Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 11:01   #26926
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accident in Kerala - biker loses his life

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
...All 3 should be booked IMO.
Unfortunately the bike rider lost his life. Most of the interior roads in Kerala has poor visibility of roads that merge at junctions because of the trees and vegetation etc. With the increasing number of cars and two wheelers, accidents and loss of life have increased in Kerala. In my own native village for many many years, we had lost just one young person to a bike accident. Most people would travel by public transport. But in the last 5-6 years, we have lost around 7-8 people to accidents, most of which happened close to our village itself.
Old 9th August 2018, 13:58   #26927
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post

The freewheeling trailer then hit two cars and an SUV with such force that the SUV was flung into air and landed on top of another car.
Not sure how to believe in the above statement mentioned in the article. Look at the bonnet of the Vento. Its pulled back and pasted to the windshield. Anyone can easily make out that the vento would have rear ended into the duster which caused this. I really dont see how a vehicle flying could cause this.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 14:10   #26928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Unfortunately the bike rider lost his life.
That's really unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Anyone can easily make out that the vento would have rear ended into the duster which caused this.
There was a truck behind the Honda and a truck in front of the duster. The Vento is wedged under the duster due to it's lower nose and the the Duster's higher rear end. The compression resulting from the truck at the back would have generated enough force to drive the Vento under the Duster just like a triangular wedge being hit by a hammer. The rear end of the Duster would bounce in this case and land on the car behind after it has successfully been moved under it due to the impact.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 14:14   #26929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
The Vento is wedged under the duster due to it's lower nose and the the Duster's higher rear end. The compression resulting from the truck at the back would have generated enough force to drive the Vento under the Duster just like a triangular wedge being hit by a hammer. The rear end of the Duster would bounce in this case and land on the car behind after it has successfully been moved under it due to the impact.
Exactly and that is why the bonnet of the vento is in the way it is. If the duster actually flew to land where it is, then the bonnet cover would not have pulled back. This is the reason why I feel the "flying" statement could be a bit misleading
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 16:32   #26930
Senior - BHPian

Received this on whatsapp, many may argue that this is crumple-zone in action, but please have a look at the VW Vento in the previous page for reference.

Ciaz is one of the best cars in the segment, offering full size sedan at affordable price, built seems to be the biggest negative.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180810wa0007.jpg  

giri1.8 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 16:54   #26931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Received this on whatsapp, many may argue that this is crumple-zone in action, but please have a look at the VW Vento in the previous page for reference.

Ciaz is one of the best cars in the segment, offering full size sedan at affordable price, built seems to be the biggest negative.
While the Ciaz might be the best sedan I think the Tiago has taken the accident really well. The bumper has taken the impact. Everything else seems fine. There is a mark or sentence on the hatch door. But it could have been a lot worse.

Last edited by bigben : 10th August 2018 at 16:56.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 17:31   #26932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
While the Ciaz might be the best sedan I think the Tiago has taken the accident really well. The bumper has taken the impact. Everything else seems fine. There is a mark or sentence on the hatch door. But it could have been a lot worse.
Somehow, I am not able to agree to your statement. And I am not able to give right reason for my disagreement.

if it was head on collision and same amount of dent on both vehicles, then, probably, you are right.

But, since this is a push impact on the vehicle in the front(A vehicle which is travelling almost at same velocity or slightly less), will the impact of Ciaz big enough to create a big dent in Tata car?

But, again, then, how did Ciaz get such a big dent? I am actually not able to get right logic :(
Old 10th August 2018, 19:00   #26933
Distinguished - BHPian

Ciaz may be the best VFM c2 sedan. But build quality is definitely the Achilles heel of the car. I own a ciaz and I can tell you it is tinny. The fact it got 4 stars in ASEAN NCAP surprises me. But again, there is an argument it is an Indonesian model which may or may not have had structural enhancements over our Indian ones.

BTW, kudos to Tiago. I guess it's the cheapest safe car in market today (overtaking etios and polo). Let's hope it performs as expected in crash tests.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 21:18   #26934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
... the Tiago has taken the accident really well. The bumper has taken the impact. Everything else seems fine.
Damages to the Tiago can be quite non-apparent in such a scenario. No question, it has taken the impact well.

The Ciaz has hit the rear bumper immediately behind the rear wheel of the Tiago. All the force of the impact has been transferred to the right wheel, the suspension and rear axle of the Tiago, these members are quite rigid and have resulted in the significant deformation of the Ciaz's front (which is much softer by design).

Though, the damage are not externally visible in the Tiago, some of those rigid underlying tyre/suspension/axle components would have got damaged and would in high probability need replacements.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th August 2018 at 21:34.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 23:57   #26935
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

At the risk of re-excavating the dead body of an already beaten to death topic, allow me to make one comment on the ciaz v tiago accident pic. Agreed that crumple zones are meant to crumble, but critically, beyond a certain threshold force. If the force is lesser than threshold, the elasticity of the bumper should absorb the force and bounce back to shape (energy of small hit is used up by the layers of molecules in flexing and unflexing, much like a punching bag used by boxers - only beyond a force will the punching bag move back like a pendulum) The rear bumper of the tiago has not even deformed properly or its clips come off. The threshold for it to crumple is higher than the front of the ciaz. Just because it is called crumple zone doesn't mean the build threshold should be so low that it must deform like cardboard at the slightest touch. MS is just using "crumple zone" as a lame excuse to justify poor build and hence save cost, weight and market fuel efficiency.
venkyhere is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 00:08   #26936
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
because it is called crumple zone doesn't mean the build threshold should be so low that it must deform like cardboard at the slightest touch. MS is just using "crumple zone" as a lame excuse to justify poor build and hence save cost, weight and market fuel efficiency.
I agree with you here. MS is advertising their products in a way that it is able to influence the mass segment of car buyers. I always think that what will be the impact on these cardboard cars under high speed crashes, provided that such small crashes cause this much of the damage?
Here, even the car buyers are to be blamed. Everyone gives importance to 'Kitna deti hai?' factor and no one really takes into consideration the security aspect of a car. I always say, even if you are seeing a car in large numbers on the roads, this does not mean that the car will be good. If Amaze is selling on such high numbers, it does not mean that this car is made brilliantly. I agree that no car is perfect, but cars like Amaze, Baleno, Swift, etc are made with inferior built quality, low grade sheet metal, low quality plastics, etc. I come across so many owners who bought a hot seller but are now fed up with their car. A similar thread was live on Team Bhp a few weeks ago regarding a MS Baleno.

Last edited by _nitink_ : 11th August 2018 at 00:09.
Old 11th August 2018, 10:03   #26937
Senior - BHPian

Today morning came across this strange accident near my home in Anand City.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 11:33   #26938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post

Attachment 1789153

Attachment 1789154

Attachment 1789156

Attachment 1789155
Looks like the truck has hit a protruding log which got into the cabin and it got dragged with the truck. This has led to the trailer turning over. This type of overloading is quite common everywhere, loading stuff way beyond the length of trailer, like steel rods.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 19:21   #26939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Sheesh! Reminds me of that scene from that Final Destination movie. Thank god it was not a car, else that log would have pulverized the passengers!
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 23:11   #26940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nitink_ View Post
... I always think that what will be the impact on these cardboard cars under high speed crashes, provided that such small crashes cause this much of the damage?
The rear bumper in today's cars almost always sits on the rear cross member (or whatever is the technical name for it) of the car's chassis. There are no crumple zones here. So a hit on this means the vehicle hitting the rear bumper is going to take the full force of the car on its front. Sort of like hitting a wall.

So logically one expects that the damage will be more obvious and visible to the rear vehicle.

Just out of curiosity I searched on YouTube and found this:

This very nicely sums up the role of the crumple zones.

Now I am thinking to myself: A manufacturer that is being bashed left and right for making unsafe cars has got the crumple zones right, actually delivered a safe car, and is now being bashed for that very fact as to why that crumple zone crumpled and why so much.

I just wonder what would happen if Maruti adopted the safety strategy of the erstwhile Hindustan Motors orthe Force Motors whose 'safety feature' includes a huge metallic mass called the engine, which will most likely intrude into the passenger compartment and crush one with its sheer mass.

I am no technical expert, but if my car has a crumple zone and I have a collision in the vicinity of that zone, I would rather that zone crumpled as it was meant to be, and not show off its strength by pushing the impact onto the passenger cabin. Heck, put a cardboard there if it makes a better crumple zone, but save me!
honeybee is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed