Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 16:33   #31666
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
but when the load drops out of the sky?
I would doubt whether there will be any car which can withstand such loads falling on the roof from a height. People can take some care while overtaking/crossing such trucks, but we never expect that things will fall from the sky. Feel sorry for the car occupants who are victims of a failed system
airbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:43   #31667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
As far as I know, a truck is not allowed on any flyover in the city. Please correct me if I am wrong!

When will our authorities address the real issue here?
Apart from trucks plying freely on Flyovers, the Road surface on these flyovers in Thane is in a pathetic state. Speculation is that the truck went off balance due massive crater like potholes on the flyover which led to the load falling off.
Maverick5490 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 07:32   #31668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, nightmare! We all of know to stay clear of badly- or over-loaded trucks, but when the load drops out of the sky?
All the rules of seatbelts, no parking areas, safe driving, emission certificates, fitness certificates, regulated headlamps or horns apply only to the educated class or private owners.

Trucks, lorries and buses do their best to overload as unscientifically as possible, emit as much thick black soot as possible, drive as rashly as possible and also drink while driving (we happened to use the services of transport people but after knowing how they treat imported materials and have zero regard for road rules, I stopped them and bring smaller quantities via 3 wheeled carriers now).

Poor brakes, literally zero fitness and overworked/inebriated drivers, driving 15/20 feet wide behemoths is a recipe for disaster, all it takes is one graze into the wall and the rest of the truck will tip out gladly, pouring out the heavy shipment into the road where an unexpected soul will have to meet his/her maker.

We the countrymen neither want change, nor deserve it, else we'd have done something about it.
dark.knight is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 07:35   #31669
Senior - BHPian

A lot of accidents in India happen at junctions..
Some things learnt from this crash
1. Exercising caution when entering a main road
2. Knowledge of right of way
3. Defensive driving when driving on a main road at junctions.
4. Design of junctions and use of traffic lights can be improved.
This looks like a main road rather than a highway, but I may be wrong.
It's not clear to me if the biker was wearing a helmet
I couldn't find news reports on the outcome for the biker.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th October 2020 at 19:18. Reason: typo
BenjiRoss is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 09:15   #31670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
https://Youtu.be/s4CHUjtRTHo

Some things learnt from this crash
1. Exercising caution when entering a min road
2. Knowledge of right of way
3. Defensive driving when driving on a main road at junctions.
4. Design of junctions and use of traffic lights can be improved.
This looks like a main road rather than a highway, but I may be wrong.
It's not clear to me if the biker was wearing a helmet
I couldn't find news reports on the outcome for the biker.

Who is at fault here? I would definitely go with the person on Activa.

There is no way a car can stop in such short period of time even after hard braking, had he swerved towards left and braked, the Honda Amaze on the left lane would have rear ended him. Alto driver should also have been vigilant and little slow in junctions, but that's the average speed where other cars are also commuting on the main highway. The activa rider did not even look at the on coming traffic. I hope this guy is alive. The situation would have been much worse if there was a bus or lorry instead of Alto.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 10:50   #31671
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Who is at fault here? I would definitely go with the person on Activa.
The vehicle entering the Highway has to "give way" to vehicles already plying on the highway, the rider has to look and judge the speed of the vehicle and assume that the vehicle on the Highway is not giving way and enter after the way is clear.

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th October 2020 at 22:32. Reason: Trimmed quote
setuniket is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:28   #31672
BHPian

Quote:
We all of know to stay clear of badly- or over-loaded trucks, but when the load drops out of the sky?
God help us! that's one more new thing to worry about. Driving under a flyover or below it is another "new-age" risk.

There were some groups few years back who were very vocal about the need for increasing the height of the barrier on flyovers to a min. of 8 feet or so. Precisely the same argument was put in that if a vehicle or load topples over, it will cause serious damage to people / vehicles below. But I believe this was shot down saying that it is highly improbable occurrence.. Seeing the spate of these kind of issues happening across the country now, I think the authorities should seriously evaluate the need for increasing the height of the parapet wall of fly-overs. Few months back there were pictures of a car zooming off a flyover and killing two pedestrians below in hyderabad. With the newer, faster cars and bikes and with the callous/careless attitude of our drivers, I don't have much hope that our people will drive prudently. So maybe it is better we have something which will prevent these idiots from falling off the flyover and killing/maiming innocents below.

Last edited by haria : 6th October 2020 at 14:33.
haria is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:18   #31673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A lot of accidents in India happen at junctions...
Nothing to do with the main story, but notice the biker just standing there at the entrance to that road. A few metres further, and closer to the edge, fine, but just there is so dangerous.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:56   #31674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
So maybe it is better we have something which will prevent these idiots from falling off the flyover and killing/maiming innocents below.
The driving license issuing process should be strictly revised and pass rate drastically reduced. In view of our Indian conditions, driving license holder should be as responsible as a commercial pilot license holder. It will not only result is better driving skills, lesser accidents, less traffic and also better utilization of public transport facilities.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th October 2020 at 19:20. Reason: typos
Akash.D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 20:50   #31675
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

W.r.t the flyover toppling of truck discussed above :

1. Overloading , and more importantly wilful ignorance of the concept of center of gravity
2. The pathetic manner in which flyover expansion joints are finished.

1 is a prime candidate to suffer a catastrophic lateral momentum change when hitting a severe case of 2 at moderate to high speed.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 21:04   #31676
Senior - BHPian

When will some better sense prevail

Atal tunnel: 3 accidents in 72 hours as drivers rush in to race for selfies
Quote:
Since its inauguration, the Atal tunnel in Himachal Pradesh has seen three accidents. A BRO official said there has been complete chaos with tourists from Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh taking selfies and overspeeding in the tunnel.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 21:41   #31677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
When will some better sense prevail
Only when instant karma is served. Until they have automated traffic violation detection and penalizing methods, our junta will not care. We already have strict penalties but enforcement is tough given our huge law un-abiding populace.
The need of the hour is not heavy fines but instant and consistent fines. Fines should be in the form where it hurts the most. For example, if you are caught overspending, your DTH connection will be frozen and you need to get signature of 3 government office peons to unfreeze or fight in court. If you jump red signal, your electricity supply will be cut and you need write apology letter and get signature from families of 3 accident victims and attested by your area police inspector before you get electricity or something like that.

These may sound silly and funny but trust me our junta will care more about DTH and electricity than a 10000Rs fine which can be reduced to 500Rs if you know where to grease. Having such non monetary but pinching punishments will ensure that both rich and the poor will abide by the rules, if automated. Sorry for going off topic but I am sick of seeing our people's stupidity on road.
nagr22 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 08:33   #31678
BHPian

Early morning news
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-6ffd8e15896e497eb9c3872cf694f5e8.jpeg  

Old 7th October 2020, 11:28   #31679
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg

Quote from the news article:

In an accident that involved over a dozen vehicles during peak traffic hours, one person died and at least eight persons were injured after a heavily-loaded truck rammed six four-wheelers and eight two-wheelers on Katraj-Dehu Road bypass on Tuesday morning.
The accident took place next to the premises of a school, near Navale Bridge, around 10.30 am. One biker, identified as Shubham Supekar (24), was killed on the spot while eight people from the other vehicles were injured. At least five of them are reportedly in serious condition, said police officials.

“As per our preliminary information, the driver lost control of the heavily-loaded vehicle, possibly because of a tyre burst. It hit at least six four-wheelers and eight two-wheelers from the rear as the driver failed to control it. One person was killed on the spot and at least eight more sustained injuries. Our teams from local police stations rushed to the spot…,” said Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Sarjerao Babar of Swargate Division of Pune City Police.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...icles-6705769/

Last edited by shajoshi : 7th October 2020 at 11:51. Reason: Adding video link
shajoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 15:45   #31680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Early morning news
My brother in law (wife's cousin brother) & his colleague, expired in this accident, today morning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks