Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2020, 23:04   #31786
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Yet another case of an accident caused due to wet roads in rainy weather
There are no accidents caused by wet roads. Especially in rainy weather, when it is hardly a surprise!

But when a biker throws himself on the road right in front of you, some luck as well as skill and alertness, comes in handy. Kudos to that bus driver!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 01:04   #31787
BHPian

A truck carrying tomatoes lost control and fell off the NH onto this side road parallel to the NH (just 20 meters from my home). This happened two days back, early in the morning (probably fell asleep behind the wheel). This section is particularly prone to accidents as this is not the first time this has happened. Sorry for the potato (or should I say tomato) quality images

The truck was actually traveling in the opposite direction it is facing now. Driver is safe with only minor injuries.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20201016_0837362.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20201016_0837132.jpg  

BoJack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 10:25   #31788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Can skip to 44th second of this video.
Yet another case of an accident caused due to wet roads in rainy weather. Here, the alertness of bus driver saved the day
What left a mark on the road while he fell? Kickstand? Thankfully the bus driver was driving in sane speeds (i assume) and his alertness saved a life.
Old 19th October 2020, 11:57   #31789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I think the harrier must have suffered a bit of radiator damage for sure....
In all such incidents, appearances can be deceptive. Although the Harrier doesn't seem to have been impacted much externally, the repair sheet will be pretty long with a big fat bill (most likely borne by insurance).
Old 20th October 2020, 11:56   #31790
Senior - BHPian

Came across a news item in today's TOI where a biker was killed all because of the driver of a parked car opened his door suddenly without looking around. The biker rammed into the door and in the impact was flung on the road only to be run over fatally by a truck. While the car driver is primarily at fault here, the truck driver has been arrested for causing death due to negligent driving. This is not the first time I am hearing of such incidents where the driver of the vehicle that caused the death is being charged whereas the one that is actually responsible for the incident isn't. Can someone enlighten me with the logic behind this?
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:57   #31791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Can someone enlighten me with the logic behind this?
So sad that us two wheeler riders always have to bear the consequences of someone's moronic road manners. In this case, the car driver should be booked. But alas, kanoon andha he
Old 20th October 2020, 14:33   #31792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Came across a news item in today's TOI where a biker was killed all because of the driver of a parked car opened his door suddenly without looking around. The biker rammed into the door and in the impact was flung on the road only to be run over fatally by a truck. While the car driver is primarily at fault here, the truck driver has been arrested for causing death due to negligent driving. ... ... ...
While the car driver is primarily at fault here...

I put this in the rules for passengers thread only a couple of days ago. Look both ways before opening a door, as even a passenger can kill a biker. So, sure, I would prosecute the driver.

But, as in many of our discussions, the fault may not be directly attributable to the victim, but cautious and defensive driving would have saved him. In my learning, I was taught the idea of the safety line. Keeping clear of other vehicles, even stopped or parked ones. Don't drive or ride so close that a carelessly-opened door is going to kill you.

The arrest of the truck driver is dumb, stupid and incomprehensible. Do these cases get as far as court? Are there convictions? That is the news that is never reported: media interest, after the accident itself, unless a star is involved, is zero.

The courts could make a positive change here by issuing some stern education to the police. No idea if that is ever likely to happen.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 23:49   #31793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across a news item in today's TOI where a biker was killed all because of the driver of a parked car opened his door suddenly without looking around.
This is not the first time I am hearing of such incidents where the driver of the vehicle that caused the death is being charged whereas the one that is actually responsible for the incident isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
[i]
The arrest of the truck driver is dumb, stupid and incomprehensible. Do these cases get as far as court? Are there convictions? That is the news that is never reported: media interest, after the accident itself, unless a star is involved, is zero.

The courts could make a positive change here by issuing some stern education to the police. No idea if that is ever likely to happen.
In these days, almost every accident have video evidence from CCTV's. There was one very similar incident to that of what rr_zen mentioned in this thread itself.
With such solid proof at disposable, its equally culpable if the innocent is punished.

Another example from the archives (Its old and sorry for going OT).

Look at the magnitude of harm caused by one persons' irresponsible attitude. And he is least bothered

'Hoping' for empathy should not drive justice. MVD's should take note of these video evidences, in public interest and punish the real culprits. Else they will never learn and such murderers will roam free. Exploring such modes for deriving judgement could lead to finding a solution to the problem stated.
sarathlal is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 00:39   #31794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There are no accidents caused by wet roads. Especially in rainy weather, when it is hardly a surprise!

But when a biker throws himself on the road right in front of you, some luck as well as skill and alertness, comes in handy. Kudos to that bus driver!
Very few people replace the tires of their scooters or motorcycles before the rainy season, especially when the tires have gone bald. People just wait for a puncture to take a look at the tires. The saving grace is regular service - most service advisors at dealers recommend tires to be replaced during regular service.

I have seen people who put a lot of miles, and skip on service intervals, not inspect their tread. Like courier/delivery folks. Their lives depend on 2 tiny patches of rubber, but they are oblivious to its performance.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 03:48   #31795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Very few people replace the tires of their scooters or motorcycles before the rainy season ... ... ...
True, no doubt. Even worse, very few people adjust their driving style to rain or wet roads. That is the worst thing: even with good tyres, they cannot stop short, because they have not allowed the extra distance.

All these things are firmly to be blamed on the driver, not the road.

It reminds me of another of my dad's lessons. I don't know if this was ever actually a British driving-test question, but he made sure that I was prepared for it, and learnt the lesson...

What causes a skid?

Ice? --- No.
Water? --- No.
Mud? --- No.
Gravel? --- No.

Don't know how many other answers I tried.

What causes a skid? The Driver.

I don't know why that lucky two-wheeler ended up on the road, but I'm absolutely sure it wasn't the road's fault.

This lesson is brought to you in memory of Thad's Dad

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st October 2020 at 03:49.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 08:10   #31796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone enlighten me with the logic behind this?
India is an illogical country, that is the reason people keep idols inside the car, and lemon-chili outside.. because when you're on the road, you'll need every ounce of good luck, fortune and positivity you can gather.

Here people are talking about hitting triple digit speeds like popping a candy, accidents such as above happen in way less than 40-50 kmph because its impossible to come to a grinding halt within 20-30 feet when driving at city speeds and when the truck would've observed the flying rider it would've been already too late to brake (assuming since the video isn't there).

There are no parking spots in India, and I hope for a day that all future parking becomes slanted parallel parking so that entry and exit goes on unhindered, road expansions must result in provision of parking spaces, pick-up kerbs or policing kerbs as well like in America, the police (so called) in India should only flag violators in the kerbs which would be about a 100 feet by 8 feet clear parking area encroaching the walking path (but road level) and not on the road.

I remember a time when a water tanker grazed or hit a bicyclist and in pitch dark, he went flying by with the cycle also tumbling away, I could only sense that something was amiss and brought it to a full halt and since I was going only at 20 kmph in the pitch black road, it was easy and what I found was a bleeding man lying just about 10 feet away from the car.. I can only thank my stars that day and I swore never to take that road again.

We keep infighting over here, but governments get away with zero street lighting, no car parking provisions and zero safety awareness training (traffic accidents have killed way more than COVID and yet the COVID safety awareness is shouted off of rooftops, in banners, in phone messages, billions of SMS's etc, why cant the rulers do the same with road awareness as well?

As for this accident case, the car driver is at fault, the truck driver is also at fault - do anything to avoid a fatality, even if it's disciplining your mind to go at slow speeds and not recklessly change lanes, truckers just drive like they are the gods of the road.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 21:25   #31797
Senior - BHPian

A couple (customs official and his wife) on a bike took a sharp turn on the Murasoli Maran Flyover in Perambur, Chennai a bit too fast, slammed into the parapet wall and fell 30 feet off the flyover.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/78817434.cms
Old 24th October 2020, 12:05   #31798
Senior - BHPian

That flyover doesn't seem to be having such a sharp curve to lose control. The rider must not have been alert. Are the flyover roads not slightly banked at the curves like the normal roads?
Old 24th October 2020, 12:49   #31799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
That flyover doesn't seem to be having such a sharp curve to lose control. The rider must not have been alert. Are the flyover roads not slightly banked at the curves like the normal roads?
Unfortunately people are not tested properly for their driving/riding license here in India. Rather than test them strictly before handing out a license to share the road with other users, they will impose ridiculous speed limits, add speed breakers or poorly engineered rumble strips etc. I suppose this is all to do with automotive companies' lobbying efforts as they get more customers if we allow more people to pass their driving/riding license tests.
Old 24th October 2020, 15:07   #31800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Unfortunately people are not tested properly for their driving/riding license here in India.
I saw an newspaper advert for some kind of scooter the other day. It made a big thing of no licence required. I guess it would be a very low power machine. That's a bit like saying it's only a small gun.
Quote:
I suppose this is all to do with automotive companies' lobbying efforts as they get more customers if we allow more people to pass their driving/riding license tests.
It would be nice to think that there was some sort of brainwork behind it, however ill-intentioned. Frankly, I think it is just apathy at all levels, from motorist to governments, and lack of importance for life, even one's own.

Motor companies are doing fine in countries that have good licencing/enforcement systems.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th October 2020 at 15:08.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks