Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2019, 17:30   #29596
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Someone managed to wreck a Volvo this bad. This car has been lying on Zirakpur-Patiala highway for last 3 days. On the first day it was seen on the divider rammed into an electric pole. Yesterday, on my way to work I decided to click a few pictures.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190922wa0001.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190922wa0000.jpg

A detailed search on Google revealed the gory details of the actual incident. As per reports, this car was apparently driven under influence of alcohol and rammed into an SX4 at a very high speed, leading to the death of the driver of SX4 and seriously injuring the passenger. Both the cars were traveling towards Chandigarh which is the opposite lane on which the Volvo is currently parked. The badly mangled SX4 is still lying in the bushes on the other side of the road (which I didn't notice but only saw the pictures on the internet). Some news reports claim that both the cars were involved in a high speed race which eventually turned worse for both. The accident happened at midnight. As evident from the pictures, Volvo driver came out with only minor injuries and is now under custody.
Avalanche2409 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 20:56   #29597
Senior - BHPian

Just ten minutes back on the Marina Beach road in Chennai. I was doing around 60 and this guy blew past me at a much higher speed. A little later I caught up and saw this - looks like he tried to overtake some heavier vehicle maybe a bus, got rear ended and slewed his car onto the road divider. The road around him is covered in green coolant - those wet patches you see.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5688657656a240818391a6c4744e1ef0.jpeg  

hserus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 23:17   #29598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche2409 View Post
Someone managed to wreck a Volvo this bad. This car has been lying on Zirakpur-Patiala highway for last 3 days.

Out of curiosity, I googled this story up. I got a hit on 3 leading online news portals and all the 3 of them differ in the contents of the story in one way or the other. Either its a mismatching victim car type (or) mismatching names (or) mismatching description of the scenario leading to the incident.

However the one constant in all the 3 stories is the killer car being a volvo :-). Looks like these journalists just hear bits and pieces of the story and print it without bothering to verify the information & facts.

Indian Express
The deceased was identified as Sunny Kumar, a resident of Rajpura. The complainant in the case, Davinder Kumar, told police that he and his friend Sunny were going to Chandigarh in their Maruti Dzire car...
Police registered a case against the Volvo car driver Ajay Pal...

Times Of India
The victim, Mani Kumar, 32, and his friend, Davinder Kumar, had left Rajpura in the SX4 around 11.10pm for Chandigarh. The impact spun their car off the road, even as the Volvo driven by Army man Ajay Kumar of Haryana

Hindustan Times
The deceased was identified as Sunil Kumar, alias Sunny, 25, of Phase 2, Rajpura, while his friend, Davinder Kumar, 38, of Rajpura was injured.
The duo was travelling in a Maruti SX4, which collided with a Volvo car, being driven by one Ajay Kumar from Haryana

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...akpur-6012182/
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/71211242.cms
https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...xJcb0q4uM.html

Last edited by SR-71 : 22nd September 2019 at 23:28.
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 23:39   #29599
Senior - BHPian

After being in a near fatal accident, it would perhaps be too much for a survivor to remember exact details of such nature.

Unlike TBHPians, the common man may not be able to identify different car models by name.

Also two of the reports do name the deceased as Sunil / Sunny - which could be mis-heard as Mani.

And all reports do mention a hit with a Volvo car.

Taking into account these circumstances I would not be surprised with these three accounts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd September 2019 at 11:50. Reason: Fixing typo
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 23:50   #29600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Unlike TBHPians, the commo man may not be able to identify different car models by name.
Sorry to be picky, but are you saying a guy wouldn't even remember his own car model ! If I were to believe the news article, one of them states the smashed up car, which is what is reported erroneously, belongs to the survivor. It was his friend who was driving and lost his life. BTW its the bad journalism I am pointing to and this is not one off incident IMHO.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 01:40   #29601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
... its the bad journalism I am pointing to and this is not one off incident IMHO.
I don't suppose the guy cared much when he scribbled it down, or at all, when he typed in the copy. Just another insignificant news item about a road death. Unless some rich or famous person is involved, nobody is ever going to worry about the details.

In other words, yes! Bad journalism!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:37   #29602
BHPian

https://localnews.manoramaonline.com...dent-news.html

CCTV video of an accident involving a car and KSRTC bus. The camera angle might be misleading, but it looks like the bus was on the wrong lane.
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:37   #29603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post

...Either its a mismatching victim car type (or) mismatching names (or) mismatching description of the scenario leading to the incident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
After being in a near fatal accident, it would perhaps be too much for a survivor to remember exact details of such nature.
These journalists are victims of the speed of online news. Most of them are trying to get the news out as fast as possible without actually double checking the facts or the overall sanity of the story.

Compared to the good old days of print where a writer had a good amount of time to write up, double check facts and then send it to their editors, and only after that, publish and print.

The stops and checks are all in place but speed is what kills journalism in this case. Ironically, speed is what killed the victim as well.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:36   #29604
BHPian

Captured a minor fender bender while on my way back to Cochin.

The WagonR in question did not slow down/halt, to look for oncoming traffic, before merging. The Alto, probably traveling at a higher than normal speed, could not stop in time & skidded the last few meters into the WagonR.

IMO, what the WagonR did is a prefect representation of what happens daily on our roads - people, bikes, cars, trucks, basically everyone try & poke their nose ahead, onto oncoming traffic, expecting others to either 1. Stop or 2. Swerve around them

This case was option #3. Neither of the above.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 15:56   #29605
Senior - BHPian

Two ladies out for morning walk were killed when they were knocked down by a car which was reportedly driven by a learner - Morning walk turns fatal: Dibrugarh women killed in road accident

Quote:
Two women out on morning walk were killed after a speeding car knocked them down at Boiragimoth area in Dibrugarh on Sunday morning.
Following the incident, locals thrashed the two youths and they were admitted to AMCH for treatment.
“Since both the youngsters are hospitalised we are yet to interrogate them regarding the incident,” said Dibyajyoti Dadhora, a traffic police official.
“We are not sure whether the driver has a driving license or not. Both of them are students,” he added.
“As soon as they stabilize a bit, we will take the required action,” Dadhora further said.
The victims’ families, meanwhile, have registered an FIR at Dibrugarh police station.
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:42   #29606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post

IMO, what the WagonR did is a prefect representation of what happens daily on our roads - people, bikes, cars, trucks, basically everyone try & poke their nose ahead, onto oncoming traffic, expecting others to either 1. Stop or 2. Swerve around them

This case was option #3. Neither of the above.
Not only the Wagon R, but also the Alto to your left was parked on the road and that too in a road junction demonstrating the owner's 'I don't care' policy.

The oncoming Alto should have slowed down before a road junction.

A minor quibble- the motorcycle ahead of you encountered a hurdle in the form of an Alto parked on the road. He should have spotted you on the rear view mirror and stopped behind Alto letting you pass, and then proceeded. That was a close shave too.
(The motorcyclist was riding in a myopic way, seeing only one vehicle ahead instead of seeing the big picture and atleast 50 metres of road ahead and behind).

You did well to dodge at the end, sir.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 23rd September 2019 at 17:45.
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 18:08   #29607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Not only the Wagon R, but also the Alto to your left was parked on the road and that too in a road junction demonstrating the owner's 'I don't care' policy.

Its impossible to slow down at every road junction in Kerala. You can find one junction every 200 to 500 meters on some roads, you can't slow down everywhere! Even the 4 laned national highway between Ernakulam to Thrissur has signals every 2 to 3 kms in addition to the many flyovers.

If I am not wrong, the road here is the Ernakulam Madurai National Highway, and the junction before Puthencruz. If true, there are atleast 6 to 7 junctions on the road in the next 1km.

The people coming out of these side roads should be more careful, especially auto rickshaws and bikers.

Besides, the roads are narrow, there isn't usually any free width on the roads for the cars merging in, to stop and peek for oncoming traffic. An ideal solution are the convex curve mirrors, which help us to see oncoming traffic, but they don't usually last long, most of them are stolen or are vandalized by anti social elements.

Last edited by Aditya_Bhp : 23rd September 2019 at 18:12.
Old 23rd September 2019, 18:53   #29608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
https://localnews.manoramaonline.com...dent-news.html

CCTV video of an accident involving a car and KSRTC bus. The camera angle might be misleading, but it looks like the bus was on the wrong lane.
Difficult to judge from the video footage, but it looks like an overtaking maneuver gone wrong by the car driver. As usual, the KSRTC bus driver doesn't budge an inch towards left even at the point of no return.
Old 23rd September 2019, 20:08   #29609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

A minor quibble- the motorcycle ahead of you encountered a hurdle in the form of an Alto parked on the road. He should have spotted you on the rear view mirror and stopped behind Alto letting you pass, and then proceeded. That was a close shave too.
(The motorcyclist was riding in a myopic way, seeing only one vehicle ahead instead of seeing the big picture and atleast 50 metres of road ahead and behind).

You did well to dodge at the end, sir.
Thanks. Crazy how so many things happened so quickly --
Black wagonR deciding not to halt, Old Alto screeching to a hit, New Alto stopping in the middle of the road with no indicator & no sense of traffic check (he had 5+ cars and a bike following him), Biker swerving into traffic without stopping (as you stated) and then slowing down further to gawk at the accident, Me having to process all this and weave around trying not to hit any!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
If I am not wrong, the road here is the Ernakulam Madurai National Highway, and the junction before Puthencruz. If true, there are atleast 6 to 7 junctions on the road in the next 1km.

The people coming out of these side roads should be more careful, especially auto rickshaws and bikers.

Besides, the roads are narrow, there isn't usually any free width on the roads for the cars merging in, to stop and peek for oncoming traffic. An ideal solution are the convex curve mirrors, which help us to see oncoming traffic, but they don't usually last long, most of them are stolen or are vandalized by anti social elements.
Not sure, but looks like the same road. Happened about an hour away from Cochin city. This road had so much happening on it, even on a Sunday. It is foolish to speed here or merge without due caution.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 21:54   #29610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
These journalists are victims of the speed of online news. Most of them are trying to get the news out as fast as possible without actually double checking the facts or the overall sanity of the story.

Compared to the good old days of print where a writer had a good amount of time to write up, double check facts and then send it to their editors, and only after that, publish and print.

The stops and checks are all in place but speed is what kills journalism in this case. Ironically, speed is what killed the victim as well.
I don't think this is really fair, or even true. In the good old days of print, there was an absolute deadline before the newspaper went to print. Page planning, typesetting, and printing, followed by transport and distribution. That process won't have changed for daily print newspapers.

At least the internet story can be put up on the website as and when.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed