Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:44   #31606
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=pr8RuGGSo1w

Trying to board tractor while on motion. What on earth was he thinking??
Horrible and thankfully it happened in front of the eyes of CCTV otherwise tractor driver would have to bear full blame of this stupidity.
100Rabh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:51   #31607
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=pr8RuGGSo1w

Horrible to watch!

Regarding your sarcastic question, here is my guess of what he might have been thinking: "I have done this numerous times successfully, by now I can do this with my eyes closed"
srvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:42   #31608
BHPian

Quote:

OMG, this looks scary. Not blaming the tractor driver but the tractor driver saw him asking for a lift or something, he should have slown down the vehicle atleast. No one would board a tractor like that, especially the rear bigger wheels being almost the size of a full grown human. While few people are battling and losing lives to the deadly corona virus, few are losing lives performing such stupid stunts.
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:33   #31609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Rabh View Post
..otherwise tractor driver would have to bear full blame of this stupidity.
Something similar happened in my hometown few years back when a guy tried to climb on a moving tractor (between tractor and trolly), with the same end result. Deceased's family did a brief road blockage, asking action against the driver and compensation. Thankfully, for the driver, it was a busy road with many witnesses, so he didn't get to go through the grind !

Unfortunately it's not an uncommon practice to try and climb a moving tractor, can be seen rampantly in rural areas
RaviK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 22:26   #31610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviK View Post
Unfortunately it's not an uncommon practice to try and climb a moving tractor, can be seen rampantly in rural areas
True and the herd mentality of assuming bigger vehicle at fault all the time. Luckily that tractor driver had evidences.
100Rabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 22:55   #31611
BHPian

Quote:

The exact same sequence of events happens every year during the idol immersion process in the festive season (Durga puja, Ganesh Chaturthi etc). It is very sad. Last year a young man died in our locality because of a similar accident.
Old 24th September 2020, 07:07   #31612
Senior - BHPian

Tragic fatal accident at Abids in Hyderabad.
It happens in the blink of an eye. Both bikers lost their lives.
Things to notice:
Haphazard parking and some unloading on the side.
Casual move by biker to cross the road on the wrong side to reach 'his side'
No helmet
Oncoming biker at a speed that made it difficult for him to stop or swerve.
Looks like both bikers could have been more attentive.
Video is graphic and can be seen here:
http://www.thewiseherb.com/crashes/2...to-each-other/
Totally preventable accident and fatality.
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 08:25   #31613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Things to notice:
No helmet

Sad to see two lives lost. This is a very unfortunate and totally avoidable accident. This is a very common type of accident in India, most of the 2 wheelers go in a wrong route (against the oncoming traffic). I completed 10K kms on my fascino, till date, I never ever rode in the wrong lane. This is the most I fear when I ride a 2 wheeler. (head on collision & getting hit by on coming traffic). Come on we don't have an extra large metal bumper or a huge bonnet infront of ourselves to protect incase of any head on collision.

This accident could be easily avoided even if the pulsar rider was on wrong side of the road by 2 simple precautions

1. Turning on the headlight
2. Use an indicator

These would alert people coming from opposite side atleast.

Access guy was also equally wrong for over speeding, looks like he was doing atleast 60 kmph when he hit the biker who was completely in dark from this guy's view. 40 in city limits is good enough for a scooter with puny tires.
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:03   #31614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Things to notice:
No helmet
Thankfully they did not take out any other road users in their bid to win Darwin's award!!! One biker was treating a peak hour city road like it was a race track. We know what happened to poor Gaurav gill even on the so called racing tracks!!! The other biker was cutting across from the wrong lane as if he was driving an ambulance without even bothering to look at the opposite direction traffic let alone on the lane he was joining(possibly drunk coz any sane person would not have done such cardinal mistakes).
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 19:56   #31615
Distinguished - BHPian

Though this is not an accident, I am posting this because this shows the major reason why many die in road accidents - Lack of patience

Here is today's footage from my dashcam. At this particular spot, a bolero tries to make a u-turn. Obviously, there isn't much space to make the turn in one go, and the driver had to reverse.

But none of the oncoming vehicles cared to wait and they kept driving, leaving no chance for the bolero to reverse. Irked by this, a passenger from the bolero gets down, all hyped up and aggressive, and bad mouths one of the two-wheeler riders, who appears to be an elderly man. That man gets angry and raises his arm as a slapping gesture. By that time, another man gets down from the bolero, approaching the duo with an aggressive body language.

This point in time, I knew things could get real bad, and started shouting from my car to break it up and keep moving, with my windows rolled down.

I (violet t-shirt) had to get down and sternly tell them to keep moving, and had to stop the oncoming traffic for about 30 seconds for the bolero to reverse. The dashcam stops recording as I turned the ignition off when stepping out of the car.

It is a matter of about half a minute, and we lack the maturity and patience to be kind to other humans. If we look at most of the videos in this thread, a 5 second patience would have prevented most of the mishaps.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 24th September 2020 at 20:02.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 20:42   #31616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
It is a matter of about half a minute, and we lack the maturity and patience to be kind to other humans.
I agree. From what I've experienced, there is a lack of common sense as well especially among 2-wheeler riders. When the car (in such a scenario) is moving forward, all of them try to pass from the front. And when the car is backing up, they'll pass through the rear till there is no space left to squeeze through.

Squeezing through a gap is still alright but squeezing through a "decreasing" gap is not.

Last edited by self_driven : 24th September 2020 at 20:43.
self_driven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 22:06   #31617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
a 5 second patience would have prevented most of the mishaps.
I find it beyond belief that nobody will wait for someone to complete a manoeuvre. Of course, I do believe it: seen it many times.

Thad E Ginathom is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 00:49   #31618

SX4 - Outskirts of Hyderabad. Arbitrary barrier put across the highway by local residents made of granite stones, sandbags and aluminum tubing - without any safety markers. Driver did not see it on a dark and wet night (it was raining very heavily). Swerved to avoid it at the last possible minute. Instead of a head-on, the car hit the stacked sandbags. Police complaint has been filed against Unknown Persons for obstructing a public carriageway.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-arbitary_barricade_2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-arbitary_barricade.jpg

Santro - Heavy metal beam from a construction rig was attracted to the vehicle. Luckily the senior citizen driving the car escaped with only slight cuts and bruises and a severe shock.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-metal_beam.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-metal_beam_2.jpg
AttyBhai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:01   #31619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I agree. From what I've experienced, there is a lack of common sense as well especially among 2-wheeler riders. When the car (in such a scenario) is moving forward, all of them try to pass from the front. And when the car is backing up, they'll pass through the rear till there is no space left to squeeze through.

Squeezing through a gap is still alright but squeezing through a "decreasing" gap is not.
On the other end many of these bigger vehicles take U turns in the middle of busy roads or intersections where there is no signal indicating that it is safe to do so. Abroad such behaviour will invite a dangerous driving ticket and fine. Many of our road users think taking such u-turn will save them tons of money to build that castle of theirs. During my stay in Sweden where people honk only in emergency situations this act of holding up traffic used to piss them off into a honking frenzy. When I drive here I make it a point to make such u-turns only on signals or after getting into a small bylane if available or via a parallel street. Saves me unnecessary trouble and I do not end up holding traffic for others.
venbas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 16:24   #31620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I find it beyond belief that nobody will wait for someone to complete a manoeuvre. Of course, I do believe it: seen it many times.

A lot of issue that I have seen around people being impatient, aggressive or for that matter just stupid while driving/riding in India may be just attributed to how Insurances and Law & Order works. In countries like US, and here in Australia people wait and may really wait for minutes without honking or getting aggressive. Here, if you are at fault, it could affect your insurance significantly. You may be imposed with fines and demerit points which will eventually make you lose your license to drive.

Another very big factor is how one gets the license - you must stay on a Learners license for a year, and maintain a log book with the driving times. Only after a certain number of hours, you are eligible for Provisional 1 which has restrictions like speed, use of phone (even for navigation) and driving times. Then you move to Provisional 2 and stay on that for another 2 years. In all these cases there's zero alcohol limit, fewer demerit points allowance (i.e. fewer chances to make mistakes) besides other restrictions. This means that before you are considered a full license holder, you have spent upto 4 years on L/P1/P2 license. Compare that to India, where even though these restrictions/processes exists, these are not enforced by Police or even the parents allowing their kids to drive/ride.

I just feel that the system is so badly messed up, it may just take an entire generation to fix this - if at all that's possible.
das_treiber is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed