Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:10   #27976
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le26347929.ece =Photo courtesy.

An MP from Tamilnadu, Mr.Rajendran died on the spot when his car (is it Etios?) hit the median and toppled today early morning near Tindivanam, TN.

RIP.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsappimage20190223at82818am.jpeg  

Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:33   #27977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I purchased the below product couple of years back.

Compact Keychain size and specifically designed to shatter glass windows and cut through seat belts.
Good that somebody posted this. I too have the same product. It is attached to my car key. Bought this around the same time frame 2-3 years ago. To be specific I bought it after seeing a moving car in flames in this same thread. I have tried this product on a broken side mirror from a bike several times and it worked. Haven't tried it in a car windscreen though. Any Chennai tbhpians with access to a FNG with scrap windscreen let me know. We can try this out and see if it is effective.
Old 23rd February 2019, 13:09   #27978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Haven't tried it in a car windscreen though. Any Chennai tbhpians with access to a FNG with scrap windscreen let me know. We can try this out and see if it is effective.
Check for the nearest "Windshield Experts" shop. Usually they store old windshields for some time. They may oblige if requested to provide a disposable windshield for demonstration. Include them and say that you are making a video, they may be forthcoming. Post the video if you do that.
aadya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 14:32   #27979
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod

All Aero Show fire discussions are here
Old 23rd February 2019, 15:05   #27980
BHPian

The build quality debate continues .... of course, I do understand the weight and velocity of the sand trucks, but still couldn't help wondering how the roof of the Audi gave in completely. Is sunroof a possible culprit? Reminds me of the reading on why aircraft windows have rounded edges rather than squared ones...

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-audi-image-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-audi-image-3.jpg

Drawing a parallel with an older incident reported in the same thread...A Fiat Linea came under a metal laden truck and all the occupants could walk out safe..The wheel of the Linea could be spotted under the truck Sadly, these cars did not see their light in India.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-linea-image-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-linea-image-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-linea-image-1.jpg
Nalin Kumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 15:21   #27981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Haven't tried it in a car windscreen though. Any Chennai tbhpians with access to a FNG with scrap windscreen let me know. We can try this out and see if it is effective.
The device would only be able to break through the side windows or rear window. In fact the weakest part of the side window would be nearer to the A pillar which is why they show the occupants pressing the device into that area of the glass.

The windshield being laminated would be pretty tough to break through in an emergency. It would possibly crack but the device would be ineffective in breaking it open given the layers of glass and plastic that makes the glass hold and not yield easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
...do understand the weight and velocity of the sand trucks, but still couldn't help wondering how the roof of the Audi gave in completely. Is sunroof a possible culprit?
A sunroof would reduce the structural integrity of the roof to a certain extent, however if a 25 to 30 tonne fully loaded tipper directly fell sideways onto the roof of any car, its pillars would certainly collapse. The weight is far beyond the structural strength design limits of a car.

As seen in this IIHS roof strength testing (link), the standard roof strength test is for a vehicle to be able to withstand 4 times its own weight on its roof with acceptable level of yielding/crushing.
In case of the tipper truck, we are talking almost 20 times the weight of the car.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 23rd February 2019 at 15:49.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 23:56   #27982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I purchased the below product couple of years back... Compact Keychain size and specifically designed to shatter glass windows and cut through seat belts.
Quote:
I too have the same product. It is attached to my car key.
Thanks for sharing this valuable info.

From where you bought it ? I found this on Amazon.com (USA), however Indian e-market places have cheap replicas. If you bought it from US, I'll lookout for friends who might be travelling in near future.

Request to Mods : Is it possible to permanently pin info about this product at some prominent location on team-bhp (like homepage) as this can be a real life saver.
AutoNoob is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 11:51   #27983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
The build quality debate continues .... Drawing a parallel with an older incident reported in the same thread...A Fiat Linea came under a metal laden truck and all the occupants could walk out safe..The wheel of the Linea could be spotted under the truck Sadly, these cars did not see their light in India.
The Linea had met with a truck carrying stone chips and the truck had overturned on the front part of the car and not really over the roof, that too only the cab portion of the truck. The damage seen here is purely from the stone chips falling on the car.

Lineas are indeed well built but not that well built. These photos are from somewhere on this thread but google somehow could not point to that location, hence re-uploading for immediate comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-21022009001_5.jpg  

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 13:00   #27984
NPX
BHPian

This happened last night around midnight in Bopal, Ahmedabad. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Person claiming ownership of the vehicle says his nephew was driving the car and suddenly a dog came in front of the car and his nephew didn't know the "power" of the car so couldn't control the car. By looking at that person, his nephew seems to be underage for driving.

Car climbed the footpath after hitting two dustbins and came to stop after hitting an electric pole. Airbags were deployed and co passenger was not wearing seatbelt as windshield was cracked due to his head hitting the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190223_234344.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190223_234449.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190223_234936.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190223_235243.jpg  

NPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 14:01   #27985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPX View Post
By looking at that person, his nephew seems to be underage for driving.
Why do so many parents/relatives feel so proud of their underaged kids driving/riding even without getting a license? Is this manifestation of the rat race in India that they have to demonstrate that their children are ready for the race and actually coming out ahead? I don't understand this mentality at all.

I live near a school and there are so many young boys in the age of 12-16 riding two wheelers to school that it's astounding. They have to cross a NH at an uncontrolled intersection to the school and it stops my heart every time I see one of the kids make a very close crossing.
Yieldway17 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 15:41   #27986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Why do so many parents/relatives feel so proud of their underaged kids driving/riding even without getting a license? Is this manifestation of the rat race in India that they have to demonstrate that their children are ready for the race and actually coming out ahead? I don't understand this mentality at all.
To make matters worse it WILL NOT change. Underage vehicle users account for an extremely significant number of vehicle purchases in our country (indirectly via an adult) and the automobile companies obviously know it and won't let any "direct measures" from the government affect those numbers.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 16:14   #27987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le26347929.ece =Photo courtesy.

An MP from Tamilnadu, Mr.Rajendran died on the spot when his car (is it Etios?) hit the median and toppled today early morning near Tindivanam, TN.

RIP.
One of the reason for this accident was an under construction divider which didn't have any reflectors to warn the drivers. Its very difficult to spot such dividers in the dark especially when you are in the middle of an overtaking manoeuvre. Unfortunately we have many such dividers on our roads and the concerned authorities are never bothered to take the required safety measures.

The MP has himself to blame too as he was not wearing seat belts.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg  

arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 16:22   #27988
BHPian

Found this XUV500 early in the morning near Lohia path, Lucknow
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190224_161709.jpg  

hgps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 17:19   #27989
BHPian

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/chen...w/68138242.cms
= Photo courtesy.

Following Bengaluru Aero show parking fire incident, 150 cars go up in flames in Porur, Chennai today afternoon.
Those cars were of a defunct call taxi company, most of the cars were parked there for over a year, not in use.
The flames were said to be from garbage fire. I hope it is not an insurance scam.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ezgif5e71b0ba3a89d.jpg  

Arwin07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 20:50   #27990
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Following Bengaluru Aero show parking fire incident, 150 cars go up in flames in Porur, Chennai today afternoon.
Those cars were of a defunct call taxi company, most of the cars were parked there for over a year, not in use.
The flames were said to be from garbage fire. I hope it is not an insurance scam.
Defunct taxi company - cash block, check.

B : Bangalore air show car funeral - news says dry grass.
E : I know sir, good idea.
B : Do we have dry grass ?
E : Oh yeah, lots.
B : here's the lighter.
E : Boss, only 1 day later, won't it be suspicious ?
B : Doesn't matter, it's fresh and hot, media attention is high, we have plenty dry grass, let's gut it.
E : ok boss

I sincerely hope the above imagination is nowhere close to what actually happened.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed