Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2018, 12:17   #27181
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
One reason why cars equipped with a central locking system should also have a switch for the bonnet (many have) that it won't lock the car with the remote till you properly close the bonnet.
Most Maruti's of nowadays have a similar feature that notifies the user that bonnet is not closed properly. One gets to hear 3-chirps instead of a single chirp upon locking the car. But the doors gets locked. It took me a while to figure this out (I don't know if this is mentioned in the manual, my bad as I didn't go through it. ).
Old 21st September 2018, 12:26   #27182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
One gets to hear 3-chirps instead of a single chirp upon locking the car. But the doors gets locked. It took me a while to figure this out (I don't know if this is mentioned in the manual, my bad as I didn't go through it. ).
+1
This happened to me when my car came back from 2nd service, i did not know the reason why i was hearing 3 beeps when locking the car

Also the Security alarm used to go off even at the touch of the bonnet, thought it is normal until one day was casually checking the car and observed that the bonnet was not closed properly.

Been careful from then.
zaveed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 12:38   #27183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Most Maruti's of nowadays have a similar feature that notifies the user that bonnet is not closed properly. One gets to hear 3-chirps instead of a single chirp upon locking the car. But the doors gets locked. It took me a while to figure this out (I don't know if this is mentioned in the manual, my bad as I didn't go through it. ).
This is the reason why referred it in bold as I have an Ertiga and it has the same 'Feature' .

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
One reason why cars equipped with a central locking system should also have a switch for the bonnet (many have) that it won't lock the car with the remote till you properly close the bonnet.
The only (and perhaps least) expectation here from the owner/driver would be that he must realise the 3 beeps when locking is not normal and that the bonnet is open and it is exactly here why reading owners manual helps.

And yes, it is very much mentioned in the owner's manual:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 14:23   #27184
BHPian

All,

This Monday noticed a mangled dzire taxi brought to the Bavdhan police chowky which is near my place of work.

Looking at the state of the vehicle, cannot imagine the horrific consequences endured by its occupants.

Regards
Nikhil
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180921_135211617.jpg  

nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 11:38   #27185
BHPian

Got this video of accident near Ramnagara (Karnataka). 3 cars are involved and badly damaged. No details of how it happened and casualty. Locals try their best to help the injured.

Disturbing video discretion advised!

LoneRidder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 11:46   #27186
Distinguished - BHPian

Kannada actor Darshan and three others-Senior actor Devaraj, his son Prajwal Devaraj and their friend suffered injuries, after the car (Audi Q7) they were traveling in, met with an accident near a curve at JSS Urban Haat junction close to the Mysore ring road, at about 3 am. They are admitted at the Mysuru Columbia Asia Hospital.

According to new channels, the car rammed into a tall light pole on the divider. The light pole has fallen down (most probably on the car)

Darshan has suffered a fracture in his right hand also underwent a surgery Devaraj has also suffered a fracture. The condition of others who suffered injuries is also learnt to be stable.

They were supposedly returning back to Benaluru after attending the party of Devaraj's Birthday(20/09). A case of DUI cannot be ruled out. Like any celebrity case, all efforts for hush up has happened. The car itself was not traceable till now.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 11:51   #27187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Got this video of accident near Ramnagara (Karnataka).
Looks like a terrible scene. From the brief video it looks as if the occupants of the Brio seem to have suffered the most injuries.
I hope the two front passengers were buckled up and are just unconscious and not deceased.
The driver's legs could also be stuck rendering him trapped.

Looks to have been a high speed collision too. Any likelihood of a source or more info?
Old 24th September 2018, 11:57   #27188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Looks like a terrible scene. From the brief video it looks as if the occupants of the Brio seem to have suffered the most injuries.
I hope the two front passengers were buckled up and are just unconscious and not deceased.
The driver's legs could also be stuck rendering him trapped.

Looks to have been a high speed collision too. Any likelihood of a source or more info?
Seems like a car crossed the divider and hit the cars on the opposite side. Not able to make out the make of the cars daily. Unfortunately, looks like some people may have died on the spot. It is becoming increasingly dangerous to drive on our highways
Old 24th September 2018, 12:31   #27189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Seems like a car crossed the divider and hit the cars on the opposite side. Not able to make out the make of the cars daily. Unfortunately, looks like some people may have died on the spot. It is becoming increasingly dangerous to drive on our highways
Cars crossing over the divider and doing a head on with on coming traffic is becoming way too common. In many cases innocent people who drive defensively get involved. You are a safe driver, but how do you handle a case when a car from the opposite side just comes and rams you. There is no way to take care of this. May be driving in the middle lane. That is not 100% safe either plus some times it is just not possible. May be it is high time to put barricades on dividers.
JediKnight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 13:20   #27190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Cars crossing over the divider and doing a head on with on coming traffic is becoming way too common. In many cases innocent people who drive defensively get involved.
This is why current medians with plants and no visibility on highways have to be replaced with jersey barriers or guard rails which prevents vehicles from crossing over to the other side. It is a pretty common safety design in modern highway construction. Guard rails are not feasible here due to the high beam menace but jersey barriers with a certain height should be feasible. NHAI is sleeping on this problem for long.
Yieldway17 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 13:26   #27191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
This is why current medians with plants and no visibility on highways have to be replaced with jersey barriers or guard rails which prevents vehicles from crossing over to the other side. It is a pretty common safety design in modern highway construction. Guard rails are not feasible here due to the high beam menace but jersey barriers with a certain height should be feasible. NHAI is sleeping on this problem for long.
Though, I have a feeling that the barriers currently are the way they are to also act as a deterrent for people to try and jump across the barriers.
In case of seemingly easy to cross barriers more than cars taking illegal u-turns it'll be people jumping across, despite even a foot over-bridge being present.

There are so many problems on our road-ways that, forget NHAI not knowing where to start. It's like them being a lone sailor trying to plug 11 holes on his life-boat with 10 fingers.
Turrrb0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 15:26   #27192
BHPian

Quote:
NHAI is sleeping on this problem for long.
This particular road was not under NHAI till recently since it was not part of any national highway till few years ago. As soon as it was made part of national highway, the highway authorities came up with a plan to make it a 6-laned expressway with service lanes on each side (making it effectively a 10 laned road). Due to the previous state Govt's apathy, the project didnt move further at all. The new PWD minister (in the coalition govt) has set an ambitious target of 18-24 months to finish the project.
So there is a hope. Soon we will see a better engineered expressway between Bangalore and Mysore. The current one is a sham.
Old 24th September 2018, 16:40   #27193
BHPian

While NHAI or state government is not acting on developing Bangalore-Mysore road, people are equally responsible for most accidents which happen on this stretch.
With highway speeds of 80-100kmph, many drivers would keep hardly one car distance between cars and if someone tries to maintain safe distance, almost everyone will fill it up by barging in.
In fact, many BHPians have been avoiding Blr-Mys road for many years, as it has become too unsafe to drive, especially around long weekend holidays.

It's heart wrenching to see this video and see the suffering of fellow human beings & innocent kids

Defensive driving is a life saving skill in our country, must be taught at every possible place, be it school, colleges or work place.
Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 21:32   #27194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Cars crossing over the divider and doing a head on with on coming traffic is becoming way too common. In many cases innocent people who drive defensively get involved. You are a safe driver, but how do you handle a case when a car from the opposite side just comes and rams you. There is no way to take care of this.
Quote:
This is why current medians with plants and no visibility on highways have to be replaced with jersey barriers or guard rails which prevents vehicles from crossing over to the other side. It is a pretty common safety design in modern highway construction.
Cars jumping across the divider and ramming into vehicles on the other side is huge risk on our highways.
There is nothing in place to prevent vehicles from jumping over, just a one foot divider and shrubs on the divider separating the opposite lanes.

I've heard all comments in favour of shrubs/plants on our dividers such as: the shrubs prevents harsh glare of high beams, but these plants have to be immediately cut off in the interest of safety. From animals grazing on the shrubs crossing over suddenly to people suddenly appearing out of nowhere from the bushes and darting across the roads, these shrubs are real blindspots and a traffic hazard. They have no place on the divider, a driver must have some sense of what's lurking on the other side of the divider. Guard rails are very much the need of the hour, hope the authorities take up this barrier reinforcement work at the highest priority.

In this particular incident, the 1st Gen Amaze has taken a direct massive hit on the left A pillar and the front left door, indicating that this car jumped the divider and the (Etios?) ahead (on the right side in the video) rammed into the Amaze (on its left side), the Swift trailing behind must have collided into the car ahead in a serial collision and seems to have suffered the least impact among the three.
Its a very concerning and scary reality of our roads without the adequate safeguards (guard rails) in place. Should make one think twice before undertaking any journeys just for pleasure (without a real purpose).

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th September 2018 at 21:39.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 00:26   #27195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

In this particular incident, the 1st Gen Amaze has taken a direct massive hit on the left A pillar and the front left door, indicating that this car jumped the divider and the (Etios?) ahead (on the right side in the video) rammed into the Amaze (on its left side), the Swift trailing behind must have collided into the car ahead in a serial collision and seems to have suffered the least impact among the three.
But i felt that the Etios jumped the divider and hit the amaze. The Dzire which was trailing the amaze also hit the Etios. I could be completely wrong here. But that is what i felt.

Most Viewed