Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2019, 15:54   #27946
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A family was returning from a function late night when a speeding dumper truck overturned on their car while making a u-turn. 4 people where travelling in the car including the man driving, his wife , his mother and a 3-year-old son. The 3 year old boy is in critical condition and undergoing treatment, whereas the other 3 could not make it.

Link
Old 20th February 2019, 21:01   #27947
Senior - BHPian

Two Delhi crooks rob 40 lakhs of rupees and flee on a bike. The bike meets with an accident and all the onlookers steal the stolen money and make off with it.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...?homepage=true
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 23:11   #27948
BHPian

Just came across this news :

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68076366.cms

Man charred to death as moving car catches fire in Hyderabad.

I always get confused to lock or not to lock the door.

IIRC, a similar incident happened few years back in Shankarpallly, Hyderabad Apparently the driver could not get out of the car due to central lock.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2019 at 08:09. Reason: Merging both your posts on the same incident
Old 21st February 2019, 07:08   #27949
Distinguished - BHPian

You buy one of the best cars at a premium and feel a slight sense of safety when driving around, what could go wrong when driving an Audi A4 , within city limits one could wonder.

A sand truck came swinging at the turn, tipped over right on the Audi. The rest is incredibly sad news all the way, leaving a 3 year old child as the sole survivor. This news makes me angry and sad.. Delhi has among the strictest laws of heavy interstate/sand vehicles not entering city limits until well into the night but here we have an accident which almost nothing could've survived. I hope the driver is charged directly with murder, when you're driving a 10,000+ kg truck (laden), you drive it like you're walking around glass. With that kind of weight STRICTEST laws must be brought forth to ensure that all drivers who drive behemoths are brought down to earth to understand the gravity of driving such machines (literally).

The power trip that drivers of buses and lorries have is obnoxious to behold, sometimes whenever I see rash driving of public transport buses or sand/water lorries, I just wish that in a red signal, the driver must be dragged out the vehicle by the motorists at large and given a nice pounding for 2 minutes and put back in. They won't repeat that ever again.

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/3-ye...arents-1996741
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 08:06   #27950
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
I would say lock it, we complain about the cars that do not have the auto lock feature. If we think about every accidents we may end up deciding ‘let’s not drive cars, not use any public transport, instead use bicycles but make sure no vehicles are around you’. There is something, we call it fate. We have seen people surviving in a crash involving an Alto while people losing their lives in an Audi. So let’s adhere to the safety measures and leave it to fate/god.
pavi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 09:19   #27951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Two Delhi crooks rob 40 lakhs of rupees and flee on a bike. The bike meets with an accident and all the onlookers steal the stolen money and make off with it.
Why, that sounds like a script Guy Ritchie would love to take up as a project! Jason Statham, Vinnie Jones, that thick-glassed villain who fed other thieves to the pigs...they could star in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
Man charred to death as moving car catches fire in Hyderabad.l

IIRC, a similar incident happened few years back in Shankarpallly, Hyderabad Apparently the driver could not get out of the car due to central lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I would say lock it, we complain about the cars that do not have the auto lock feature....So let’s adhere to the safety measures and leave it to fate/god.
I was going to say - "why don't you use the car headrests to break the windows and wiggle out of the burning car?"

But after seeing so many WhatsApp and FB forwards on this, I decided to check with Hon'ble judge, Snopes.com, to see if car headrests were really designed to help with breaking the windows from within, by trapped passengers.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ca...rgency-escape/

His Honour, snopes.com, has declared that while car headrests can be used to break windows in an emergency, they weren't designed with that in mind. It's just human ingenuity at play, coupled with partial disinformation on social media.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 09:34   #27952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
You buy one of the best cars at a premium and feel a slight sense of safety when driving around, what could go wrong when driving an Audi A4 , within city limits one could wonder.[/url]
Looks like an Audi A3. Can be seen in the image here: https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le26325280.ece

Says here that the car was taking a U-turn and the speeding truck on the opposite lane hit the car.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68087814.cms

For the door lock issue, please check if the boot door has a manual override. My A-star has a small tab on the boot door that can be used to manually open the boot from inside. I have informed my family about the same just incase.
Play the situation in your mind: door lock fails -> reach over to the rear seat and pull the seat backrest down -> move the boot cover -> use the latch to open boot door -> get out.
To me this is easier than trying to break the glass with the headrest in a hatchback.

If you have a child seat then skip the "reach over to the rear seat and pull the seat backrest down".

Last edited by rajathv8 : 21st February 2019 at 09:48.
rajathv8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 09:56   #27953
Senior - BHPian

Keep a small stick inside the car for these situations. Will help in breaking windows if you are trapped and to defend yourself against rowdy road rage elements. I do this in both of my cars since 4 years and by God's grace haven't need to use it.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 10:26   #27954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Keep a small stick inside the car for these situations. .
Tempered glass is really tough. Pin point hard impact can shatter it while a blunt hammer may fail to do so. Having a stick may not be helpful.

Watch this:
rajathv8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 12:27   #27955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Keep a small stick inside the car for these situations. Will help in breaking windows if you are trapped and to defend yourself against rowdy road rage elements. I do this in both of my cars since 4 years and by God's grace haven't need to use it.
There are many glass breaker plus seat belt cutter utilities made just for this on the market. Buy one and stick it with a velcro under or beside your driver seat.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 16:53   #27956
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Serial accident on the Hebbal Flyover, Bangalore.

These were cars moving towards airport/ air show.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1550748141.800871.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1550748155.691358.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1550748166.781171.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1550748179.778183.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1550748192.109839.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1550748206.948826.jpg

No casualties reported.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 21st February 2019 at 16:54.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 17:22   #27957
BHPian

This incident happened in Kerala, Bishop Jerome College Kollam. The college went ahead with the motor show, despite the warnings from legal authorities (As per the media). The news says that one student is seriously injured.
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 20:33   #27958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Tempered glass is really tough. Pin point hard impact can shatter it while a blunt hammer may fail to do so. Having a stick may not be helpful.

Most of the headrests of modern cars have a tapering end so that they can be used to break the glass. Just remove the one in the car and check it's a really thoughtful and useful feature.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd February 2019 at 10:51. Reason: Fixing quote :)
Old 21st February 2019, 22:29   #27959
Distinguished - BHPian

I removed the rear headrests of several of my cars, as they obstructed rear vision. I don't do that now, as I eventually realised the risk of injury to any rear-seat passenger, in case of accident.

Thing is, though, I always found it fiddly and difficult. Wouldn't like to try it with flames around my knees and smoke in my eyes!
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:46   #27960
BHPian

Some people were making comments on social network platforms that it is a biker's fault! Someone please help me to understand.

PS: I am whole heartedly a car guy, and do not own any bike, rather a humble activa.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ves-away-97120

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks