Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2020, 22:15   #31546
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
To be fair, this auto driver did seem to be patient and waited quite a bit. It's hard to estimate the speed of the bike but there is a point when he's simply too fast and shares part of the blame for the crash.
I agree with your assessment.

The biker was going way to fast for that two lane road.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 22:56   #31547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
While the auto driver could have waited more, but bike rider is also responsible to some extent. Relative speed of the bike was much higher than other vehicles. On Indian roads defensive driving is very important as we would see lot of surprises. Auto did hold up well without toppling.
biker's motto: get out of my way or I will kill me.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 07:34   #31548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
While it is acceptable to bash Maruti quality and call them tin cans in the appropriate thread(s), I do not see why we need to analyse this particular accident as a fault that MSIL has committed.

Cars hit poles and trees, and bend this badly - that is pretty common everywhere, and for most cars!
This does not justify the fact that Maruti cars are safe. The general perception and knowledge of most car literate guys is that Maruti and a host of Japanese and South Korean cars are less safe as compared to European and even Indian ones to name some among the safer that include Skoda, Ford, Fiat, Volkswagen and Tata among these.

This particular Swift accident or the Tata Nexon - truck head on accident that was posted a few days back are not particular cases, where any other car would surely have deformed under such impact. But please scroll through the earlier pages in this same thread "Accidents in India" and derive your own conclusions.

My remarks were generalised and not particularly aimed at this blue Swift's ductility and body U turn, but at the safety of these cars. This brand sells with a 50- 56% market share in our country and the lives and safety of the occupants are a matter of our concern. They have simply been too complacent on the safety front, which I have highlighted.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 11:48   #31549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The general perception and knowledge of most car literate guys is that Maruti and a host of Japanese and South Korean cars are less safe as compared to European and even Indian ones to name some among the safer that include Skoda, Ford, Fiat, Volkswagen and Tata among these.
Oh, well, they all bend. Some when they hit streetlight poles, and some when they hit railings...
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1599977536642.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1599977530796.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1599977520633.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 16:36   #31550
BHPian

Hyderabad: Barricade falls on motorcyclists; one dead & other seriously injured

In yet another horrifying incident in Hyderabad, a barricade fell on motorcyclists. The motorcyclists fell on the road after losing their balance and control of the vehicle due to its impact and came under a passing truck. This incident has led to the death of one person while the other has been seriously injured. The entire incident was recorded on a CCTV camera installed nearby.

Who is to be entirely blamed for this mishap? Truck Driver or civic body (GHMC)
Will the civic bodies be held responsible for this incident?

As per CCTV footage, The truck's front portion already crossed the bikers before the barricade fell on biker. But due to the impact of barricade, one of the riders fell under truck's rear wheels. I don't think it is fault of truck driver. I hope he is not penalized in this incident and not harassed by cops.

CCTV Footage and news link :

https://www.timesnownews.com/videos/...-injured/74362

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 13th September 2020 at 16:37. Reason: added URL
WhiteSierra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 19:50   #31551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post

As per CCTV footage, The truck's front portion already crossed the bikers before the barricade fell on biker. But due to the impact of barricade, one of the riders fell under truck's rear wheels. I don't think it is fault of truck driver. I hope he is not penalized in this incident and not harassed by cops.
Usually, the police as is the practice, will book the truck driver and its owner for the offence. It should also book the person/firm/institution which had erected the barricade for culpable homicide leading to death.

The truck driver/owner (law fixes responsibility also on master(owner in this case) as in the 'master and servant' liabilities) will be booked by the police and have to depose their innocence to evade arrest and if need be, secure bail with the help of a criminal lawyer. After the panchnama, police prepares a chargesheet to be presented at a Magistrate's Court. The truck driver /owner if nailed, as it many a time happens, need to come clean by engaging a lawyer as such cases drag for years. The next of kin of the deceased also need to engage a criminal lawyer to intervene using the CrPC in the same criminal case and get responibility fixed on the entities who had erected the barricade by making them parties to the suit, claiming due compensation for the death of the biker.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th September 2020 at 19:54.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 20:47   #31552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Both motorists are carried in an unsafe manner as is common.
As discussed above, am not going into the point on whose fault it was. Over-speeding vs negligent driving = Disaster.

The only point that came to my mind is, govt has now made it a rule for all new two wheelers, that they must have a DRL or their headlights can't be turned off.

In the video, there was no visible light on the bike, which crashed with the auto.
In the beginning, I was hating this new enforcement but now after seeing many such video's, I do feel its safer for the two wheelers, as it increases their visibility to other road users.

Last edited by Samba : 13th September 2020 at 20:52.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 20:56   #31553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Cruel to be seated in that and travel at 3-digit speed.
My personal opinion is that 99% of the Indian roads other than the recent expressways are unfit for continuous three digit speeds. Add the kind of vehicles we have on the roads, I'd be absolutely terrified to do continuous three digit speeds if I'm on one.

For most of the roads and cars people drive here, 80kmph is the safest possible limit one can reasonably get somewhere quick without having to put their lives at line in my opinion. And that itself doesn't guarantee anything.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 20:56   #31554
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Oh, well, they all bend. Some when they hit streetlight poles, and some when they hit railings...
the footpath railing would be pretty strong (multiple anchor points all reinforcing each other) in a direction parallel to it, while it wouldn't be as strong in a direction perpendicular to it.

My guess is that the railing got hit in its strongest direction first, causing a 'pole-hit' like scenario, resulting in the nexon bending and rotating, and then hitting the guardrail side-on (weakest resistance by the rail) for a secondary impact, which made matching bents on the car as well as the rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nexon-guardrail.png  

venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 21:12   #31555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The truck driver/owner (law fixes responsibility also on master(owner in this case) as in the 'master and servant' liabilities) will be booked by the police and have to depose their innocence to evade arrest and if need be, secure bail with the help of a criminal lawyer. After the panchnama, police prepares a chargesheet to be presented at a Magistrate's Court. The truck driver /owner if nailed, as it many a time happens, need to come clean by engaging a lawyer as such cases drag for years. The next of kin of the deceased also need to engage a criminal lawyer to intervene using the CrPC in the same criminal case and get responibility fixed on the entities who had erected the barricade by making them parties to the suit, claiming due compensation for the death of the biker.
This is where our life insurance and vehicle insurance companies come toothless. In almost all developed countries, the insurance companies who will be paying out to the biker's family and the insurance company of the truck will join together to sue the civil body and the construction company to redeem their payout and to get their responsibility absolved.

Generally in accidents, they also go after other vehicles when they determine it's not their drivers fault in an accident using proofs of dashcam video, cctv videos, accident investigation etc. other than in situations of he-said -she-said. We don't get any kind of protection like that from insurance companies. To be fair, they do payout the insurance in most cases but they just absolve that cost as write off and instead increase the price of insurance for the driver and removing this counter-intuitive thing called NCB.

I have had to claim insurance two times for no fault of mine and even with a dashcam video one time, they only increased my renewal price and of course I lost NCB too. As they can't or won't go after the other vehicles, they just milk their customers instead or push them out.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 13th September 2020 at 21:14.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 21:23   #31556
BHPian

Strangely all videos and links have disappeared, the link in OP opens to different content, google also gave empty links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Hyderabad: Barricade falls on motorcyclists; one dead & other seriously injured

In yet another horrifying incident in Hyderabad, a barricade fell on motorcyclists. The motorcyclists fell on the road after losing their balance and control of the vehicle due to its impact and came under a passing truck. This incident has led to the death of one person while the other has been seriously injured. The entire incident was recorded on a CCTV camera installed nearby.

CCTV Footage and news link :

https://www.timesnownews.com/videos/...-injured/74362
Old 13th September 2020, 21:26   #31557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yet another sad accident on Durgapur Expressway involving a sand truck. A senior lady police inspector along with her body guard and driver was killed on the spot.
This incident is an exact replica of what happened with me and almost very close to the exact spot as well. Just that Airbags saved me and my friend and I am alive to tell the tale. In my case, the sand filled truck took half of the carriageway of the side as well. In an overtaking maneuver, in order to avoid a slow moving trawler and some potholes, the car got exactly banged the way as the accident above.

It's about time authorities act on these illegally parked trucks along the highway but then I also know, that ain't happening anytime soon. The stretch has had enough accidents already and there will be accidents in future as well. It is sad that lives are lost due to corrupt practices and non maintenance of roads for which we pay tolls.

Quote:
What the media is not saying anywhere is, the return leg on Nh2 towards Kolkata is now filled with small to big sized potholes, few are big enough to damage a car or cause an accident. Quite a few accidents took place recently, just to avoid these potholes at the last moment. This can very well be the cause over here too!
My exact thoughts, this stretch has become a complete disaster now and it's anybody's guess why the apathy in maintaining such a crucial part of NH2. It's easy to blame the driver now that he is not alive. Journalism these days has reached it's nadir and everyone just puts some words to fills the pages without any substantial proof and that is equally sad if not irresponsible!

Quote:
In nut shell this stretch has become a mess and the authorities do not take any action. Unruly sand trucks, road filled with pot holes, huge traffic jam at the Dankuni toll is what the regular commuters face.
As I look back, I feel sad for the lives lost and I can't help but think that Airbags saved me from near fatality. I can't but emphasize the importance of airbags and seat belts enough. Until the killer stretch is repaired fully, it's on us to dodge the minefield of potholes and pray.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 22:02   #31558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
One More Nexon from Facebook. Looks like overspeeding in rain
Very surprising as to how people can go crazy in wet and dangerous road conditions. Today took my City for a spin after a long time. There was incessant rain since morning and hence roads were pretty soaked up. On a particularly nasty stretch I slowed down enough to allow bikers to come into my lane since there were muddy puddles and slush that covered an entire lane in the left. There was this 800 honking madly behind me like I am blocking his path!!! There were no hazard lights or blinkers indicating emergency from his end. He went on to do a risky overtake leading me to stop and take a breath. After all these stunts within the next few seconds that guy turns away from the main road into a small bylane probably to go home!!!

Last edited by ampere : 13th September 2020 at 22:40. Reason: typo fixed
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 03:15   #31559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
One More Nexon from Facebook. Looks like overspeeding in rain

Hi, this is a pretty old accident, and had been discussed in this thread previously.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4828218
WhiteSierra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:20   #31560
BHPian

I would stick my neck out and say it's completely the fault of Biker.
Here is why - Biker appeared in the frame at .23 seconds and hit auto at .25 second, covered the distance of 60-70 meter in matter of 2 seconds. Biker apparently did not even see the indicator of Auto, oblivious of the fact that Auto started turning when biker entered the frame.
Biker was surely doing speed of 100-120 kmph, looking at his coverage of 60-70 meters in 2 seconds. Single carriage road is fit for max 50-60 kmph.

If biker was within 50-60kmph speed, he would have had additional 2-3 seconds to see the auto, it's indicator and his intention to turn. Last but not the least, there was no sign of breaking by biker.

IMO, bikers is solely responsible as he was driving dangerously high speed, was unattentive to other road users and failed to take steps (breaks) to avoid the crash.

Auto driver on the other hand, put on his indicator, waited good 20 seconds for other vehicle to pass and turned only when he did not see anyone for 60-70 meters. Only mistake he did was not expecting a dare devil rider, on a suicide mission. My sympathies are with Auto driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss
We've seen this kind of accidents quite often in this thread.

Last edited by Acharya : 14th September 2020 at 10:22.
Acharya is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks