Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:56   #27961
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Spotted this accident on the 19th! Looks like it was a major one involving 9-10 cars.
Start the video from 1.45 onwards.

Captain Slow is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:38   #27962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Spotted this accident on the 19th! Looks like it was a major one involving 9-10 cars.
A video of this incident is circulating on WhatsApp now and has been posted in other threads here. As usual masala was added on WhatsApp that someone in the front stopped to see the aircrafts practicing for Aero show and that caused it.

Another story is that a two wheeler created some confusion for the Airport taxi in the front but he managed to halt in time. But the Merc and others behind him could not .

Anyway waiting for others to share what they have heard!
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:59   #27963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTP doesn't seem to agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Another story is that a .....

And another is that-

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190222wa0009.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 22nd February 2019 at 12:04.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:31   #27964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Start the video from 1.45 onwards.
So the company RTT has already bought a Mercedes V-Class (as seen in the video @ 01:40)! Are they a Hoteliers or Transport people?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd February 2019 at 13:41. Reason: removed video link from quoted post
Old 22nd February 2019, 13:00   #27965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Video posted by Captain Slow clearly shows the Brezza and so does the image quoted in the tabloid.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bellary_road_accident.jpg

The only truth is that this accident has no remote relation to Aero India show as this happened somewhere after Hebbal towards Mekhri Circle!!!
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 13:05   #27966
BHPian

Speeding car rams into a bike in Coimbatore

The biker seems to be entering the road in the opposite direction. He comes to a stop seeing an oncoming vehicle, which seems to be out of control. He got flung a good 5-10m.

There are conflicting reports on the nature of injuries to the biker. Some say he is critical and some say he escaped with minor injuries.
There are also reports that this was a case of street racing, not sure.
Old 22nd February 2019, 13:12   #27967
Team-BHP Support

It's best to have a specific tool, easily accessible and ready to use. A window breaker/seat belt cutter combo stuck to the side of the driver seat is probably ideal.

Improvisation might make sense in theory, but panic and steady hands usually never go together, so don't put yourself in a spot where you need to reach out for or disengage something in a time-sensitive emergency.
Old 22nd February 2019, 13:15   #27968
BHPian

Quote:
Spotted this accident on the 19th! Looks like it was a major one involving 9-10 cars.Moolee GREEN 54px.png
Video seems legit and syncs well with the photos. The cops and the news article are definitely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
Some people were making comments on social network platforms that it is a biker's fault! Someone please help me to understand.
Don't really know which road this is but it does seem like the biker was going to go the wrong way and came in the way of the grey car overtaking the white car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
This incident happened in Kerala, Bishop Jerome College Kollam.
A drift show on what looks like a basketball court what seems like loose barricades for safety is a disaster waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Looks like an Audi A3. Can be seen in the image here: https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le26325280.ece
Not jumping to conclusions but there are many cars that overtake a truck from left and immediately take a U Turn. A 10 ton truck is not going to really stop. There are quite a few video examples of these on this thread. From the pic, the Audi seems to have a more upright left side as compared to the right.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 13:37   #27969
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Most of the headrests of modern cars have a tapering end so that they can be used to break the glass. Just remove the one in the car and check it's a really thoughtful and useful feature.
whether they the pipes of the headrest have a tapering end or not ; in some models, the headrest is not easily removable from the top of the seat. The easily removable ones have a small button that juts out from one of the two 'slide hole plastic casing' s -- push the single button to remove the entire headrest. However, other types have two recessed buttons deep inside each of the two slide hole plastic casings - both of them need to be pressed from the side, simultaneously, using needles. Thats almost impossible, in an emergency. I hope this post will act as FYI and whoever is reading will be made aware what 'type' of headrest removal system we have in our respective carts.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 18:06   #27970
BHPian

Happened today on BRTS road, Vijayawada. As per the news report, the bus driver lost control as the brakes failed and rammed into a couple of vehicles before coming to halt.

Fortunately no major casualties/ mortalities.

Who should be held responsible here? Speeding bus driver or transport authorities for lacking supervision on vehicle condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Creta-Auto accident in KL
This happened long back and was reported on this thread earlier.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 22nd February 2019 at 18:10. Reason: Merging posts
Pferdestarke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 18:37   #27971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Happened today on BRTS road, Vijayawada. As per the news report, the bus driver lost control as the brakes failed and rammed into a couple of vehicles before coming to halt.
So close, the guy who was sitting at the back of the cycle rickshaw brushed his back on the side of the tyres, so close.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd February 2019 at 19:04. Reason: Please avoid quoting videos. Thanks!
Sophomore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 21:35   #27972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Speeding car rams into a bike in Coimbatore
The biker seems to be entering the road in the opposite direction. He comes to a stop seeing an oncoming vehicle, which seems to be out of control. He got flung a good 5-10m.

There are conflicting reports on the nature of injuries to the biker. Some say he is critical and some say he escaped with minor injuries.
There are also reports that this was a case of street racing, not sure.
The bike has "Live to Drive" sticker, so looks like a Team BHP member. Hope he is safe.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd February 2019 at 23:18. Reason: Removed Youtube URL from quoted post. Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2019, 22:47   #27973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Nothing Related to the airshow, Happened on the 19th of Feb @ 9.20AM. Just after CBI road on the flyover - Before the Uturn to Sanjay Nagar.

To me, it looked like as if the Innova brushed against the cabbie causing him to brake hard causing the other cars to crash into each other. A biker was also involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

And another is that-

I was driving that way, it's from my dash cam! How can the news say it " happened long back"
As President Trump Says - FAKE NEWS AT its very best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Video posted by Captain Slow clearly shows the Brezza and so does the image quoted in the tabloid.

The only truth is that this accident has no remote relation to Aero India show as this happened somewhere after Hebbal towards Mekhri Circle!!!
Indeed just after CBI office on the flyover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post

Don't really know which road this is but it does seem like the biker was going to go the wrong way and came in the way of the grey car overtaking the white car.
Read Above about what happened.
Well, I could be wrong, I was just the Idiot driving by! and the Dashcam recorded everything, Maybe the news channel knows better.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd February 2019 at 07:27. Reason: Spacing
Captain Slow is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 23:02   #27974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
while car headrests can be used to break windows in an emergency, they weren't designed with that in mind.
Quote:
Play the situation in your mind: door lock fails -> reach over to the rear seat and pull the seat backrest down -> move the boot cover -> use the latch to open boot door -> get out.
To me this is easier than trying to break the glass with the headrest in a hatchback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Keep a small stick inside the car for these situations. Will help in breaking windows if you are trapped and to defend yourself against rowdy road rage elements.
Quote:
Tempered glass is really tough. Pin point hard impact can shatter it while a blunt hammer may fail to do so. Having a stick may not be helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
There are many glass breaker plus seat belt cutter utilities made just for this on the market. Buy one and stick it with a velcro under or beside your driver seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Most of the headrests of modern cars have a tapering end so that they can be used to break the glass.
I have placed a claw hammer and a safety cutter in the tray below passenger seat. I have practiced accessing the tray from driver seat. However, I am not satisfied with position of safety cutter, as it should be accessible to cut seat belt, in case it can't be unbuckled. Will check pasting the cutter with tape in driver door map pocket.

[Below images taken from internet for reference]
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-claw-hammer.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-safety-cutter.jpg
Quote:
Watch this:
I would have loved if they had demonstrated how a claw hammer performs in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thing is, though, I always found it fiddly and difficult. Wouldn't like to try it with flames around my knees and smoke in my eyes!
Yes. Real life situations are unpredictable. One key factor is how fast the fire spreads. From what we have read in this thread and elsewhere, in many cases, occupants hardly had seconds before whole vehicle was engulfed in flames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It's best to have a specific tool, easily accessible and ready to use. A window breaker/seat belt cutter combo stuck to the side of the driver seat is probably ideal... Improvisation might make sense in theory, but panic and steady hands usually never go together, so don't put yourself in a spot where you need to reach out for or disengage something in a time-sensitive emergency.
True. However, in many cases it's not just what we do. Sometimes we end up at receiving end due to other road users, machine failures, combined with sheer bad luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I hope this post will act as FYI and whoever is reading will be made aware what 'type' of headrest removal system we have in our respective carts.
Thanks. Your point is important, I'll re-check in my vehicle.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 07:08   #27975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I have placed a claw hammer and a safety cutter in the tray below passenger seat. ... not satisfied with position of safety cutter, as it should be accessible to cut seat belt, in case it can't be unbuckled. .
I purchased the below product couple of years back.

Compact Keychain size and specifically designed to shatter glass windows and cut through seat belts.

for_cars1 is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed