Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2018, 20:25   #27151
Senior - BHPian

Sunil, the son of owner of Sri Durgamba Motors, who have fleet operating out of Kundapura died in a road accident near Namakkal in TN. Details are sketchy, so not posting anything until confirmed.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1536936877746.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1536936891726.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1536936906208.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 21:01   #27152
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Sunil, the son of owner of Sri Durgamba Motors, who have fleet operating out of Kundapura died in a road accident near Namakkal in TN. Details are sketchy, so not posting anything until confirmed.

If there is a casualty in the front seats, then they probably are not belted. The front cabin is totally intact. Time and again I remind people to belt up and wear the helmets on a bike. Alas! This is as much as I can do.
Looks like the dual airbags have worked. Not sure where the fatality was from ? Probably no curtain airbags on the Pajero ?

Was he seated at the rear and the roof collapsed ?

Looks like the car hit the divider and toppled and is on the wrong side of the road ?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 14th September 2018 at 21:21.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 22:14   #27153
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
As per the ticket conductor, who is in the hospital, there were about 115 people in the bus and he issued ticket to 96 people just before the accident.
My heart goes out to the family members of the deceased.

115 passengers in a bus that can legally seat only 55! Isn't that a perfect recipe for disaster? It is a shame that in spite of our tall claims of progress, people are forced to travel in metallic coffins, packed like sardines.

In the 90s, for want of better alternatives, I have myself travelled on the roof of Government buses a couple of times. Looking back, I wonder how I survived those dangerous journeys.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 07:50   #27154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

Looks like the car hit the divider and toppled and is on the wrong side of the road ?
According to today's newspaper reports, a cyclist crossed in front of the Pajero, who swerved and braked suddenly. This resulted in the vehicle going out of control and toppling. The Pajero was also being driven at good speeds as per the reports. The driver has sustained injuries while Sunil passed away on the spot.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 09:31   #27155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
...while Sunil passed away on the spot.
Sunil was an Automobile Engineer; an alumnus of SJMIT, Chitradurga from 1995-99. Sad he had to depart this way.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 12:01   #27156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
If there is a casualty in the front seats, then they probably are not belted. The front cabin is totally intact. Time and again I remind people to belt up and wear the helmets on a bike. Alas! This is as much as I can do.
Looks like the dual airbags have worked. Not sure where the fatality was from ? Probably no curtain airbags on the Pajero ?

Looks like seat was belted but not the driver. That makes sense as airbag, if deployed without buckling up actually causes more harm!
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-abc.jpg

So much to silent that reminder chime and console indicator.
purohitanuj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 13:59   #27157
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

wiki page that shows hydrocarbon liquids are particularly prone to higher "flow electrification" , than say, water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static...able_materials
Old 16th September 2018, 22:52   #27158
Senior - BHPian

Not an accident, but very close to it.

A taxi overtook me and was cruising away, but then it's bonnet had different ideas. It popped open (08 sec). The driver was able to bring the vehicle to stop safely and no serious consequences, except broken windshield and damaged hood.

Happened in Delhi on Pitampura-Mukarba Chowk road.

AutoNoob is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 22:56   #27159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
A taxi overtook me and was cruising away, but then it's bonnet had different ideas. It popped open (08 sec). The driver was able to bring the vehicle to stop safely and no serious consequences, except broken windshield and damaged hood.
Looks to me as if the driver handled that situation well.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 23:20   #27160
BHPian

Quote:

If you freeze the video at around 4 seconds you can see that the bonnet is not properly shut.

A properly shut bonnet wouldn't have opened like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20180916231800391_com.android.chrome.png  

Last edited by Ramon : 16th September 2018 at 23:21.
Ramon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 00:11   #27161
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the driver did handle the situation well, and yes the bonnet should have been properly fastened shut.

Sadly there's no warning to indicate the bonnet has been fully closed. Also it seems the alternate design of putting the hinges at the front, like the 118 NE would be safer for auch scenarios. Just thinking aloud.

Another worst case scenario would have been the bonnet coming unhinged and flying off the car into some other vehicle, or worse still, a biker. Thank God that didn't happen.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 08:45   #27162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

When I was a nervous buyer of a used SUV in the US, back on November 6th 2013, I had pulled out of the dealer's lot and into a self-serve petrol ("gas") bunk in Massachusetts.

It was cold outside and I was nervous with a new car and the prospect of having to drive on an interstate highway for the first time in my life. Meanwhile, I was somewhat unsure of where the 'release' button was for the fuel-lid. So I pulled one lever by my knees, below the steering wheel. Nothing seemed to happen - but I didn't know at the time that I'd released the hood's lock. I then discovered that my car didn't have a fuel-lid lock. So I proceeded to struggle with filling up fuel by myself (I couldn't, and so the fuel station operator came out and did it for me...)

I proceeded to drive at 70 mph on I-84 (South) toward Connecticut uneventfully.

Upon reaching home I realized what I'd done and how lucky I was that the bonnet hadn't flown open! Despite the sustained high speeds (~112 kmph) the heavy bonnet had stayed put.

Thanks for this post. It's like having closure for me since I have often thought "what could've happened?". I mean, I have imagined what could have happened, but to see it playing out on tape - it's like when an X-files fan sees a tape of a UFO landing.

Last edited by locusjag : 17th September 2018 at 08:47. Reason: Removed the video's URL...
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 08:57   #27163
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Also it seems the alternate design of putting the hinges at the front, like the 118 NE would be safer for auch scenarios. Just thinking aloud.
Another worst case scenario would have been the bonnet coming unhinged and flying off the car into some other vehicle, or worse still, a biker. Thank God that didn't happen.
That is one of the reasons why bonnets are not hinged in the front anymore. If it does get unhinged from wind load,
a. hinges near the windshield would mean that the bonnet flies up and follows the countour of the cars roof and goes behind
b. hinges in the front would mean that the bonnet would hit like a missile on the front windshield and penetrate, to injure or kill the front occuppants.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 10:05   #27164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Sadly there's no warning to indicate the bonnet has been fully closed.
Most cars in 10L plus price bracket with Door Ajar warning do have Bonnet and Boot warnings as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Meanwhile, I was somewhat unsure of where the 'release' button was for the fuel-lid. So I pulled one lever by my knees, below the steering wheel. Nothing seemed to happen - but I didn't know at the time that I'd released the hood's lock.
That's exactly why the secondary latch is mandatory where another lever has to be pulled under the bonnet to release it completely. Without this, such kind of incidents would be very common. However the smaller lock probably won't handle 3 digit speeds with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
That is one of the reasons why bonnets are not hinged in the front anymore. If it does get unhinged from wind load,
a. hinges near the windshield would mean that the bonnet flies up and follows the countour of the cars roof and goes behind
b. hinges in the front would mean that the bonnet would hit like a missile on the front windshield and penetrate, to injure or kill the front occuppants.
This largely depends on the construction of the bonnet. Some cars still have the bonnet opening forward similar to the old Jaguars, the f type I think still has one. But these cars usually either open upward hinged under the radiator grill or midway on the hood. Any impact in the first scenario will prop the bonnet open fully not allowing for a projectile kind of scenario.

The Premier 118 NE or Lada Riva is a different beast altogether. It's hinged right on top and would definitely act like a guillotine.

The move to hinge them at the back is to simply create more access areas in the front with the advent of transversely mounted engines in newer front wheel drive cars.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 10:37   #27165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
If you freeze the video at around 4 seconds you can see that the bonnet is not properly shut.

A properly shut bonnet wouldn't have opened like that.
Very likely a case of damaged, misaligned latch. Many taxi drivers don't bother getting such defects fixed and keep driving around. It is even more common to see the boot opening when the car goes over a bump since the boot is opened and closed more frequently. Seeing the driver's calm reactions, it looks like he is aware of this problem in his car knows how to react.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 17th September 2018 at 10:39.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks