked Pedestrian Crossing is placed right in the vicinity.

Not many drivers even at 40 kph would be able to avoid this mishap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Not sure how this happened but today morning at 7:35 on NICE road, just before Bhannerghatta road,...
Its a common occurrence on this road. Early morning and empty stretches prompt many drivers to stretch their right foot. With a gentle bend here that slopes downhill for a straight stretch after the overbridge, any car at a high rate of speed can fall prey to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20180707-11.25.04-am.jpg  

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 13:25   #26638
BHPian

I came across this video clip on twitter - shows how important helmet is for motorcycle riders.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1015161432311259136

This motorcycle rider tries to squeeze in the gap in between the truck and divider, ends up falling in front of the truck's rear wheel. The truck's rear wheel goes above his head, and he comes out without any scratches, thanks to his helmet. Else could've been ugly.

Tweet's link if the link above doesn't work correctly.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th July 2018 at 13:45. Reason: Crazy! Adding link to youtube video too...
LordSharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 13:56   #26639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Not sure how this happened but today morning at 7:35 on NICE road, just before Bhannerghatta road, coming from Mysore road ride, saw this new Swift overturned on the central median.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Its a common occurrence on this road. Early morning and empty stretches prompt many drivers to stretch their right foot. With a gentle bend here that slopes downhill for a straight stretch after the overbridge, any car at a high rate of speed can fall prey to this.
Some car may fall prey to this more than others. Had driven the new swift a month back (for those from Bangalore - from Domlur bridge to towards Kormangala sony signal, with long high speed bends), drove the car little enthusiastically at one of the bend and the front axle shifted to next lane, getting me completely in the next lane. The car is extremely light and not suitable for highway drives.
arighna.dutta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 14:39   #26640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Some car may fall prey to this more than others. Had driven the new swift a month back (for those from Bangalore - from Domlur bridge to towards Kormangala sony signal, with long high speed bends), drove the car little enthusiastically at one of the bend and the front axle shifted to next lane, getting me completely in the next lane. The car is extremely light and not suitable for highway drives.
You entered the corner too hot and drifted on to the next lane and then blaming the car for that? Heard about a concept called 'understeer'?

How did you deduce that this is caused due to the weight of the car and how did you certify the highway worthiness?

Last edited by Added_flavor : 7th July 2018 at 14:41.
Added_flavor is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed