Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2018, 00:47   #26941
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Now I am thinking to myself: A manufacturer that is being bashed left and right for making unsafe cars has got the crumple zones right, actually delivered a safe car, and is now being bashed for that very fact as to why that crumple zone crumpled and why so much.
This is exactly the psychology MSIL is taking advantage of. There is something called front crash bar which is a horizontal metal bar (softer metal than chassis members) which is supposed to absorb the impact before imparting the shock to the chassis. If the same damage were to happen with a vento/linea (cars of the same segment), for them to have equal damage, the speed would need to be higher, they too will have undisturbed passenger cage, they too have crumple zones, but a bit more beefier.

The closest analogy I can think of is of the box a brand new TV arrives in. Would you prefer the cardboard box to be made of strong cardboard (specifically made for home appliances) that does not flex much, if pressed with a finger ; or would you rather have the box to be made of the same grade of cardboard that the home delivery of online purchase of (say) a usb stick ? Because technically, both have crumple-zone in them - one made of (thick cardboard + thermocol + bubble wrap) and the other made of (thin cardboard + bubble wrap).

Last edited by venkyhere : 12th August 2018 at 00:49.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 07:05   #26942
Distinguished - BHPian

Methinks discussion for and against crumple zones could be taken elsewhere along with which manufacturer is better or worse.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 10:28   #26943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Methinks discussion for and against crumple zones could be taken elsewhere along with which manufacturer is better or worse.

I agree. This discussion warrants a separate dedicated page. It will help spread awareness and will also be informative in depth.
Old 12th August 2018, 10:57   #26944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
There is a dormant thread that could be revived.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ple-zones.html
Old 13th August 2018, 11:46   #26945
Senior - BHPian

A rider who was riding along with a group on Gurgoan expressway met with an accident and has died. He was riding a Hayabusa and collided with a reversing trailer. The speed of the bike according to the police was around 200kmph. RIP.

Source : NDTV
Attached Images

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th August 2018 at 11:54. Reason: Formatting
Old 13th August 2018, 12:05   #26946
Senior - BHPian

I heard about a gruesome accident on Bangalore-Mysore highway, near Mandya, yesterday. Two youths were hit by a truck and got caught in the wheel.

Apparently, they were dragged for over 250 meters, and were pulverised!!

Any additional info/reports on this?
Old 13th August 2018, 12:05   #26947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
A rider who was riding along with a group on Gurgoan expressway met with an accident and has died.
Another weekend and another rider. May his soul rest in peace.

I really want to see a tribe that believes in riding than riding on a weekend just because he picked a super good bike. This is the story of weekends nowadays and things wont change.

While there are many safer rider around my own known circle, I was taken aback by an erstwhile colleague nearly in his 60s pick up a Triump from the used market and when I asked what made him to that today, he said 'I will join one of the groups and go for ride on weekends'

Quote:
He was riding a Hayabusa and collided with a reversing trailer. The speed of the bike according to the police was around 200kmph. RIP.
We are perhaps the best (and quick) investigators when it comes to such crashes. Either the max limit on the Speedo dial or the needle position defines the speed at the time of accident - Car or bike irrespective .
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 13:27   #26948
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday, a neighbor in my apartment-complex was about to turn his Ford Aspire into our entrance from the street when his cousin opened the rear passenger door abruptly. A speeding two-wheeler was struck and they fell. They were quick to call the cops.

A spectacle unfolded in our residential street where my neighbor was talking to the cops and the two-wheeler riders tried to escalate the situation. A cop was berating my neighbor loudly. I even heard one of the fallen riders loudly calling up a "thalaivar" (some political goon) on his mobile. I didn't have the heart to stick around and add to the poor guy's ignominy so I went away from the scene. There was quite a crowd already and he had family around to back him up.

This kind of harassment is just a reminder of the many dangers that await car owners in India. The bigger vehicle's owner/driver is alone at fault, regardless of why the 2 wheeler was speeding in a narrow residential street, despite seeing a car about to turn with its indicators on and even if a passenger unknowingly contributed to the incident.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 13:56   #26949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Yesterday, a neighbor in my apartment-complex was about to turn his Ford Aspire into our entrance from the street when his cousin opened the rear passenger door abruptly.
It may help us understand the situation better if you could let know if the car was turning right or left into the apartment along with info on which side door was open abruptly.
Old 13th August 2018, 13:57   #26950
Senior - BHPian

Mathrubhumi has published the CCTV footage of this morning's Kottiyam accident, in which a KeSRTC bus collided head-on with a truck.

The bus was an overnighter from Mananthavady to Thiruvananthapuram apparently.

Three people died in the accident (the two drivers involved and the conductor of the bus).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 14:11   #26951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
It may help us understand the situation better if you could let know if the car was turning right or left into the apartment along with info on which side door was open abruptly.
You're right - apologies for missing out on details.

The car was going to be turned to the right to enter our parking lot from the street and my neighbor at the wheel of the car was waiting for the motorcycle to pass. He had the turn indicators on and upon spotting the approaching motorcycle in the RVMs, he was waiting. His cousin in the backseat opened the rear door on the right exactly when the motorcycle was passing by.
Old 13th August 2018, 14:29   #26952
BHPian

If the door was opened exactly as the bike was riding by then the element of over-speeding (needs to be defined better in terms of approx speed) is a moot point. Even if the bike was going by at 30 kmph, they would not have been able to avoid the impact especially as they would be least expecting the door to be opened up in the middle of the turn procedure. I would say that a large part of the blame does indeed lie with the car occupant who opened the door when it was not expected.
Hells Bells is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 14:37   #26953
BHPian

Quote:
You're right - apologies for missing out on details.

The car was going to be turned to the right to enter our parking lot from the street and my neighbor at the wheel of the car was waiting for the motorcycle to pass. He had the turn indicators on and upon spotting the approaching motorcycle in the RVMs, he was waiting. His cousin in the backseat opened the rear door on the right exactly when the motorcycle was passing by.
Thanks for the clarification. Was there room on the left of the car where the bike could have passed the car?

If the door was opened even the bike was close to the car, it may not have given time for the biker to stop the vehicle. So, the speed of the two wheeler may not be very significant in this case.

If there was room on the left, it is better to either stop behind the vehicle that is turning off, and then carry on, or, if the road was clear, to pass on the left, since this car was intending to turn right.

I have encountered people who want to pass the vehicle in front on the side that it is turning. Additionally, it is not uncommon to have people pass from the rear of a vehicle that is moving backwards and from the front when moving forward when one is doing a 3,5,x point turn.

swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 14:53   #26954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
If the door was opened exactly as the bike was riding by then the element of over-speeding (needs to be defined better in terms of approx speed) is a moot point. Even if the bike was going by at 30 kmph, they would not have been able to avoid the impact especially as they would be least expecting the door to be opened up in the middle of the turn procedure. I would say that a large part of the blame does indeed lie with the car occupant who opened the door when it was not expected.
Hmm, I see your point. The speed does become moot and immaterial, as it gets subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Was there room on the left of the car where the bike could have passed the car?
There was no room on the left of the car. That's how narrow the street is at that point, as there's some utility pole on the left.

Quote:
If there was room on the left, it is better to either stop behind the vehicle that is turning off, and then carry on, or, if the road was clear, to pass on the left, since this car was intending to turn right.

I have encountered people who want to pass the vehicle in front on the side that it is turning. Additionally, it is not uncommon to have people pass from the rear of a vehicle that is moving backwards and from the front when moving forward when one is doing a 3,5,x point turn.

That's my shared frustration as well. The way 2 wheelers want to keep pressing on even when they see a bigger vehicle wanting to take a turn or a 3 point turn. It's like they have a free pass.
Old 13th August 2018, 14:57   #26955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, a neighbor in my apartment-complex was about to turn his Ford Aspire into our entrance from the street when his cousin opened the rear passenger door abruptly. A speeding two-wheeler was struck and they fell....
Article 24 of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic states:
Quote:
It shall be prohibited to open the door of a vehicle, to leave it open, or to alight from the vehicle without having made sure that to do so cannot endanger other road-users.
Your neighbour's cousin was wrong to open the door without making sure of whether it was safe to do so. Speed of motorcycle was a moot point. Additionally, if your neighbour had indicated to turn right and then waited to give way to the motorcycle to pass on the right, it was reasonable for the motorcycle rider to assume that he could pass safely.

Having said that, motorcycle rider should have attempted to pass to the left of the car turning right. It used to be a rule enforced in India. I doubt if traffic police know about it any more.
EDIT: Since there was no space to the left, if I was riding the motorcycle I would have waited for the car to complete the right turn. I am also the very rare exception who uses the brain while on the road.

Disclaimer: India is not a signatory of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Other notable non-signatories include USA, Canada, China, and Australia.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 13th August 2018 at 15:01. Reason: Added to the second paragraph
KiloAlpha is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed